Elektron Syntakt

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Kennymester
Common Wiggler

Elektron Syntakt

Post by Kennymester »

Couldn't find a thread about this device which seems to be launching tomorrow (4/21). Really hoping it matches the features in the "leaked" photos. A smaller RYTM/Machindrum would be a cool device to have.

https://www.synthanatomy.com/2022/04/el ... vebox.html
Elektron-Syntakt-Leak.001-678x381[1].jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stickman
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Elektron Syntakt

Post by stickman »

:hyper:
The name needs another syllable though
exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper »

If it is indeed that, I'm on it. Especially if it gains some MD models.

But I suspect from some comments of people that supposedly had access that it has more to do with Monomachine's lineage. Which, of course, you could still do drums with (I love making drums with my Digitone) but I'd prefer a Machinedrum replacement.

I guess we'll see tomorrow.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

FT/S US only: Palette 62, Traktor S2, FT Only: DIGITONE
exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper »

People love screwing around with Photoshop though, so who knows what to believe until we see Elektron's reveal.

This was also posted but has completely different text:
278523106_5085982884774089_5419753417203742521_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

FT/S US only: Palette 62, Traktor S2, FT Only: DIGITONE
Aleksey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Aleksey »

Crumbfort
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Crumbfort »

I'm getting caught up in the GAS driven excitement and I don't even have any Elektron boxes! (Ok I may grab a Digitakt shortly :hihi: )
cliffemu
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cliffemu »

I'm expecting this box to be instant venetian snares + autechre combined; just press randomize
folpon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by folpon »

Can't deny I'm on the hype train for this one, too. I love their workflow and it's been a while since I've had one of their little boxes around to play with.
Los Angeles Public Libra
@folpon
fastlanestranger
Wiggling with Experience

Post by fastlanestranger »

cliffemu wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:32 pm I'm expecting this box to be instant venetian snares + autechre combined; just press randomize
FINALLY a device that will allow me to realize MY vision of music.
mor4sso
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mor4sso »

day one buy
hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz »

I had a Rytm and loved the sequencing but not the sounds available. Some things are great but not enough to justify the cost. There needs to be more machines and with less targeted outcomes. I don’t need a x0x set of instruments.
THUMPR BC SC
Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk »

A next gen Monomachine, you say? Goddamn, count me in!
Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes »

mor4sso wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:31 pmday one buy
Maybe if by day one, we know if it has a fucking song mode, anyway. So close, Digitakt, but no slicing over a chromatic series and no song mode. For some reason.

I'm in the market for a fun and capable groovebox (and presumably this is going to be Overbridge-capable for multichannel recording), so I'm watching the skies. However, no song mode will be a dealbreaker.
hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz »

This ‘song mode’ complaint seems to be common but often confuses me as I don’t get it.

What would that be in this context?
THUMPR BC SC
folpon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by folpon »

song mode for me is when I record it in Ableton and make a song I guess :despair:
Los Angeles Public Libra
@folpon
stickman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by stickman »

Yeah I don't get the fuss about song mode.. these are performance instruments and it's always easy to pattern chain
safexkeeping
Learning to Wiggle

Post by safexkeeping »

The frustration is that some people want that extra composition tool of song mode, which, we're really talking about seriously basic arrangement capabilities. Especially in a box that is advertised as a groovebox that you can create an entire track on, and it would seemingly be so easy to just add it, but manufacturers seemingly withhold this because they want you to buy other additional products that have it (Octatrack). Don't want to "cannibalize" their product their line once they begin focusing on diversifying the line. It has been described as imposing artificial limitations.

They want you to buy Digitakt and/or M:Samples, and Digitone and/or M:Cycles, and Syntakt, and hopefully whet your whistle for an Octatrack. So much more profitable that way rather than releasing one thing as powerful as the Machinedrum again. All this means there is a very good chance we'll never get a true successor to Machinedrum from Elektron or similar companies, which is sad. It is also why I will support smaller companies that don't engage in imposing strategic limitations, and in fact are trying to make a next flagship product that is full of features and friendly to the user rather than hostile.
My illustrated blank panels: https://www.etsy.com/shop/safexkeeping
mome rath
a dubious cube of margarine

Post by mome rath »

I am annoyed by the 8x2 sequencer arrangement on all the new ones. Since I'm in eggplant IQ territory I really need my 16x1 line to keep my workflow on these elektron fellers

but i'll probably buy this immediately

......Fizmo, Virus TI, and Waldorf XT for sale :hihi:
Aleyas
Common Wiggler

Post by Aleyas »

Just wish they’d begin releasing boxes with more than a stereo out again. Can’t use any of my fx with modern Elektron.
MagusInstrumentalis
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MagusInstrumentalis »

^you can, it just requires looping stuff out from overbridge.
Aleyas
Common Wiggler

Post by Aleyas »

Not a solution for dawless hardware rigs. The latency alone is enough to disqualify it. A computer + third party interface shouldn’t be a factor in $700+ devices to support multi timbral output.

Overbridge is great in the DAW, but nigh useless for hardware rigs.
hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz »

Still not clear on what ‘song mode’ is vs pattern chaining.

Did anyone listen to the playlist? There’s some great songs and sounds and some really basic mediocrity as well. There’s some glitchy sounds going and makes me wonder if using the word ‘slice’ is foreshadowing.
THUMPR BC SC
LongLostDonut
Common Wiggler

Post by LongLostDonut »

hawkfuzz wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:38 pm Still not clear on what ‘song mode’ is vs pattern chaining.
Pattern chaining is essentially designed to create longer loops. If you want to perform a song (something with predetermined structure, intro, verse, chorus, middle eight and all that) then having to change from one eight pattern chain to another eight pattern chain is not really feasible. Also, in the Elektron way of doing it, you can't easily repeat the same pattern at the start of a chain, which is a bummer.

Traditional drum machines (I grew up with a DR-550) had a song mode, because they were ultimately there to replace a drummer (except you only had to punch the information in once, sorry couldn't resist) and so it was 100% part of the paradigm to be able to create 'traditional' song structures and have them play back as you'd expect a band member to do so.

I love the Digitakt and would kill for a song mode (and a proper distortion effect) but I am ok with it's particular paradigm of sequencers that facilitate jamming rather than structured song creation. I still use mine to make songs for my electronic-based music using the scaling feature and conditional p-locks (very rarely pattern chaining) but I would also lovvvvve to be able to create proper songs on it using my DR-550 samples and re-create my teenage Godflesh-worship band with it.
Wavtekt
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Wavtekt »

I have listened to the demo and I think likely a disappointment.

https://www.dublab.com/archive/elektron ... e-04-19-22

My guess is, it can do plenty of things like analog + FM + Sample (and probably physical modeling), but none of it is deep and have a lot of new features.

Will see ...
Last edited by Wavtekt on Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wavtekt
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Wavtekt »

hawkfuzz wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:38 pm Still not clear on what ‘song mode’ is vs pattern chaining.

Did anyone listen to the playlist? There’s some great songs and sounds and some really basic mediocrity as well. There’s some glitchy sounds going and makes me wonder if using the word ‘slice’ is foreshadowing.
Yeah, Baseck one sounds like there is a lot of FM / physical modeling sound going on with per step modulation and some ratcheting, but nowhere close to granular / sample mangling territory.

Kinda hit or a miss ... I am more curious about Korg Drumlogue ... will see

Return to “General Gear”