Clock timing and Behringer clones

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Analog Prophet
Common Wiggler

Clock timing and Behringer clones

Post by Analog Prophet » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:43 am

I like what I hear soundwise with the classic drum machine clones by Behringer. But what about the clock timing compared to the originals, do they have that sublime irregularities that makes the character of the original models?
The best beat of any music
is the beat of your own heart

http://www.analogprophet.com

revtor
Dialing it in..

Re: Clock timing and Behringer clones

Post by revtor » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:20 am

Any sublime irregularities present in the original instruments (if they do exist) will most likely not be there because the processors and code driving the circuitry are different.
I’m sure the beh variants have timing irregularities of their own to explore and exploit though!
Fellow North Jersey Synthaholic
—WTB Erica Drum Modulator—

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:56 am

if you consider sync issues charming than yes.
TOO FAR GONE

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:08 pm

all kidding aside though, i have the RD-8 and the RD-6 and they both sound great. im not sure if the originals have their own grooves or not but i was always under the impression that those grooves were only really noticeable when said machine was also the master clock.

i know certain sample based machines have their own permanent drum grooves because the sample start times themselves aren’t actually precise (i.e. Casio RZ-1, Kawai R-100). the early midi specs of the 707 are kinda wretched and seem to give it that boxed in feel as well.
TOO FAR GONE

SingIt
Common Wiggler

Post by SingIt » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:30 pm

Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:08 pm
all kidding aside though, i have the RD-8 and the RD-6 and they both sound great. im not sure if the originals have their own grooves or not but i was always under the impression that those grooves were only really noticeable when said machine was also the master clock.

i know certain sample based machines have their own permanent drum grooves because the sample start times themselves aren’t actually precise (i.e. Casio RZ-1, Kawai R-100). the early midi specs of the 707 are kinda wretched and seem to give it that boxed in feel as well.
If you swing the RD8 and send audio sync out from that, does it also swing the device syncing to it like the TR8S does?

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:26 pm

SingIt wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:30 pm

If you swing the RD8 and send audio sync out from that, does it also swing the device syncing to it like the TR8S does?
i never use swing
TOO FAR GONE

daveholiday
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:27 pm

Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:26 pm

i never use swing
I never used any type of groove quantize, swing, shuffle......etc up until a couple years ago. I said "what the hell" and picked up a FR Swynx. I do some down-tempo stuff, and swinging a track or two in a composition gives a tremendous "feel" to a song. In one instance I kept the drums rigid and "swung" the bassline, made all the difference in the world. In another track with a more subdued bass track I chose the "swing" the drum track slightly....It was awesome.....gave it lots of feel!!

I am of the impression it is a good (great) thing when used in the right place, but can destroy the initial feel of a track if over used. I also think swing might also be more effective in a certain BPM range. Probably, very much defined by the genre of music.
It is all shits and giggles,

until somebody giggles and shits.

Stuff for sale: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=248930&p=3532378#p3532378

SingIt
Common Wiggler

Post by SingIt » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:47 pm

I love swing but I make House music…so yeah..lol.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:04 pm

daveholiday wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:27 pm
i never use swing
I never used any type of groove quantize, swing, shuffle......etc up until a couple years ago. I said "what the hell" and picked up a FR Swynx. I do some down-tempo stuff, and swinging a track or two in a composition gives a tremendous "feel" to a song. In one instance I kept the drums rigid and "swung" the bassline, made all the difference in the world. In another track with a more subdued bass track I chose the "swing" the drum track slightly....It was awesome.....gave it lots of feel!!

I am of the impression it is a good (great) thing when used in the right place, but can destroy the initial feel of a track if over used. I also think swing might also be more effective in a certain BPM range. Probably, very much defined by the genre of music.
something i’ll definitely consider moving forward perhaps
TOO FAR GONE

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:06 pm

SingIt wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:30 pm

i never use swing
Get in the groove bro! :p
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

daveholiday
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:37 am

Analog Prophet wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:43 am
I like what I hear soundwise with the classic drum machine clones by Behringer. But what about the clock timing compared to the originals, do they have that sublime irregularities that makes the character of the original models?
So I have both the RD-8 and RD-9 and I haven't seen (heard) any odd behavior when using as a master or slave via MIDI clock.

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:21 am

daveholiday wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:37 am
Analog Prophet wrote:
So I have both the RD-8 and RD-9 and I haven't seen (heard) any odd behavior when using as a master or slave via MIDI clock.
One question, did you mean RD-9? If so, have you put it through the wringer yet and posted your impressions around here anywhere?

daveholiday
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:14 am

Kattefjaes wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:21 am
daveholiday wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:37 am
Analog Prophet wrote:
One question, did you mean RD-9? If so, have you put it through the wringer yet and posted your impressions around here anywhere?
Not much to say about the RD-9. Looks, sounds, and tastes like a 909. It has been ages (20 years) since I last played with an actual TR-909, but it makes all the right noises!

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:47 am

daveholiday wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:14 am

Not much to say about the RD-9. Looks, sounds, and tastes like a 909. It has been ages (20 years) since I last played with an actual TR-909, but it makes all the right noises!
That's a pretty good start... so none of the weird timing fuckups that the RD-8 launched with, no other obvious gotchas? I suppose it's a bit soon to hope that they've fixed the pitch error on the hats in "authentic" mode yet?

I mean, I am still going to feel dirty owning one, but you do what you must.
Last edited by Kattefjaes on Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mikeyg3k
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mikeyg3k » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:50 am

Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:04 pm
daveholiday wrote:
i never use swing

Also jazz I think was influenced highly from the house music definition

visitor1976
1-Post Wiggler

new to this....

Post by visitor1976 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:50 pm

I'm new, but straight addicted. I just got the erica synths drum sequencer to use with my BIA, Sample, and squid sampler among other modules. I got myself the beringer go rack but I started with a much smaller rack. I just dont even know where to begin. I love eurorack.... I dont really n
know where to begin with all my questions. I want to mix samplers with analog to create drum and glitchy stuff.

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:13 pm

Mikeyg3k wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:50 am
daveholiday wrote:
i never use swing

Other way around! Swing Music from the 1930s has a groove on it like you wouldn’t believe.

My minds an art gallery.

kons
Veteran Wiggler

Re: new to this....

Post by kons » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:23 pm

visitor1976 wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:50 pm
I'm new, but straight addicted. I just got the erica synths drum sequencer to use with my BIA, Sample, and squid sampler among other modules. I got myself the beringer go rack but I started with a much smaller rack. I just dont even know where to begin. I love eurorack.... I dont really n
know where to begin with all my questions. I want to mix samplers with analog to create drum and glitchy stuff.
Hey there welcome to the money burning party.
Well this is general gear... so maybe go post a thread in 'eurorack' asking about suggestions for making glitchy drums...

Mikeyg3k
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mikeyg3k » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:21 pm

3hands wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:13 pm
Mikeyg3k wrote:
daveholiday wrote:
i never use swing

Other way around! Swing Music from the 1930s has a groove on it like you wouldn’t believe.
RIGHT. Not disagreeing but that style was most certainly influenced by house music. Have you ever heard of Mood II Swing? It’s practically in their name.

helix
Ultra Wiggler

Post by helix » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:59 am

jazz was influenced by house music?

Artomas
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Artomas » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:40 am

In the 1930s, jazz was house music. Jazz clubs were the discos of the era, where people got loaded and danced. House music back then was called "swing" - it had to swing. Nowadays, people say dance music can't swing, and people think of jazz as chin stroking music. The problem, as usual, is the people, not the music or the gear. All the Behringer clones are just as tight as all the Django clones. You should use control voltage, in either case.

kons
Veteran Wiggler

Post by kons » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:28 pm

helix wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:59 am
jazz was influenced by house music?
Yess and rock music was made in caves because that is where the stones were.

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:20 pm

Mikeyg3k wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:21 pm
3hands wrote:
Mikeyg3k wrote:
daveholiday wrote:
i never use swing

RIGHT. Not disagreeing but that style was most certainly influenced by house music. Have you ever heard of Mood II Swing? It’s practically in their name.
Um… no.

My minds an art gallery.

helix
Ultra Wiggler

Post by helix » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:35 am

Artomas wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:40 am
In the 1930s, jazz was house music. Jazz clubs were the discos of the era, where people got loaded and danced. House music back then was called "swing" - it had to swing. Nowadays, people say dance music can't swing, and people think of jazz as chin stroking music. The problem, as usual, is the people, not the music or the gear. All the Behringer clones are just as tight as all the Django clones. You should use control voltage, in either case.
I like the idea i really do... but thats to say that people only dance to house music. There's so many styles of dance music, some of which that didn't evolve from house music. Like drum n bass for example. It's like saying ballroom music was house music. :despair: :guinness:

SingIt
Common Wiggler

Post by SingIt » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:36 pm

Mikeyg3k wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:21 pm
3hands wrote:
Mikeyg3k wrote:
daveholiday wrote:
i never use swing

Is this a joke?

Return to “General Gear”