Nord vs Nord

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Nord vs Nord

Post by anselmi »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:05 pm helps what? I'm not a new person here. I am focusing on the nords because that is what I'm looking for. I'm not interested in this. Thanks.
you're right, and this is my kind of answer too, but you were kinder to the one who named the NF-1 :cry:
electricfence
Veteran Wiggler

Post by electricfence »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:20 pm
My other question: nord drum 2 vs 3p. As far as I can make out, the additional features and omissions in the 3p probably won't make much difference to me (don't need multiple trigger ins for instance). But the 3p seems to be MUCH cheaper on the used market. thus far i am encountering 4 figure prices for the 2. I am torn about one thing in the 3p - while the pads make it considerably larger (bad here right now), the pads do send out midi....

I haven't run into credible sources yet who claim that the 2 sounds better.....
I can’t say whether one sounds better than the other, but I have a 3p and I love it. It produces a wide range of sounds quickly, and the pads are also very useful for triggering other drum machines. Mine is mounted on a Gibraltar stand, and so it doesn’t take up any desk space. (I think the trigger inputs on the Nord Drum 2 account for most of why fetches so much on the used market.)
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

thanks. that might be it, and probably the fact that you can't get them new anymore makes them "rare", lol.
gentleclockdivider
Common Wiggler

Post by gentleclockdivider »

dubonaire wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:59 pm
Nelson Baboon wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:32 pm
gruebleengourd wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:24 pm I had a nl1, still have a nl3... IMO the 3 is the most unique/interesting, it's also probably the most difficult to dial in sounds 'just right' NL2 / 2X really aren't that much different from the NL1. Compared the the nl3 they are less complex and generally sound 'good' in a VA prophet 5 kinda way. NL2 is pretty much the same as the NL1 with more voices, and the 2X is more high fi, but they are all pretty much the same synth. NL4 is the one that sounded best to me as far as "core sound", and it is more different from the other leads. If I had to get another nord lead that'd be the one. It has less morphing than the 3, but more pillowy pop to the sound compared to the nl3 sharp thin phasey lush vibe.

If you don't have a sampler&synthesis board, the nord wave 2 is cool, but I don't think there is a rack version.
Secret to all of the nord leads is to always program 4 layer patches.

my vote nord rack 4, but they are not easy to find.
interesting about the 4. I read mostly bad things about it on gs, but I'm not ruling it out. The wave 2 sounded kind of simple in some ways? like only 1 lfo, etc. opinions i read of it is that the ui was really nice, and the sound was good, but it was limited for 'synth nerds'. Also, these are pretty pricey, and like you said - keyboard only.
I had a Nord Lead 4 rack. I didn't like it. It's one of only two synths I've sold, the other being a Digitone. I bought the NL4 mainly because I wanted the drum mode stupidly not knowing they removed that feature on the NL4. Nord is such a frustrating company, it always seems to devolve its lineup. It has a nice interface but it really sounded very VA to me. I'm not an analog purist, but I felt it had an insipid quality compared to my other synths. That's probably just a personal taste thing but I think there are many more interesting synths around now.

By the way, no offence to the poster, but as to the suggestion to get a Nord Modular (which I see you are already not interested in), I see absolutely no point whatsoever in spending the current going price given it runs on dated hardware and abandoned software when you have VCV rack and Reaktor available.
Dated hardware doesn't mean anything if it still sounds good .
I only have dated hardware 😀 , and I am sure I'm not the only one here
And fyi , the nord modular editor runs perfectly fine on win 7,8 and 10 , mac not so but that's no surprise
Reaktor is nice , so is vcv , but the nord modular is something completely different ( talking about the g1 here) .
I have two slots permantly filled with two nord lead 2 structures , another for FM and wacky stuff , and the last slot is dedicated to audio +effects etc , processing the R8m
All detached from the computer !
For me it's the best sounding nord of all ( based on nl 2 )and it's even a great drumcomputer , I recreated microtonic on it , sounds absolutely stellar !
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

Ridiculous. Date hardware means everything if you either can't run it, or are worried that it won't run in the future.

Obviously, people are interested in modulars beyond them sounding "good"

You have very few posts, and haven't been a member for very long. Maybe you are talking to people who actually have some familiarity with this stuff? And it's just so amazingly hard to keep any thread here from devolving into chaos. Your post doesn't contribute anything.
gentleclockdivider
Common Wiggler

Bullocks !
My tg77 is dated , still runs fine
Roland r8m is dated , still runs fine
Modular ,etc..
Sure the occasional cap and or battery will need replacement but that's just a small issue
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

please go away. the 'dated' reference i think is more to do with hardware that requires a computer, and the computer software no longer being compatible. I don't think that anyone is talking about older synths simply because they are older.
abruzzi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by abruzzi »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:54 am.
I also discount any notions of something being the best synth ever.
I think your mistaking someones opinion for an objective truth. Just like for me, the G1 is the best VA ever.
abruzzi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by abruzzi »

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:51 pmAnd fyi , the nord modular editor runs perfectly fine on win 7,8 and 10 , mac not so but that's no surprise
Actually it works perfectly on Mac as well, just prebundle it with WINE and it works great. It doesn’t use any modern or challenging libraries to emulate, so it works great. I used WINEBottler to create the executable.
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

can we please try to focus this on the nord non-modular synths?

And abruzzi - yes, i know these are opinions, but i really don't care in this context about which synth someone thinks is 'the best'. my comments about this were in reference to these opinions. Why post them in this thread?
digitalganesha
Ultra Wiggler

Post by digitalganesha »

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:04 pm Bullocks !
My tg77 is dated , still runs fine
Roland r8m is dated , still runs fine
Modular ,etc..
Sure the occasional cap and or battery will need replacement but that's just a small issue
You're not using the "dated" adjective in the same manner as others. In your posts "dated" is being used as a replacement for "old." The connotation does not work with the denotation of the post. For example the SY-77 and the Roland R-8M are not dated pieces of gear as they operate and perform fully without being reliant upon peripheral utilities (which a battery does not really qualify as such since it's internal, integral and widely available.) The SY-77 is old, but is a deep and capable synthesizer that can still be easily used to produce sounds that are unique, comparable to current gear, and even surpass currently manufactured instruments. In addition, it's "dated" peripherals such as the disk drive can be easily upgraded with vastly superior currently made alternatives. The R-8M isn't outdated.... It's a tone module. And the drum tones in it are pretty good, and they are utilized frequently in music made currently. But the sounds can be easily sampled from the rack unit, which is more convenient and opens more potential. Hence, the R-8M would be more properly described as useless - not dated, since once it's sampled, it becomes redundant. The R-8Ms bigger relatives (R-8, R-8mkII) on the other hand are more useful, unique and desirable present day, more than even newly made drum machines because the sequencer is radical and specific solely to the R-8 drum machine.
digitalganesha
Ultra Wiggler

Post by digitalganesha »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:41 pm can we please try to focus this on the nord non-modular synths?
I saw this after I made my last post :doh: , so I apologize and shall keep it on topic.
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

digitalganesha wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:50 pm
Nelson Baboon wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:41 pm can we please try to focus this on the nord non-modular synths?
I saw this after I made my last post :doh: , so I apologize and shall keep it on topic.
oh, that's fine. I also corrected the same basic point in my post. it's difficult when someone is both off topic and wrong.
12eightyfive
Common Wiggler

Post by 12eightyfive »

Re: the Nord drums, I don't see why folks go so wild over Nord Drum 2, I always wanted to use it with the drum pad and it was kind of clunky to have the parts separate. The small footprint was nice, but I never actually used the trigger inputs. Looking seriously at a 3 now, from what I can tell they are pretty close to each other, maybe the 2 has an extra parameter or two. Not many helpful videos on YouTube unfortunately.
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi »

The 2x can save multis/performances without using a PCMCIA card (the 2 needs it).

I used both in single mode most of the time but then I started to combine them in singles and discovered a different nord experience and sound. I spent some time just combining all my previously created presets and found that this is a big part of the results that I initially missed. The slighty higher polyphony of the 2x could be useful when used in multi mode.

I owned both for a month and the sound differences are minimal, the character of the synth remains the same and it´s very different than the 3. I think the 4 is more a continuation of the 2x than the 3. The 3 is the different sounding nord lead for sure.

The 2 have the Pelle´s mode, the 2x doesn´t.

The drum mode can be useful for some people but I never found it particulary interesting and the sounds are kinda weak. Other could like them.
Happyanimal
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Happyanimal »

Had the NL3 for years- it sounds totally unlike all the other leads. I never really liked the overall timbre of the nl1 or nl2.

Something special about the NL3 with its
FM abilities, not to mention this endless encoders with LED.
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

Happyanimal wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:07 am Had the NL3 for years- it sounds totally unlike all the other leads. I never really liked the overall timbre of the nl1 or nl2.

Something special about the NL3 with its
FM abilities, not to mention this endless encoders with LED.
maybe my recollection is faulty, but in reading gearslutz you'd think that the 3 is totally deficient. I'll have more of an active opinion soon on how it sounds compared to the 2 or 1, but the analytical comparisons of the 3 and the 2x seem to totally disregard the sounds that you can get due to the extra capabilities of the 3. I mean, I'm not going to be actually using simple saw wave patches, etc, so I'm not sure why one should compare them other than a purely academic exercise.

I do remember years ago having the original nord modular, and then Clavia annouunced the g2. There was no upgrade program, and after selling the original and getting the g2, i found myself disappointed in the sound. It just didn't seem as strong.....but then later on - years later - I tried out a g2 engine and i thought that the sound was pretty fucking excellent. I think that sometimes, if you're expecting a certain sound and then you don't get it (for whatever reason) it will be regarded as a deficiency because of that context, whereas maybe if it was looked at as its own thing, the opinion would be different. And yet again - there was many years between the 2 experiences.
gentleclockdivider
Common Wiggler

Nelson Baboon wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:14 pm please go away. the 'dated' reference i think is more to do with hardware that requires a computer, and the computer software no longer being compatible. I don't think that anyone is talking about older synths simply because they are older.
You should have made that clear in your first post .
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

it's hard to anticipate, when starting a thread, that new posters will come in and post misconstrue part of the discussion. I said nothing at all about 'dated hardware'. And no one said anything about older synth technology not sounding good. Please go away.
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

electricfence wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:23 pm
My other question: nord drum 2 vs 3p. As far as I can make out, the additional features and omissions in the 3p probably won't make much difference to me (don't need multiple trigger ins for instance). But the 3p seems to be MUCH cheaper on the used market. thus far i am encountering 4 figure prices for the 2. I am torn about one thing in the 3p - while the pads make it considerably larger (bad here right now), the pads do send out midi....

I can’t say whether one sounds better than the other, but I have a 3p and I love it. It produces a wide range of sounds quickly, and the pads are also very useful for triggering other drum machines. Mine is mounted on a Gibraltar stand, and so it doesn’t take up any desk space. (I think the trigger inputs on the Nord Drum 2 account for most of why fetches so much on the used market.)
3p coming, and i'm wondering (knowing nothing about them) - any stands (the one you mention, or any other) that can assemble and dissassemble really easily and quickly?
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

it looks like mysteryislands has been working on a nord 3 editor for YEARS....anyone familiar with them? (they seem to have an editor for the 1 and the 2, but i suspect that an editor will be more useful for the 3. There are always some modes in complex synths where the ability to view stuff on a big screen is beneficial).
electricfence
Veteran Wiggler

Post by electricfence »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:15 am
electricfence wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:23 pm

3p coming, and i'm wondering (knowing nothing about them) - any stands (the one you mention, or any other) that can assemble and dissassemble really easily and quickly?
The stand that I have is a Gibraltar 6713E 6700 Series Electronics Mounting Stand (from Sweetwater). It's a tripod style, with a clamp up top that attaches to an adapter plate on the 3p (I think the Nord comes with the adapter plate). It unclamps and collapses very quickly. I'm not a drummer, so I don't have much experience with drum equipment, but my guess is that most similar drum stands will break down quickly, just because drummers always have so much shit to carry with them.

FWIW, because I'm not a drummer, I had to get my Sales Engineer to recommend sticks for me. I wound up with Vic Firth American Classic 5B. They work fine. However, on some of the preset kits in the Nord, there's a pretty big difference in gain among the different drum sounds, with the short transients being a bit quieter (to my ears). When I was practicing at lower volumes, I sometimes had trouble hearing those quieter sounds over the sound of my stick hitting the pad. I got a set of practice tips (rubber covers for the tip of your drumstick), which dampened that acoustic noise enough, without affecting the velocity readings on the drum pads (much). Just FYI.
CursedFrogurt
Square Enthusiast

Post by CursedFrogurt »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:15 am 3p coming, and i'm wondering (knowing nothing about them) - any stands (the one you mention, or any other) that can assemble and dissassemble really easily and quickly?
Do you have a local drum shop and the desire/ability to shop in person? If so, you could go in person and see what the options are.

If you don't go with that Gibraltar stand that electricfence mentioned, you'd probably need a straight cymbal stand, and boom clamp that would clamp to the stand and to the mounting bracket that is hopefully included with your 3P (mine has one, but not sure if it's standard or included with yours).

Honestly, that Gibraltar stand looks great. Simple, and they're super easy to collapse / set up.
Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:57 am it looks like mysteryislands has been working on a nord 3 editor for YEARS....anyone familiar with them? (they seem to have an editor for the 1 and the 2, but i suspect that an editor will be more useful for the 3. There are always some modes in complex synths where the ability to view stuff on a big screen is beneficial).
the 3 doesn’t really need an editor imo. you have all the visual indicators you would need via the LEDS. maybe im missing something as i no longer own one but its about as straight forward as it gets.
TOO FAR GONE

Return to “General Gear”