Nord vs Nord

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

gonkulator
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Nord vs Nord

Post by gonkulator »

I have owned a 3 since they came out maybe almost 20 years ago. I bought it primarily for the interface. I was never more productive than when I was using it. (I say "was" because about the time I got into modular I lent it to a friend who lives in So Cal. He tells me he will return it, but my hopes aren't up... It has puzzled me since it came out that other VAs haven't followed the interface idea. It is so useful, even if it isn't the purest sound around. I doubt I would want to own any of the other NLs, regardless of the sound (though I do still have a Mod G2.) (Oh, and yeah, the NL3 is in my avatar.)
Last edited by gonkulator on Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Racks
Solaris Site
Stuff for sale
Stuff for sale shown on Modulargrid
WTB: Black panels

Unflappably nonchalant, with some exceptions
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

electricfence wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:51 pm
Nelson Baboon wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:15 am
electricfence wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:23 pm
Nelson Baboon wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:20 pm
My other question: nord drum 2 vs 3p. As far as I can make out, the additional features and omissions in the 3p probably won't make much difference to me (don't need multiple trigger ins for instance). But the 3p seems to be MUCH cheaper on the used market. thus far i am encountering 4 figure prices for the 2. I am torn about one thing in the 3p - while the pads make it considerably larger (bad here right now), the pads do send out midi....

I haven't run into credible sources yet who claim that the 2 sounds better.....
I can’t say whether one sounds better than the other, but I have a 3p and I love it. It produces a wide range of sounds quickly, and the pads are also very useful for triggering other drum machines. Mine is mounted on a Gibraltar stand, and so it doesn’t take up any desk space. (I think the trigger inputs on the Nord Drum 2 account for most of why fetches so much on the used market.)
3p coming, and i'm wondering (knowing nothing about them) - any stands (the one you mention, or any other) that can assemble and dissassemble really easily and quickly?
The stand that I have is a Gibraltar 6713E 6700 Series Electronics Mounting Stand (from Sweetwater). It's a tripod style, with a clamp up top that attaches to an adapter plate on the 3p (I think the Nord comes with the adapter plate). It unclamps and collapses very quickly. I'm not a drummer, so I don't have much experience with drum equipment, but my guess is that most similar drum stands will break down quickly, just because drummers always have so much shit to carry with them.

FWIW, because I'm not a drummer, I had to get my Sales Engineer to recommend sticks for me. I wound up with Vic Firth American Classic 5B. They work fine. However, on some of the preset kits in the Nord, there's a pretty big difference in gain among the different drum sounds, with the short transients being a bit quieter (to my ears). When I was practicing at lower volumes, I sometimes had trouble hearing those quieter sounds over the sound of my stick hitting the pad. I got a set of practice tips (rubber covers for the tip of your drumstick), which dampened that acoustic noise enough, without affecting the velocity readings on the drum pads (much). Just FYI.
i'll check out those stands. How far does one get playing the pads with one's hands? I can't get too loud here, so I suspect I'd have the same issue with hearing the software sounds, though using my hands would probably avoid that. I'll check out those sticks and some of those rubber tips also.
gentleclockdivider
Common Wiggler

Post by gentleclockdivider »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:36 am it's hard to anticipate, when starting a thread, that new posters will come in and post misconstrue part of the discussion. I said nothing at all about 'dated hardware'. And no one said anything about older synth technology not sounding good. Please go away.
Get of your high horse and shut the condenscending behaviour towards newcomers , I've been lurking this site for +10 years .
Not going anywhere , get over it !
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:34 pm
Nelson Baboon wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:36 am it's hard to anticipate, when starting a thread, that new posters will come in and post misconstrue part of the discussion. I said nothing at all about 'dated hardware'. And no one said anything about older synth technology not sounding good. Please go away.
Get of your high horse and shut the condenscending behaviour towards newcomers , I've been lurking this site for +10 years .
the fact is that no one was talking about 'dated hardware' in the way that you were arguing against repeatedly, which more than one person explained.

It's true - the fact that you fall into what I have been encountering a lot recently (few posts, recent join date) doesn't necessarily mean that you hadn't 'lurked' here for years, but I still don't get why you are so insistent on something that really has nothing at all to do with this thread.

And I have nothing against new people with few posts. It's the behavior of some of them that I question.
acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob »

NL2X user for many years, I love my kit. Was never able to find a 3 for a good price.

NL2X secret functions. No Pelle Mode sadly.

Shift+Filter Type = Notch+HP filter.

Shift+LFO1 waveform = the display shows the values of the knobs as they are turned

Shift+Mod Env = the keyboard returns directly to the first stored program (program 1, or performance A01 when in performance mode)
gruebleengourd
Ultra Wiggler

Post by gruebleengourd »

Red Electric Rainbow wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:41 pm the 3 doesn’t really need an editor imo. you have all the visual indicators you would need via the LEDS. maybe im missing something as i no longer own one but its about as straight forward as it gets.
It doesn't so much need an editor, but the 3 very much benefits from a librarian.
Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow »

gruebleengourd wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:24 pm
Red Electric Rainbow wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:41 pm the 3 doesn’t really need an editor imo. you have all the visual indicators you would need via the LEDS. maybe im missing something as i no longer own one but its about as straight forward as it gets.
It doesn't so much need an editor, but the 3 very much benefits from a librarian.
https://github.com/malacalypse/NordLead3Librarian
TOO FAR GONE
Endorfinity
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Endorfinity »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:33 pm PLEASE - i'm not interested in your opinions gleaned from listening to youtube videos, etc. Just first hand experience. Please......
Despite the fact you've already made new gear acquisition you still may be interested in NL1 vs NL3 review I did years ago. I can share audio with proper quality (recorded directly into RME UFX+).

I think you've chosen wrong Nord to complement NL3, still you can do iteresting things: assign parameter morphing to velocity, switch LFO2 to echo (with decreasing velocity) and explore. Pelle mode to me was unruly and frustrated more than delivered. YMMV of course.
Thank you. EDIT: MAC OS only :(

I second the notion about editor redundancy, unless you've decided to program NL3 from another room or somehow racked NR3 into ceiling.
Last edited by Endorfinity on Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Endorfinity wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:36 amPelle mode to me was unruly and frustrated more than delivered. YMMV of course.
its unruly-ness is the best part. i think i read years ago its a physical modeling engine they never finished (strings maybe). use a mixer because its loud as a hell and the volume and gain knobs are out of play.
TOO FAR GONE
blech
Learning to Wiggle

Post by blech »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:05 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:34 pm
the fact is that no one was talking about 'dated hardware' in the way that you were arguing against repeatedly, which more than one person explained.

It's true - the fact that you fall into what I have been encountering a lot recently (few posts, recent join date) doesn't necessarily mean that you hadn't 'lurked' here for years, but I still don't get why you are so insistent on something that really has nothing at all to do with this thread.

And I have nothing against new people with few posts. It's the behavior of some of them that I question.
As someone who is also interested in this thread, in that I have a Nord 2x rack that I enjoy using and am curious about how the other Nord synths perform, your hyper-militant, self-appointed neighborhood watch-style haranguing of other poster's off-topic contributions is way more irritating and distracting than anything else I've read in this thread.

The "please go away..." shit is simultaneously childish and sadly funny. Maybe let go of the notion that because you started a thread on a public forum that you are somehow its owner and dictator.
stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stikygum »

Early Nords had a bite that is missing in later Nords. The description of being abrasive suits the NL1 and NL2. Not sure what Nord did since the NL2x, but since then they sounded more typical VA to me. I sold my NL3 a decade ago. It was a fantastic interface and one that I wish more companies would employ. The sound was good, but didn't grab me like the older Nords. I currently own an NL4R and do enjoy it. If I were looking for another Nord alongside a NL3 it would come down to several factors for me. If I wanted a quick no hassle synth with an instant sweet sound, I would pick the A1. I think Nord's motto for it was 'the lead for speed' because of it's quick sound design. Nords were already intuitive, but the A1 makes it almost instantaneous. The A1 is comparably limited, but really immediate and seems to have a large sweet spot because of it. Since I didn't want that for myself and wanted more flexibility, I chose the NL4R. There's 128 wavetables available onboard and more to tweak. Being a Nord, the interface is always good. Compared to the A1, you can make it sound more abrasive, good and bad (though subjectively good) with it's extra features. More things to tinker with so lots of oddities in there to find. There's really a Nord for everybody out there it seems.
WTB: Mungo d0, IME Kermit & Hertz Donut
Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

if a future lead reincorporated the rotary encoder LED per knob id be all over it. i thought the sound of the Lead 4 and A1 were really nice personally. the effects are much better than most synths and had no issues syncing to midi.
TOO FAR GONE
berfmurret
Ultra Wiggler

Post by berfmurret »

Nord comparison threads are pretty much my favorite synth discussion. The og nl sound has such nostalgia for me. Tickles my brain in the right ways.
If you already have a NL3 and are looking for a companion then definitely pick up a Nord Rack 2. THE classic sound, drum mode, very fair prices abound.
Happyanimal
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Happyanimal »

5b is a heavy stick. Try a 5a if you want something less heavy.
commoner
Common Wiggler

Post by commoner »

I've had my eyes on a nord keyboard since they started making them, and even though I've been curious about them, they've somehow never made my list. I really dig this thread. Thanks for focusing it, Mister Booban.
the value of one's words can be measured by the count of their goos

cynic is the word used by one who wishes to believe that a realist is wrong
ddiamond84
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ddiamond84 »

The A1 is one of the best synths I’ve ever played. Super immediate, sounds amazing, multitimbral, just flat out awesome. That said, the A1 and wave 2 are the only nords I’ve played. The wave 2 did nothing for me. I’m dying to try the lead 1-4!
synthguru
Common Wiggler

Post by synthguru »

I had the honor of programming factory presets for the Nord Lead, the Nord Lead 3, Nord Modular and the G2.
In fact, the G2X was my idea since I felt it deserved five octaves and Clavia agreed.
I still have - and play - a pre- production Nord Lead 3 and a pre-production Nord Modular that I programmed those factory patches on.

Since I was hired by Clavia for this job let me give you some insight on the NL3 encoders and why you don’t see a panel full of them on newer instruments from them.
When designing the NL3, they searched for appropriate and durable encoders that would endure years of playing.
They could find no “off the shelf” encoders that met this criteria.
So, they designed their own encoders and had them manufactured to their own high standards.
This has paid off for us synthesists that still play them but it was very, very costly for them.
I admire the high standards they placed on the Nord Lead 3 as a musical instrument rather than simply making a musical instrument industry product.

It is an instrument designed to very high standards - designed to be played for years.

To this day, after 40+ years of programming and playing synths, I have never encountered such a direct path from idea to realization of a sound via the front panel as what I have on my Nord Lead 3.
The closest instrument I can think of is the minimoog.
But, as we all know, the NL3 is far more capable of complex sounds than the minimoog but it still retains the simplicity of that classic synth panel interface.
Sheer genius.

All that being said, let’s talk about sounds.
Big sounds, thin sounds, lush sounds, metallic sounds, thick sounds.
Sound effect sounds, emulative sounds, etc.
All of these choices are available to a synthesist on any of the Nords.
It’s up to you to sculpt your idea into realization.
I can get all of these on my Nord Lead 3.

Cutting to the chase, of all the Nords - the NL3 is my pick of them all.
The Nord Modular is my second pick since it can sound any way I want, but it takes longer to get from point A to point B - but it certainly does win the trophy in versatility.

Below are two audio examples I’ve done of how versatile and drastically different a NL3 can sound.
Both examples are just Nord Lead 3 played live.
And after all, isn’t versatility what we want from a synthesizer?

"I live in your synthesizers - well, some of them ;-)"
gentleclockdivider
Common Wiggler

Post by gentleclockdivider »

Did you design the nord modular g1 preset 'for pete ' ?
That was , still is an amazing patch
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

was going to try to drop out of the thread, but i had to thank you for this post. It really is so interesting to hear from someone who was involved in the creation of these instruments...

I'm curious about one thing. From what I understand, the g2 and the lead 3 use the same basic core synth engine? Their sound is often compared.

Why did you single out the nord modular over the g2?
synthguru wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:27 pm I had the honor of programming factory presets for the Nord Lead, the Nord Lead 3, Nord Modular and the G2.
In fact, the G2X was my idea since I felt it deserved five octaves and Clavia agreed.
I still have - and play - a pre- production Nord Lead 3 and a pre-production Nord Modular that I programmed those factory patches on.

Since I was hired by Clavia for this job let me give you some insight on the NL3 encoders and why you don’t see a panel full of them on newer instruments from them.
When designing the NL3, they searched for appropriate and durable encoders that would endure years of playing.
They could find no “off the shelf” encoders that met this criteria.
So, they designed their own encoders and had them manufactured to their own high standards.
This has paid off for us synthesists that still play them but it was very, very costly for them.
I admire the high standards they placed on the Nord Lead 3 as a musical instrument rather than simply making a musical instrument industry product.

It is an instrument designed to very high standards - designed to be played for years.

To this day, after 40+ years of programming and playing synths, I have never encountered such a direct path from idea to realization of a sound via the front panel as what I have on my Nord Lead 3.
The closest instrument I can think of is the minimoog.
But, as we all know, the NL3 is far more capable of complex sounds than the minimoog but it still retains the simplicity of that classic synth panel interface.
Sheer genius.

All that being said, let’s talk about sounds.
Big sounds, thin sounds, lush sounds, metallic sounds, thick sounds.
Sound effect sounds, emulative sounds, etc.
All of these choices are available to a synthesist on any of the Nords.
It’s up to you to sculpt your idea into realization.
I can get all of these on my Nord Lead 3.

Cutting to the chase, of all the Nords - the NL3 is my pick of them all.
The Nord Modular is my second pick since it can sound any way I want, but it takes longer to get from point A to point B - but it certainly does win the trophy in versatility.

Below are two audio examples I’ve done of how versatile and drastically different a NL3 can sound.

16osc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by 16osc »

Ensure that rack nl1 is expanded or no drum mode!
16osc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by 16osc »

I own nl1, nl2, 2x, 3, modular 1, wave, a1, nl4. Nl1, 2 and 2x sound the same. I don’t care what anyone claims. I’ve tested over and over. Some early internet reports claim nl1 is diff. This is only because some it lacks a few features so some presets loaded to nl1 will sound slightly different. Adjust those params and sounds the same.

My #1 pick is nl1 keys. So beautiful (the slant!). I do wish I had a nl2 keys for the split and extra nl2 sound features.

Modular probably the best option and still easy to edit if you are mildly technical.

3 is fun. To add to internet rumors, guy on Gearslutz once claimed an early os sounded better and desperately wanted a copy of that version. It makes sense to me because a feature of later OS versions was more voices so perhaps they did lower something in the sound rendering to get those extra voices.

Wave’s big downfall is no four layers. Even the two layers do not work the way you would hope.

A1 is fun but no where as analog as people say. No complaints but I think about selling it at times when I’m tight on cash.

Nl4 is nice. If only it had drum mode.
Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio »

synthguru wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:27 pm Below are two audio examples I’ve done of how versatile and drastically different a NL3 can sound.

The cello patch is remarkable.
synthguru
Common Wiggler

Post by synthguru »

Blairio wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:56 am
synthguru wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:27 pm Below are two audio examples I’ve done of how versatile and drastically different a NL3 can sound.

The cello patch is remarkable.
Thank you. This is a factory Performance patch called “Scorer.”
It came with each Nord Lead 3.
While programming this, I spent more time on getting the vibrato right - the waveform was relatively easy.
Zon
"I live in your synthesizers - well, some of them ;-)"
Boofin Moonrocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Boofin Moonrocks »

I've been lusting after a nord rack 3 for so long. One came up on the for sale section here not too long ago for a fair price, but I just didn't have the funds at the time. One day!

Return to “General Gear”