Yamaha RM1x - anyone still using it?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

emperor bohe
Learning to Wiggle

Yamaha RM1x - anyone still using it?

Post by emperor bohe »

i bought one about a year ago, but tbh i had no inspiration to learn how to use it. finally decided to try it out yesterday, and it's pretty fun! i enjoy the sounds on it, it has decent sound editing capability and a great sequencer. i'm definitely gonna incorporate it into my main setup with my samplers.

anyone else still using the RM1x? any tips? please share your RM1x tunes too, i'd love to hear them

if u wanna hear my first ever jam with one:
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Yamaha RM1x - anyone still using it?

Post by dubonaire »

I used to use one a lot but don't use it now. Do you have the List Book? You can get it here: https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/manual ... ion&k=RM1X

Not sure if you are using Song Mode or Pattern Mode but Song Mode has some powerful features. Also the MIDI delay effect is very good.
JohnLRice
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by JohnLRice »

I've owned one for over 20 years but have used it very little, probably mainly because I've never taken the time to learn how to program it! :oops: But every time I think about selling it I give it a quick try first and just the demo programs are so inspiring to me that I decide to keep it! :lol: Here's an experiment with presets from last year when I decided to keep it, again!

And here's one I did 11 years ago that started out as just an experiment to try to sync the RM1X to my modular synth sequencer and it eventually turned into a little music video:
FS: (US) Moon, Radial, Bossviewtopic.php?t=259347
emperor bohe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by emperor bohe »

dubonaire wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:55 pm I used to use one a lot but don't use it now. Do you have the List Book? You can get it here: https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/manual ... ion&k=RM1X

Not sure if you are using Song Mode or Pattern Mode but Song Mode has some powerful features. Also the MIDI delay effect is very good.
thank you so much for the List Book! i was looking through the manual for a list when i was using it but couldn't find it, glad to see that it exists! :hail:

i have not used song mode yet on the RM1x, and not sure if i will? i'll try it out one time to see how i feel about it. i've also head a lot about the midi delay effect, i can't wait to experiment with that more.
JohnLRice wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:40 pm I've owned one for over 20 years but have used it very little, probably mainly because I've never taken the time to learn how to program it! :oops: But every time I think about selling it I give it a quick try first and just the demo programs are so inspiring to me that I decide to keep it! :lol: Here's an experiment with presets from last year when I decided to keep it, again!

And here's one I did 11 years ago that started out as just an experiment to try to sync the RM1X to my modular synth sequencer and it eventually turned into a little music video:
yeah, the demo programs were shockingly inspiring. when i first went through them it really convinced me that the the RM1x could sound great. i dig the videos too, especially "drive"!

what is the sound is that in the demo program in your ig post? the deep sounding pad/chord sounds great.
JohnLRice
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by JohnLRice »

emperor bohe wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:05 am what is the sound is that in the demo program in your ig post? the deep sounding pad/chord sounds great.
Thanks, that's the rack mount Mellotron playing a blend of tubular bells and boys choir though a wash of reverb.
emperor bohe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by emperor bohe »

JohnLRice wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:15 pm
emperor bohe wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:05 am what is the sound is that in the demo program in your ig post? the deep sounding pad/chord sounds great.
Thanks, that's the rack mount Mellotron playing a blend of tubular bells and boys choir though a wash of reverb.
gotcha! it sounds great.
ObsoleteModular
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ObsoleteModular »

It was really popular when it came out.

Mate of mine did loads of great stuff on an RM1X and an RS7000 including a whole live set.

Why haven't Yamaha revisited the groovebox? :despair:

They stuck a pattern sequencer in the Montage/MODX but it's half-arsed at best :confused:
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

emperor bohe wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:05 am
dubonaire wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:55 pm I used to use one a lot but don't use it now. Do you have the List Book? You can get it here: https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/manual ... ion&k=RM1X

thank you so much for the List Book! i was looking through the manual for a list when i was using it but couldn't find it, glad to see that it exists! :hail:

i have not used song mode yet on the RM1x, and not sure if i will? i'll try it out one time to see how i feel about it. i've also head a lot about the midi delay effect, i can't wait to experiment with that more.
You’re welcome. :tu:

Song mode allows setting odd time signatures and punch-in recording. Pattern mode doesn’t.
emperor bohe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by emperor bohe »

dubonaire wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:39 pm
emperor bohe wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:05 am

You’re welcome. :tu:

Song mode allows setting odd time signatures and punch-in recording. Pattern mode doesn’t.
oh damn, did not know that song mode was that powerful. i gotta read the manual this week before i try the unit again haha.
JankySwitch
Common Wiggler

Post by JankySwitch »

I enjoyed mine when I had it - replaced a digitakt with an RM1X and an Akai S5000. I still have the Akai, but sold the RM1X and bought a Squarp Pyramid. The only thing reason I sold the RM1X was having to stop playing before editing sequences. Other than that I really enjoyed it (although, I never used it''s internal sounds :shrug:)
ObsoleteModular
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ObsoleteModular »

JankySwitch wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:25 amI sold the RM1X was having to stop playing before editing sequences.
Often a limitation of sequencers of that vintage. Presumably the CPUs that were cost effective for such devices didn't have enough grunt.
emperor bohe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by emperor bohe »

ObsoleteModular wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:57 pm It was really popular when it came out.

Mate of mine did loads of great stuff on an RM1X and an RS7000 including a whole live set.

Why haven't Yamaha revisited the groovebox? :despair:

They stuck a pattern sequencer in the Montage/MODX but it's half-arsed at best :confused:
i gotta check out some RM1x live sets, i bet there are some on youtube. i feel like not being able to punch-in anything while the pattern is already playing would take out a lot of the fun, but i would love to be wrong.
soundinett
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundinett »

check out Isobutane's vids on Youtube.
he is the real RM1x guy.

soundinett
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundinett »

did this during lockdown with the RM1x

beautiful machine for melodic electro music
soundinett
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundinett »

same but different

chaocrator
Common Wiggler

Post by chaocrator »

not using mine anymore since i bought my 1st Command Station – but keeping it.
the quality of many synth sounds is rather meh by today's standards, but still totally ok for using as rhythm machine, so might unshelve it someday to pair with some external synth.
that UFO behind me is real
emperor bohe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by emperor bohe »

soundinett wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:37 am did this during lockdown with the RM1x

beautiful machine for melodic electro music

soundinett wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:49 am same but different

these are great, i'm really feeling them. i haven't heard anyone else use the RM1x like this before, so it's really cool to see how versatile the machine can be.
emperor bohe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by emperor bohe »

gave the RM1x a second go around yesterday, hope u all don't mind if i post the jam sesh here:

here are some of my takeaways:
- i read the manual before using it this time, cool to learn about more of the functions that are possible
- playing chords on those mushy ass keys is brutal, i may need to resolder my keys but I'm reluctant lol
- i found that kicks were missing that "unph" at times, but then i found out that there's a low end boost feature which is pretty cool
- next time I'm gonna mess with song mode to see how powerful it is, or maybe I'll try using the RM1x to sequence an external sampler
JohnLRice
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by JohnLRice »

emperor bohe wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:27 pm gave the RM1x a second go around yesterday, hope u all don't mind if i post the jam sesh here:

- i read the manual before using it this time, cool to learn about more of the functions that are possible
- playing chords on those mushy ass keys is brutal, i may need to resolder my keys but I'm reluctant lol
- i found that kicks were missing that "unph" at times, but then i found out that there's a low end boost feature which is pretty cool
- next time I'm gonna mess with song mode to see how powerful it is, or maybe I'll try using the RM1x to sequence an external sampler
Sounds good! :tu:
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

emperor bohe wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:27 pm gave the RM1x a second go around yesterday, hope u all don't mind if i post the jam sesh here:

Nice. The sounds in the RM1-X are well known not to be so great, so excellent work if you got some of these sounds out it
soundinett
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundinett »

I use a small Alesis Smashup compressor to push up the low end of the RM1x
emperor bohe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by emperor bohe »

JohnLRice wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:09 pm Sounds good! :tu:
thank u!
dubonaire wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:15 am

Nice. The sounds in the RM1-X are well known not to be so great, so excellent work if you got some of these sounds out it
yeah, those presets sound kinda wonky at first but they give you just enough to mold them into some decent sounds. kind of adds to the fun imo lol.
soundinett wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:01 am I use a small Alesis Smashup compressor to push up the low end of the RM1x
interesting, have not heard of that particular compressor. does it provide any flavour/special sauce or is it your usual sounding compressor?
soundinett
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundinett »

emperor bohe wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:42 am
soundinett wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:01 am I use a small Alesis Smashup compressor to push up the low end of the RM1x
interesting, have not heard of that particular compressor. does it provide any flavour/special sauce or is it your usual sounding compressor?

Smashup is a handy little helper that provides beef and adds dynamics to an output signal. I use it for the RM1x but sometimes for other gear also.
commoner
Common Wiggler

Post by commoner »

I owned one for a while when it came out. Again 11 years later. I guess that means it’s time to give it another go.
-the value of one's words can be measured by the count of their goos
-cynic is the word used by one who wishes to believe that a realist is wrong
Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes »

Really enjoying the random RM1x videos. I never did have one at the time, had an MC-505 (another period rompler!). I still have a weakness for grooveboxes though, a definite vice.

Here's the inevitable Bad Gear episiode, he loves himself a rompler too:

Return to “General Gear”