Nord vs Nord

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Re: Nord vs Nord

Post by Nelson Baboon »

this was a great thread for me. It led to me having all 3 early nord leads here to compare and contrast. After spending time with them, I've decided that having the 1 and the 2 is really overkill given my available space - so i just put it up for sale in that section. It is in beautiful condition, expanded, and has a working pcmcia card.
acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:56 pm this was a great thread for me. It led to me having all 3 early nord leads here to compare and contrast. After spending time with them, I've decided that having the 1 and the 2 is really overkill given my available space - so i just put it up for sale in that section. It is in beautiful condition, expanded, and has a working pcmcia card.
Oh okay great I will take your NR3. Shipping to Denmark incl. in the price?
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

? the 1 is for sale, and no, shipping to denmark would not be included. There is an ad in f/s/t.
acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:34 pm ? the 1 is for sale, and no, shipping to denmark would not be included. There is an ad in f/s/t.
Ok, sounds great, I cant seem to find the NR3 for sale though :miley: (It was a joke sir)
But buying your NR3 is no joke!
acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:34 pm ? the 1 is for sale, and no, shipping to denmark would not be included. There is an ad in f/s/t.
Hi Nelson, I am looking to upgrade my NL2X and found a A1R in Germany, after your investigation, did you find that the NL2X could be replaced by the 3, 4 or A1? I simply just love the sound of my NL2X, and I would be really sorry to upgrade and find that the A1 doesnt sound as good as the NL2X.
It's like I cant really make it sound bad, no matter what I do, the simplicity and the layout is perfect for me.
So basically I am asking for your advice. (I know you are not selling your NL3 ;) )
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

it has been quite a few years since i tried the 2x. And i have never tried anything after the '3'.

So, i don't think i can really comment knowledgeably to your questions.
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi »

acidbob wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:15 pm
Hi Nelson, I am looking to upgrade my NL2X and found a A1R in Germany, after your investigation, did you find that the NL2X could be replaced by the 3, 4 or A1? I simply just love the sound of my NL2X, and I would be really sorry to upgrade and find that the A1 doesnt sound as good as the NL2X.
It's like I cant really make it sound bad, no matter what I do, the simplicity and the layout is perfect for me.
So basically I am asking for your advice. (I know you are not selling your NL3 ;) )
for me the NL3 sounds very different to the 1, 2 and 2x.
The A1 have a more Stage´s synth engine-ish sound and I´d put the 4 between the 2x and the 3 sonicwise, with some extra mojo in the audio that you could or couldn´t like
acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob »

Ah thanks, I think perhaps the 2x is a keeper then, but really I just wanted the same sound but with the added FX and morph.
I think perhaps the newer Nords sound quite different, and something I am not too much into, I went through all the demos I could find, maybe I am just imagining or cant wrap my head around if they can really sound the same. Maybe I am just crazy in thinking there is something magical about the 1-2-2x... I did some stupid s**t in the past by selling some of my favourite synths and some drum machines thinking, oh yeah, the new version must be better and sometimes I get caught up in the hype around these new instruments. Dreaming about sounds I could do with them, without not even having played them.

Basically I am down to either getting a Sequential rev. 2. I really like the sound of my Tetra, it's a pain to program, but it can really sing in the right way. And then there is the A1r, they are basically the same price. And I know they are quite different, I like the idea of layering patches like I can do on the 2x.

I actually have quite a lot of synths, like the SE-01, SH01a, JU06a, JX03, Peak, Matrix 1000, some Behringer clones, A4, Digitone, my small modular and more so I dont really need another synth as such, the thing is that I might be able to get a little cash for the Tetra, and I want to re-invest that in something with knobs and buttons. Something poly and multi-timbral
Endorfinity
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Endorfinity »

acidbob wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:04 pm Maybe I am just crazy in thinking there is something magical about the 1-2-2x...
yup
acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob »

Endorfinity wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:02 pm
acidbob wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:04 pm Maybe I am just crazy in thinking there is something magical about the 1-2-2x...
yup
Are you calling me crazy :hihi:
Endorfinity
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Endorfinity »

acidbob wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:06 pm
yup
not really, but if I'd have to start over my quest in searching for the perfect* Nord, I'd skip those models right away :)

*and i'd fail miserably anyway
acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob »

Endorfinity wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:46 am
acidbob wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:06 pm
yup
not really, but if I'd have to start over my quest in searching for the perfect* Nord, I'd skip those models right away :)

*and i'd fail miserably anyway
So if I understand correctly you are not fond of any of the Nord models and you especially dont like the early models?
I am not sure how that contributes to the question I was asking? Seems like saying that you dont like old gravy and in general you dont like gravy which doesnt really help anyone
Endorfinity
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Endorfinity »

acidbob wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:01 am So if I understand correctly you are not fond of any of the Nord models and you especially dont like the early models?
Not at all! Nord is my favourite brand of synthesizers, atm I have 9 of them. The list goes like this:

Lead 2 (on sale now)
Lead 3
Rack 3
Modular G2
Modular G2 Engine Expanded
Modular G2X
Modular G2X
Wave (on sale now)
Wave

Trust me, that was a loooong journey but still there's no perfect. Guess which Nord I prefer the most, though.
Last edited by Endorfinity on Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob »

Endorfinity wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:29 am
acidbob wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:01 am So if I understand correctly you are not fond of any of the Nord models and you especially dont like the early models?
Not at all! Nord is my favourite brand of synthesizers, atm I have 9 of them. The list goes like this:

Lead 2 (on sale now)
Lead 3
Rack 3
Modular G2
Modular G2 Expanded
Modular G2X
Modular G2X
Wave (on sale now)
Wave

Trust me, that was a loooong journey but still there's no perfect. Guess which Nord I prefer the most, though.
Ah ok now I get it. Sorry about that.
Hmm, perhaps the G2?

Have you tried the A1? I am kind of in between the 4 and the A1.
Endorfinity
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Endorfinity »

acidbob wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:41 am Have you tried the A1? I am kind of in between the 4 and the A1.
I wouldn't call my 30-minute encounter with A1 as a proper experience, but A1 left the impression of being a synthesizer for stage musicians, not synthesists. EDIT hours later: Roland System-8 is better in almost every aspect except 2 part multitimbrality and plasticky feel.

NL4 is fine in this regard, although compared to NL3 and NW it felt unreasonably dumbed down UI and feature-wise, it sounds really good, basic patches would sound different from your NL2X and I think this would be a good upgrade.

G2 is not good nor bad, it's a universe of it's own.
stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stikygum »

Endorfinity wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:55 am
acidbob wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:41 am Have you tried the A1? I am kind of in between the 4 and the A1.
I wouldn't call my 30-minute encounter with A1 as a proper experience, but A1 left the impression of being a synthesizer for stage musicians, not synthesists. EDIT hours later: Roland System-8 is better in almost every aspect except 2 part multitimbrality and plasticky feel.

NL4 is fine in this regard, although compared to NL3 and NW it felt unreasonably dumbed down UI and feature-wise, it sounds really good, basic patches would sound different from your NL2X and I think this would be a good upgrade.

G2 is not good nor bad, it's a universe of it's own.
I like the NL4 more than the NL3. What features of the NL3 do gravitate more towards? The LED rings on the knobs of the 3 are nice, but I'm glad to have more wavetables in the 4.
WTB: Mungo d0, IME Kermit & Hertz Donut
joey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by joey »

the Nord 3 is my favorite nord

but if I had to have a second, i'd say the wave 2

even though the modulation capabilities are extremely limited, there is something about the sound that I just love

but its def not a desktop unit. and tehre wasnt a desktop of the wave 1 either sadly
acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob »

joey wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:30 am the Nord 3 is my favorite nord

but if I had to have a second, i'd say the wave 2

even though the modulation capabilities are extremely limited, there is something about the sound that I just love

but its def not a desktop unit. and tehre wasnt a desktop of the wave 1 either sadly
The search is over, I finally took the plunge and went with an A1r from Reverb. 1200 euro, I am not sure if that's expensive or not, didnt have much to compare it against price wise. I sure hope I will like it, for me that is a lot of money to spend, I try not to buy too much gear anymore and also my eurorack system is just 1/10 of what it used to be.

It's not often I see the A1r for sale, so I thought, well, you only live once, that is the saying at least

The demo of the wave 2 sounds amazing
Endorfinity
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Endorfinity »

stikygum wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:53 pm I like the NL4 more than the NL3. What features of the NL3 do gravitate more towards? The LED rings on the knobs of the 3 are nice, but I'm glad to have more wavetables in the 4.
Sorry for late reply.

I almost started boring feature list recitation but I'll summarize it in three broad groups: UI, osc/filter configrations, modulation capabilities.

NL4's selection of wavetables (sic!) is great indeed.
acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob »

Endorfinity wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:52 am
stikygum wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:53 pm I like the NL4 more than the NL3. What features of the NL3 do gravitate more towards? The LED rings on the knobs of the 3 are nice, but I'm glad to have more wavetables in the 4.
Sorry for late reply.

I almost started boring feature list recitation but I'll summarize it in three broad groups: UI, osc/filter configrations, modulation capabilities.

NL4's selection of wavetables (sic!) is great indeed.
I found this demo quite good. Thanks for all the input from everyone
AdamJay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by AdamJay »

NL4 fan here. Love the 4 note chord mode (looking at you, Wave 1, with your measley 3 note chord mode). Of course NL3 is better in this regard.

The unique LFO 1 shapes are also a nice touch. And I get a ton of mileage out of the impulse morphs. Like Elektron Rytm scenes on a keyboard synth. And I get a lot of mileage out of the organ waves for Detroit techno tracks. I only wish it had the looping mod envelope option like NL3.

I nearly sold my Hydrasynth KB to fund an NL3 recently but talked myself out of it. But the reasonably priced Wave 1 in the trade section also tempts me, limited chord mode not withstanding. I borrowed a Wave 1 for about a month last year and got some great performances out of the relatively quick and painless bitimbral mode, sending sequences to it and switching parts back and forth while tweaking the phase modulation and filters. A pretty singular experience I’ve yet to find in another synth.

The thing that makes me love Nords is the mod section in the 3/4/Wave1. More destinations than your average Roland or Korg synth, but not so deep that you have to get into a matrix or menu. Quick and easy to maximize a given patch’s capabilities and move on with composition. Excellent design and balance of form and function.

(edited for spelling)
AdamJay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by AdamJay »

Anyone else notice this about the Nord Lead 4?
The advertised 20 voice polyphony is, perhaps, some kind of mean, or median.

Running some test with chord memory, single part mode (not performance mode), no unison, no FX, modulation off, all filters tested, and all OSC config combos tested...

With a chord memory of 4 notes I get a total of 8 voice polyphony.
With a chord memory of 3 notes I get 12 voice polyphony.

But here's where it gets interesting...
Without chord memory on, I get 16 voice polyphony
With chord memory back on, and set to 2 notes, I get 32 voice polyphony.

To test, I have the amp envelope turned up in decay and release
iIhit the lowest note on the KB
then pepper in more at the very top of the register, and listen for that lowest note to rotate off
and then repeat by starting with highest note, and then pepper in more notes on lowest end of keyboard, to make sure it's not some kind of note priority thing.

I'm not complaining, I just find it interesting. (especially the chord memory off vs 2 note chord finding)
In the manual, it is stated that "several voices will be used in the chord memory function, this reduces polyphony" - I thought this just meant, chord memory = uses a linear multiplication of voices chosen, but no, the chord memory calculation under the hood is chewing through additional polyphony in interesting ways.
acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob »

To hopefully end the conversation I started in this thread, I received my A1r and I have to say that I am very pleased, it sounds different to the 2X, enough for now to justify keeping both. The A1 is capable of some sounds that the 2X cant, but I also feel that the 2X does some sounds better in the low end, maybe I just need to spend some more time with the A1 and I might be able to produce similar sounds. The FX are good and the envelope is not something that bothers me. All I can say is, I am happy with the purchase. Now it's all about digging into the machine
acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob »

Endorfinity wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:29 am

Lead 2 (on sale now)
Lead 3
Rack 3
Modular G2
Modular G2X
Modular G2X
Wave (on sale now)
Wave

I got my hands on a broken Nord modular G2, I managed to get it working after a lot of fiddling around on the main board.
I am new to this synth and the editor, is it really not possible to upload several patches at the same time, lets say I want to load in the factory sounds. It takes forever if I have to do them one at a time... Hope you can help ;)
RickKleffel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RickKleffel »

Endorfinity wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:29 am Not at all! Nord is my favourite brand of synthesizers, atm I have 9 of them. The list goes like this:

Lead 2 (on sale now)
Lead 3
Rack 3
Modular G2
Modular G2X
Modular G2X
Wave (on sale now)
Wave

Where does the Nord Lead 4R fit? I had V1, and it made some irreplaceable sounds, till it died, which annoyed me and made me sad.

Return to “General Gear”