Anyway, obviously I spoke too soon and it wasn't stable at all passing audio live through a DAW (Reaper and Live). Argh...mOBiTh wrote: ↑Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:20 pm I had a some fun getting my Antelope Orion 32 HD working with my mac studio ultra today.
The latest launcher installation was fine and it immediately recognised the orion still connected to my old studio mac (via network sniffery).
The driver installation on the other hand was a disaster.
The first time you have to install something on your modern apple silicon mac that requires reduced security, you have to jump through some reboot/BIOS type hoops. That's not a problem, but for some reason this caused very intermittent connectivity to the interface and if I tried to select the Orion in AudioMIDI setup (macos utility) I got a nice bright magenta kernel panic every time. Not good.
So I uninstalled and reinstalled and found then it just didn't see the interface at all. Tried different USB ports, etc.
After uninstalling and reinstalling about 15 times it just suddenly worked perfectly for no obvious reason and has been stable ever since.
The only thing I think I did differently was doing double reboots after each uninstall and reinstall step, which doesn't seem that meaningful.
It's more likely the Orion driver is flakey about USB port aliasing (because it was on my old mac) - it was always pot luck whether I got it to work on the currently connected USB port...
I tried setting up a new account and starting a bit cleaner but that didn't help.
Changed USB3 cables - nope.
I noticed it did behave overall better on 48k compared to the other sample rates, which made me think it might be a hardware issue. Swapping sample rates caused all sorts of temporary weirdness.
I had already done a few factory resets of the Orion but tried hitting a few presets and then redid the routings - hey presto it's stable.
Haven't used it in anger yet but will keep updating here in case it helps someone else. Seems a factory reset isn't quite as complete as you would hope...