Gotharman's Urano - modular synth, sampling groove box and Eurorack companion :)

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Gotharman's Urano Modular Synthesizer

Post by gotharman » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:33 am

soundinett wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:00 am
Polyphony?
Currently it is not polyphonic.

I have been thinking about some sort of polyphonic trigger system, that will make it possible to play the 8 parts polyphonic, but I have not yet had time to look into this, so if it will be, it will be in a later update...

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Gotharman's Urano - new modular synth in a box!

Post by flx » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:10 pm

gotharman wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:30 am
Oh, and I just realized, that the thread I started has been moved :hihi:
Thanks a ton for creating this thread!
Haha :hihi: I felt that we needed a place to speculate wildly after you startet posting teaser videos on YouTube.

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Gotharman's ??? - a new synth approaches

Post by stikygum » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:48 pm

flx wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:52 am

I like the more colorful user interface :)
That's one of the reasons I enjoy the Gotharman's Fuzion. It reminds me of playing a video game while creating sounds. :mrgreen:
WTB: Mungo d0, IME Kermit & Hertz Donut

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Gotharman's Urano - modular groove box and Eurorack companion :)

Post by stikygum » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:54 pm

This looks great Flemming! I like the screen - I was wondering if the screen is as big as the Fuzion?

Also curious if the name Urano is meant to be the spanish/italian word for Uranus.

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stikygum » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:06 pm

Also was curious if the 4 analog filters are interchangeable with any of the Gotharman's filter boards.

Fayette
Common Wiggler

Post by Fayette » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:48 am

Great work as always, Flemming. I’m very impressed..

I’ve just read the manual, and I was wondering if controlling/advancing the sequencers with other sequencers or Lfo’s etc is possible?
Using a sequencer or lfo to step through another sequencer would be super cool considering it outputs midi.
A Modular midi gotharman hardware sequencer :cloud:
Last edited by Fayette on Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:55 am

stikygum wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:06 pm
Also was curious if the 4 analog filters are interchangeable with any of the Gotharman's filter boards.
Yes, on the website it says that there are two regular filter board connectors in the Urano (like in the LD3 I guess) and that they are compatible with the whole lineup of filter boards :)

meska
Veteran Wiggler

Post by meska » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:19 am

gotharman wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:33 am
soundinett wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:00 am
Polyphony?
Currently it is not polyphonic.

I have been thinking about some sort of polyphonic trigger system, that will make it possible to play the 8 parts polyphonic, but I have not yet had time to look into this, so if it will be, it will be in a later update...

Emilie gillet do somthing like that on the midipal , for chaining mono synth and use them polyphonic

I ws thinking about that 2day ago for trying the ld3 fully polyphonie, 8voice, 1 voice by bus (one filter per voice ect)
tremblap wrote: In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.
www.meska.fr
https://www.youtube.com/c/Meska_Statik
https://statikwave.bandcamp.com/

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:23 am

meska wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:19 am

Emilie gillet do somthing like that on the midipal , for chaining mono synth and use them polyphonic

I ws thinking about that 2day ago for trying the ld3 fully polyphonie, 8voice, 1 voice by bus (one filter per voice ect)
Ah yes, I remember the midipal :) The Linnstrument (and probably any other MPE controller) can also send one note per channel and there is the software POLYMER which distributes notes across channels/synths as well.

EDIT: And I think the Blokas MIDIhub hardware can do this as well.

EDIT 2: Found a video demo for exactly that:

Fayette
Common Wiggler

Post by Fayette » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:47 am

Would be amazing to have logic modules in the urano. There’s quite the potential to set up generative sequencing systems in this thing, and a few logic modules and some multiplexers and switches and the ability to trigger sequencers with other sequencers would make me smile. But I’d be happy either way, this thing already looks like a lovely machine. Let’s see what we can convince Flemming to develop for the Urano :)

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:01 am

Fayette wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:47 am
Would be amazing to have logic modules in the urano. There’s quite the potential to set up generative sequencing systems in this thing,
Keep in mind that’s it also a modular synth companion. So it should be easy to incorporate logic and other tools from Eurorack for example via the patch points.

Looking at the “History” page on the Urano website it reads that the idea was to have the device next to a modular and to sample and interact with that universe. That’s really powerful and I’m looking forward to explore that bridge between those universes eventually :)
Last edited by flx on Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ushijima
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Ushijima » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:46 am

That one looks and sounds amazing from the demos. It will make a wonderful addition to expand anyone with a Modular system.
The amount of modulations and effects on it is huge and make it worth the price tbh.

Is it possible to load in your own wavetables banks?

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:27 am

Fayette wrote:
Would be amazing to have logic modules in the urano.
What just popped into my head was that there are those Ring VCAs, which were also in the anAmoNo X. There you have two inputs: signal and modulator. So the signal is modulated via the amplitude of the modulator. This can of course be used for ring modulation audio effects, but it is not constrained to audio applications. Even in the anAmoNo X you could already use those VCAs to combine modulation signals. By combining two square LFOs this way, you could create AND logic for example, so a high signal when both LFOs are high.

With the Urano’s mixer modules you could possibly also create OR logic by combining up to four LFOs. With signal inversion and more creative patching one can most probably go even further :)

Ushijima wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:46 am
If they’re WAV files then it should be possible I’d say, because the wavetables seem to be stored among regular samples :) So you can also probably even edit and draw your wavetables on the Urano and export them easily via USB.
Last edited by flx on Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:56 am

Exiannyc wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:50 am
Welcome Back from your holidays Flemming!!! We're delighted that you had some time to relax!!!

I think you work harder on your holidays than I do when I'm at work.
Thank you very much!

The two things I enjoy most, is to design new instruments, and to play music, so I did not feel like I worked on my holidays :hihi:

And it was way too hot in Serbia to go anywhere in the daytime, so I am actually really happy that I brought Urano, so that I had something to do in front of the aircondition.

Work for me is to write the manuals, and that I did not do in my holidays :)

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:57 am

revtor wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:33 pm
This guy never sleeps!!!
Absolutely not. That's a waste of time :hihi:

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:59 am

Fayette wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:42 am
Haha Flemming you’re such a wizard. Curious to learn more about this machine. Will it play samples? Are there room for filter boards?
Thank you very much :)

It does play back samples, and there are room for two filter boards. It comes with 2 dual line filter boards pre-installed.

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:01 am

flx wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:10 pm
gotharman wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:30 am
Oh, and I just realized, that the thread I started has been moved :hihi:
Thanks a ton for creating this thread!
Haha :hihi: I felt that we needed a place to speculate wildly after you startet posting teaser videos on YouTube.
That was such a great idea :hihi: I really enjoy reading.

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:05 am

stikygum wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:54 pm
This looks great Flemming! I like the screen - I was wondering if the screen is as big as the Fuzion?

Also curious if the name Urano is meant to be the spanish/italian word for Uranus.
Thank you very much! Yes, the screen is 4.3" like Fuzion.

Actually I named it Uranuz at first, but a friend told me, that this word could be pronounced in a pretty bad way, so it was changed :) I didn't actually check, if it meant anything :)

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:43 am

Fayette wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:48 am
Great work as always, Flemming. I’m very impressed..

I’ve just read the manual, and I was wondering if controlling/advancing the sequencers with other sequencers or Lfo’s etc is possible?
Using a sequencer or lfo to step through another sequencer would be super cool considering it outputs midi.
A Modular midi gotharman hardware sequencer :cloud:
Thank you very much!

It is possible to clock the sequencer from a trigger input minijack, and it is also possible to output an LFO to a trigger output minijack, so connecting the 2 minijack with a patch cable, would do this. Currently it is not possible to make this connection internally, but I will have a look at it...

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:46 am

flx wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:23 am
meska wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:19 am

Ah yes, I remember the midipal :) The Linnstrument (and probably any other MPE controller) can also send one note per channel and there is the software POLYMER which distributes notes across channels/synths as well.

EDIT: And I think the Blokas MIDIhub hardware can do this as well.

EDIT 2: Found a video demo for exactly that:
This is also possible on Fuzion and PolySpaze, so it should not be that hard to implement. I have just had so many other things to work on with the new thing, and since I only ever play chords, when I show off in my videos, this has not had a high priority :)

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:49 am

Ushijima wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:46 am
That one looks and sounds amazing from the demos. It will make a wonderful addition to expand anyone with a Modular system.
The amount of modulations and effects on it is huge and make it worth the price tbh.

Thank you very much!

Yes, it loads the, more or less, standard 32KB wavetables with 64 waves as wav files, that can be found here and there on the internet.

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:50 am

flx wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:27 am
Fayette wrote:
Would be amazing to have logic modules in the urano.
What just popped into my head was that there are those Ring VCAs, which were also in the anAmoNo X. There you have two inputs: signal and modulator. So the signal is modulated via the amplitude of the modulator. This can of course be used for ring modulation audio effects, but it is not constrained to audio applications. Even in the anAmoNo X you could already use those VCAs to combine modulation signals. By combining two square LFOs this way, you could create AND logic for example, so a high signal when both LFOs are high.

With the Urano’s mixer modules you could possibly also create OR logic by combining up to four LFOs. With signal inversion and more creative patching one can most probably go even further :)
Sounds like a great idea. Thanks for sharing! Must try!

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:02 am

gotharman wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:43 am
… connecting the 2 minijack with a patch cable …
I hadn’t even thought of that. Real patching of a virtual modular synth. Nice :tu: I’m now of course imagining all kinds of fun stuff, like a DIY light sensor that sits between a static CV output (to get 5V) and a CV input, that can be used for expressive patch modulation.

And that reminds me of a fun way to utilize the USB stick port :D What I’ve done with my TinyLD and LD3 is to use the USB port to power another 5V gadget, like an audio recorder, a MIDI keyboard or a small USB-powered noise maker. I might have even charged my phone with the LD3 :oops:

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:45 am

flx wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:02 am
gotharman wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:43 am
… connecting the 2 minijack with a patch cable …
I hadn’t even thought of that. Real patching of a virtual modular synth. Nice :tu: I’m now of course imagining all kinds of fun stuff, like a DIY light sensor that sits between a static CV output (to get 5V) and a CV input, that can be used for expressive patch modulation.

And that reminds me of a fun way to utilize the USB stick port :D What I’ve done with my TinyLD and LD3 is to use the USB port to power another 5V gadget, like an audio recorder, a MIDI keyboard or a small USB-powered noise maker. I might have even charged my phone with the LD3 :oops:
"Real patching of a virtual instrument" sounds cool!

I have an M-audio Midisport 2x2 anniversary edition connected to the USB port of my LD3, to get 2 MIDI ins and outs :)

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:08 pm

The analog filters

Return to “General Gear”