Gotharman's Urano - modular synth, sampling groove box and Eurorack companion :)

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Gotharman's Urano - modular groove box and Eurorack companion :)

Post by gotharman » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:51 am

Fayette wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:37 am
After going through the manual again I’ve got another question. Is stereo sampling and playback of samples not going to happen or something you’re considering? I can definitely live without it, but it’s a very useful option to have, one of the things I like about the LD3.

Also, is there a way to make it spit out s-trigs? I’m curious about controlling/triggering my old ms20 with it.
No, Urano will not get stereo sampling.

It can spit out s-trigs. Just select and inverted trigger to output on a trigger output.

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:52 am

rayce wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:46 am
If anyone is on the fence on ordering one of these it looks like there is only 2 left. With chip shortages who knows if Flemming will be able to build anymore anytime soon.

Such a cool looking box. Can't wait to integrate this with the modular. I see it as the heart of a modular synth based studio.
Thank you very much! I hope that you will enjoy it.

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:53 am

flx wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:55 am
quartzite wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:40 pm
How do the LFOs differ from oscillators internally? Can they be used as oscillators? I ask because if I buy an Urano I plan to use it often as stand-alone full-track machine, and 8 oscillators seems slightly limiting.
While I don’t think that 8 VCOs is limiting on a modular synth (maybe the LD3 is a better para-/polyphonic stand-alone device for your use cases?), I do like the idea of also using the LFOs as audio oscillators :tu: I need to try that out on my anAmoNo X and see how far up into audio range they go on there. Not sure if their pitch can be made to track a keyboard input though. On the Urano I assume that patching the LFOs to audio mixers should be easy.

gotharman wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:07 pm
Wavetables
I have some ideas for additional waveform draw modes besides normal and art :mrgreen:
- “sine”: a touch draws a full sine wave on the screen, touch Y axis defines amplitude, touch X axis defines frequency
- “reset”: a touch resets the value at the touch’s X position to the middle, Y axis is ignored
- “inv”: a touch inverts the value at the touch’s X position, Y axis is ignored (or maybe Y axis scales the inversion?)
- “rnd”: a touch randomizes the whole waveform on the screen (or maybe just at the X position?). Y axis defines the strength/amount. Like the % value on the sequencer TMP screen when using the note randomizer.
- “bit”: a touch reduces the bit depth of the whole waveform on the screen. Y axis defines the amount of bit depth reduction.
Thank you very much for your suggestions. I also think that some more draw modes will be interesting. I will definitely have a look at this!

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:56 am

quartzite wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:46 am
Well, I pulled the trigger on one! I honestly don't know if I really needed it alongside all the iOS modular-y stuff I already do, but the raw digital sounds, integrated filters and patching potential of the Urano were hard to deny.

(Tip for Non-EU buyers: paypal charges a hefty fee if you let them do the currency conversion (~5% instead of the ~1% banks charge). I was able to get around this by checking out as a guest and setting the payment currency as euros.
Thank you very much for your pre-order and the Paypal tip. The fees is certainly getting higher and higher!

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:58 am

flx wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:33 am
… aaand pre-orders seem to be closed. Really happy for Flemming that there is good demand for this box apparently :yay:

DD348A49-EF92-4945-82CB-94D8EAB7179D.jpeg
Thanks a ton to you and everybody else who pre-ordered! This certainly went much faster than I could imagine. Now I am really busy sourcing more parts...

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:00 am

stikygum wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:26 am
gotharman wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:53 am
stikygum wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:24 pm
On the Urano, it seems like there is room for 16 x0x buttons, but I was wondering why the decision was made to do 8 buttons instead. That was one thing I really liked about the LD3, having 16 x0x buttons at all times for a sequence.
This is because it started its life in a Tiny LD box. And when it grew bigger, I already had all the button assignments set up, and it already worked quite well, to my opinion. And it only has 8 parts. By holding down the modules/Bar Sel button, you can pretty quickly switch between the sequencer "half bars".
Oh I see. I really like the 16 steps on my LD3. Would you be willing to do a custom Urano with 16 x0x step buttons on it? I know it would cost more, but I would be quite interested in that. I'm really big on workflow and creating 64 step sequences. I've had other pieces of gear like the Akai Force that caused me to press more buttons than were needed to do simple things and I eventually sold it because it slowed down my workflow too much. I'm not saying the 8 buttons don't work well. But for me personally, for how I like to work, 16 x0x buttons help my workflow quite a bit. I know you're sold out of the Urano now, but I would be interested in buying a Urano if/when you get more chips and you were willing to do a 16 x0x button version.
No, sorry, Urano will not be available with 16 step buttons. I am quite satisfied with it, as it is.

Couldn't you sequence Urano from your LD3?

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:03 am

nangu wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:07 am
Here’s a (possibly) more realistic idea- phase correction.

If I bounce a Urano track out to my Euro and then record the result, the Euro track will slip forward in time by the latency of Urano’s DAC, ADC, and perhaps whatever other processing happens along the way. So if I wanted to record a full-wet version of the Euro stuff and then overlay that with the original Urano sample later to get an artificial wet/dry mix, they might be smeared in time enough to cause phase issues.

Could be nice to have a ‘delete latency’ button in the sample editor that would subtract the DAC/ADC delay from the front of the sample.

Or maybe I’m just nuts, and overthinking things. That’s a distinct possibility.. :lol:

Perhaps because it’s your hardware and your code, the bounce timing is much tighter than most other stuff anyway..
The latency already is as low as it can get, so I can't really do more there.

quartzite
Learning to Wiggle

Post by quartzite » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:41 am

gotharman wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:34 am
Sure, Urano can be delivered with different filter boards, but since the standard ones are dual channel, it will have less analog filters available, with other filter boards installed.
Ok great! I'm a bit confused about the topology of the filters, specifically "VCF1 and 3 are a new very resonant feedforward filter design." What does this mean? Also, how do the standard Urano filterboards differ from the VCF10 (Dual SSI2140 Filter)? They all seem to use the SSI2140 but to different effects?
YouTube SoundCloud
For those with power dysfunction is a feature, not a bug

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:51 am

quartzite wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:41 am
gotharman wrote:
Sure, Urano can be delivered with different filter boards, but since the standard ones are dual channel, it will have less analog filters available, with other filter boards installed.
Ok great! I'm a bit confused about the topology of the filters, specifically "VCF1 and 3 are a new very resonant feedforward filter design." What does this mean? Also, how do the standard Urano filterboards differ from the VCF10 (Dual SSI2140 Filter)? They all seem to use the SSI2140 but to different effects?
If you place a dual channel filter board in filter slot 1, the 2 filters from this, will appear as VCF1 and VCF3, so therefore these 2 filters are the same type.

The VCF2 and 4 that comes with Urano as standard are a VCF10, which is modified to fit the dual channel filter system. So VCF2 is the multimode filter of VCF10, and VCF4 is the BPF of VCF10, which is changed to an LPF on the dual channel board.

quartzite
Learning to Wiggle

Post by quartzite » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:01 am

gotharman wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:51 am
quartzite wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:41 am
gotharman wrote:
If you place a dual channel filter board in filter slot 1, the 2 filters from this, will appear as VCF1 and VCF3, so therefore these 2 filters are the same type.

The VCF2 and 4 that comes with Urano as standard are a VCF10, which is modified to fit the dual channel filter system. So VCF2 is the multimode filter of VCF10, and VCF4 is the BPF of VCF10, which is changed to an LPF on the dual channel board.
Ok, does that mean the previous Gotharman "dual" filters cannot be used both at the same time like the new Urano "dual channel" filters?

What filter modes are available on feedforward VCF1/3?

I think I'll stop asking questions now, I'll understand most everything else better when I have this awesome machine infront of me :)
YouTube SoundCloud

Fayette
Common Wiggler

Post by Fayette » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:27 am

gotharman wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:51 am
Fayette wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:37 am
After going through the manual again I’ve got another question. Is stereo sampling and playback of samples not going to happen or something you’re considering? I can definitely live without it, but it’s a very useful option to have, one of the things I like about the LD3.

Also, is there a way to make it spit out s-trigs? I’m curious about controlling/triggering my old ms20 with it.
No, Urano will not get stereo sampling.

It can spit out s-trigs. Just select and inverted trigger to output on a trigger output.

Cool, thanks for answering :)

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:01 am

quartzite wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:01 am

Ok, does that mean the previous Gotharman "dual" filters cannot be used both at the same time like the new Urano "dual channel" filters?

What filter modes are available on feedforward VCF1/3?

I think I'll stop asking questions now, I'll understand most everything else better when I have this awesome machine infront of me :)
You can, with no problem, have a dual channel filter in one slot, and one of the previous filter boards in the other slot.

VCF1 and 3 are LPF only.

quartzite
Learning to Wiggle

Post by quartzite » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:12 am

Awesome :) it'd be cool to see a demo of the new resonant feedforward filters at some point.
YouTube SoundCloud

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:30 am

quartzite wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:12 am
Awesome :) it'd be cool to see a demo of the new resonant feedforward filters at some point.
Demo is here:

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stikygum » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:09 am

gotharman wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:00 am
stikygum wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:26 am
gotharman wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:53 am
stikygum wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:24 pm
On the Urano, it seems like there is room for 16 x0x buttons, but I was wondering why the decision was made to do 8 buttons instead. That was one thing I really liked about the LD3, having 16 x0x buttons at all times for a sequence.
This is because it started its life in a Tiny LD box. And when it grew bigger, I already had all the button assignments set up, and it already worked quite well, to my opinion. And it only has 8 parts. By holding down the modules/Bar Sel button, you can pretty quickly switch between the sequencer "half bars".
Oh I see. I really like the 16 steps on my LD3. Would you be willing to do a custom Urano with 16 x0x step buttons on it? I know it would cost more, but I would be quite interested in that. I'm really big on workflow and creating 64 step sequences. I've had other pieces of gear like the Akai Force that caused me to press more buttons than were needed to do simple things and I eventually sold it because it slowed down my workflow too much. I'm not saying the 8 buttons don't work well. But for me personally, for how I like to work, 16 x0x buttons help my workflow quite a bit. I know you're sold out of the Urano now, but I would be interested in buying a Urano if/when you get more chips and you were willing to do a 16 x0x button version.
No, sorry, Urano will not be available with 16 step buttons. I am quite satisfied with it, as it is.

Couldn't you sequence Urano from your LD3?
Yeah, I could do that. I just prefer to have self contained boxes. I'm the type of person that likes sequencers like the Synthstrom Deluge that has tons of x0x buttons to do really quick sequencing without having to use buttons to get to other parts of the sequence. Visually I just like using and looking at a full 16 steps. Of course the Deluge goes to another level with that.
WTB: Mungo d0, IME Kermit & Hertz Donut

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:32 am

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:59 am

gotharman wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:32 am
Is that the new reverb? Sounds great!

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:53 am

Gothar king !

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:48 am

flx wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:59 am
gotharman wrote:
Thank you very much :) It's the Roto Delay.

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:51 am

acidbob wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:53 am
Gothar king !
:party:

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stikygum » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:58 pm

gotharman wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:48 am
flx wrote:
gotharman wrote:
Ooo, that is very nice! I really like the metallicy ring that effect has.
WTB: Mungo d0, IME Kermit & Hertz Donut

RickKleffel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RickKleffel » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:35 pm

This is very impressive. Alas, I am tempted. And I know how this plays out.

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:28 am

another ABSOLUTE beast of a new noiz machine!

stellar as always Gotharman!
:party:
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:09 am

stikygum wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:58 pm
gotharman wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:48 am
flx wrote:
gotharman wrote:
Ooo, that is very nice! I really like the metallicy ring that effect has.
Personally I really love the Roto Delay. It is the effect I am using the most on all my instruments :)

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:09 am

RickKleffel wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:35 pm
This is very impressive. Alas, I am tempted. And I know how this plays out.
Thank you very much :) I hope that things will play out the right way :)

Return to “General Gear”