Elektron Syntakt

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

DOTSmusic
Common Wiggler

Re: Elektron Syntakt

Post by DOTSmusic »

dumbledog wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:14 pm With the DT and DN, you can jury-rig a song mode using a short midi cable plugged into the in and out, and setting the routing appropriately. You can then use a MIDI track to issue pattern changes. With planning you can in theory make some wild aleotoric compositions, a different one each time you hit play from pattern A01.

I assume the ST has the same functionality. There used to be a problem with MIDI loopback causing the machine to freeze but Elektron fixed that in a patch last year.
Syntakt is my very first Elektron machine, so I'm not familiar with all the work arounds and such. Thanks, I'll have to look into that.
Listen

Click on them lankz below!

SpotifyEargasmic RecordingsMy DJ Mixes pt. 1My DJ Mixes pt. 2Instagram
ModusOp
Oneiric Automatist

Post by ModusOp »

ModusOp wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 4:56 pm
DOTSmusic wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 3:46 pm Out of curiosity, is anyone using any kind of hardware for arrangements?
or is everyone arranging in a DAW?
Wondering if you could use something like the Blokas Midihub to transform Syntakt Midi track notes into program change messages, then send those back into the Syntakt. I feel like you’d be able to create an arrangement, but you couldn’t have a pattern repeat, or else you’d get stuck in a loop of sending the same note (program change) over and over? But combining this idea with Trig Conditions would be fun to come up with more spontaneous arrangements that aren’t the same every time. Think I’ll have to experiment with this!
So as stated above, it turns out you can just use a Midi loopback to create arrangements. Here’s a video…

So yeah... Song mode, pretty much, and you don’t even need the Midihub. Excited to try this out!
(=^・ω・^)y=|:::|
GUM
Common Wiggler

Post by GUM »

The Venn Diagram of "people making synth videos on YouTube/Instagram" and "music that I actually listen to" has very little overlap, imo.

Not that synth videos on YouTube don't serve a purpose, they definitely do! they are often invaluable windows into how folx get the most out of their gear, and their creators often provide very generous knowledge drops and clear breakdowns of how they do things, which can be helpful and inspiring. The folx who are out there creating absolute bangers are probably loathe to share how they do it (outside of maybe FACT's 'Against The Clock' series.)

I haven't touched a Syntakt yet, but most of the demo tracks on the Elektron page (and the Dataline EP, which he probably made in like, 4 days) sound pretty fucking good to me. I'll never listen to these tracks outside the context of 'here are some of the possibilities that this machine can provide,'' but for that purpose I think they sell the machine pretty well.
22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape »

DOTSmusic wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:55 pm
Nelson Baboon wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:09 pm damn. i'm going to sell all of my gear in the price range and above that doesn't have a song mode. Good bye violin. Good bye modular.
A violin is one thing, but if you don't haves song mode on your modular set up, well, that's yo own damn fault, as I'm pretty sure you can achieve that with an Eloquencer or something similar haha ;)
Indeed, plenty of Eurorack sequencers have song mode.
================
Lit Rag-- The SissyFuss
Label-- TheseKidsAreNice: 3am's Phantom Distinction Fallacy EP CD available now
================
Wubz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Wubz »

GUM wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:01 pm The Venn Diagram of "people making synth videos on YouTube/Instagram" and "music that I actually listen to" has very little overlap, imo.

Not that synth videos on YouTube don't serve a purpose, they definitely do! they are often invaluable windows into how folx get the most out of their gear, and their creators often provide very generous knowledge drops and clear breakdowns of how they do things, which can be helpful and inspiring. The folx who are out there creating absolute bangers are probably loathe to share how they do it (outside of maybe FACT's 'Against The Clock' series.)

I haven't touched a Syntakt yet, but most of the demo tracks on the Elektron page (and the Dataline EP, which he probably made in like, 4 days) sound pretty fucking good to me. I'll never listen to these tracks outside the context of 'here are some of the possibilities that this machine can provide,'' but for that purpose I think they sell the machine pretty well.
That's a really good point.
I wander how much of the electronic music I love to listen to day to day is made even partially on hardware, let alone one piece of hardware recorded in one take from a single L/R pair. Very little at all I'd say. That not to say those jams aren't good or aren't the seeds for something far more polished and refined.
Ivar Tryti does some pretty great things with Elektron boxes.
DOTSmusic
Common Wiggler

Post by DOTSmusic »

ModusOp wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:41 pm
..as stated above, it turns out you can just use a Midi loopback to create arrangements.
So yeah... Song mode, pretty much, and you don’t even need the Midihub. Excited to try this out!
Sweet! :drinking:
Listen

Click on them lankz below!

SpotifyEargasmic RecordingsMy DJ Mixes pt. 1My DJ Mixes pt. 2Instagram
commoner
Common Wiggler

Post by commoner »

Just gonna leave this here…

-the value of one's words can be measured by the count of their goos
-cynic is the word used by one who wishes to believe that a realist is wrong
Aleksey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Aleksey »

:doh: :yay:
pix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pix »

fartastic!! :hail:
albiedamned
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by albiedamned »

Better than any loopop video!
Stuff I did by myself: https://soundcloud.com/albiedamned21133
Stuff I did with my pretend band: https://soundcloud.com/borisandnatasha
Aleksey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Aleksey »

albiedamned wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:08 pm Better than any loopop video!
I’d say loopop is still a high bar among synthfluencers.
Back Down the Path
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Back Down the Path »

Other than Cat Yowling Synthesis (which remains out of reach with present black box technology), Fart Synthesis was the final frontier for Elektron. They have finally have the respect of the modular community. Kudos to them.
Loads of stuff for sale here (PA/US).
suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal »

Whew the negative energy that comes with Elektron releases is always hard to read through. Song mode folks need a support group or something after a decade+ of expecting Elektron to be a different company. On the one hand, I'm sympathetic to the desire for instruments to have it all, but after so many years of the same, the horse is long dead.

My original issue Machinedrum met a violent death recently (not sure it can be repaired) so I need a new drum machine to sit next to my modular. This device isn't a true MD replacement, but it's clearly in the same family and after listening to a few examples on YT the range of synthesis sounds better than the MD could deliver (wider range of envelope parameters, for example). (The YT music isn't particularly exciting, sure, but I'm listening with my imagination for what the instrument can do and what I hear I like.)

Sigh. I might need to buy another Elektron box. Will this one stay?
medium Rob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by medium Rob »

It would've been much cooler if they made the Syntakt orange, instead of black w/Christmas highlights. Or have orange instead of red Function button + labels. Orange or yellow. I suppose the red evokes heat, though. It must have been a riveting discussion, or deliberation, by the design team. "Let's use the same color scheme as the Octatrack rev2.5" ... "Sure, why not." ... They probably had Facetime party snoozers rigged up and on.

Edit, nevermind. Forgot that the digitakt is already mustard yellow
albiedamned
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by albiedamned »

medium Rob wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:09 pm It would've been much cooler if they made the Syntakt orange, instead of black w/Christmas highlights. Or have orange instead of red Function button + labels. Orange or yellow. I suppose the red evokes heat, though. It must have been a riveting discussion, or deliberation, by the design team. "Let's use the same color scheme as the Octatrack rev2.5" ... "Sure, why not." ... They probably had Facetime party snoozers rigged up and on.

Edit, nevermind. Forgot that the digitakt is already mustard yellow
So no song mode, not enough outputs, and poor color choice! Count me out.
Stuff I did by myself: https://soundcloud.com/albiedamned21133
Stuff I did with my pretend band: https://soundcloud.com/borisandnatasha
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

no song mode? fuck the universe.

I just put in my order. The universe has no song mode, nor do I. this looks like the best complement to my octatrack, which is starting to fill me with wonder, and a slight garlic aftertaste.

you know, these are my second choices over a machine that costs $50,000, is the size of a house, and does everything without require a manual.
22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape »

I'm not sure why people get all angsty about a feature request that is easy to implement and would grow the Elektron user-base. It's not like you have to use song mode. It's a weird thing to lobby against, imho. Even if some people would never use it, and even if it's never implemented, if more folks would acknowledge, at the very least, that song mode would be useful, then the other folks who'd like to see a song mode would mostly bow out of many of these discussions. But it's like a huge blindspot to not acknowledge how it could benefit a huge portion of potential users/buyers without much effort, so we have this same argument over and over.

To be fair, a few people have acknowledged this, but the prevailing sentiment seems to be ra ra ra fuck song mode. But I guess that's the internet, where things are supposed to sound absurd.
================
Lit Rag-- The SissyFuss
Label-- TheseKidsAreNice: 3am's Phantom Distinction Fallacy EP CD available now
================
stickman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by stickman »

Almost every synth I have isn't perfect and elektrons are certainly no exception.

For me it's a case of how much the issue is a pain vs how much do I love the synth.

For song mode you can work around it with a pen, paper and then enter pattern numbers in pattern chain mode. It's a practically free and low effort workaround.

For folks who won't buy a piece of music equipment on that basis it's hard not to have the judgement that they wil not get much out of it given the ease. Just my opinion.

I'm not debating whether or not Elektron should implement it, clearly it would be pretty easy but for whatever reason they haven't or won't.
suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal »

The song mode cynicism comes from the same issue being raised ad nauseum with every release. It's a long-dead horse that keeps getting rehashed with every new instrument. Instead of discussing the good side of the gear, we wade through pages and pages of complaints about song mode.

I agree that it should be in there, btw.
Wubz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Wubz »

suboptimal wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:56 pm The song mode cynicism comes from the same issue being raised ad nauseum with every release. It's a long-dead horse that keeps getting rehashed with every new instrument. Instead of discussing the good side of the gear, we wade through pages and pages of complaints about song mode.

I agree that it should be in there, btw.
100%
It’s a meme now.
commoner
Common Wiggler

Post by commoner »

Wubz wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:03 pm 100%
It’s a meme now.
Or maybe just that same ol' song.
commoner
Common Wiggler

Post by commoner »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:33 pm i'm curious. how do people know that it would be easy to implement?
The synth community is comprised of mostly embedded-software engineers.
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

but can knowing software on one context allow you to answer reliably that in another, programming a certain feature doesn't have complications?

Return to “General Gear”