New Waldorf synth M

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Waldorf is teasing return of The Wave?

Post by h4ndcrafted » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:32 pm

Anybody care to speculate on price if it is a microwave ?
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stikygum » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:34 pm

Wow, that's exciting!
Nelson Baboon wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:37 pm
silly, but sure.

this is my guess. more like the xt, but with an analog filter. $1650
I would say Waldorf is going to utilize the wavetable synth in the Quantum and pair it with an analog filter. But I expect that it will be more than that. I'm curious if they try to bring back the grit from the originals utilizing some older tech. (As far as I remember, the tech for the XT is lost being that it was programmed on a computer system that quickly went under and became unsupported.)

The Quantum is awesome, but it doesn't have that crunchy grit from the Wave/MW1. So maybe this new synth will go there or maybe it will just be a modern sounding Waldorf Wave based on their newer tech.
WTB: Mungo d0, IME Kermit & Hertz Donut

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:08 pm

This is why I ask , it’s been a while since Waldorf put out a cheap synth hasn’t it ?
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:16 pm

stikygum wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:34 pm
Wow, that's exciting!
Nelson Baboon wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:37 pm
silly, but sure.

this is my guess. more like the xt, but with an analog filter. $1650
I would say Waldorf is going to utilize the wavetable synth in the Quantum and pair it with an analog filter. But I expect that it will be more than that. I'm curious if they try to bring back the grit from the originals utilizing some older tech. (As far as I remember, the tech for the XT is lost being that it was programmed on a computer system that quickly went under and became unsupported.)

The Quantum is awesome, but it doesn't have that crunchy grit from the Wave/MW1. So maybe this new synth will go there or maybe it will just be a modern sounding Waldorf Wave based on their newer tech.
Honestly, I would prefer an improved version of the old engine, but with new tables. There is magic in those older synths that I don't really hear in the much fancier newer ones. I'm not usually a vintage type of guy, but in the case of the Wave, uWave, and XT series, I kind of am. :mrgreen: My guess is that Waldorf might be seeing what the originals are going for, and readily snatched up at the whim of people selling used ones. Why not bring them back, and maybe add some modern conveniences.

I guess what I'm saying is, I kind of like some of the limitations of the old xxxxWaves, but would welcome say SSI Filters, fancier D to A maybe, (though still including lower bit rate wave tables). Improved software utilities like envelopes and LFOs. Maybe more voices ala XT-30? (but still firmly in the xxxxWave family) rather than Blofeld, Quantum, Iridium, etc. I know it's been all but ruled out, but I would love an XT or Q style interface. KNOBS!!!
Are you lemon? Does your head come to a nub?

Decimal
Common Wiggler

Post by Decimal » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:32 am

I have a feeling that this may be software-only. Perhaps a V-Wave?
Hope I'm proved wrong at Superbooth this week.
Kind Regards,
Decimal

jonne74
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jonne74 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:36 am

Decimal wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:32 am
I'm fairly convinced it's going to be a Microwave type deal. If you check the links by Nav and Waldorf's Instagram. They posted design sketches of the original MW with a text, "those were the days". Now they're saying, "these are the days again".

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:00 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:18 pm
obviously "who knows?". but I mean, a new wave would be close to double the price of the quantum
what makes you think a new Wave would cost more than a Quantum?
TOO FAR GONE

clusterchord
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by clusterchord » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:01 pm

one thing i sincerely hope for, if they do a hybrid again, that they do the old style signal path affair, like all their old hybrids had:

meaning per each voice you go:

digital oscillators --> analog filter/vca --> analog sum --> output

and not the D/A/D/A "sandwich" arhitecture like they first introduced in Q+, and now in Quantum.

another important element to the rawness of old hybrids was the pitch transposition algorithm (phase accumulator) like on ppg 22/23, wave, microwave and many other samplers during mid80s. and the resulting trademark mirroring once you start playing the low notes. however, i think they wont go that far.

i expect the simplest route for them at this point: use the existing tech for the digital oscillator section from the current products, and slap on the finally accesible vintage sounding filter and vca chips, from the barrage of reissues.

if not my ideal, i would still be extatic if that happens. as mentioned above, i love anything Waldorf (and PPG), and except the latest Quantum/Iridium generation, have machines from all other eras.

a "Microwave III" of sorts, with nice saturating analog filters and vcas, direct to output.... married with a nice knobby interface ...and a flashy bright colour 8-) 8-) ... whoaa i would jump on that yesterday.
- music for film, tv and theatre -

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:11 pm

did they find the lost filter code?

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:19 am

I'm surprised Las Vegas doesn't have odds for all guesses. Take the money from us degenerate gambling gear slutz.

Then again, our money is already in more gear.

I guess a tiny microwave type deal. But I will not wager.

rowsbywoof
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:09 am

Something Blofeld desktop size would be my guess. Microwave interface is fine with a matrix, and the original uWave only had one knob, so if they're going that route it would be fine... Very Blofeld-esque. Easy enough to get a controller for it if you need more knobs, or just do software control.

MadGav
Common Wiggler

Post by MadGav » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:02 am

A MicroWave 3 with SSI 2044 filters could be very interesting in desktop format, especially given that the BBG is likely to be 4-octave keyboard only. Nave on my iPad sounds great, shame that it hadn’t been updated to AUv3.

Decimal
Common Wiggler

Post by Decimal » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:58 am

jonne74 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:36 am
Decimal wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:32 am
I'm fairly convinced it's going to be a Microwave type deal. If you check the links by Nav and Waldorf's Instagram. They posted design sketches of the original MW with a text, "those were the days". Now they're saying, "these are the days again".
Thanks - I don't do FB or Istagram, so that's good to know!
Fingers crossed it's hardware with analog filter(s).
Kind Regards,
Decimal

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:17 pm

I have a vague recollection of Rolf winking about some new thing that was going to get closer to PPG sound in context of Quantum discussion. Since then they have released the “vintage/aliasing” wavetable mode, tho I still don’t find this particularly old school sounding. It could be that that they are saving “that” sound for whatever this new thing is.

commoner
Common Wiggler

Post by commoner » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:27 pm

The gif they just shared on fb makes it look like something larger. Same font, lines, knobs as the quantum, at least what’s visible. I was kinda hoping for another blofeld format to go with that and the pulse 2. Still excited, though.
the value of one's words can be measured by the count of their goos

commoner
Common Wiggler

Post by commoner » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:40 pm

deleted, better post below
Last edited by commoner on Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
the value of one's words can be measured by the count of their goos

jonne74
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jonne74 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:42 pm

IG post:

kinkujin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by kinkujin » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:21 pm

That looks bigger than a Blofeld. 😁

Isaiah
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Isaiah » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:08 pm

Looks like a dual concentric knob.
The text and graphics on the panel suggest this too.

adUb
Common Wiggler

Post by adUb » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:15 pm

I hope it's a new Microwave!

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stikygum » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:54 pm

rowsbywoof wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:09 am
Something Blofeld desktop size would be my guess. Microwave interface is fine with a matrix, and the original uWave only had one knob, so if they're going that route it would be fine... Very Blofeld-esque. Easy enough to get a controller for it if you need more knobs, or just do software control.
Or shell out for a Stereoping controller, with which at that point I rather pay extra money for an all in one synth with a knobby interface. Plus, why not support the company that actually made it happen.

I don't mind racks with iPad controllers. But if I compare my experience with the MW2 and the MWXT, it's night and day. Using one knob and multiple presses of buttons to flip through tons of menus isn't my idea of ok. That's basically me settling for something I don't fully want. If someone were to ask me to either take the rack with matrix or no product at all, I would happily buy the rack and try to map the controls, even though I'm not a fan of it. It's a personal preference, but I like to limit my external controller use for things that have no other way like the Yamaha FS1R. On the MWXT, I gel with it much more and can very quickly dial in sounds I'm shooting for. Not so on my MW1 or the MW2.
WTB: Mungo d0, IME Kermit & Hertz Donut

rowsbywoof
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:23 pm

My Microwave Rev A with Stereo Programmer right below it is identical in functionality and overall looks to my XT, sure there's an added expense to get a programmer, but there's also an added expense if Waldorf adds 40 knobs ;) I doubt you're making it out any cheaper if Waldorf does a bigger synth.

And see, I like the idea of having my patches and settings in my DAW that I can send right to my Microwave. Different strokes, I guess. The Microwaves are in the rack these days too, and sure, it's nice to wheel over there and mess with them, but I also don't mind digging in with software either. I guess it all comes down to what your workflow is, and what is more convenient for you.... and this thing already looks bigger than a Blofeld from the instagram video posted, so you might get your wish anyway :D But, even if you don't, there will be aftermarket solutions that will make it just as good as your XT, I'm sure of that, and who cares if it's one box or two... Stick them on a desk next to each other, or in a rack on top of one another, and they're going to take up pretty much the same space.

Decimal
Common Wiggler

Post by Decimal » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:02 am

I hope it's knobby. I hope it's hardware. I hope it's got some analogue filters inside, and it's polyphonic.
Minimal, small, one-knob modules are so '90s. The decade when synths became much less fun, unless you were lucky enough to be able to afford cut-price 80s analogue.
Kind Regards,
Decimal

EsquireKnight
Common Wiggler

Post by EsquireKnight » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:47 am

la cuadrícula de los sintetizadores modulares https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1338958

Return to “General Gear”