Voting open for your top 3 tracks in our Odd Meter Remix/ReMangle/Reimagine Challenge

Prizes generously donated by:
ADDAC System (Eurorack 3U)
Endorphin.es (Eurorack 3U)
Fred's Lab (DIY Paraphonic Synth)
Northern Light Modular (Buchla-format h-series OR Eurorack3U)
Rattly and Raw (Wiggler Approved Kontakt Instrument)
Studio.h (Buchla-format 4U)

Get your vote on and free 42 minute modular playlist for your listening pleasure.

Erica Synths desktop digital Matrix Mixer

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Unborn Gore
Wiggling with Experience

Erica Synths desktop digital Matrix Mixer

Post by Unborn Gore » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:50 pm

seta666
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Erica Synths desktop digital Matrix Mixer

Post by seta666 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:59 am

Yes it does. Must be great fun to use, I like it can attenuate the signal and that it can accent guirar/line level instruments

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:07 am

SSL did this years ago but just for audio. It was controlled by an app on the computer I think.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

red
Wiggling with Experience

Post by red » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:25 am

Already some time ago I thought if Erica Synths will realize the matrix unit of the SYNTRX as a standalone module!

...but this results in some open questions
- A "flying" desktop device with 30 or more patch cables connected to the modular system - how practicable is this?
- How can I remember 16 inputs and outputs that end up in the cable clutter of the modular system?
- The use of the matrix mixer requires almost a fixed wiring, otherwise it makes no sense to store a matrix configuration to be recalled later...
- Wouldn't an integration as a module have been more practical?

Anyway - I am curious to see some demos...
red

Kawouddd
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:33 am

red wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:25 am
- Wouldn't an integration as a module have been more practical?
I assume it would be far, far too big. They do have a tidy working model on the syntrx but that lacks jacks.

Edit: I saw this on elevator’s news email, and had the twin reaction of “omfg want” and “ok, I can’t use this, it will be pure cable chaos.”

red
Wiggling with Experience

Post by red » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:07 am

Black Matrix Module (28HP)

should work - maybe all a little tight - and a smart inscription would be necessary. The Kabelsalat remains...
red

revtor
Dialing it in..

Post by revtor » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:10 am

Instant randomization of all those connections is super cool at least!!!
Fellow North Jersey Synthaholic

Unborn Gore
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Unborn Gore » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:32 am

Yeah, I think this device is more about:
1. putting together a single patch
2. Cross-modding that one patch in 200 ways. So if you find a really good patch you like, this lets you keep it and explore it.
3. Easily introducing line-level instruments and/or FX pedals on the 1/4” I/O.

pricklyrobot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pricklyrobot » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:12 pm

They should bring out a 1U patchbay to go with it, maybe with some multi-pin breakout cables.

Or even full-on cases already set up to easily interface with it.

Stice
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Stice » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:31 pm

Navigating that thing with encoders sounds like a nightmare, and an express ticket to repetitive motion injury
Turn on. Plug in. Slew down.

stickman
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stickman » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:20 pm

Unborn Gore wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:32 am
Yeah, I think this device is more about:
1. putting together a single patch
2. Cross-modding that one patch in 200 ways. So if you find a really good patch you like, this lets you keep it and explore it.
3. Easily introducing line-level instruments and/or FX pedals on the 1/4” I/O.
The 1/4" io is still unity gain at best.. seems like a (very minor) missed opportunity..

Unborn Gore
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Unborn Gore » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:17 pm

stickman wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:20 pm
The 1/4" io is still unity gain at best.. seems like a (very minor) missed opportunity..
Yeah, but the cost on this thing is already prohibitive.

If this were the final mixer in a set up, then it would matter a lot more. But since you’re already likely going into another mixer, it’s an opportunity to let the rest of your equipment shine.

Kawouddd
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:20 pm

Stice wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:31 pm
Navigating that thing with encoders sounds like a nightmare, and an express ticket to repetitive motion injury
It’s fairly fluid / easy on the Syntrx tbf. Can’t imagine this is much worse, or that six dozen assorted attenuating mini patch cables would be any less awful.

Beewo
Common Wiggler

Post by Beewo » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:01 am

Kawouddd wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:20 pm
Stice wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:31 pm
It’s fairly fluid / easy on the Syntrx tbf. Can’t imagine this is much worse, or that six dozen assorted attenuating mini patch cables would be any less awful.
Yeah I think I actually it is a bit easier that actual pins just as far as easy to keep things lined up, no fumbling around pulling out new pins to put in. I suppose it is down to taste but those clicky encoders erica uses feel very satisfying to use.

u0421793
Common Wiggler

Post by u0421793 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:03 pm

The version 2 of this product will indubitably incorporate two robot arms, to re-patch and re-twiddle the wires and pots

chiasticon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chiasticon » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:38 pm

I see it as being most useful for a system you've designed for performance and just want to change little parts of for given songs. and having to patch it back into the system every show would suck; so yeah, a module makes more sense. it's a really cool matrix though and I love it in the Syntrx. it's great that they're offering it elsewhere.

I still wish it had what I wish the Syntrx had: ability to change the active patch via midi CC.

Corrupt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Corrupt » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:51 pm

They are bringing out supplementary cards for the Easel and Synthi. With fixed ins and outs this thing will give these machines patch memory of a sort.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:09 pm

AFAIK thre´s just 3 levels of attenuation for each point, right? just like the Synthrx´s matrix

I can handle the 3 levels as "part of the concept" limitation in a certain synth, but not for all the gear that I would patch into this box.

gregtronic
Common Wiggler

Post by gregtronic » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:55 pm

This looks pretty great. Two things I wish it had: A stereo mode that groups in and out pairs so it's easier to program when using all stereo modules. The ability to invert a signal in addition to the the 3 attenuation options would be super awesome, although I kinda doubt that'd be possible to add via firmware at this point, but they could totally do the stereo thing!
WTB: Schippmann Omega-Phi MKI or MKII and Feedback Multi Dimension

TJontheRoad
Common Wiggler

Post by TJontheRoad » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:39 pm

Just ordered a Matrix Mixer. My main interest is using it for routing audio to effects and to my multi-track recording setup. Also for routing CV and gate signals from my Black Sequencer to different voices. Effectively doubling it's track capacity. I can change the Matrix presets via my Morningstar MC8 foot controller. Hopefully, this all can streamline my live jams.

TJontheRoad
Common Wiggler

Post by TJontheRoad » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:10 pm

Matrix is in today. I'm still waiting some extra cables to get it all hooked up the way I imagined. I did set it up to route audio into my Tasty Chips GR-1 via a 2x2 Scarlett USB interface. Now I can live switch to and send any audio I want to the GR-1 for live granular processing or sampling. Next, I'll set it up to route audio to my FX pedals and Per4mer modules. Also, I'll set it up to send audio to my BitBox Micro for sampling.

This thing pretty big in size. I mounted it to pedal board that is now sitting above my main rack. Looks like a good spot for it.

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:00 pm

Wondering how stacks up against ALYSEUM MATRIX II. The recall ability is nice but without the ability to name patches you'd better have a cheat sheet handy!

Unborn Gore
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Unborn Gore » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:31 pm

monads wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:00 pm
Wondering how stacks up against ALYSEUM MATRIX II. The recall ability is nice but without the ability to name patches you'd better have a cheat sheet handy!
Thanks for the heads up on the Alyseum!

Erica appears to have dropped the ball here. Even a 2 digit digital display (a la any alarm clock from the ‘80s) would have made their matrix infinitely more usable.

As it stands, you have to memorize as many presets as you can out of 256. Not a terrific look for a $600 desktop unit.

TJontheRoad
Common Wiggler

Post by TJontheRoad » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:54 am

monads wrote:
I was comparing them. The Alsyseum does have a few extra features and costs less. Alsyseum has a free computer editor, CV offset control pot, program changes via both MIDI note and PC (Erica only allows MIDI PC), and clock input. The fact it is in eurorack might be a negative considering a maximum 37 cables hangin out of it. It is also sold out right now.

I preferred the desktop form factor of the Erica and that is why I went for it. I can use it for more than just with my eurorack. Alsyseum is still interesting to me and I may also get one. I'll use the Erica for audio and the Alsyseum for CV, gate, and triggers. I inquired abut upcoming availability and was told within a few weeks.

If you use a MIDI controller and it has names for presets, I think that should be enough.

gregtronic
Common Wiggler

Post by gregtronic » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:47 pm

TJontheRoad wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:54 am
monads wrote:
If you use a MIDI controller and it has names for presets, I think that should be enough.
This.

I've been absolutely loving mine since i got it. Using with all stereo fx - Schippmann HDH-6, VDL-6 and PHS-28. An array of 4 Delay1022s for chorus/flanging. 2x Xaoc Sarajewo's, 2x intellijel Springrays and an Intellijel quad invert for inverting signals. My stereo FX rig has finally come together thanks to the matrix mixer. So quick to dial in new ideas and then super fun to scroll between presets.
WTB: Schippmann Omega-Phi MKI or MKII and Feedback Multi Dimension

Return to “General Gear”