Voting open for your top 3 tracks in our Odd Meter Remix/ReMangle/Reimagine Challenge

Prizes generously donated by:
ADDAC System (Eurorack 3U)
Endorphin.es (Eurorack 3U)
Fred's Lab (DIY Paraphonic Synth)
Northern Light Modular (Buchla-format h-series OR Eurorack3U)
Rattly and Raw (Wiggler Approved Kontakt Instrument)
Studio.h (Buchla-format 4U)

Get your vote on and free 42 minute modular playlist for your listening pleasure.

Erica Synths desktop digital Matrix Mixer

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Neither
Common Wiggler

Re: Erica Synths desktop digital Matrix Mixer

Post by Neither » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:40 pm

TJontheRoad wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:54 am
monads wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:00 pm
Wondering how stacks up against ALYSEUM MATRIX II. The recall ability is nice but without the ability to name patches you'd better have a cheat sheet handy!
I was comparing them. The Alsyseum does have a few extra features and costs less. Alsyseum has a free computer editor, CV offset control pot, program changes via both MIDI note and PC (Erica only allows MIDI PC), and clock input. The fact it is in eurorack might be a negative considering a maximum 37 cables hangin out of it. It is also sold out right now.

I preferred the desktop form factor of the Erica and that is why I went for it. I can use it for more than just with my eurorack. Alsyseum is still interesting to me and I may also get one. I'll use the Erica for audio and the Alsyseum for CV, gate, and triggers. I inquired abut upcoming availability and was told within a few weeks.

If you use a MIDI controller and it has names for presets, I think that should be enough.
Does the Alsyseum Matrix II have any way to attenuate each point? Seems like a really useful feature to have and easy to keep on track with the dimming leds, even if it's only 3 levels (as with ES's).
Cabinet of dr. Caligari with soundFX & re-score
https://youtube.com/watch?v=w2pbPd9OfxM

TJontheRoad
Common Wiggler

Post by TJontheRoad » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:49 pm

Neither wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:40 pm
TJontheRoad wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:54 am
monads wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:00 pm
Wondering how stacks up against ALYSEUM MATRIX II. The recall ability is nice but without the ability to name patches you'd better have a cheat sheet handy!
I was comparing them. The Alsyseum does have a few extra features and costs less. Alsyseum has a free computer editor, CV offset control pot, program changes via both MIDI note and PC (Erica only allows MIDI PC), and clock input. The fact it is in eurorack might be a negative considering a maximum 37 cables hangin out of it. It is also sold out right now.

I preferred the desktop form factor of the Erica and that is why I went for it. I can use it for more than just with my eurorack. Alsyseum is still interesting to me and I may also get one. I'll use the Erica for audio and the Alsyseum for CV, gate, and triggers. I inquired abut upcoming availability and was told within a few weeks.

If you use a MIDI controller and it has names for presets, I think that should be enough.
Does the Alsyseum Matrix II have any way to attenuate each point? Seems like a really useful feature to have and easy to keep on track with the dimming leds, even if it's only 3 levels (as with ES's).
I would assume the offset control pot works as an attenuator for audio. Best to ask them.

ZenitSar
Common Wiggler

Post by ZenitSar » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:39 pm

I didn't even know it was coming out. They were in stock when I found out about it, so I bought one right away.

I've been waiting for something like this to come out to use with my eurorack. The other matrix mixers out there weren't ticking all of my boxes. This one hits the mark. I planned out my setup with it for a week before it arrived. After one day with it I had revised that setup. By the end of the second day I had thought of several setups where I could utilize it in conjunction with my eurorack and other toys I use. I labeled the ins and outs with some masking tape and fine tip marker. I also labeled the mixer and attenuverter modules in my case that I was using. That helps a lot. A little white board panel for labeling would be a nice addition.

It works flawlessly. So easy to save and recall patches. So easy to experiment. Great for generative patches that you can tweak on the fly. Excellent for using in conjunction with tactile controllers. One would need a lot of mixer modules just to be able to route so much in and out of a joystick, for example. I did learn quickly that it's better to plug everything you want into it and then leave that alone. Try to squeeze as much as you can out of that setup. There's not enough room to patch in and out of every cv input you might have available, but you can use mults, unity gain mixers, and manual patching to make it work. I thought I would be removing my mixer modules after I got this, but they are as needed as ever. Small mixers are essential when using the matrix mixer. Recommended!

joey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by joey » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:34 am

my review / exploration:

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:30 pm

joey wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:34 am
my review / exploration:

hahahahaha... this is awesome.
your videos are great.
http://xexify.bandcamp.com
Nelson Baboon wrote: What do you mean by 'really is'? You mean, what do I look like? Just look in a fucking National Geographic.

Unborn Gore
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Unborn Gore » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:04 pm

That is an epic video. Great demo!

Dave Kendall
Set The Controls . . .

Post by Dave Kendall » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:02 am

The Alyseum Matrix looks nice, and is cheaper, but it does have one limitation that the Erica matrix doesn't have, and that's probably down to the use of the AD75019 matrix IC.
From the Alyseum Matrix User manual:
The MATRIX II does NOT function as a mixer
While it is possible to map one input location to several output locations (and thus have the MATRIX II act as a multiplier), it is impossible to map several inputs to the same output.
This makes quite a difference IMO.
Want to Buy: KURZWEIL KSP8
Want to Buy: old EFM PCBs

"Everything in moderation, including moderation"

TJontheRoad
Common Wiggler

Post by TJontheRoad » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:15 am

Dave Kendall wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:02 am
The Alyseum Matrix looks nice, and is cheaper, but it does have one limitation that the Erica matrix doesn't have, and that's probably down to the use of the AD75019 matrix IC.
From the Alyseum Matrix User manual:
The MATRIX II does NOT function as a mixer
While it is possible to map one input location to several output locations (and thus have the MATRIX II act as a multiplier), it is impossible to map several inputs to the same output.
This makes quite a difference IMO.
That's huge limitation for the Alyseum and doesn't make it very usable for my setup. Glad I went with the Erica. I've been very happy with it.

Return to “General Gear”