Sequentix Cirklon

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

stickman
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Sequentix Cirklon

Post by stickman »

Cass wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:42 pm
Does it go further than 5x midi and 6x usb totalling 11 instruments?
I think technically it supports 17; you can use host with a computer for vsts, or something like a Mio/MPC that can act as host for the Cirklon.

A couple of questions for curiosity..

Does much of your gear support class compliant midi usb? (MicroFreak does).. might mitigate need for another midi hub.

Do you need >11 (or 17) instruments at a given time with the Cirklon?
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

The first ports, numbered 1 to 5, are the standard serial MIDI ports on the rear panel. Next follows the CV port, which represents the internal CVIO option, if present.

Next there are 6 ports assigned to the USB device port, which acts as a class-compliant USB MIDI interface, when connected to a suitable host. These are labelled “usb1” to “usb6”.

For Cirklon 2, there are further rows for up to 16 MIDI ports on a class-compliant USB MIDI interface, attached to the USB host port. These are labelled “hst1” to “hst16”.
Note that only the number of ports supported by the attached device will be active.
Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen »

stickman wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:28 am
I think technically it supports 17; you can use host with a computer for vsts, or something like a Mio/MPC that can act as host for the Cirklon.

Does much of your gear support class compliant midi usb? (MicroFreak does).. might mitigate need for another midi hub.

As far as I understood there are 5 DIN Midi ports, 6 USB Midi ports and on the Cirklon 2 16 USB-Host Midi ports via a simple class compliant Midi-interface like the Miditech Midiface 16x16. Every port has 16 channels then. I mostly use one channel per instrument. Only a few need more that one Midi channel. Mostly mulitimbral rack synths in my case or the SU700 sampler that needs one channel per track when controlled externally. That way I count up to 432 instruments.
dubonaire wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:11 pm
Cass wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:47 pm Thank you. I shall work on this and try to get my head around it. Apparently my interface isn’t class compliant which is a great start 👍 but looking into others to find one that works. Thanks again.
Like Sinamsis I use an iConnectivity Mio, I have the 10, the predecessor to the XL. I recommend them. I use the 5 DIN MIDI ports on the Cirklon for my main instruments and use the Mio for other instruments. I also use the Mio for my controllers into Cirklon. I do it this way because I like the routing options.

I also recommend when you have a lot of connections to document them. I use an online flow charter called diagrams.net.

I sometimes use hardware MIDI THRU for cable management reasons and have no problem with it, only one chain though.
I think I will hit a wall with Midi through (provided on synths and a Kenton box) in the near future. I wonder what the general experiences or recommendations regarding interfaces are. Should I go for the MioXL, find a Mio10 or hope to get my Cirklon 2 upgrade kit in near future and just get the Miditech then and stay relatively simple? Especially the differences in features between MioXL, Mio10 and a simple class comlpliant interface in connection with the Cirklon 2 are not clear to me. by now I mostly connect one channel to on e instrument and did not get really deep into what Midi can do with experienced routing.
Last edited by Leverkusen on Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
stickman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by stickman »

^-- oops yep you're both right! (I misremembered 6 instead of 16 HST..)
gminorcoles
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gminorcoles »

dubonaire wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:49 am
gminorcoles wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:58 pm if you post questions on the sequential forum you probably won't get any reponse, or a passive aggressive response. buying super niche cult gear has its pitfalls.
I think mean you the Sequentix forum. Easy typo. I don’t agree, and if you ask a new question about functionality you’ll often get a considered response from Colin.

Super niche cult gear? WTF is niche about a sequencer? :despair:

Oh wait, just read a bunch of posts by you about this sequencer. Had no idea a piece of hardware could do this to someone. My sympathies dude.
I am fucking bitter as hell that my mpc 4000 died and there is no good sequencing solution and no hope for one anytime soon. This sucks.
gentleclockdivider
Common Wiggler

Post by gentleclockdivider »

True , the cirklon is amazing but imho it's has a lot of bugs , especcialy the ck patterns
I discover at least a bug every few days , a bug posted a month ago still hasn't got any response from Colin
Latest one I found , which rarely happens but it does happen is adjusting the grid view rapidly in a ck pattern , all of a sudden the ck pattern stops ouputting midi .
Also experienced a frozen unit while executing a quantize job on a ck patttern .
The hype about the cirklon is totally justified , but damn those start up "don't panic ' screens don't make my day
The usb out is godsend , you get 6 ports for a whopping 96 midi channels to control your vst's , or you can just reassign you tracks and record your midi straight to pc over usb
Haven't used the usb Host port yet which allegedly has 16 usb ports , combined with the regular usb we've got 352 midi channels over usb
gentleclockdivider
Common Wiggler

Leverkusen wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:21 am

As far as I understood there are 5 DIN Midi ports, 6 USB Midi ports and on the Cirklon 2 16 USB-Host Midi ports via a simple class compliant Midi-interface like the Miditech Midiface 16x16. Every port has 16 channels then. I mostly use one channel per instrument. Only a few need more that one Midi channel. Mostly mulitimbral rack synths in my case or the SU700 sampler that needs one channel per track when controlled externally. That way I count up to 432 instruments.
Cass wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:47 pm Thank you. I shall work on this and try to get my head around it. Apparently my interface isn’t class compliant which is a great start 👍 but looking into others to find one that works. Thanks again.
Like Sinamsis I use an iConnectivity Mio, I have the 10, the predecessor to the XL. I recommend them. I use the 5 DIN MIDI ports on the Cirklon for my main instruments and use the Mio for other instruments. I also use the Mio for my controllers into Cirklon. I do it this way because I like the routing options.

I also recommend when you have a lot of connections to document them. I use an online flow charter called diagrams.net.

I sometimes use hardware MIDI THRU for cable management reasons and have no problem with it, only one chain though.
I think I will hit a wall with Midi through (provided on synths and a Kenton box) in the near future. I wonder what the general experiences or recommendations regarding interfaces are. Should I go for the MioXL, find a Mio10 or hope to get my Cirklon 2 upgrade kit in near future and just get the Miditech then and stay relatively simple? Especially the differences in features between MioXL, Mio10 and a simple class comlpliant interface in connection with the Cirklon 2 are not clear to me. by now I mostly connect one channel to on e instrument and did not get really deep into what Midi can do with experienced routing.
The usb = 6 ports , where each ports has 16 channels
This was already on the cirklon V1
The v2 ads an additional USB host out with 16 ports
That being said , I canýt believe you already used up your serial midi ports
ONe port is 16 channels , so if you want to control multiple synths from one port you get a mid thru box , it's more reliable compared to thru ports on your synths since it directly routes the incoming data to the out ports
gentleclockdivider
Common Wiggler

Leverkusen wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:21 am

The usb = 6 ports , where each ports has 16 channels
This was already on the cirklon V1
The v2 ads an additional USB host out with 16 ports
That being said , I canýt believe you already used up your serial midi ports
ONe port is 16 channels , so if you want to control multiple synths from one port you get a mid thru/splitter box , it's more reliable compared to thru ports on your synths since it directly routes the incoming data to the out ports
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:40 pm True , the cirklon is amazing but imho it's has a lot of bugs , especcialy the ck patterns
I discover at least a bug every few days , a bug posted a month ago still hasn't got any response from Colin
Latest one I found , which rarely happens but it does happen is adjusting the grid view rapidly in a ck pattern , all of a sudden the ck pattern stops ouputting midi .
Also experienced a frozen unit while executing a quantize job on a ck patttern .
The hype about the cirklon is totally justified , but damn those start up "don't panic ' screens don't make my day
Assuming you are using the same username, I've seen all your bug reports in the Cirklon forum. It seems that a lot of them are not bugs but simply how the system is designed. Either way, Colin is pretty exceptional at fixing bugs and updating the OS, and he appears extremely patient and overall very responsive in responding to your reports.

Maybe I'm lucky or I don't push it hard enough, but I've never encountered a Don't Panic screen in the almost 5 years since I first used mine.
gentleclockdivider
Common Wiggler

dubonaire wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:19 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:40 pm True , the cirklon is amazing but imho it's has a lot of bugs , especcialy the ck patterns
Assuming you are using the same username, I've seen all your bug reports in the Cirklon forum. It seems that a lot of them are not bugs but simply how the system is designed. Either way, Colin is pretty exceptional at fixing bugs and updating the OS, and he appears extremely patient and overall very responsive in responding to your reports.

Maybe I'm lucky or I don't push it hard enough, but I've never encountered a Don't Panic screen in the almost 5 years since I first used mine.
I agree , some are indeed design decisions , other are just bugs ( that will be fixed eventually )
Bugs I reported and that are solved or are being solved ( mind you that I only have the cirklon for about 2 months 0
-Jumping from ck bar view to cc view didn't record cc;s : solved
-Stop cirklon during fill patttern play , fill will keep playing endlessly ( without any led indication ) when cirklon sequencer is restarted : fixed for next build
And there are others , it's just a matter of time before these get aknowledged
Don't get me wrong , I absolutely Love the cirklon , workflow-build - sequencing capabilities etc... :sb:
Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer »

I’ve managed to get my paws on an original Cirklon but it doesn’t have the CVIO board available, anybody know if I can still get one somehow?
joskery
Veteran Wiggler

Post by joskery »

Dcramer wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:08 am I’ve managed to get my paws on an original Cirklon but it doesn’t have the CVIO board available, anybody know if I can still get one somehow?
Yup! In stock at sequentix.com. Congrats on the paw-getting.
minimalist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by minimalist »

joskery wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:22 am
Dcramer wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:08 am I’ve managed to get my paws on an original Cirklon but it doesn’t have the CVIO board available, anybody know if I can still get one somehow?
Also easy to install. There is a YouTube video showing how to do. No soldering required. Just plug and play! :)
stickman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by stickman »

Does anyone have an inside scoop on when rtp midi support might come?
Bath House
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Bath House »

Cass wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:25 pm Looking for some help in understanding how to link my Cirklon with a midi interface? I'm new here and it seems to be impossible to find anyone willing to discuss Cirklon elsewhere! Pls help! TIA

I have run an extremely detailed thread about this on the Cirklon forum here: http://forum.sequentix.com/viewtopic.php?t=3300
Catholic Roland Modular New Age Acid:
www.goodglassrecords.com
monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads »

stickman wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:49 am Does anyone have an inside scoop on when rtp midi support might come?
Interested on knowing deployment of this too.
Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer »

minimalist wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:31 am
joskery wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:22 am
Also easy to install. There is a YouTube video showing how to do. No soldering required. Just plug and play! :)
Thanks!
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

You're probably keen to get it driving your modular, but if you are considering getting the V2 upgrade kit you could do both at once.
Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer »

How does the upgrade kit work? I’m so confused about the Cirklon hardware!
monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads »

Dcramer wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:29 pm How does the upgrade kit work? I’m so confused about the Cirklon hardware!
It upgrades the LCD, a few PCBs (hardware upgrades)/back panel. What was confusing was how to get on the kit upgrade list as it was never officially announced. Users just started posting "please place me on the list!!!"....and if you didn't send an email regarding you were NEVER added!!! Sorta messed up. There should've been an official 'sign-up' form to fill out/confirm prior to any launch thereof.
Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer »

Interesting because I got mine from a friend and there’s an extra LCD panel in the box with it, I just have no way of knowing if the new one was installed or if that is the new one?
Is there a ver 2 OS that’s supposed to be installed with it?
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

Dcramer wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:59 pm Interesting because I got mine from a friend and there’s an extra LCD panel in the box with it, I just have no way of knowing if the new one was installed or if that is the new one?
Is there a ver 2 OS that’s supposed to be installed with it?
Upgrade kits are not available yet. It may be that you have an early model and the LCD panel was replaced or needs replacing if it is losing contrast. The new LCD is colour TFT so you would know.

It's important to check your Cirklon's serial # when ordering the CVIO kit and the upgrade kit, because there are physical differences in different number series.

As far as the upgrade kits go, all they are doing is making a list of people to notify when they are available in the shop. That's not a problem for me. I can understand why they didn't set up the same order list as for the Cirklon. The Cirklon is somewhat bespoke per customer and the buying process requires one on one interaction with Barbara. And the Cirklon list seems to consume some people's lives as though their survival depends on having one. Colin started a thread giving updates on upgrade kits which have been plagued by the same component supply problems the whole industry is experiencing, and Barbara kindly offered to keep a list of names for notification. The only reason people started screaming "please place me on the list!!!" like crying babies is because they never bothered to read the whole thread.

No one really needs the upgrade kit at the moment other than for the colour screen. Colin will maintain release updates for both V1 and V2 for the foreseeable future. But the current main board is running out of memory so at some point the additional features that Colin adds over time won't fit on the V1.

If you haven't already you should join the forum. It has a lot of resources including instrument definitions for most popular synths, a lot of people are helpful and Colin is active on the forum.
Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer »

Thanks for all the info, ya, mine is def not colour screen.
I have watched Colin’s vids and have figured out that mine isn’t part of the oldest (one middle screw) batch but it does need a battery change and an OS update.
I’ll check out the forum, it’s a complex beast and I may well be too dumb 🙃
Stice
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Stice »

Stick with it, I thought I was too dumb for a while, but before too long it started to make sense.

Not to say there are still things I don’t get, but even what I know is very powerful.
Turn on. Plug in. Slew down.
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

Dcramer wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:00 am Thanks for all the info, ya, mine is def not colour screen.
I have watched Colin’s vids and have figured out that mine isn’t part of the oldest (one middle screw) batch but it does need a battery change and an OS update.
I’ll check out the forum, it’s a complex beast and I may well be too dumb 🙃
Well, it's clear you are not dumb, and it's not that complex. In fact you can start sequencing almost straight away. But it gets deep if you want to go deep.

Return to “General Gear”