adding more ADAT channels

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

wahee
Common Wiggler

adding more ADAT channels

Post by wahee » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:20 am

hi all
I currently have a RME Digi face 32 input ADAT to USB interface. I use all the channels due to having too many vintage synths and would like a further 8 ADAT channels. IS there a way to add these to my existing setup or do I need to get a bigger interface. I know it 'can' be possible to add another audio interface in a DAW with a bit of messing but I would rather have everything running straight without bodges

thanks
Crystalline Stricture now on
tonnrecordings.com

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: adding more ADAT channels

Post by e-grad » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:32 am

I have acquired a 2nd Hand MOTU 2408 mk3 recently. If you do not connect the 2408 to a PC it turns into a stand alone interface. I connected mine via ADAT to my RME Fireface UC and it worked like charm!

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:36 am

patchbays
TOO FAR GONE

andybizarre
Veteran Wiggler

Post by andybizarre » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:07 am

AFAIK a single RME driver can address multiple interfaces, at least with the Hammerfall cards. You need to provide sample sync and will have to deal with multiple Totalmix windows, but your DAW sees a single interface, no crappy aggregate device. Maybe ask in the RME forum. In that case I would add a second Digiface.

Or, as Rainbow said, consider patchbays. You can prioritize certain connections over less used ones using normalisation and thus minimise patching.

wahee
Common Wiggler

Post by wahee » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:54 am

e-grad wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:32 am
I have acquired a 2nd Hand MOTU 2408 mk3 recently. If you do not connect the 2408 to a PC it turns into a stand alone interface. I connected mine via ADAT to my RME Fireface UC and it worked like charm!
ahh ok thanks,

I am thinking of
get one of these:

https://reverb.com/uk/item/35098119-mot ... pQQAvD_BwE

attach instead of one of my 8 ch Behringer ADATS and lots more channels?! 8-)
I wasn't too sure if the RME would just see 8 channels and ignore the rest
Last edited by wahee on Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
tonnrecordings.com

wahee
Common Wiggler

Post by wahee » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:57 am

andybizarre wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:07 am
AFAIK a single RME driver can address multiple interfaces, at least with the Hammerfall cards. You need to provide sample sync and will have to deal with multiple Totalmix windows, but your DAW sees a single interface, no crappy aggregate device. Maybe ask in the RME forum. In that case I would add a second Digiface.

Or, as Rainbow said, consider patchbays. You can prioritize certain connections over less used ones using normalisation and thus minimise patching.
thanks very much, that's very interesting. A 2ndDigiface would be a good option if it works and if my DAW sees it as a single device, just more channels, that would be perfect
tonnrecordings.com

flipper16
Veteran Wiggler

Post by flipper16 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:04 pm

Multiple RME interfaces from the RME Forum...https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=29344

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:42 pm

wahee wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:54 am

I am thinking of
get one of these:

That might work out fine as well. I opted for the mkiii bcs of this tech note.

If the interface does not go into a stand alone mode you will have to load its original software for the routing. Something I wanted to avoid. The 2408 mkiii has shown up in total mix without any further software and routing outside Total Mix.

The RME forum as suggest by another Wiggler is very helpful, too.

wahee
Common Wiggler

Post by wahee » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:39 pm

e-grad wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:42 pm
wahee wrote:

I am thinking of
get one of these:

If the interface does not go into a stand alone mode you will have to load its original software for the routing. Something I wanted to avoid. The 2408 mkiii has shown up in total mix without any further software and routing outside Total Mix.

yes my Behringer showed up in total mix and the DAW as just more ADAT channels, so was hoping the 2408 would be the same. I saw the tech notes, thanks for that.

I thought this bit was interesting and may bode well for the older model:
The MOTU 2408mk3 audio interface automatically switches into a standalone converter mode when it is disconnected from the PCI-424 card or when the computer is turned off. (This also applies to the earlier models, the original 2408 and the 2408mkII.)

can you just all 24 channels on your interface?
tonnrecordings.com

wahee
Common Wiggler

Post by wahee » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:40 pm

flipper16 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:04 pm
Multiple RME interfaces from the RME Forum...https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=29344
thanks I'll check this out, I have also posted a specific question on the RME forum about 2x digiface's at once so hopefully someone can confirm. This may be the best way to go with it all.
tonnrecordings.com

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:46 pm

wahee wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:39 pm
No. My Fireface has only 1 ADAT in and one ADAT this is why I restricted to 4 extra ins and 4 more outs at 92kHz. This is from memory. I am no techhead thus I have to recommend you to download the manual to make sure you get what you want. Or a more knowledgeable forum member might chime in.

wahee
Common Wiggler

Post by wahee » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:37 pm

e-grad wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:46 pm
wahee wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:39 pm
No. My Fireface has only 1 ADAT in and one ADAT this is why I restricted to 4 extra ins and 4 more outs at 92kHz. This is from memory. I am no techhead thus I have to recommend you to download the manual to make sure you get what you want. Or a more knowledgeable forum member might chime in.
well I decided to order another digiface. Apparently I can run up to 3 of them with each having 32 channels. I can use cheapo Behringer ultragains or a MOTU to expand the analogue front end. The DAW should see the extra digiface, at least that's the theory.
Thanks for your help
tonnrecordings.com

abruzzi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by abruzzi » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:18 pm

If you use a MOTU 2408 as a 8 channel audio to ADAT converter, look for the Mk2 or later. The Mk1 you listed above has RCA inputs, but the Mk2 or later have 1/4". I don't know anything about the digiface, but whenever you are using an outboard A/D converter, the converter device need its clock synced with the device you're sending the digital to. So make sure to get a BNC word-clock cable.

wahee
Common Wiggler

Post by wahee » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:14 am

abruzzi wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:18 pm
If you use a MOTU 2408 as a 8 channel audio to ADAT converter, look for the Mk2 or later. The Mk1 you listed above has RCA inputs, but the Mk2 or later have 1/4". I don't know anything about the digiface, but whenever you are using an outboard A/D converter, the converter device need its clock synced with the device you're sending the digital to. So make sure to get a BNC word-clock cable.
hi yes the MKII does seem a better job as it can be set to standalone more easily it seems. The digiface can lock with the Behringer ADA8200 with just optical cables so hopefully the MOTU may be the same, if not I can work clock it to my Focusrite
tonnrecordings.com

wahee
Common Wiggler

Post by wahee » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:41 am

just as an update. I got a 2nd RME digiface. It syncs up ok and the totalmix FX see it and the channels are see in my DAW. The showstopper is that there is no audio. At least not out of the main monitors. I can get audio from the 2nd unit headphones but no way to combine the audio so it all comes out of the main monitors. Rather frustrating
tonnrecordings.com

nostalghia
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nostalghia » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:15 pm

wahee wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:41 am
just as an update. I got a 2nd RME digiface. It syncs up ok and the totalmix FX see it and the channels are see in my DAW. The showstopper is that there is no audio. At least not out of the main monitors. I can get audio from the 2nd unit headphones but no way to combine the audio so it all comes out of the main monitors. Rather frustrating
Which DAW are you using? On PC (Windows) or Mac?
“If you look for a meaning, you'll miss everything that happens.” - Andrei Tarkovsky
https://soundcloud.com/nostalghia70s

wahee
Common Wiggler

Post by wahee » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:53 pm

Cubase but the audio is not appearing outside of the DAW as well. I think it's to do with the way the two devices are connected and the fact that there are 2 windows devices, one for each RME. I think there should be only one, so I am experimenting at the moment to fix it all. Will post up an update when I get somewhere. I have a MOTU 828 which I will use as an ADAT front end.
tonnrecordings.com

nostalghia
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nostalghia » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:43 pm

I use multiple audio interfaces (Focusrite Clarett, Audient & Behringer ADA8200) in Cubase, but I’m on Mac and have them set up as an aggregate audio device using the audio/midi utility that’s built into the Mac OS. I then can create separate output busses for the Focusrite and Audient in Cubase, and select either as an output for monitoring per input/track. All inputs on all 3 interfaces are also available to use once I have them set up as mono or stereo input busses.

As I understand it, to use multiple interfaces on Windows, you need to use an app like ASIO4ALL (there may be alternatives, I’ve used Windows in the past, but not for audio). If you’re already using this, then I think you need to focus on the audio interfaces and output busses setup in Cubase. You might search for related key words on the Steinberg forums, or just ask for help and suggestions.

Link to some more info: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... or-Windows
“If you look for a meaning, you'll miss everything that happens.” - Andrei Tarkovsky
https://soundcloud.com/nostalghia70s

wahee
Common Wiggler

Post by wahee » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:04 am

nostalghia wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:43 pm
I use multiple audio interfaces (Focusrite Clarett, Audient & Behringer ADA8200) in Cubase, but I’m on Mac and have them set up as an aggregate audio device using the audio/midi utility that’s built into the Mac OS. I then can create separate output busses for the Focusrite and Audient in Cubase, and select either as an output for monitoring per input/track. All inputs on all 3 interfaces are also available to use once I have them set up as mono or stereo input busses.

As I understand it, to use multiple interfaces on Windows, you need to use an app like ASIO4ALL (there may be alternatives, I’ve used Windows in the past, but not for audio). If you’re already using this, then I think you need to focus on the audio interfaces and output busses setup in Cubase. You might search for related key words on the Steinberg forums, or just ask for help and suggestions.

Link to some more info: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... or-Windows
yes I think the MAC has definite advantages in this department. I also discovered my Cubase elements 9 is limited to 24 I/O's although this isn't the issue as I can get all of them if I turn some others off. But good excuse to upgrade to Pro 8-)

The RME driver should be able to handle 3 instances of hardware on the PC. I managed to make some progress yesterday. This may be of help to others.

Essential breaking one of the ADAT front ends into two and moving them across the 2x RME's.
  • 2x RME's connected with USB to host PC, separate USB ports
    The first 2 ADAT's are locked with wordclock.
    One Windows WDM device set up (speakers) on DIGIFACE 1 only
    RME 2 set up to sync on 'input1'
I have yet to try my 2nd hand MOTU 828 as I haven't got it yet but I hope it will just plug into the 2nd RME and work like a charm.

Some images:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RME setup:

physical RME's:
tonnrecordings.com

andybizarre
Veteran Wiggler

Post by andybizarre » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:56 am

Oh, you daisy chained your wordclock setup. There might be issues - clicks and crackles even if your system runs idle. I would recommend to switch to a star topography - i.e. set your maxed out Digiface to clock master (clock source "internal") and all other ADAT devices to slave (clock/sync source "ADAT", "optical" or whatever it`s called).

wahee
Common Wiggler

Post by wahee » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:53 am

andybizarre wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:56 am
Oh, you daisy chained your wordclock setup. There might be issues - clicks and crackles even if your system runs idle. I would recommend to switch to a star topography - i.e. set your maxed out Digiface to clock master (clock source "internal") and all other ADAT devices to slave (clock/sync source "ADAT", "optical" or whatever it`s called).

Ah right ok. I will check that out. I didn't really mess with the syncing as it has always just worked but your suggestion seems more sensible
tonnrecordings.com

syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:59 pm

I have the RME UFX and recently added the Clarett Octopre from Focusrite and I use a patchbay. Works flawlessly and I can add another eventually.
It's been a long time since someone wrote a really good book in jail.

https://www.instagram.com/instrumentsofflight/

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:42 pm

e-grad wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:42 pm
wahee wrote:

I am thinking of
get one of these:

I can’t get my 2408 to be recognized by my computer!! I plug the PCI card into the computer, connect the rack and nothing… is there anything you can share that may be helpful!? My poor old Echo Gina is on her last legs! She owes me nothing, and would love to get this 2408 up and going with my MOTU 8Pre!

Thanks so much in advance!
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

Return to “General Gear”