Gotharman's Urano - modular synth, sampling groove box and Eurorack companion :)

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Gotharman's Urano - modular groove box and Eurorack companion :)

Post by flx » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:44 pm

Second impressions after an hour on the couch:

- I seem to be able to get more bottom end/bass with an all-digital percussion oscillator kick drum than I’m used to. Maybe just a coincidence or new-gear-excitement? Either way, it sounds great!
- It appears to be a lot easier to do gain staging without clipping signals early. Maybe the volume ranges were tweaked?
- The new (and modulatable!) repeats/ratcheting feature of the sequencer is super cool!
- Has the potentiometer smoothing been tweaked? It seems easier to dial in smaller value changes, by turning the pots very slowly.
- The part overview screen (with the many small module rectangles) works really well to get an overview of the modules that are used in a part and to quickly insert other modules into the signal chain.
- Navigation in general works well too with the function and module buttons and the touch screen.
- The Urano runs with my Harley Benton Powerplant 9V Power Bank :party:
- The big 16:9 screen is awesome. UI elements are bigger and menus have their page selection buttons on the right side, which is very convenient.

meska
Veteran Wiggler

Post by meska » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:29 pm

flx wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:44 pm

- It appears to be a lot easier to do gain staging without clipping signals early. Maybe the volume ranges were tweaked?
on the LD3 (i assum it can be the same on other Gotharman gears) the level of the VCA when you start a new preset is at 256 this is juste beford cliping the waveforme.
when you make sound you alway whant to rise the volume of somthing and if it's the internal oscilatore it will clip instantly.
(same for filter at inpute 256 they allready add some crunch to the sound)

The LD3 have ton off headroom before clipping, but the initial state of all the gainstage is juste beford clipping. (if you use sample it will depend of the sample signal OFC^^)
i have juste make a empty preset with all the level at 128 (flter and VCA) and -128 for al the bus and i copy it for empty starte .
it's wayyyyyyyyy more easy to cotrole cliping and distortion ;) and make volume mixing without clipping everythings or need to lower all volume ect
tremblap wrote: In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.
www.meska.fr
https://www.youtube.com/c/Meska_Statik
https://statikwave.bandcamp.com/

Net
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Net » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:04 pm

Congrats Felix! I received a much-anticipated email myself this evening and, if lucky, will have one of my own before me by the weekend. Keep the impressions coming! I'm so excited.

And thanks Meska for your remarks on gain staging with the LD3! I might try that preset trick myself.

meska
Veteran Wiggler

Post by meska » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:22 am

Net wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:04 pm

And thanks Meska for your remarks on gain staging with the LD3! I might try that preset trick myself.
i can share it if needed ;)
In practice, there is.
www.meska.fr

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:08 am

flx wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:44 pm
Second impressions after an hour on the couch:

- I seem to be able to get more bottom end/bass with an all-digital percussion oscillator kick drum than I’m used to. Maybe just a coincidence or new-gear-excitement? Either way, it sounds great!
- The new (and modulatable!) repeats/ratcheting feature of the sequencer is super cool!
- Has the potentiometer smoothing been tweaked? It seems easier to dial in smaller value changes, by turning the pots very slowly.
- The part overview screen (with the many small module rectangles) works really well to get an overview of the modules that are used in a part and to quickly insert other modules into the signal chain.
- Navigation in general works well too with the function and module buttons and the touch screen.
- The Urano runs with my Harley Benton Powerplant 9V Power Bank :party:
- The big 16:9 screen is awesome. UI elements are bigger and menus have their page selection buttons on the right side, which is very convenient.
Great to hear that you are already enjoying your new Urano. Thanks a ton for your feedback.

-The gain staging has been completely redesigned, compared to LD3. This was necessary, in order to make all module inputs and outputs compatible with each other.

-The potentiometer smoothing was indeed also redesigned. Great observation :yay: And great that you find it easier to use. I will see, if I can teach my other instruments to do the same.

-The digital filters were also tweaked. I always tweak the filters, when I make a new design, so that they don't sound exactly the same :) This might explain the extra bass, even though I have not noticed this.

-And really great to hear, that it runs on the Harley Benton. It also runs nicely on the XTpower I got, but the Harley looks like it is a bit smaller, and easier to carry. I think that I will get one of these.

Hope that you will keep enjoying your new instrument.

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:41 am

Since Meska talked about sharing presets, here's a "cleared" Urano preset I made for myself yesterday, which provides a starting point with nothing connected at all, so you start patching from scratch.

:guinness:
A20.URP.zip
:guinness:
(unzip and import into your Urano via USB)

I find it easier to start with this clear preset, because I will remember everything I did with it and there won't be any pre-made connections I don't know about :)

Just had a quick lunch break jam again and it's a fabulous machine! I really like the overall sound and the interface works so well. I'm already feeling quite at home with patching on the overview screen and using the "place module after ..." command too.

EDIT:
Quick third impressions after the lunch break earlier:
- The SAMPLE + and - buttons in the oscillator menu are super convenient to quickly switch through samples without having to go into the sample list! I never thought about needing that, but now that it’s there I’m using it all the time, just to quickly see how my patch would sound with another sample.
- The newly designed sequencer MAIN screen felt a bit weird at first, but it turned out to be very useful with all those preset buttons! Another convenient feature that uses the big screen.
- Typing preset names on that big screen is awesome too now! Haven’t touched any wrong letters so far.
- The single bus for all signal types is totally cool of course :hihi: Starting to really appreciate it with small stuff too, like using trigger/gate signals from sequencer tracks to create rhythmic parameter modulation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by flx on Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:52 pm

quartzite
Learning to Wiggle

Post by quartzite » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:07 pm

I'm super pumped to get mine, should be here Friday!

Where are folks grabbing wavetables? 32kb 64-frame ones seem like a lesser common format, though I haven't had to source any myself before.
YouTube SoundCloud
For those with power dysfunction is a feature, not a bug

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:52 pm

quartzite wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:07 pm
Where are folks grabbing wavetables? 32kb 64-frame ones seem like a lesser common format, though I haven't had to source any myself before.
Here is a huge repository:
https://waveeditonline.com/index.html

Haven’t tried it yet, but want to do so with the Urano.

WaveEdit is the according software tool:
https://synthtech.com/waveedit/

Not sure what it can export, but there appears to be an option to at least export individual single cycle WAVs, which could then easily be assembled into a wavetable on the Urano from the USB thumb drive import menu, I suppose.

EDIT:
Just checked the WaveEdit manual and it appears that WaveEdit lets you export 256 sample WAVs with 64 waves in them, which (according to the QuBit Chord’s manual) results in a 32kb file :sb:

quartzite
Learning to Wiggle

Post by quartzite » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:07 pm

flx wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:52 pm
Awesome, all of this is very helpful, much thanks!
YouTube SoundCloud

rayce
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayce » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:44 pm

Ok I haven't had a huge amount of time with this yet but I'm already in love with this box :love:

The new matrix for connecting modulation sources and modules is SOOO much better than the set via knob method. Really feels like I'm patching up a modular synth. Fun and fast. Great job. Would be nice to have on the LD3 as well.

I'm really enjoying the overall sound and feel of it. When I first unboxed it I though it might be a bit big but its a nice size for sitting on a lap and tooling about. Plus Bigger Screen :yay:

The filters are awesome both digital and analog. Lots of flavors to choose from. At some point I will try swapping in some of the other filterboards but for now having 4 analog filters is :sb: .

Also very easy to integrate with the modular synths. :tu:

Fantastic job. Will keep messing around and figuring it out.

Also flx thanks for posting the blank canvas starting point. Ive been finding that useful for getting things going.

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:32 am

Here's a very first tryout jam session :party:

The Urano sequences the Waldorf nw1 Eurorack wavetable VCO and the vcf1 analog filter module and mixes their audio together with the internal sounds. The drums are royalty free samples I downloaded onto the Urano. The filter pings are all four of the Urano's analog filters, excited by random generator signals patched into the audio inputs (yay for the single signal bus :tu: ). The rest is based on internal Urano digital module patching. You can hear the randomized repeats/ratcheting feature in the hi-hats and the bass line by the way.

Another cool thing on the Urano is that you can use the normal part sequencers to play external gear with a 1V/Oct CV signal :goo: That isn't possible on the LD3, where you need to use Controller Tracks for 1V/Oct CV output.

EDIT:
quartzite wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:07 pm
flx wrote:
Just tried out a bunch of those wavetables and they work in the Urano :) Just import them like any other WAV sample and load them into the wavetable oscillator/editor :yay:

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:26 am

flx wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:41 am
Since Meska talked about sharing presets, here's a "cleared" Urano preset I made for myself yesterday, which provides a starting point with nothing connected at all, so you start patching from scratch.

:guinness: A20.URP.zip :guinness:
(unzip and import into your Urano via USB)

I find it easier to start with this clear preset, because I will remember everything I did with it and there won't be any pre-made connections I don't know about :)

Just had a quick lunch break jam again and it's a fabulous machine! I really like the overall sound and the interface works so well. I'm already feeling quite at home with patching on the overview screen and using the "place module after ..." command too.

EDIT:
Quick third impressions after the lunch break earlier:
- The SAMPLE + and - buttons in the oscillator menu are super convenient to quickly switch through samples without having to go into the sample list! I never thought about needing that, but now that it’s there I’m using it all the time, just to quickly see how my patch would sound with another sample.
- The newly designed sequencer MAIN screen felt a bit weird at first, but it turned out to be very useful with all those preset buttons! Another convenient feature that uses the big screen.
- Typing preset names on that big screen is awesome too now! Haven’t touched any wrong letters so far.
- The single bus for all signal types is totally cool of course :hihi: Starting to really appreciate it with small stuff too, like using trigger/gate signals from sequencer tracks to create rhythmic parameter modulation.
Thanks so much for all your feedback. I really appreciate it.

And thanks a ton for taking your time, to make a completely empty preset. This is indeed usable!

Really great that you are still enjoying to explore your new instrument.

I really appreciate the easy way to set the last step for each track on SpazeDrum. I soon realized, that Urano did not have these extra buttons, so I had to figure something else out, to make it fast to set the last step, since I am changing this a lot. So I designed the new Sequencer Main page. In case you haven't figured this out yet, the first last step value can be adjusted by Edit Knob 1. The new last step will then not be effective, until you touch this field.

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:28 am

flx wrote:
quartzite wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:07 pm

Haven’t tried it yet, but want to do so with the Urano.

WaveEdit is the according software tool:
https://synthtech.com/waveedit/

Not sure what it can export, but there appears to be an option to at least export individual single cycle WAVs, which could then easily be assembled into a wavetable on the Urano from the USB thumb drive import menu, I suppose.

EDIT:
Just checked the WaveEdit manual and it appears that WaveEdit lets you export 256 sample WAVs with 64 waves in them, which (according to the QuBit Chord’s manual) results in a 32kb file :sb:
I used WaveEdit when I designed the wavetable oscillators, so these wavetables are 100% compatible.

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:29 am

rayce wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:44 pm
Ok I haven't had a huge amount of time with this yet but I'm already in love with this box :love:

The new matrix for connecting modulation sources and modules is SOOO much better than the set via knob method. Really feels like I'm patching up a modular synth. Fun and fast. Great job. Would be nice to have on the LD3 as well.

I'm really enjoying the overall sound and feel of it. When I first unboxed it I though it might be a bit big but its a nice size for sitting on a lap and tooling about. Plus Bigger Screen :yay:

The filters are awesome both digital and analog. Lots of flavors to choose from. At some point I will try swapping in some of the other filterboards but for now having 4 analog filters is :sb: .

Also very easy to integrate with the modular synths. :tu:

Fantastic job. Will keep messing around and figuring it out.

Also flx thanks for posting the blank canvas starting point. Ive been finding that useful for getting things going.
Thanks so much for your feedback.

Really great to hear, that you already love your new instrument. Thank you very much!

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:30 am

flx wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:32 am
Here's a very first tryout jam session :party:

The Urano sequences the Waldorf nw1 Eurorack wavetable VCO and the vcf1 analog filter module and mixes their audio together with the internal sounds. The drums are royalty free samples I downloaded onto the Urano. The filter pings are all four of the Urano's analog filters, excited by random generator signals patched into the audio inputs (yay for the single signal bus :tu: ). The rest is based on internal Urano digital module patching. You can hear the randomized repeats/ratcheting feature in the hi-hats and the bass line by the way.

Another cool thing on the Urano is that you can use the normal part sequencers to play external gear with a 1V/Oct CV signal :goo: That isn't possible on the LD3, where you need to use Controller Tracks for 1V/Oct CV output.

EDIT:
quartzite wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:07 pm
flx wrote:
Just tried out a bunch of those wavetables and they work in the Urano :) Just import them like any other WAV sample and load them into the wavetable oscillator/editor :yay:
Really cool jam! Thanks so much for making and sharing!

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:46 am

gotharman wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:26 am
The new last step will then not be effective, until you touch this field.
Yes, I find this especially cool because this extra touch turns the Main screen into a performance screen because it lets you “sync” the changes to the music.

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:50 am

flx wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:46 am
gotharman wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:26 am
The new last step will then not be effective, until you touch this field.
Yes, I find this especially cool because this extra touch turns the Main screen into a performance screen because it lets you “sync” the changes to the music.
That is the exact idea with it.

quartzite
Learning to Wiggle

Post by quartzite » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:17 pm

My Urano came in the mail today! Its as amazing as I was hoping. I'm still learning my away around it but its very usable for complex it can be and the sounds it makes are insane.

A few questions:
- What are these mod sources: ymod, bend, osq1/2
- What does the freeze button do?
- I don’t understand how to set bpm. I see it listed on the part sequencer config page, but its not clickable there. I think I'm failing to find the page its on.
- I don't understand what's going on with this copy page at all. What are layers? What is "Morph Set". I'd love to understand how to copy Morph and non-morph between each other. Also if there is a way to copy the "intermediate" state of the morph and assign it to one of the ends.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
YouTube SoundCloud

meska
Veteran Wiggler

Post by meska » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:46 am

quartzite wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:17 pm
My Urano came in the mail today! Its as amazing as I was hoping. I'm still learning my away around it but its very usable for complex it can be and the sounds it makes are insane.

A few questions:
- What are these mod sources: ymod, bend, osq1/2
- What does the freeze button do?
- I don’t understand how to set bpm. I see it listed on the part sequencer config page, but its not clickable there. I think I'm failing to find the page its on.
- I don't understand what's going on with this copy page at all. What are layers? What is "Morph Set". I'd love to understand how to copy Morph and non-morph between each other. Also if there is a way to copy the "intermediate" state of the morph and assign it to one of the ends.

Thanks!
Based on My knoledge on the LD3 :

Ymod is the Yaxys of the touchscreen
Bend i thinck it's pitch bend ;)

Freez, freez the buffer of the FX ( look at insert FX the have a freez parameter, the button is a shorcute
Master BPM is in generale or master sequenceur parameter or somthing like that ?
The copy page ^^, it make me time to understande it too but in fatc it's realy easy once you have the logic:

Layer are the layer of you'r preset (layer A OR B) you can alternate to them with the morph knob. (and edit the B lmayer with the morph set button (on the LD3)

when you copy somthing it ask you if you whant copy layer A o B or both .
You whantt to copy the intermediat morh knob position, hit moprh ;)
In practice, there is.
www.meska.fr

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:13 am

quartzite wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:17 pm
- I don’t understand how to set bpm.
On the sequencer main screen (the one you were on) just turn edit knob 4 :)

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:48 am

Here’s an ambient music morning jam session with just the Urano by itself. Have a great weekend, everyone!

quartzite
Learning to Wiggle

Post by quartzite » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:01 pm

Thanks @meska and @flx, these answers are really helpful!

I realized with copy, it was doing nothing because I wasn't using paste :P . Late night confusions for sure :)
YouTube SoundCloud

quartzite
Learning to Wiggle

Post by quartzite » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:50 pm

One more question for y'all: how do you assign a module to a part? I know how to connect modules to to each other and to an output, but as far as I understand it, I need them assigned to the part so quick edit knobs work for performance reasons.

From reading the quick manual, I see "If the selected module is not included in the currently selected part, the text will be white instead of yellow" (referring to the modules overview page) but I couldn't figure out where I can select the "part" a module is in.

Edit: I think I may be completely off-base about how parts even work. In the end I want to understand what decides what the "quick edit knobs" apply to.
YouTube SoundCloud

Net
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Net » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:10 pm

quartzite wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:50 pm
how do you assign a module to a part?
Hold Steps/Part and press the button corresponding to the part (1-8) you wish to select. If you are in the EFX menu and open part 5, you'll be in the EFX5 edit menu.

I have found no way so far to make the edit knobs apply to the currently selected part; they seem stuck on part 1 unless individually overridden, LD3-style, by setting 'Knb1' etc as modulation sources.

The default quick-edit knob parameters - wave, PW, cut, reso, LFO rate, EFX mix, R and level - are extremely handy! I wasn't expecting anything different from those of LD3, but this new selection works very well.

This machine is blowing my mind really. Coming from LD3 I'm finding it intuitive and familiar, but there's an entire new layer of interaction now that the internal structure of the synth is modular. It demands more work and it's a bit easier to get lost at first. I've been patching only with the 'manual' method so far, will try the overview method later. I am so happy with the thing. Its potential is vast!

Return to “General Gear”