Sampler for Drums

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

HenryBurlingame
Wiggling with Experience

Sampler for Drums

Post by HenryBurlingame » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:17 am

I have been working on my drums a lot lately and I am having to run each one through my single external compressor, eq, reverb, delay, etc. as necessary (I don't do much in the box so all of this is out of the box).

I can't run the whole drum buss through the same effect chain since all of the settings are different for each drum. I could record a single drum track and then multitrack over and over but, um, that's a lot of work and syncing everything is a pain...

So I was thinking about getting a sampler to record each of my finished drum sounds and them use it to play all the drums on the entire drum bus. Is there anything better for this than a digitakt? I have a squarp pyramid, so don't necessarily need it to be a great sequencer...

nodog
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Sampler for Drums

Post by nodog » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:16 am

Interesting, I'm looking for the same sort of thing. An outboard sampler for specifically drums.

I've got the Pioneer Toiraz which I like but it's more suited for loops.

That new SP1200 clone from ISLA looks interesting but is really expensive and I'm wondering if it also isn't more suited for loops.

I'm a bit wary of Elektron boxes. I mostly don't like their UI and there's also something about their sound that doesn't seem to suit me. (By the way, the Toiraz does sound really good to me)

Maybe an old racksampler with upgraded-USB/SDcard-instead-of-floppydisks is the way to go?

talfred
Wiggling with Experience

Post by talfred » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:47 am

No firsthand experienc her, but what about Ensoniq ASR-X or ASR-X pro?
I've heard they are good at drums..

seychmar
Common Wiggler

Post by seychmar » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:56 am

It takes a fair bit of space but I’m very happy with my Roland MV8000. Sampler, MIDI sequencer, recorder and much more, all in one.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:06 am

If you just need a sampling box for one shots and loops I'd bring in a Yamaha SU200 (I like everything about that machine), if you want some thing more and modern there is a Roland SP-404, MPC One or yeah, Digitakt or Octatrack. Akai have a ton of older rack samplers and a SU700 is also an option and cheap. SP-2400 looks nice too.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:13 am

nodog wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:16 am
I'm a bit wary of Elektron boxes. I mostly don't like their UI and there's also something about their sound that doesn't seem to suit me. (By the way, the Toiraz does sound really good to me)
i think elektrons sampling engines are pretty discreet and some of their boxes are sampler players, not actual samplers so any disagreement with sound comes down to user error.
TOO FAR GONE

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:16 am

HenryBurlingame wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:17 am
I have been working on my drums a lot lately and I am having to run each one through my single external compressor, eq, reverb, delay, etc. as necessary (I don't do much in the box so all of this is out of the box).

I can't run the whole drum buss through the same effect chain since all of the settings are different for each drum. I could record a single drum track and then multitrack over and over but, um, that's a lot of work and syncing everything is a pain...

So I was thinking about getting a sampler to record each of my finished drum sounds and them use it to play all the drums on the entire drum bus. Is there anything better for this than a digitakt? I have a squarp pyramid, so don't necessarily need it to be a great sequencer...
are you talking about machine drums or actual physical drums? either way a studio mixer with decent send & return capabilities should do the trick.

but if you are heading down the sampling engine route you have tons of options. the roland SP series is fool proof imo or something from the latest akai line.
TOO FAR GONE

nodog
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nodog » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:30 am

Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:13 am
any disagreement with sound comes down to user error.
Jeez dude, that's not nice to say about someone you don't know who has an opinion about sound and very clearly stated it was his opinion. I've used a ton of samplers and they all sounded different.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:23 am

nodog wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:30 am
Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:13 am
any disagreement with sound comes down to user error.
Jeez dude, that's not nice to say about someone you don't know who has an opinion about sound and very clearly stated it was his opinion. I've used a ton of samplers and they all sounded different.
pump the brakes on the moral policing. i never said it was their error.
TOO FAR GONE

jabberwalky
Common Wiggler

Post by jabberwalky » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:21 am

I still love the old Korg Electribe sampler, but it does not have individual outs, which...I think is what you are looking for? Need more info on what you're actually doing in your workflow.
https://www.youtube.com/c/FortressofSound/videos - NEW "The History of The Cat synthesizer | with exclusive creator interview | Performances | & slime!"

ATW
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ATW » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:38 am

jabberwalky wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:21 am
I still love the old Korg Electribe sampler, but it does not have individual outs, which...I think is what you are looking for? Need more info on what you're actually doing in your workflow.
I love the ES-1, too. Easy to adjust each drum channel, but yes only one stereo output of the whole mix. And 33.1khz sample rate 🤣

The Digitakt is like the modern version of the ES-1 in many ways. The sound is clean and forgiving, neutral but not flat. You could add timbral flavor with a bit of external processing, in addition to the fairly straightforward onboard FX/overdrive etc. Just running the main output through a Kaoss pad got some nice crispy drums, as well as processing a piano sample sequence through Beads.
ᴍᴏᴅᴜʟᴀʀ ɢʀɪᴅ ⟡ 9U 168 + Palette + Pod ⟡ ᴍᴜsɪᴄ ATW on SoundCloud

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:17 am

I got an MPC2000 for just this purpose last year, and I have to say, I love it to death. Easy to use, and sounds incredible. You DNA probably find them around 700 dollars these days, which IMO is totally worth it!
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

HenryBurlingame
Wiggling with Experience

Post by HenryBurlingame » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:45 am

Thanks for all the recommendations so far everyone! A lot of vintage stuff mentioned... I was hoping that I could find something modern and still easily available for sale, but if the vintage stuff is really better I might consider it, the old akai rack samplers are looking quite nice!
Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:16 am
are you talking about machine drums or actual physical drums? either way a studio mixer with decent send & return capabilities should do the trick.
All synthesized drums. But I only have one reverb unit, one compressor, etc. So for example if I want one compressor setting for the kick and a different one for the snare no mixer will save me...
Last edited by HenryBurlingame on Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:04 am

HenryBurlingame wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:45 am
Thanks for all the recommendations so far everyone! A lot of vintage stuff mentioned... I was hoping that I could find something modern and still easily available for sale, but if the vintage stuff is really better I might consider it.
Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:16 am
All synthesized drums. But I only have one reverb unit, one compressor, etc. So for example if I want one compressor setting for the kick and a different one for the snare no mixer will save me...
is working in the box totally out of the question?
TOO FAR GONE

HenryBurlingame
Wiggling with Experience

Post by HenryBurlingame » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:06 am

Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:04 am
is working in the box totally out of the question?
I would like to try to do out of the box. If I wanted to work itb I would have to buy another computer anyway and I would rather spend that money on a sampler :-).

Dymaxion
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dymaxion » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:12 am

You might look at the Blackbox, too.

Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Illwiggle » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:17 am

The older Akais are pretty straitforward easy to use: mpc1000, the 2000, the 2000xl.... Can vouch for the Ensoniq stuff, sound quality is top notch. But I know a lotta folks who Love the Roland SP-404... on top of a powerful fx engine its also small & portable.

HenryBurlingame
Wiggling with Experience

Post by HenryBurlingame » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:16 pm

Any opinions on the akai s5000?

stk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stk » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:25 pm

MPC 1000 / 2500 / 5000. Immediate, hands-on control, reasonably modern storage medium.
Not a *lot* of sample mangling potential, but for pure capture/sequencing/playback a lot more fun/hands-on/immediate than using the computer.

(((EMP)))
Common Wiggler

Post by (((EMP))) » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:02 pm

MPC

There’s many models. But I would go with the new ones. MPC X, Live, One.

Plenty of tracks. Plenty polyphony. Plenty sample RAM. Easy storage. As of OS 2.8 multitimbral midi. And many many many other features.

(((EMP)))
Common Wiggler

Post by (((EMP))) » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:05 pm

HenryBurlingame wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:16 pm
Any opinions on the akai s5000?
I’ve had one (and just about every other Akai rack sampler ever made). Cool sampler. Easy to navigate, but given the new offerings I’d go MPC. If you’re hellbent on the s5000, I think the Z4/Z8 are a better bet.

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:05 pm

stk wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:25 pm
MPC 1000 / 2500 / 5000. Immediate, hands-on control, reasonably modern storage medium.
Not a *lot* of sample mangling potential, but for pure capture/sequencing/playback a lot more fun/hands-on/immediate than using the computer.

It’s a blast to go out of something like an S612 or MS20 and into the MPC. Adds a lot of cool warmth and you can really mess with it through the MS20.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

HenryBurlingame
Wiggling with Experience

Post by HenryBurlingame » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:11 am

Thanks again everyone, I ended up finding an OK deal on an akai s6000 so I got that. I like that I can put it in a rack and then just pull the faceplate out to use it. Wish I would have bought one a couple of years ago when they were basically giving them away though, seems prices are on the rise for most of the older samplers, e-mu, roland, akai, etc.

stk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stk » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:26 am

HenryBurlingame wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:11 am
Thanks again everyone, I ended up finding an OK deal on an akai s6000 so I got that.
Nice. 6k is a flagship, even with inflated covid/hipster prices it probably cost some order of magnitude less than it's original list price, adjusted.

What will you sequence it with?

HenryBurlingame
Wiggling with Experience

Post by HenryBurlingame » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:48 am

stk wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:26 am
HenryBurlingame wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:11 am
Thanks again everyone, I ended up finding an OK deal on an akai s6000 so I got that.
Nice. 6k is a flagship, even with inflated covid/hipster prices it probably cost some order of magnitude less than it's original list price, adjusted.

What will you sequence it with?
Yes, and at least the hardware samplers are still in working condition unlike cassette decks where a broken nakamichi will still cost you an arm and a leg!

I am planning on sequencing with a squarp pyramid.

Return to “General Gear”