Migrating to Apple silicon - issues, solutions, trouble-shooting

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.
frijitz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Migrating to Apple silicon - issues, solutions, trouble-shooting

Post by frijitz »

jsleeio wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:28 pm
frijitz wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:18 pm Apple does have a multiport adapter for USB-C but has features I do not need.
I've been through three of that specific adapter so far. The connector seems to wear out. They lasted about a year each, I believe
Wow, thanks for that! If you use it with a phone or tablet, you would probably be doing a lot of plugging/unplugging.

Ian
jsleeio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jsleeio »

elaborating: I kept buying them because

(a) the alternatives all had a lot more features than I need and cost more and were physically larger. I don't use SD cards, USB storage of any kind, Yubikeys, a USB mouse/keyboard, or in fact pretty much any USB devices of any type at all; all I wanted was to connect an external display and charge my laptop (2018 12" macbook — only one USB port!) at the same time

(b) I figured the alternatives weren't guaranteed to last much longer

(c) some of the alternatives I'd previously used were well-documented trash that caused a lot of trouble. Some of the Satechi products, for example. And still had more cost/size/features than I wanted
Zap him again! ZAP THE SONOFABITCH AGAIN!
commoner
Wiggling with Experience

Post by commoner »

These work, been using them for a couple years.

-cynic is the word used by one who wishes to believe that a realist is wrong
frijitz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by frijitz »

jsleeio wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:50 pm elaborating: I kept buying them because

(a) the alternatives all had a lot more features than I need and cost more and were physically larger. I don't use SD cards, USB storage of any kind, Yubikeys, a USB mouse/keyboard, or in fact pretty much any USB devices of any type at all; all I wanted was to connect an external display and charge my laptop (2018 12" macbook — only one USB port!) at the same time

(b) I figured the alternatives weren't guaranteed to last much longer

(c) some of the alternatives I'd previously used were well-documented trash that caused a lot of trouble. Some of the Satechi products, for example. And still had more cost/size/features than I wanted
Great info, thanks again!

Ian
frijitz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by frijitz »

commoner wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:14 pm These work, been using them for a couple years.

Can you charge through them?
commoner
Wiggling with Experience

Post by commoner »

frijitz wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:54 pm
commoner wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:14 pm These work, been using them for a couple years.

I can’t think of any scenario in my usage where I would need this in a charge chain for the usb-c end, so I have no idea. You can definitely power usb devices through it, though.
frijitz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by frijitz »

commoner wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:12 pm
frijitz wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:54 pm

I can’t think of any scenario in my usage where I would need this in a charge chain for the usb-c end, so I have no idea. You can definitely power usb devices through it, though.
Once again, this is for iPhone/iPad, which have to be charged through the only available port.
commoner
Wiggling with Experience

Post by commoner »

frijitz wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:44 pm Once again, this is for iPhone/iPad, which have to be charged through the only available port.
I’m aware - I use both.
frijitz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by frijitz »

commoner wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:23 am
frijitz wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:44 pm Once again, this is for iPhone/iPad, which have to be charged through the only available port.
I’m aware - I use both.
Well, then, how do you charge them during data transfer? Sorry, you have me totally confused.
commoner
Wiggling with Experience

Post by commoner »

frijitz wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:00 am
I’m aware - I use both.
Well, then, how do you charge them during data transfer? Sorry, you have me totally confused.
I’m never in a situation where that connection would warrant an apple camera adapter. For data + charge, the other end would almost always be usb-c or usb-a. I would have to have or buy a usb-a to usb-a, or a usb-a to usb-c to warrant also using the “camera adapter”. I would simply use either a usb-c to usb-c cable, or a usb-c to usb-a cable without any adapter. If suggesting the camera adapter type is way off the mark, then so was I - I offered it as an alternative to the more expensive apple one I saw being linked. Apologies if it’s not useful.
frijitz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by frijitz »

commoner wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:43 am
frijitz wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:00 am
I’m aware - I use both.
I’m never in a situation where that connection would warrant an apple camera adapter. For data + charge, the other end would almost always be usb-c or usb-a. I would have to have or buy a usb-a to usb-a, or a usb-a to usb-c to warrant also using the “camera adapter”. I would simply use either a usb-c to usb-c cable, or a usb-c to usb-a cable without any adapter. If suggesting the camera adapter type is way off the mark, then so was I - I offered it as an alternative to the more expensive apple one I saw being linked. Apologies if it’s not useful.
OK, thanks.
Whatisvalis
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Whatisvalis »

What’s the consensus right now on the M1 v M2 MacBook Air? Is 16gb / 512 the sweet spot?
jsleeio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jsleeio »

Whatisvalis wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:56 pm What’s the consensus right now on the M1 v M2 MacBook Air? Is 16gb / 512 the sweet spot?
don't know about sweet spots but I've read that storage performance is significantly better with the 512GB+ models

I'm still very happy with my 24GB/1TB M2 MacBook Air (personal) and 16GB/256GB M1 MacBook Air (work). I chose the 24GB model for my personal usage as I've found 16GB a little annoying at times, but none of that was related to audio stuff

A lot of folks at my work have the current MacBook Pros and they certainly seem like chonky bois compared to the equivalent models from the preceding few years. We overwhelmingly work remotely, so not so much concern for portability, but it might be deal-breaker for some
SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SynthBaron »

I almost bought a Macbook Pro M2 13" a few weeks ago during the sales, but decided to buy a $660 Windows OLED 14.5" 20-core i7-12700H laptop instead.

Somehow Asus can both afford to put an OLED screen, Thunderbolt 4, and an i7 chip in this and meet that price point...but Apple can't be bothered to put an OLED screen and save lots of money using their own silicon in something that is almost three times the price when configured the same (24GB RAM/512 SSD).

Sorry Apple, but you really spoil people with nice screens in your phones and then expect them to go back to using an LCD screen for the cash you want them to shell out? Yikes. Once you go true black, you can't go back...
SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SynthBaron »

Blairio wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:15 pm
SynthBaron wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:28 pm
jsleeio wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:02 am aren't there magsafe-clone adapter cables where you have a very thin-profile plug (ie. unlikely to be damaged in the manner you describe because it doesn't stick out very far at all) in the usb-c port and a cable that attaches to it with magnets?

I'm sure I've seen these around
Huh, didn't know those were a thing. They would be great for USB C phone charging too. Hmm, even good enough ratings to say they are reliable enough. Will have to try one out. Thanks!
Yup, I have a couple of these. 6 GBP each.
These things work great, BTW.
tdel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tdel »

SynthBaron wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:45 pm I almost bought a Macbook Pro M2 13" a few weeks ago during the sales, but decided to buy a $660 Windows OLED 14.5" 20-core i7-12700H laptop instead.

Somehow Asus can both afford to put an OLED screen, Thunderbolt 4, and an i7 chip in this and meet that price point...but Apple can't be bothered to put an OLED screen and save lots of money using their own silicon in something that is almost three times the price when configured the same (24GB RAM/512 SSD).

Sorry Apple, but you really spoil people with nice screens in your phones and then expect them to go back to using an LCD screen for the cash you want them to shell out? Yikes. Once you go true black, you can't go back...
What's the model you bought? Might be interested in one of those myself.
SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SynthBaron »

tdel wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:49 am
SynthBaron wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:45 pm I almost bought a Macbook Pro M2 13" a few weeks ago during the sales, but decided to buy a $660 Windows OLED 14.5" 20-core i7-12700H laptop instead.

What's the model you bought? Might be interested in one of those myself.
https://www.newegg.com/midnight-black-a ... 6834236330

Then I added this (its a tiny T5 bit to get the bottom cover screws off https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/S ... el=S5402ZA):

Code: Select all

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C511GQH
jsleeio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jsleeio »

So we're more than two years down the road from first general availability of the M1 Macs, and Autodesk still don't have a native ARM version of Eagle. This has really pissed me off.

I've been an Eagle user for 10+ years and have written software that reads and writes Eagle board files — for generating Eurorack 1U and 3U front panels. Have decided to switch to Kicad and will have to do a new version of my software for it :-( It'll be very unpleasant but worth it in the long term

Autodesk can die in a fire.
SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SynthBaron »

New 14 and 16 inch Macbook Pro's with M2 chips released, but still not OLED displays. Still don't understand why they're holding back on them.
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

SynthBaron wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:11 pm New 14 and 16 inch Macbook Pro's with M2 chips released, but still not OLED displays. Still don't understand why they're holding back on them.
I thought on larger screens mini-LED is better than OLED and doesn't degrade.
SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SynthBaron »

dubonaire wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:59 pm
SynthBaron wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:11 pm New 14 and 16 inch Macbook Pro's with M2 chips released, but still not OLED displays. Still don't understand why they're holding back on them.
If it was so bad I had to replace a screen every 2 years, the color and dynamic range is worth it for me...and I'm not even a graphics artist. I've seen the mini-LED backlit screens on the previous generation MBP 14/16 M1's in person and they still fall short of even cheap OLED's now. The first generations of OLED screens I did definitely experience degradation with, but ones I've been using since 2018 have been holding up great.
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

SynthBaron wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:33 am
dubonaire wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:59 pm
If it was so bad I had to replace a screen every 2 years, the color and dynamic range is worth it for me...and I'm not even a graphics artist. I've seen the mini-LED backlit screens on the previous generation MBP 14/16 M1's in person and they still fall short of even cheap OLED's now. The first generations of OLED screens I did definitely experience degradation with, but ones I've been using since 2018 have been holding up great.
Well I can't argue about because it's only what I've read, I've never made a direct comparison, but I do know miniled can turn off the black pixels and achieve greater brightness.

We've been looking at getting a ridiculously sized TV (not absolutely ridiculous) and the minileds seem pretty good to me.
charlie2
Learning to Wiggle

Post by charlie2 »

I want to upgrade from my quad core i5 iMac but find myself a little lost. I've been moving more in the box and am looking for something that can handle a decent amount of VSTs, UAD plugins, etc. It doesn't seem that the silicon world is optimized for that quite yet. Is this impression of mine wrong? But that doesn't leave me with many options in the Mac world. At this point, I'm considering getting a spec'd out cylinder since you can find them for pretty cheap these days. But that seems backwards and support for those might drop off soon enough. Any suggestions?
Dilibob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dilibob »

I still do most my music stuff on a trashcan Mac Pro I upgraded - it was super cheap. I do have a m1 ultra and max but find a ton of music apps won't run native still, also m1/m2 messes up running plugins on the intel converters. I do have a very limited cubase setup running on my m1 portable, but it's not as powerful as my maxed out old trashcan since the m1 running cubase is in intel mode because of plugins.
charlie2
Learning to Wiggle

Post by charlie2 »

Good to hear. Lots of "pros" seem to still use it too, so I guess it's not such a bad idea after all. I can always get a silicon mini down the road when prices are cheaper and software has caught up.

Return to “General Gear”