Worth trading a Juno 106 for a Jupiter xm?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

ObsoleteModular
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Worth trading a Juno 106 for a Jupiter xm?

Post by ObsoleteModular » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:03 am

Thing about the Juno is, whilst nobody ever said it wasn't a lovely synth, they weren't really coveted as they are now until some of its siblings became unobtanium.

Same with the TR707, a truly pointless thing to own. Nobody gave a rat's arse about it until the rest of the TR series went ballistic.

I mean ffs, there's a Jen SX1000 currently on Reverb for £899. Ahahahahahahahahahah. It's laughable.

For reference I've been watching the vintage gear market since I bought a Roland SH101 for £90 in 1994. He wanted £100 for it but the battery cover was missing.

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:35 am

indigoid wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:13 am
DigitalNativeDunce wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:48 pm
You could get that Softube 106 emulation that just came out if you sold the Juno and then want to scratch the old itch - sounds dead on!
I'm sure the various emulations are right on, but I think this is mostly missing the point of the 106. As other folks have said above. It's a very tactile and direct instrument. Fader-per-function. That's why I've kept mine

I've also noticed that in pretty much all Instagram "this is my studio" posts**, even when the proper rocketships like Jupiter 8, CS-80, OB-X, etc are visible, there's pretty much always a Juno somewhere too.

** by people who actually make music rather than collect instruments and post on forums :miley:

I think, in 2021 the point of the 106, is that no one can find a Jupiter for under 6 k and it’s a sort of “this will do” synth. If people had a choice between a JP8 and a 106, you may find that a lot of the 106 owners who love it, throw it to the curb in favour of a more desirable polysynth.

YMMV.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

nuromantix
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nuromantix » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:05 am

You can have a Jupiter and still use a Juno. They are pretty different. I have MKS80 & Juno 6 and there isn't much similarity.

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:26 pm

nuromantix wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:05 am
You can have a Jupiter and still use a Juno. They are pretty different. I have MKS80 & Juno 6 and there isn't much similarity.
I’ve had the 60 twice, and a ton of 106s, and now having a Jupiter, I find that they were trying to get to the JP6/jp8 on a budget and it got its own unique sound. To me the 106 is a polyphonic 101, but not as good.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

mnchrme
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mnchrme » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:49 pm

No. You can sub to Roland Cloud if you want that ACB sound.

jabberwalky
Common Wiggler

Post by jabberwalky » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:31 am

Good point mnchrme. I'd even go as far to say the Sh01a in 4-note polyhony mode can get damn close, and has more sound design features.
https://www.youtube.com/c/FortressofSound/videos - NEW "The History of The Cat synthesizer | with exclusive creator interview | Performances | & slime!"

mnchrme
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mnchrme » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:36 am

Yeah well, I am not a huge fan of all that ACB/DCB stuff although I am quite enjoying TR-8 and D-50 (Roland Cloud version). If you run a TR-8 or D-50 through some funky A/D / D/A or analog filters you can get extra magic. I don't see a point going for a boutique though if besides minor differences in some of the plugins on Roland Cloud vs. botique there is virtually none in the ACB/DCB "code". The only difference for certain models then breaks down to the point that you are either getting a hardware chassis with DSP inside or you host it on your computer and play it by either a random sequencer or maybe an external keyboard. As for synths I never fell in love with the sound of a Juno-106 but it is a capable synth in its own right which has a good sound. I can get lost for ages programming or playing with Juno-6/60, JX3P though. They are very simple synths but they hit a sweet spot really well... there are so many good sounds you can get out of them and if you account in the other elements like other studio equipment, signal path, non-linearities, and variables then interfacing that with other things creates an interesting output with charm and character. I believe that will be the case with the 106 as well. Trading that for the newest bell and whistles DSP emulation can be tempting but if you love the synth and can find a use for it then think about the fact you might not be able to get it in the nearby future again. These new productions on the other hand... will be around for quite some time for sure even via second-hand deals.

SkyWriter
Ultra Wiggler

Post by SkyWriter » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:55 am

ObsoleteModular wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:03 am
Thing about the Juno is, whilst nobody ever said it wasn't a lovely synth, they weren't really coveted as they are now until some of its siblings became unobtanium.
People I know bought the 106 because it was one of the inexpensive 5 octave analog keyboards at the time. I remember keyboard players shopping 106's with DX7 & 9, Emulator I around it on the floor. I was not impressed with it at the time - but I played guitar then too :0)
say it with NROFF.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:29 am

sell it, then save a little more and buy a Super-6
or if you want vintage I think the JX-3P is a much better synth... add the kiwi upgrade and the midi controller you preffer and you have a killer poly

mnchrme
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mnchrme » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:51 am

anselmi wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:29 am
sell it, then save a little more and buy a Super-6
or if you want vintage I think the JX-3P is a much better synth... add the kiwi upgrade and the midi controller you preffer and you have a killer poly
JX3P is beast.

Return to “General Gear”