Is a better audio interface what I need?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

Jturbide
Veteran Wiggler

Is a better audio interface what I need?

Post by Jturbide »

I would like to be able to record multiple things (multiple eurorack voices, my nord lead 2x, maybe MPC and maybe more stuff down the line) on separate channels (simultaneously) to be able to add compression, reverb, eq etc individually in ableton.

Right now I use a little mackie mix8 and a roland duo capture interface. I run the everything in the mixer and then the stereo out of it to my interface. Thus, if I cannot isolate voices.

Is a bigger interface what I need?

I know it seems like a stupid question but this is my first and only setup, I never had anything else so before dropping alot of money on an interface I want to make sure it is what I need.

Any suggestions?
BlinkyLights
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Is a better audio interface what I need?

Post by BlinkyLights »

Sure. An interface with more I/Os will do that for you.

There are many acceptable choices from brands like:

MOTU, RME, Ferrofish, and a handful of others.

I don't have any specific suggestions for you.

Everyone will probably want to know your budget, and what OS you're on, and what the total number of I/Os you want is, as the range of options is large and prices go from ~$100 or so to thousands...
Jturbide
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Jturbide »

Thanks!

I'll do a bit of research but I am on windows 11, would need maybe... 8 inputs? (at least 2 for my modular, 4 for my nord lead and 2 more for my mpc or for more modular voices). Would that maks sense?

As for input I am not sure why would need them? From what I understand all the inputs are sent via usb to the laptop. To send to a mixer? I usually put the mixer before... But I guess I won't if I want to multitrack (my mixer only has a stereo out) :despair: :hmm:
BlinkyLights
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights »

USB Interfaces with 8x Line Level I/Os are aplenty, spanning the last decade or more.

Start there.
JRC
Common Wiggler

Post by JRC »

Check out the Tascam Model series mixers. I have the Model 12 and it's super versatile. It can act as a standalone digital 10 (12) track, it can be used as a 10 input interface, all tracks can be recorded simultaneously, can act as a mixer controller with most DAWs. You can save and export individual tracks via USB or SD card....I could go on and on.
texturerama
Veteran Wiggler

Post by texturerama »

I'm in a similar situation and am considering something along the lines of the Soundcraft MTK 12, Tascam Model 12, and the Zoom Live 8/12 as they seem to be the ideal candidates for multi-track recording at a decent price + flexibility for daw-less recording.

Not that my ears would be able to discern the difference but I am hoping to find an interface that can sample at 96kHz. Most of the ones I listed top out at 48kHz.

Eager to hear if anyone has any suggestions.
Jturbide
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Jturbide »

Ok thanks. I was thinking more about a "traditional" interface than a mixer/interface but will keep both options in mind. Another thing to consider seems to be usb vs thunderbolt. Now thunderbolt seems to be more expensive because of less latency but if I sell few things I might be able afford it.

Problem is I am not sure if my laptop has thunderbolt. It is a lenovo legion 5 (I7 core, RTX3070). There is 2 usb c "display port" that I use (one of them) to send to my monitor but there is a lightning bolt over it. When searching on internet I found yes and no answers so... Yeah figuring that out would clear if I need to look into both or just usb... I seem to have a thunderbolt control center app on my laptop too, altought it doesn't seem to want to open...

Oh and there is firewire...? Better then usb?

The focusrite scarlet and claret seems like a good range... :hmm:
Last edited by Jturbide on Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carl A
Common Wiggler

Post by Carl A »

Have a look at the focusrite units. Imo, best out there at their price point and given you are on windows, it's USB and the drivers are very stable.

If you want to spend more, have a look at RME or even consider one of theirs secondhand.

If your laptop supports USB3 you will be good to go, although 2 I'm sure will suit your needs fine unless you want to record at 192khz.
James_S
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by James_S »

RME Fireface 800 still well worth it if you don't wanna blow a massive load.
Jturbide
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Jturbide »

Ok so I'm pretty sure I have thunderbolt on my legion laptop. When I go back to my order and click on the product and then ports I see USB-C thunderbolt 4 and another USB-C thunderbolt.

So maybe Clarett would be a grear fit. Like a clarett 8pre? Or maybe a presonus quantum (like the 2626)?
texturerama
Veteran Wiggler

Post by texturerama »

I would pin my hopes to the long-term support of usb-c ports over other formats– but this is coming from a general media production perspective over hi-fi audio.
Carl A
Common Wiggler

Post by Carl A »

Clarrett would be better than a Quantum imo, better converters, better results. I've not used Presonus for a long time tho so other may want to chime in.

If you are spending that much and you are not fussed about a warranty, look at a used RME UFX.

Fantastic converters, very low latency, tons of routing options via RME software, USB Recording up to 192Khz (Standalone so no need to fire up your PC), rock solid and extremely low latency windows drivers. I've have mine for over 7 years and it has been faultless.
lukemodular
Common Wiggler

Post by lukemodular »

Got an older motu ultralight mk3 hybrid which works great
suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal »

Something to be clear about: Unless your mixer has individual channel outs, you'll use the interface as your mixer instead. You can always plug your outboard mixer's output into a pair of channels and treat that stereo pair as an "expander" of sorts for your interface. You might want a knobby midi interface to control your interface as a mixer.
Jturbide
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Jturbide »

Good point. I actually don't use my mixer much other then to adjust levels so an interface like the clarett or Quantum (which have level controls) should be good. I'd do the rest in ableton. I have pretty crappy monitors (actually might be more like bookshelf speakers than monitors (?), they are edifiers, cant remember model) so my mix8 might be useful only so I can hear the whole thing through them before I start adjusting eq and stuff with my headphones on. At least until I buy actual monitors.

Also looking at motu 828 (newer thunderbolt ones)...
Rme UFX looks great too but too expensive
stickman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by stickman »

TC Helicon Blender is a fine interface if you don't require balanced connections and mics, and costs peanuts. It costs roughly £100ish as I recall and takes 6x stereo line sources.

For stereo line sources it actually beats most of the more expensive options for convenience, working better with stereo, and for not compromising the signal with unnecessary preamps.

The software for it is sh1te but you can pretty much ignore it when using it as a class compliant interface.

If you need more than 6stereo or 12 fudged monos I would look for something with ADAT extensibility. The Quantum interfaces aren't badly priced if you have access to Thunderbolt 3, and really low latency.

I would save your money on the more expensive mid tier options, unless you have other considerations outside of synths / line sources at home (e.g. mics, live stability/flexibility, etc. etc.)

My 2c ofc.
Jturbide
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Jturbide »

Yeah I am really liking the price of the presonus quantum 2626. A used focusrite might do it too. My laptop seems to have thunderbolt 4 so I guess thunderbolt 3 would be fine as long as I get an adapter? There doesn't seem to be much thunderbolt 4 interfaces.
stickman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by stickman »

Jturbide wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:41 pm Yeah I am really liking the price of the presonus quantum 2626. A used focusrite might do it too. My laptop seems to have thunderbolt 4 so I guess thunderbolt 3 would be fine as long as I get an adapter? There doesn't seem to be much thunderbolt 4 interfaces.
Yep TB4 is backward compatible with TB3, you'll be good.
Pagoda-100
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Pagoda-100 »

I'll 2nd the RME idea might be worth looking at.
I tried one a year ago and got frustrated with Total Mix FX and sold it to get a mixer with an interface. Sold the mixer and just got a bigger RME. Learning how a basic mixer worked made me realize why I did not get on with Totalmix FX and now it is clear as day and crazy powerful. (not that I need or use this power) but it is on tap. I like that it is one piece of gear vs multiple boxes. You can run it without your computer turned on and even record direct without using the computer. Yes Totalmix FX does take some effort to learn but I feel like it was 100% worth it. They have tons of step by step videos that should make it a snap if you understand mixing. They also do a good bit of talking that USB is more than capable if you don't want to get one with TB. Def have a look at the videos and reviews.
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

Jturbide wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:41 pm Yeah I am really liking the price of the presonus quantum 2626. A used focusrite might do it too. My laptop seems to have thunderbolt 4 so I guess thunderbolt 3 would be fine as long as I get an adapter? There doesn't seem to be much thunderbolt 4 interfaces.
Presonus really improved their converters with the quantum range. I have a quantum 4848 and I’m really happy with it. It’s the most stable interface I’ve owned. I think they are excellent value and Presonus has great product support.

You shouldn’t need an adapter. Thunderbolt 4 is backwards compatible with Thunderbolt 3.
Jturbide
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Jturbide »

dubonaire wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:21 pm
Presonus really improved their converters with the quantum range. I have a quantum 4848 and I’m really happy with it. It’s the most stable interface I’ve owned. I think they are excellent value and Presonus has great product support.

You shouldn’t need an adapter. Thunderbolt 4 is backwards compatible with Thunderbolt 3.
Thanks! Will likely get one when I sell a thing or two :tu:
I meant a cable to convert (with type c and whatever port thunderbolt 3 is) but since I don't think they come with a cable at all I'll just get one that fits. My bad for the confusion
stickman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by stickman »

Jturbide wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:14 pm
dubonaire wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:21 pm

Thanks! Will likely get one when I sell a thing or two :tu:
I meant a cable to convert (with type c and whatever port thunderbolt 3 is) but since I don't think they come with a cable at all I'll just get one that fits. My bad for the confusion
You will need a specific thunderbolt 3/4 cable, typical usb-c data cables will not work for thunderbolt
Jturbide
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Jturbide »

Thanks for the headsup!
Jturbide
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Jturbide »

Just ordered a quantum 2626 :)
Thanks everyone, will likely report on it later

Btw do I need to get a cable + adapter or a T3 to T4 cable (I can't find one)? My PC is T4 and the Quantum is T3. Or do I simply need a T4 cable?
stickman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by stickman »

Jturbide wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:07 am Just ordered a quantum 2626 :)
Thanks everyone, will likely report on it later

Btw do I need to get a cable + adapter or a T3 to T4 cable (I can't find one)? My PC is T4 and the Quantum is T3. Or do I simply need a T4 cable?
TB4 or TB3 cable will be fine, both use usb-c sockets

All the best with the quantum!

Return to “General Gear”