Nord vs Nord

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

folpon
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Nord vs Nord

Post by folpon »

My brief 2c: Back when gigging and touring were a thing, my daily rig was a Nord Stage 3 88 and a Nord Lead 3.

I personally kind of always quietly hated these things. I thought they sounded thin, stiff, kind of mundane -- but then... whenever I would listen back in the context of a live band over PA speakers, I thought they sounded awesome. Who knows why, but I can't deny it: I think the Lead 3 is a solid machine.
Los Angeles Public Libra
@folpon
stickman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by stickman »

Can anyone comment on the NL2/3 drum engine vs Nord Drum? Is it as capable?
Tajnost
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tajnost »

Me wondering if Drum Mode eats all 4 parts or works just as a norm sound so one can have „4drumkits“.
Annwn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Annwn »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:36 pm It looks like i will probably work out a good deal on an original nord lead rack. I think that the 2 would be ideal choice, but some other factors way into this decision, if it comes to that. But if I can fit it somewhere, i'd love to have a 2 of some sort.
The NL1 obviously misses some handy synthesis from NL2 but after having both, I love my 12 voice NL1r and don't miss the 2. Still has full MIDI cc spec and sounds great even if limited compared to modern synths. You do lose 2 outputs but you can still assign 1&3 to output 1 and 2&4 to output 2, though still not as elegant as dedicated outs.
I think I was just unlucky but some caps on the mainboard on my NL2 leaked and ruined the whole board and the best info I could find was that the era the NL2 was produced coincided with some very low quality components being used. YMMV but I would personally never gamble on a NL2 again.

I think we're in the age now where we appreciate early VAs for what they are, rather than expecting them to sound like an analogue P5 etc. hence their resurgence in popularity.
strettara
which way is up?

Post by strettara »

My impression, which is certainly wrong in every way, is that almost anything can be made to sound "good" with effects and eq etc., and in combination with other instruments. For me the real reason to love the NL3 is the interface. It sounded good to me, but what do I know. But as someone more interested in playing an instrument than in sound design, a simple, transparent interface with no menu diving and a limited number of mod options is far more appealing than something like the Pro3 which is all powerful but every time you switch patches, the knobs are all over the place and you have to go into the menu to see what's going on.

Anyway that has little to do with the topic and is just my no doubt completely wrong opinion.
"Three generations of imbeciles is enough." - Oliver Wendell Holmes.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow »

Tajnost wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:16 pm Me wondering if Drum Mode eats all 4 parts or works just as a norm sound so one can have „4drumkits“.
you can have 4 kits. polyphony is your only obstacle.
TOO FAR GONE
Endorfinity
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Endorfinity »

Long story short, through 2012 to 2021I've been tinkering with all Nords except 2X, A1 and Wave 2. I've kept the following:

NL3 - awesome UI, super duper quick FM patches, great morphing capacity. Layering unveils... layers of complexity, luckily encoder panel makes this process enjoyable and rewarding.

Wave 1 - of all Nord except G2 I liked its "core sound" (sorry for that) most. Limited, but weird enough to keep it interesting. Also, with prepared multi samples works great as drum machine.

G2 - greatest synthesizer ever created. Proud owner of 4 G2s in various incarnations.
abruzzi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by abruzzi »

Endorfinity wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:12 am G2 - greatest synthesizer ever created. Proud owner of 4 G2s in various incarnations.
very, very jealous. I will say that the only Nord I've ever owned is the first generation modular, and is easily my favorite VA ever, in fact I have one of each (key, rack, micro). I've wanted a G2 forever, but for years I'd see the price, think its too high, hope it comes down, then check back a few years later and it had gone up. Now its at a point that I'd probably have to sell one of my kidneys...

I also agree with the comment that you can make just about any synth sound good, and how much you enjoy using the synth is an important consideration, and the leads, all the leads, have some strong point in there favor. Its also why I don't consider something like Reaktor a replacement for a Nord Modular. Its just not enjoyable to use. (for me.)

If I were in the market for a lead, the 3 would probably be at the top of my list. The 2 or 2X would probably be second.
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

the notion that you can make any synth sound 'good'....
i'm not sure what that means exactly, or what relevance it has.

The fact that some lousy ass X synth can somehow fit into an ambient track with lots of reverb doesn't make it fun to use. It doesn't mean that when you change this oscillator pitch, the resulting sound moves in just this way that makes it fun to modulate. It doesn't make it sound so weird in just that way when you sequence it and send midi controllers....

I don't think that most people are looking for some kind of generic 'good' - they are hoping either for a specific sound, or (for weirdos like me) want to be able to improvise with it and have the sounds change dramatically, not sound pretty much the same because of all of the delay, or distortion, etc that's on it.

And such a synth that sounds 'good' only with tons of fx suddenly doesn't so so 'good' when the fx are taken out for contrast, etc.....

and of course, all of these other things mentioned make a huge difference also. And also (no one ever mentions this) the way the physical appearance smiles back at you when you turn the knobs, etc.

that's not to put down cool fx, either the great sounding traditional ones, or the more insane ones that help generate their own sounds (ct5 for instance)...but that's generally not the same sonic experience of working with a synth by itself. I love some of these fx (i have a few variants of the ct5, but i wouldn't use a nord through it to get a nord sound)
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

I'd have a g2 if I were confident that it will not require me, in a couple or a few years, to keep it on a separate computer. I just don't want to rely on it....

but yeah - it's a great synth, but deliberately left it out of my considerations here because i'm simply not interested in spending that kind of $ for one of the keyboard versions and then have it not run in the mac os that I will have to upgrade to at some point. I am also looking for more polyphony.

I also discount any notions of something being the best synth ever. The g2 is a fantastic modular environment to make sounds, and the sequencer is almost worth the price of the unit by itself (thinking about it makes me want to get an engine again), but it is simply not as fast to edit the sound as it is on one of the leads. One wouldn't replace the other most of the time, for me at least. I'd agree that I personally haven't liked any of the software modulars (that i've tried) as much.....hah, except for that old Vaz Modular, which i thought was great fun, but is pc only and no longer being developed (does it still run on current Windows platforms?). Similarly, if I am improvising, I can usually work more quickly on a more traditional synth - even a semi modular, than on a full one. Is one 'better'?

It obviously (?) would be a big project for them to support the g2 so that it would be sure to run on current platforms into the future, since people would still buy them new. I think. But I guess that they lost $ on them the first time around
digitalganesha
Ultra Wiggler

Post by digitalganesha »

Endorfinity wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:12 am Wave 1 - Limited, but weird enough to keep it interesting.
:foul:
I couldn't let that description exist in that state, when the Nord Sample Editor is so incredibly easy, convenient and fast in its ability to essentially provide the potential to be unlimited.

:yay: Also Sample Editor 4 has just been freshly released and now allows sample/audio recording directly into the program.
digitalganesha
Ultra Wiggler

Post by digitalganesha »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:44 am the notion that you can make any synth sound 'good'....
i'm not sure what that means exactly, or what relevance it has.

The fact that some lousy ass X synth can somehow fit into an ambient track with lots of reverb doesn't make it fun to use. It doesn't mean that when you change this oscillator pitch, the resulting sound moves in just this way that makes it fun to modulate. It doesn't make it sound so weird in just that way when you sequence it and send midi controllers....

I don't think that most people are looking for some kind of generic 'good' - they are hoping either for a specific sound, or (for weirdos like me) want to be able to improvise with it and have the sounds change dramatically, not sound pretty much the same because of all of the delay, or distortion, etc that's on it.

And such a synth that sounds 'good' only with tons of fx suddenly doesn't so so 'good' when the fx are taken out for contrast, etc.....

and of course, all of these other things mentioned make a huge difference also. And also (no one ever mentions this) the way the physical appearance smiles back at you when you turn the knobs, etc.

that's not to put down cool fx, either the great sounding traditional ones, or the more insane ones that help generate their own sounds (ct5 for instance)...but that's generally not the same sonic experience of working with a synth by itself. I love some of these fx (i have a few variants of the ct5, but i wouldn't use a nord through it to get a nord sound)
This is synth post perfection. Serious. 1000% agree.
I'll add this ancient concept (in regards to the "any synth can be made to sound good" idea) passed down from studio to studio, through the decades, from audio engineer to audio engineer: "shit in, shit out - nothing will make bad audio sound good."
digitalganesha
Ultra Wiggler

Post by digitalganesha »

Here's the sort of sounds I tend to pull from the NL3 and why it's 100% love and playability to me. Also I do show patches both dry and then with basic FX so you can hear that the sonic quality comes from the synthesizer and the FX merely enhance its goodness.

estragon
Common Wiggler

Post by estragon »

I picked up a Nord Rack 2 earlier this year after believing that owning a G1 made it unnecessary. That's still kind of true in my case, but the interface makes it much more comfortable to work with and the simplicity of the architecture forces you to push at the edges harder than you would with the G1. There are plenty of zones where you can abuse the engine to get more complex sounds or drive it into ear-bashing aliasing - the morph function and primitive FM implementation let you go into ugly places very quickly. You can also play it safe and dial up simple bass and pad patches that sound satisfying and 'correct' in the same way you'd expect from a Juno or SH101.

The only bummer for me is that I've found the percussion mode to be incredibly tedious to program and not really worthwhile when I can offload drum duties back to the G1, but there are still plenty of other people who can get great results out of it.
strettara
which way is up?

Post by strettara »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

There's a difference between bad "audio" - which may be effectively unrecoverable, no doubt, like really crappy recordings, and as a one time audio guy on documentaries, that rings very true - and the sound of a synth which may be pleasing to one person and not to another and can be tweaked in post. Plus aren't you people the ones who are all about compression, high end effects and so on, to massage your stuff into sounding "good"? In the so-called mix? You can't have it both ways, children.

Anyway the NL3 sounded good to me and had possibly the best interface i've seen for such a complex instrument. C'est ca.
"Three generations of imbeciles is enough." - Oliver Wendell Holmes.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

must you troll every thread of mine? There is no contradiction at all in what I posted. Go away. Call people names in your own threads, please.
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:44 am the way the physical appearance smiles back at you when you turn the knobs, etc.
I really like that turn of phrase for describing an instrument’s emotional physical qualities 8-)
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

so, while i'm in this nord phase, i'll leave one update and have a couple of ?'s....

i took the opportunity to buy an almost new nord lead (original), expanded, with pmcia (did i spell that right?) card which i probably won't need. I probably should have waited for a nice 2. Still might go for one.....but:

does anyone remember an internet character from the 1990's and maybe early 2000's who called herself (i think 'it' was a she) antiorp, integer, and a host of other names that i'd have trouble spelling without research. But she put out a couple of albums....what I remember was that the legend was that at least the first one was done entirely on the original nord lead. What was noteworthy about the album is that it was possibly the most sheer sonic noise mayhem digital noise ever released....at least that's how i remember it.

I was unable to find a copy now. I ordered one a few days ago from frog peak music,, but they must no longer have them, since they refunded my money today.

Does anyone have a copy of this, or know where to get one? I used to have it, but i must have misplaced it. In fact, i had 2 copies....damn. Someone here must have it.

My other question: nord drum 2 vs 3p. As far as I can make out, the additional features and omissions in the 3p probably won't make much difference to me (don't need multiple trigger ins for instance). But the 3p seems to be MUCH cheaper on the used market. thus far i am encountering 4 figure prices for the 2. I am torn about one thing in the 3p - while the pads make it considerably larger (bad here right now), the pads do send out midi....

I haven't run into credible sources yet who claim that the 2 sounds better.....
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

digitalganesha wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:28 am Here's the sort of sounds I tend to pull from the NL3 and why it's 100% love and playability to me. Also I do show patches both dry and then with basic FX so you can hear that the sonic quality comes from the synthesizer and the FX merely enhance its goodness.

Some really nice sounds on there. I prefer the edgier ones to the pretty ones, but I think that you capture that tonal complexity that I like about it. Thanks for posting this!
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi »

Virus A desktop is the one
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

anselmi wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:47 pm Virus A desktop is the one
you mean 'the one' that i have absolutely no interest in at all?

i'd really like this not to turn into a 'my favorite synth' thread.
oldgearguy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by oldgearguy »

I loved the Nord Drum 2 sounds, but hated the fact they forced it all out of only 2 outputs. If they had 4 or more outputs it would have been a keeper
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:51 pm
anselmi wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:47 pm Virus A desktop is the one
you mean 'the one' that i have absolutely no interest in at all?

i'd really like this not to turn into a 'my favorite synth' thread.
well, yeah... just trying to add something that could be a different direction to a too much focused vision... sometimes this helps

if not then get the rack 2x, it´s an instant right sounding synth in most situations and will complement the 3´s wider sound palette
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

helps what? I'm not a new person here. I am focusing on the nords because that is what I'm looking for. I'm not interested in this. Thanks.
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

oldgearguy wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:54 pm I loved the Nord Drum 2 sounds, but hated the fact they forced it all out of only 2 outputs. If they had 4 or more outputs it would have been a keeper
i don't care too much about multiple outputs. 2 is fine for me. I'm old.

Return to “General Gear”