Elektron Syntakt

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

slicetwo
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Elektron Syntakt

Post by slicetwo »

h4ndcrafted wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:42 am Nice little jam that , Rez on that bass sound sounds nice.
Thanks! I gotta say, for what it is, the ST is a great little groove box. I hope it gets some awesome updates down the road, but I'd be ok with it for what it is if it stays that way.
dahliafae
Common Wiggler

Post by dahliafae »

ModusOp wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:41 am
dahliafae wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:57 am Syntakt has gotten a lot more usage than my machinedrum tbh, it sounds absolutely gorgeousss. Starting to wonder if I can pair it with a sampler for more glitchy sampling abilities to replace the MD. Does anyone know if Digitakt or Octatrack is good for 'glitch' style and effects? Haven't used either of these and had trouble searching for the right videos. I'm a bit newer to Elektron
I know for sure that the Octatrack would work, but might be overkill. A less expensive option that may sound equally as cool (as far glitchy sounds) would be pairing it with something like the Hologram Microcosm. You could sacrifice a track or two on the Syntakt to control its parameters with Midi.
Oh that's a great idea! Thank you! Definitely considering it now
a/v performance artist
https://linktr.ee/dahliafae
dahliafae
Common Wiggler

Post by dahliafae »

Back Down the Path wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:28 am
dahliafae wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:57 am Syntakt has gotten a lot more usage than my machinedrum tbh, it sounds absolutely gorgeousss. Starting to wonder if I can pair it with a sampler for more glitchy sampling abilities to replace the MD. Does anyone know if Digitakt or Octatrack is good for 'glitch' style and effects? Haven't used either of these and had trouble searching for the right videos. I'm a bit newer to Elektron
I know for sure that the Octatrack would work, but might be overkill. A less expensive option that may sound equally as cool (as far glitchy sounds) would be pairing it with something like the Hologram Microcosm. You could sacrifice a track or two on the Syntakt to control its parameters with Midi.
I have this pair going and I can confirm it is great!
Awesome! Thanks for confirming haha. I definitely need to try this pair out
a/v performance artist
Wubz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Wubz »

slicetwo wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:45 am
h4ndcrafted wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:42 am Nice little jam that , Rez on that bass sound sounds nice.
Thanks! I gotta say, for what it is, the ST is a great little groove box. I hope it gets some awesome updates down the road, but I'd be ok with it for what it is if it stays that way.
It'll def get updates. Keep people buying it as the years tick by. The Digitakt is WAY more now than it was when released.
Hopefully more machines (probably only digital) a compressor, maybe an arp. Maybe Song Mode ( :omg: ) Who knows?
I'm really enjoying mine. Using it mostly for drums so the added synthy bits are just bonus.
dahliafae
Common Wiggler

Post by dahliafae »

slicetwo wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:13 am Finally got mine yesterday and I already love it. I wish it had a few more digital kick modes, but I need to explore the analog side more. The sound design is a bit limited per machine, but with so many machines I've found that it's not a huge issue. Overall, it fits perfectly in my setup. Can't wait to integrate it into my full rig and let them all talk to each other!

Here's my first little go-around with it. All the sounds are made from scratch.

Awesome sounds! I felt similarly to you at first - was disappointed with the digital kicks. Hopefully they're able to add more in a future update (is that possible?). The analog machines do not disappoint though! LOTS of possibilities with the analog kicks 💯
a/v performance artist
ModusOp
Oneiric Automatist

Post by ModusOp »

dahliafae wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:12 am
Oh that's a great idea! Thank you! Definitely considering it now
Thank you! My pleasure! It’s what I plan on doing actually. Can’t wait to receive mine soon! :party:
(=^・ω・^)y=|:::|
ModusOp
Oneiric Automatist

Post by ModusOp »

Back Down the Path wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:28 am
I have this pair going and I can confirm it is great!
Noice! Can’t wait to try this combo!
ModusOp
Oneiric Automatist

Post by ModusOp »

A bit 4 on the floor for my taste, but here’s ol’ Elektron-Box-Master Cenk putting it through its paces…
drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by drowld »

Does anyone else feels the syntakt sound really dull from the demos ? I'm not sure why but i'm not impressed at all and i know one or two other ppl who arent either.

The dataline video sounds liveless to me even tho it's somewhat nice
fewture
Common Wiggler

Post by fewture »

Yes my friend and I feel the same, something slightly boring or generic about the sound.
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

I’ve mentioned this before with my experience with the Digitone. These boxes have bad sound.
h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted »

drowld wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 5:26 am Does anyone else feels the syntakt sound really dull from the demos ? I'm not sure why but i'm not impressed at all and i know one or two other ppl who arent either.

That’s Elektron sound if you ask me , you either love it or hate it. I’ve only liked the MD and that wasn’t for main sounds but the weird percussion and incidentals it makes.
I’ve always found it dark and a bit lifeless personally, wasn’t a huge fan of the RYTM I had, Digitone was meh , but others love it , I think we can all agree how excellent their sequencers are though.

I was considering it as I love a groovebox , but yes the more I hear it , the more it has that Elektron signature, I do as a rule like the FM , maybe that’s more forgiving. Maybe if it had separate outs you’d get more mileage , or running it with the multi soundcard it has.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.
phasebash
Ultra Wiggler

Post by phasebash »

This is my impression maybe an hour in.

On the Analog Rytm mkii, I felt like the envelopes were never snappy enough, hard to dial in the right impulse and decay using the envelopes. The overdrive was too overboard. Also had to rely on the overdrive for body, and even when turned off the kicks had harmonics you couldn’t get rid of.

There is only one digital kick machine, but it seems to fill a gap nicely between all the really good analog kick machines, easier to dial in strong 808 clicky kicks, or other strong more pure sounds. Overdrive has a much more useful range. The limited envelope controls cover a TON of ground. Of course, all the other machines can produce some kind of kick as well.

With those digital machines, they seem to cover so much ground, I had one playing bass duties, but with a flick of two knobs it was an amazing hat! Wild.

As Eno said, fewer controls which lead to better sounds.
stickman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by stickman »

deleted
enno
Wiggling with Experience

Post by enno »

phasebash wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:29 am This is my impression maybe an hour in.

On the Analog Rytm mkii, I felt like the envelopes were never snappy enough, hard to dial in the right impulse and decay using the envelopes. The overdrive was too overboard. Also had to rely on the overdrive for body, and even when turned off the kicks had harmonics you couldn’t get rid of.

There is only one digital kick machine, but it seems to fill a gap nicely between all the really good analog kick machines, easier to dial in strong 808 clicky kicks, or other strong more pure sounds. Overdrive has a much more useful range. The limited envelope controls cover a TON of ground. Of course, all the other machines can produce some kind of kick as well.

With those digital machines, they seem to cover so much ground, I had one playing bass duties, but with a flick of two knobs it was an amazing hat! Wild.

As Eno said, fewer controls which lead to better sounds.
Kinda agree but it would be nice if the digital kick had an attack / click part no?
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi »

h4ndcrafted wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 5:56 am
drowld wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 5:26 am Does anyone else feels the syntakt sound really dull from the demos ? I'm not sure why but i'm not impressed at all and i know one or two other ppl who arent either.

That’s Elektron sound if you ask me , you either love it or hate it. I’ve only liked the MD and that wasn’t for main sounds but the weird percussion and incidentals it makes.
I’ve always found it dark and a bit lifeless personally, wasn’t a huge fan of the RYTM I had, Digitone was meh , but others love it , I think we can all agree how excellent their sequencers are though.

I was considering it as I love a groovebox , but yes the more I hear it , the more it has that Elektron signature, I do as a rule like the FM , maybe that’s more forgiving. Maybe if it had separate outs you’d get more mileage , or running it with the multi soundcard it has.
Rytm have this dull sound indeed. I don´t like, so sold it.

Octatrack have a clinical and lifeless sound when you play individual samples, but the mix is muddy, sold after years of frustration because of this and the operative nightmare.

Machinedrum is clean and crispy lo-fi digital. Doesn´t have a lot of body and honestly most "machines" on it are useless. Anyway I like some of them. My last gig with it was using 90% samples. Had it like 10 years, sold.

Monomachine is also clean, harsh, 2000s digital IDM-ish sound all over the place. With some work you can make it sound nicer. Check Nicolas Lem´s videos and Soundcloud.

Analog 4/Keys sounds like no other analog, and not in a good way (for me at least). Packs a lot of features into a single unit and the FX helps a lot to make it sound better. As with the Monomachine you can do some tricks to makes it sound nicer. Whole compositions on it sounds way better than individual sounds. Check my Soundcloud. Anyway, I sold it.

Digitone... meh... sold.

Digitakt sounds amazing. Raw, kick-ass power. In your face sounds that stands in a big system. The best sounding machine Elektron made.

Sequencer: I can´t live without it. Perfect balance between features and operation. Anyway I think the key is the integration of the sequencer with the sound engine of each Elektron machine, so I can´t imagine a standalone just-sequencer Elektron box
h1t3k
Common Wiggler

Post by h1t3k »

I've had most of the elektron machines and agree they just sound flat and dull. The Rytm being the worst, couldn't get a single sound I liked out of it. I do think these machines are made for live performers though, they fit and mix well with themselves without having to put in a bunch of extra work carving out space for things. I'm also getting to the point where they are just too dense function wise with too many pages and menus for me. I would get the hang of one machine, and then I'd forget it all after using something else for a bit and have to re-learn it again.
Dragonaut
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut »

I’ve never been a fan of the sound of Elektron’s machines but honestly I see a lot of people running them fairly dry and very few brands sound good dry to my ears. I have to process almost everything I own a fair amount to get a modern professional sound. That said, a few of the demos I’ve heard have sounded pretty darn good although they are in the minority. Andrew Huang’s demo shines some light on this when he shows the same track polished up a bit ITB through Overbridge.
Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 »

the thing with the "elektron Sound" IS that you p-lock the hell out of it, (yes, we absolutely also talk "subtleties" ;) )
and make things come to live this way. Thats the whole point in my opinion.

From there: live with the sound these different boxes give,...or let them go. Or just never bother to buy any.

personally, i think poeple who think Elektron boxes do not sound good, must have *very specific* ideas in mind how something HAS to sound.
Personally, -speaking in general -,i don´t find sounds to be good or not. Thats a worn out myth, imho.
Sounds DO fit a specific context, or do NOT.....take or leave.
Thin sounds deliver the fundament for those sounds who should stand out.
My personal take on "good sounds" is: "the versatility" of a sound. ( i don´t care for "hard hiting" techno)
Here we can turn back to the aspect of p-locking parameters when it is about elektron and "its sound".

To make sounds fit into mixes, we´d want to see good EQing options (-on board-).....rather than boxes "just" filled with "good sounds". (IMHO)
Now, which of all these "boxes" ( from any manufacturer) can deliver on this ?
For sale:
DOTSmusic
Common Wiggler

Post by DOTSmusic »

Here's my take.

This is my very first Elektron device, and I can say after a couple hours of messing around with it, I'm definitely digging it. As a long time Propellerheads Reason user, I can honestly say this is the very first piece of "hardware" that I have mesed around with which I have taken a liking to immediately. How long that will last? Only time will tell.

I hear the term DAW in a box thrown around to describe devices such as the new Akai MPC's, Maschine Plus etc.. I have owned Ableton with Push 2 and Logic, and I've messed around with Cubase and a few of the other popular DAW's out there. Reason Studio is the only one that I have ever liked. It's a very unpopular opinion, I know, but I just have never gelled with any of the others. So, having said that, Syntakt is my DAW in a box, in it's own unique way.

I'm not a trained musician at all, I guess I've always been more about experimentation and sound sculpting, and turning those things into actual songs. I know zero music theory and I couldn't even tell you what key I was playing in without looking it up. Syntakt actually reminds me of the way that I use Reason, more so than any other piece of hardware I have ever messed with. I'm very particualar about all my sounds. I've never been one to use a preset sound as is. I always create my own sounds or tweak the shit out of a pre-set to make it my own. That's something I'm really digging about this machine. Syntakt makes it fairly simple to shape every sound to my liking.

I'm just getting started with this Syntakt, but so far I'm having fun with it. My only complaints are..

#1. I wish it had a song mode feature, so I wouldn't be forced to use a DAW to do proper arrangements. I don't work in a improvisational/ jam type manner, so song mode is important to me. Maybe I'll graduate up to a proper live jam at some point, who knows.

#2. The price.. Yes I do think $1000 is a bit steep for any machine lacking a proper song mode. Even some of the cheapest drum machines out there have song mode.

#3. Polyphony

#4. I would love to be able to load my own sounds too, expecially drums. I guess for now I'll just have to continue tweaking the shit out the factory sounds.

Cheers!
Listen

Click on them lankz below!

SpotifyEargasmic RecordingsMy DJ Mixes pt. 1My DJ Mixes pt. 2Instagram
blech
Learning to Wiggle

Post by blech »

I have a gang of Elektrons and I agree to some extent about the sound, but isn't it OK that we still have to mix things to get them how we want?

If you don't like that the sounds are "flat" or "cold" or "thin", all apt descriptions for some of what Elektron machines emit, enhance them with the countless thousands of hardware and software effects and mixing options available to us. Acoustic instruments recorded through a bad mic or preamp don't sound as good as something that had the benefit of a better recording chain and good mix decisions. Want your monosynth to have stereo reverb? Gotta use an additional effect.

The effects in Elektron boxes are useful and nice to have as a compositional tool when used with parameter locks, but they are hardly things to be relied on to add much by themselves. If you put time into creating layered modulated sounds and record them as multi-tracks, you can do a lot with them as you mix without much pain.

If the expectation is that these little boxes, packed with all this functionality, ALSO need to spit out pristine two-track audio, that ain't going to happen. You don't need a bunch of high-end outboard or the priciest plug-ins, just get a few effect pedals and add more crunch / weight / width / whatever and surgically EQ that shit.

The main attractions for me are ease of use and sheer speed at the writing stage and a fun and compact means of performing.

I don't have a Syntakt, but from what I've heard and considering the "greatest Elektron synth hits" sound architecture, sonically, this may be their most flexible instrument apart from the samplers. Still, gotta have some kind of plan for recording and mixing.
SingIt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SingIt »

dubonaire wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 5:51 am I’ve mentioned this before with my experience with the Digitone. These boxes have bad sound.
Yeah I could never get into the Digitones sound myself. I tried.

But I do love the sound of the analog 4. It doesn't really sound like an Elekton machine to me.
Eurocat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Eurocat »

dubonaire wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 5:51 am I’ve mentioned this before with my experience with the Digitone. These boxes have bad sound.
You’re nuts. The Digitone sounds amazing. I’ll admit Syntakt doesn’t sound great but if you don’t think Digitone doesn’t sound great I think it’s more of a personal issue.
Eurocat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Eurocat »

Eurocat wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:28 pm
For Ambient stuff I feel like it’s a dream!
DOTSmusic
Common Wiggler

Post by DOTSmusic »

Out of curiosity, is anyone using any kind of hardware for arrangements?
or is everyone arranging in a DAW?
Listen

Click on them lankz below!

SpotifyEargasmic RecordingsMy DJ Mixes pt. 1My DJ Mixes pt. 2Instagram

Return to “General Gear”