Sequentix Cirklon

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

Stice
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Sequentix Cirklon

Post by Stice »

SPIKE the Percussionist wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:25 am
Stice wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:47 am BTW, I installed my CK2 upgrade kit today, main board and I/O. It was easy and went very smoothly. :tu:
LUCKY!

curious...
they sent me a upgrade kit confirmation email 08/21.
how long did you wait?
I got on the list February 5… 2020 haha. But that was right after the upgrade was announced, long before it was in production, and pre-Covid. Not sure what a wait time would be if you got in now.
Turn on. Plug in. Slew down.
miminashi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miminashi »

Stice wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:21 pm
SPIKE the Percussionist wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:25 am
Stice wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:47 am BTW, I installed my CK2 upgrade kit today, main board and I/O. It was easy and went very smoothly. :tu:
LUCKY!

curious...
they sent me a upgrade kit confirmation email 08/21.
how long did you wait?
I got on the list February 5… 2020 haha. But that was right after the upgrade was announced, long before it was in production, and pre-Covid. Not sure what a wait time would be if you got in now.
Hmm, that's obnoxious ... I got on the list in January 2020 and no kit for me. Oh, well.
chiasticon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by chiasticon »

Stice wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:21 pm I got on the list February 5… 2020 haha. But that was right after the upgrade was announced, long before it was in production, and pre-Covid. Not sure what a wait time would be if you got in now.
well that's great to hear... I got on the upgrade list a full two weeks before you and I've heard nothing from them.
Stice
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Stice »

Weird. Barbara's been very responsive re: the upgrade, I'd send her an email and see what's up with yours.
Turn on. Plug in. Slew down.
izmond
Common Wiggler

Post by izmond »

I emailed with Barbara last week and she said the kits for the real early versions (I have a 2 digit serial #) are not ready yet.
Angroc
Common Wiggler

Post by Angroc »

What's the # cut-off?
Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen »

Angroc wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:56 pm What's the # cut-off?
There is a thread on the sequentix forum discussing that.
chiasticon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by chiasticon »

Stice wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:09 pm Weird. Barbara's been very responsive re: the upgrade, I'd send her an email and see what's up with yours.
I did. no response. but a day later she had time to reply to the forum about upgrade kits...
izmond wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:55 am I emailed with Barbara last week and she said the kits for the real early versions (I have a 2 digit serial #) are not ready yet.
fwiw, she never asked my serial. I bought mine used, so they have no idea which unit I have. and anyway it's well after the "earlier unit" cut off point.
tl3ss
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tl3ss »

Got mine in and I’m still figuring it out, but first thoughts are I like the workflow. Here’s a simple first run with a Nymphes

tdel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tdel »

Looks like my chance to buy a Cirk2 is coming imminently now -- and sooner than expected. I have a general question for users who use the Cirklon to sequence their modular:

I'm contemplating whether the Cirklon (with CVIO, of course) would reasonably replace my Voltage Block for modulation sequencing. Essentially, once I refactor a bit to raise some cash + space for the Cirklon, I'm left with a "3; choose 2" scenario between PNW, Batumi, and VB for modulation in my 7U case. If I chose PNW + Batumi, I'd gain an additional 12hp for additional utility.

What I find most interesting about VB, and potentially difficult to replicate in any strict step sequencer, is putting it in CV mode such that you end up with 16 addressable CV "presets" with 8 outputs each. Essentially treating the VB like a state machine rather than a step sequencer. But, I'm not yet deep enough into the Cirk manual and/or tutorial videos to get a good handle on how much of this functionality I might be able to retain. Any input is appreciated :)
beatcleaver
Wiggling with Experience

Post by beatcleaver »

If I understand you correctly, you want 8 CV outputs each with a constant voltage. Each 8 sets of voltages is a "preset" and you want to be able to switch between 16 or more of these presets.

One way I can think of with the Cirklon is to have 8 tracks, one for each CV output. Each track has one pattern (of course) and each pattern can be set to be one step long. You then set the step's value to whatever is the right CV value you want. If you setup those 8 patterns and save then as a scene, you can use the scene as your preset and jump between any number of scenes.

Kind of an odd setup but maybe there's a better way to do it where you can still use the rest of the CV outputs and change scene as normal.
destroythings
Common Wiggler

Post by destroythings »

tdel wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:44 pm Looks like my chance to buy a Cirk2 is coming imminently now -- and sooner than expected. I have a general question for users who use the Cirklon to sequence their modular:

I'm contemplating whether the Cirklon (with CVIO, of course) would reasonably replace my Voltage Block for modulation sequencing. Essentially, once I refactor a bit to raise some cash + space for the Cirklon, I'm left with a "3; choose 2" scenario between PNW, Batumi, and VB for modulation in my 7U case. If I chose PNW + Batumi, I'd gain an additional 12hp for additional utility.

What I find most interesting about VB, and potentially difficult to replicate in any strict step sequencer, is putting it in CV mode such that you end up with 16 addressable CV "presets" with 8 outputs each. Essentially treating the VB like a state machine rather than a step sequencer. But, I'm not yet deep enough into the Cirk manual and/or tutorial videos to get a good handle on how much of this functionality I might be able to retain. Any input is appreciated :)
You could does this using the "Continuous Controller Editing" function. Page 141 of the manual.

"CK patterns may also contain MIDI Continuous Controller events.
A single event can be entered and edited manually for each tbase step.
Or in real-time record mode (see later chapter), streams of CC events can be captured in track or edit modes using the front panel knobs, or from any CC messages passed by MIDI soft- thru to the assigned instrument.
CC events can be viewed, added and deleted in CK edit using the CC view. To access this view, hold SHIFT and press the ROW encoder."

You would just need to create a Instrument Def that uses all 16 of the CV outputs.
tdel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tdel »

destroythings wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:02 pm
tdel wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:44 pm Looks like my chance to buy a Cirk2 is coming imminently now -- and sooner than expected. I have a general question for users who use the Cirklon to sequence their modular:

You could does this using the "Continuous Controller Editing" function. Page 141 of the manual.

"CK patterns may also contain MIDI Continuous Controller events.
A single event can be entered and edited manually for each tbase step.
Or in real-time record mode (see later chapter), streams of CC events can be captured in track or edit modes using the front panel knobs, or from any CC messages passed by MIDI soft- thru to the assigned instrument.
CC events can be viewed, added and deleted in CK edit using the CC view. To access this view, hold SHIFT and press the ROW encoder."

You would just need to create a Instrument Def that uses all 16 of the CV outputs.
Nice, thanks -- I'll go and have a closer read on that. Sounds a bit like Elektron p-locks, on the surface?
destroythings
Common Wiggler

Post by destroythings »

Yeah it can be similar to P Locks if you use it that way or you have smoother transitions between values if required. Ive used it like the Voltage Block a bunch. Its a really great feature that ive had loads of fun with. If you increase the timebase you can have multiple changes per step
neopl
Common Wiggler

Post by neopl »

Is it possible to Redirect Auxes from a track higher to the tract we want to direct to?

For example, have Auxes From Track 2 redirect to Track 1?

I swear I cannot make that happen, I can only redirect from track 1 to higher tracks, but not from higher tracks to lower tracks.

I would take that as me being confused with Cirklon logic and that this is how it actually works, but watching the amazing splitradix videos on Aux events, he has Auxes from Channel 7 redirecting to channel 3, and it works! Trying to replicate what he does, I cannot. I can only redirect from 3 to 7 but not the other way around.

Any ideas about what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!
Aleksey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Aleksey »

How far are they in the waiting list? I'm not on the cirklon forum and honestly wouldn't prefer making an account to find out. Just stumbled upon my waiting list email & it's 8/21. Would suck if it caught me unprepared.
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

Aleksey wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:24 pm How far are they in the waiting list? I'm not on the cirklon forum and honestly wouldn't prefer making an account to find out. Just stumbled upon my waiting list email & it's 8/21. Would suck if it caught me unprepared.
They are around early to mid 2018 and think they can get to late 2019 before the chip shortage hits hard. But if you want to be prepared join the Cirklon forum rather than expect others to do the research for you.
Aleksey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Aleksey »

dubonaire wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:42 pm
Aleksey wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:24 pm How far are they in the waiting list? I'm not on the cirklon forum and honestly wouldn't prefer making an account to find out. Just stumbled upon my waiting list email & it's 8/21. Would suck if it caught me unprepared.
They are around early to mid 2018 and think they can get to late 2019 before the chip shortage hits hard. But if you want to be prepared join the Cirklon forum rather than expect others to do the research for you.
slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack »

Ohh looks like mine has to go home for a surgery. It's stuck in a boot loop, I have to contact Colin.
slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack »

I'm glad an update did fix the issue. The battery has to be replaced, it lastet for eight years at least.
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

slumberjack wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:31 am I'm glad an update did fix the issue. The battery has to be replaced, it lastet for eight years at least.
:tu:
Angroc
Common Wiggler

Post by Angroc »

Woah I'm going on 9 years. Guess I'd have to soon too. Was it hard to replace?
slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack »

Sad thing is that I lost all my data due to not ever do a back-up (thank me later for the heads up). Well it's not that important since I used to overwrite stuff but the MIDI out config took a while to implement. Still have to execute the replacement task. I found a tutorial on it:

Last edited by slumberjack on Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Angroc
Common Wiggler

Post by Angroc »

slumberjack wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:09 am Sad thing is that I lost all my data due to not ever do a back-up (thank me later for the heads up). [...]
BRB, going to back up my data! Have like a bunch of active projects and a ton of instrument definitions. :zombie:

Thanks for the heads up!

Also, good to see the battery isn't soldered on.
skkatter
Veteran Wiggler

Post by skkatter »

neopl wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:57 pm but watching the amazing splitradix videos on Aux events, he has Auxes from Channel 7 redirecting to channel 3, and it works!
What's the timestamp of the video where I do this?

Return to “General Gear”