"Remix/ReMangle" Contest now open!

Prizes generously donated by:
ADDAC System (Eurorack 3U)
Endorphin.es (Eurorack 3U)
Fred's Lab (DIY Paraphonic Synth)
Northern Light Modular (Buchla-format h-series)
Rattly and Raw (Wiggler Approved Kontakt Instrument)
Studio.h (Buchla-format 4U)

Show us what "remix" means to you! Create, share, vote, win modules & more! Free gifts too!
Join in here!

old handpan, hangdrum, tongue drum thread?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

strettara
which way is up?

Re: old handpan, hangdrum, tongue drum thread?

Post by strettara » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:27 am

Some might laugh and say, silly me. Others take umbrage and beat their tiny fists. So it is and so it shall ever be.
"Three generations of imbeciles is enough." - Oliver Wendell Holmes.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:59 am

strettara wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:27 am
Some might laugh and say, silly me. Others take umbrage and beat their tiny fists. So it is and so it shall ever be.
does anyone know where i can get larger fists?

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:11 pm

elmerfudd wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:09 am
Couple of random thoughts. For hang pickups the Marvin triple magnetic set is the best I’ve used and gives great response without the hot spots of other contact mics I tried. Wood tongue drums, a guy named Michael Thiele made the best voiced (tune/tone) boxes I’ve played, and they are beautiful too.
C-ducer tape mic in the bottom with an xlr on the drum side gives a even mellow tone without too much mallet attack.
Just my experience.
Oh, and Oval made a cool app for iPad that had tons of tunings to try different pan layouts, had some cool patches also, nice atmospheric stuff.
wooden tongue drums: yes - Michael Thiele is the owner of hardwood music. I was debating them vs woodpack, but after much mental torment decided that for my first one to choose woodpack. I didn't see any threads anywhere that compared the 2, and for the most part thought that the videos that I found for woodpack were more to my liking. However, the hardwood music ones look great also, and they have some higher end models (the concert series) that i have my eyes on for down the road. (or if more of my stuff sells, especially the syntrx)

if you're talking about the bottom of the wooden tongue drums above, my woodpack will already have a pickup built in....

As far as Oval - don't they have a rather horrible reputation because of their failed hardware midi tongue drum? At least i think i uncovered this online. An app might be worth trying, but i have never enjoyed using an ipad for music. That is my problem, I guess.

i'll look at the marvin pickups. I hadn't encountered them, but then my research of these pickups was far from exhaustive.

strettara
which way is up?

Post by strettara » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:27 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:59 am
strettara wrote:
:hail: :hail: :hail:
"Three generations of imbeciles is enough." - Oliver Wendell Holmes.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:31 pm

strettara wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:27 pm
Nelson Baboon wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:59 am
strettara wrote:
:hail: :hail: :hail:
you might get better sound with mallets.

elmerfudd
Wiggling with Experience

Post by elmerfudd » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:21 pm

Here is a link to an awesome performance highlighting the Marvin pickups.

The set was about $200US plus shipping if memory serves.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:45 pm

ah - thanks. they have a few models for handpans - looks like the 1hsm, 2hsm, 3hsm. I would imagine that the 3 allows you to place pickups in 3 locations and might yield the most accuracy? Or is the '1' sufficient?

yeah - this is great. I searched for marvin pickups and nothing came up until i had this link.

elmerfudd
Wiggling with Experience

Post by elmerfudd » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:07 pm

I like the 3 contact. I have a big Bal and it gives nice even dynamic coverage. This is important if you are doing envelope following or pitch tracking, but it sounds good too.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:12 pm

elmerfudd wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:07 pm
I like the 3 contact. I have a big Bal and it gives nice even dynamic coverage. This is important if you are doing envelope following or pitch tracking, but it sounds good too.
are these easy to remove and put on another drum, and does it work well for all 3 basic types: tongue pans, tongue pans, handpans?

elmerfudd
Wiggling with Experience

Post by elmerfudd » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:31 pm

They are magnetic, so couldn't be easier to move around to different drums. I also cut some thin steel shims and stuck them (with double stick tape) to an old harp. The pickups now stick to it also.

mmp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mmp » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:52 pm

I guess I missed a lot…been busy with turkey and pie. I was just thinking that a pan tuned that way, with minimal beating on the intervals would be very pure and beautiful sounding. This is something I might pursue.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:01 pm

interesting .... do you think that something with longer sustain might benefit more? or less?

I think that some of the tongue pans have longer sustain..for instance my quint art has a very long sustain - certainly longer than my 1 handpan.

i'd be curious if one of tongue pan makers (who seem to mostly have pretty good tuning capabilities - sites where you can devise your own scale, etc) might do this, though it'd be custom for anyone, i'd imagine

Pugilistas
Common Wiggler

Post by Pugilistas » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:04 pm

Yeah, the Oval guys had a cool idea, but didn't deliver. Think it was maybe 2/3rds of the backers got the hardware. And even then the manufacture was unreliable. They ran afoul of supply chain issues years before everyone else. Glad I didn't have the money or trust to jump in then. I'm fairly judicious on Kickstarters where the folks involved haven't actually put out a product before.

The software app on ios I liked. You couldn't do much other than just play what they had produced, but I thought they did a nice job with that. Unfortunately, I think it has been dropped from the App Store now. I have it on an older ipad or two.

Liked the quint art examples. Sounds and looks killer!

Oh, you should look around as there are a couple of folks who have worked on various sliding or magnet tuned tongued instruments. Think I saw a metal one, but I know there's this swedish manufacturer for a wood tuned tongue drum:
https://www.valterpercussion.com/products/sundrum/

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:54 pm

lol - i had a valter unit, and i couldn't deal with the magnets at all. fell inside the machine and were impossible to get out, got stuck to metal surfaces, etc. seemed way more of a pain then i wanted to deal with.

mmp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mmp » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:59 am

I think long sustain would be a quality I would like in a drum tuned this way.
Nelson Baboon wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:01 pm
interesting .... do you think that something with longer sustain might benefit more? or less?

I think that some of the tongue pans have longer sustain..for instance my quint art has a very long sustain - certainly longer than my 1 handpan.

i'd be curious if one of tongue pan makers (who seem to mostly have pretty good tuning capabilities - sites where you can devise your own scale, etc) might do this, though it'd be custom for anyone, i'd imagine

Pugilistas
Common Wiggler

Post by Pugilistas » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:10 am

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:54 pm
lol - i had a valter unit, and i couldn't deal with the magnets at all. fell inside the machine and were impossible to get out, got stuck to metal surfaces, etc. seemed way more of a pain then i wanted to deal with.
Oh, interesting. Good to know. Guess there may be an issue to check out there on all moving parts versions. One of those, 'if it was easy, everybody'd be doing it' thaings.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:59 pm

Well, i guess that technically this question doesn't belong in this thread, but i like this discussion and the people in it, and i ran into this instrument when surfing for interesting tongue drum (metal and wood) videos. Luckily the water wasn't too cold....

in any case - in my reset/rethink of my music and my playing, I came across an instrument called the 'cajonico' which looks like it would fit in very well. It seems (from the pics) like it has a pickup installed, though i am just starting to research it.

Anyone familiar with these?

Return to “General Gear”