APB-Dynasonics ProRack House H1020 mixer

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

metamorphmuses
Veteran Wiggler

APB-Dynasonics ProRack House H1020 mixer

Post by metamorphmuses » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:07 pm

I'm starting a new thread because the thread where this discussion started is supposed to be about the Cadac Live1 mixer.

The quick backstory is below.
► Show Spoiler
I found one repair shop in San Mateo (about an hour away from me), and they requested the service schematics, which I got from APB-Dynasonics. Because of my schedule, it took two months for me to even find a window of time to drive there.

Finally, three weeks ago, I took my ProRack House H1020 mixer to the repair shop, thinking the device could finally get some professional work done on it. A week later, the repair shop contacted me, however, informing me that they had elected not to attempt a repair of the mixer. The service technicians, the eldest of whom has been in the business for over forty years, decided it was too far over their heads, too long since they'd seen a mixer like it, and declined to even open up the chassis.

I have been in touch with APB-Dynasonics, and it turns out that the only repair shop they can endorse (at least so far) in all of California is Advanced Musical Electronics in West Los Angeles. Since that is about a seven-hour drive away, it's not feasible for me to drop the mixer off in person. I would have to ship it, and risk subjecting the mixer to the kind of mistreatment that the mixer received on its way to me.

It seems to me that buying a mixer in the prosumer or lower end of the high end range entails a risk: you had better make sure before you buy it that if when you need to have the mixer serviced, you have access to dependable service network (unless you can do it yourself). It's not so much that "they don't make them like they used to" but rather that the industry has largely lost its secondary economy of service and repair professionals.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: APB-Dynasonics ProRack House H1020 mixer

Post by slumberjack » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:13 pm

I'd get me a 19" rack suitcase for stage gear then pack that again in foam and another cardboard box and ship it. Or ask APB for an OG empty cardboard box. It might be still possible that your seller is a fraud. The video could have been made before the mixer was damaged or showing another item - an then he question should be asked on how good the mixer was wrapped for shipping. I mean how many 19" mixers get shipped troughout the year to clients and how often do we hear about a damaged piece? See. I hope you payed with PayPal and are going to file a claim
I'm sorry for your experience!

metamorphmuses
Veteran Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:29 pm

slumberjack wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:13 pm
I'd get me a 19" rack suitcase for stage gear then pack that again in foam and another cardboard box and ship it. Or ask APB for an OG empty cardboard box. It might be still possible that your seller is a fraud. The video could have been made before the mixer was damaged or showing another item - an then he question should be asked on how good the mixer was wrapped for shipping. I mean how many 19" mixers get shipped troughout the year to clients and how often do we hear about a damaged piece? See. I hope you payed with PayPal and are going to file a claim
I'm sorry for your experience!
Thanks, but I am convinced the vendor did everything he could. I am not filing a claim. He arranged for some kind of additional protection with Reverb and I've been working with Reverb's resolutions team for a couple of months now. I initially got $300 compensation, and it looks like I might be getting more now that I've shown that I've taken measures to have the mixer repaired.

Edit: Oh, and I think I may end up shipping the mixer down to LA. I wrote them and am waiting on their reply.

metamorphmuses
Veteran Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:30 pm

Another update: I am not shipping the mixer to LA. I would have to spend roughly $250, and then give Advanced Musical Electronics a non-refundable deposit of $140 plus $35 for an estimate.

And then what if they estimate a repair of over $1500? At that point, because of the sunk cost, I would have spent in total more on this used mixer than a brand new one. I'd rather not have it repaired, try to see what I can do "under the hood" myself to fix it, and at worst just try and sell it as-is — even if it takes me literally years to find a buyer.

So, it doesn't make sense to spend roughly $425 before even getting enough information to be able to properly decide whether to go through with the repair it or not.

Just today, I found someone selling an Allen & Heath MixWizard WZ3 14:4 in near mint condition for a mere $400. I was able to go over to his place and test the mixer, find it working perfectly, and bought it. The next step is for me to do a proper test of the APB-Dynasonics versus the A&H in terms of sound quality and richness of timbre, using the Vermona PerFourMer as a test signal.

Return to “General Gear”