Migrating to Apple silicon - issues, solutions, trouble-shooting

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.
bphenix
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Migrating to Apple silicon - issues, solutions, trouble-shooting

Post by bphenix »

sigh. messed it up again.
jsleeio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jsleeio »

bphenix wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:43 pm There is also a side conversation about data-durability and whether that should be opt-in vs opt-out but that largely breaks down to whether your biases are shaped by working with production systems, transactional databases or systems that support them on a regular basis and how deep those scars are.
I was going to say "who would opt-in to losing/corrupting their data" and then I remembered that RAID-5 exists and people insisted on using it despite the fatal flaws being very well documented

yes, my biases are shaped by production systems, including being an Oracle DBA for a while
Zap him again! ZAP THE SONOFABITCH AGAIN!
bphenix
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bphenix »

jsleeio wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:59 am
bphenix wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:43 pm There is also a side conversation about data-durability and whether that should be opt-in vs opt-out but that largely breaks down to whether your biases are shaped by working with production systems, transactional databases or systems that support them on a regular basis and how deep those scars are.
I was going to say "who would opt-in to losing/corrupting their data" and then I remembered that RAID-5 exists and people insisted on using it despite the fatal flaws being very well documented

yes, my biases are shaped by production systems, including being an Oracle DBA for a while
Lol on RAID-5. I agree in general that Apple could have designed this particular thing better. It seems to be an artifact of trade-offs and designs optimized for one market and set of assumptions creating a blind spot and problem in another and great reminder that there is no such thing as truly general purpose computer or system so knowing your needs and requirements are important (and sadly rarely fully acknowledged or understood).
rens
Common Wiggler

Post by rens »

Bad news on the fans. How frustrating.
SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SynthBaron »

Turn on a computer from 20 years ago and you'll realize quickly that we all probably have permanent hearing damage from the loud fan and hard drive whining noises of using them back then.

People are really complaining that such a powerful computer is barely audible? Jesus.
rens
Common Wiggler

Post by rens »

Still a shame about the fans. Computer will have to go in the remote cabinet with the mixing board psu, instead of on the desk. In 2022 “fan is always running” is a Faceplant.
SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SynthBaron »

lol, even if they reprogram the fan curve...you think it wouldn't be on when using a DAW?
Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 »

rens wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:26 pm Bad news on the fans. How frustrating.
what ? whats the news exactly ?
For sale:
SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SynthBaron »

Funky40 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:09 pm
rens wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:26 pm Bad news on the fans. How frustrating.
what ? whats the news exactly ?
They are 25db at idle instead of 23db like the last Intel iMac's. Literally obsessing over nothing.

Screenshot 2022-03-09 at 20.56.36.png

https://quietmac.netlify.app/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rens
Common Wiggler

Post by rens »

SynthBaron wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:20 pm Literally obsessing over nothing.
I love how the internet brings out the best in people. :sarcasm:

Its pretty loud. Maybe you dont use microphones. Whatever.
SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SynthBaron »

rens wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:26 pm
SynthBaron wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:20 pm Literally obsessing over nothing.
I love how the internet brings out the best in people. :sarcasm:

Its pretty loud. Maybe you dont use microphones. Whatever.
Any PC is not going to be at "idle" when recording anyway. What are you doing, using an omni mic for voiceovers?
rens
Common Wiggler

Post by rens »

I record acoustic instruments with omnis and with m/s setups in a one room studio. The m1 mini is basically silent (5db?) when recording. I was hoping for the same, not 20 DB louder, which would have let me upgrade to the new machine and put it on the desk where its ports, etc could have been used. It sounds like they have confused themselves with what this machine is for or, more likely, specced this at the much more lucrative video market.

I disagree that the fans would be running with recording. Its really only plugins (edit; or high track counts and bad drivers…I use RME madi) that make the fans run on these machines. At mixdown, you’re talking 84 DB or more so the fans become less of an issue than when recording the tails of acoustic instruments.

Regardless, this has now moved the mac studio from ‘buy soon’ to ‘wait until I’ve used someone else's’ territory.

I see I am not alone: https://screenrant.com/mac-studio-fan-n ... es-it-get/
Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 »

thanks for the feedback !

seems then, apple has donne something entirely wrong.
absolutely strange.
For sale:
jsleeio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jsleeio »

rens wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:47 pmIt sounds like they have confused themselves with what this machine is for or, more likely, specced this at the much more lucrative video market.
it's cute that you think you know better than Apple what this machine is for
Zap him again! ZAP THE SONOFABITCH AGAIN!
rens
Common Wiggler

Post by rens »

What a charming person you are.
strettara
which way is up?

Post by strettara »

Well at least you’re not arguing about mac v windows.
"Three generations of imbeciles is enough." - Oliver Wendell Holmes.

Dilibob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dilibob »

rens wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:55 am Still a shame about the fans. Computer will have to go in the remote cabinet with the mixing board psu, instead of on the desk. In 2022 “fan is always running” is a Faceplant.
On minor things fan is 5% on my m1 max, but for anything major fan is around 50% max speed to keep it under 165F. I think people have all sorts of use cases, but for us with the heavier loads fan does creat noise. I do like the big fans on the 16 inch m1 max, i'd prefer fan noise rather than overheating. I know some people run thier m1 real hot, it's too soon to tell if running a m1 hot is fine long term.
Wubz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Wubz »

Just been trying out a Mac studio m1max the last few days.
Seems that Overbridge is not as optimized as it is on my 2018 Mac mini i7.
Having trouble with sporadic pops and clicks at buffer sizes higher than the Mac mini would run flawlessly at. Also goes out of sync by fractions so you get a kind of phasing.
Tried as many fixes as I can find so waiting to hear back from Elektron. Pretty tempted to return it and go back to better performance on my mini.
Either that or wait for software to be properly optimized.

EDIT: Gave up on it. Getting better stability in Ableton/Overbridge with my 2018 Mac Mini, still a champ for my needs. Mac Studio is total overkill for me.
Back to Apple she goes.
perestroika
Learning to Wiggle

Post by perestroika »

there is a local listing for a motu ultralite mk4, wondering if any of you homies have any experience with one and these new m1 macs. its usb-b and so far ive had no drama with my zoom u-24 into a usb-c hub.

only drama i did have recently was with the microfreak and it having stuck notes, taking ages for the arturia midi control center software to detect it. arturia support was of no help except they mentioned that maybe the usb hub would be a problem. so far no drama with my zoom interface and sending midi to other devices through it.

but anyway, thought id ask abotu the ultralite mk4 - i also read it was kinda iffy, unless firmware updates have had those issues fixed? i might be on a list on sweetwater for the mk5 but that this is mia from looks of it.

EDIT - ignore this, seller raised the price after i asked him a few questions about it. fak. i'll just wait for whenever the mk5 gets avaliable. if ever.
SingIt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SingIt »

Overbridge works perfectly on my M1 MBP16. I run everything native.
renderful
Common Wiggler

Post by renderful »

perestroika wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:17 pm there is a local listing for a motu ultralite mk4, wondering if any of you homies have any experience with one and these new m1 macs. its usb-b and so far ive had no drama with my zoom u-24 into a usb-c hub.

only drama i did have recently was with the microfreak and it having stuck notes, taking ages for the arturia midi control center software to detect it. arturia support was of no help except they mentioned that maybe the usb hub would be a problem. so far no drama with my zoom interface and sending midi to other devices through it.

but anyway, thought id ask abotu the ultralite mk4 - i also read it was kinda iffy, unless firmware updates have had those issues fixed? i might be on a list on sweetwater for the mk5 but that this is mia from looks of it.

EDIT - ignore this, seller raised the price after i asked him a few questions about it. fak. i'll just wait for whenever the mk5 gets avaliable. if ever.
The Ultralite Mk4 works flawlessly for me on the M1 Mac Mini via USB-B -> USB-C cable, and via USB-B -> USB-A cable, in Ableton Live and Bitwig.
everydaycurry
Ultra Wiggler

Post by everydaycurry »

I've had my Mac Studio for a week and haven't heard the fans... but I also live in Texas and it hit 104F today so it would probably be hard to hear anything over the A/C and two fans I have running in my music room.
stickman
Ultra Wiggler

Post by stickman »

SingIt wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:31 pm Overbridge works perfectly on my M1 MBP16. I run everything native.
The post makes me wonder if it was running native, works great for me too.
mOBiTh
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mOBiTh »

I had a some fun getting my Antelope Orion 32 HD working with my mac studio ultra today.

The latest launcher installation was fine and it immediately recognised the orion still connected to my old studio mac (via network sniffery).

The driver installation on the other hand was a disaster.

The first time you have to install something on your modern apple silicon mac that requires reduced security, you have to jump through some reboot/BIOS type hoops. That's not a problem, but for some reason this caused very intermittent connectivity to the interface and if I tried to select the Orion in AudioMIDI setup (macos utility) I got a nice bright magenta kernel panic every time. Not good.

So I uninstalled and reinstalled and found then it just didn't see the interface at all. Tried different USB ports, etc.

After uninstalling and reinstalling about 15 times it just suddenly worked perfectly for no obvious reason and has been stable ever since.

The only thing I think I did differently was doing double reboots after each uninstall and reinstall step, which doesn't seem that meaningful.

It's more likely the Orion driver is flakey about USB port aliasing (because it was on my old mac) - it was always pot luck whether I got it to work on the currently connected USB port...
mOBiTh
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mOBiTh »

mOBiTh wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:20 pm I had a some fun getting my Antelope Orion 32 HD working with my mac studio ultra today.

The latest launcher installation was fine and it immediately recognised the orion still connected to my old studio mac (via network sniffery).

The driver installation on the other hand was a disaster.

The first time you have to install something on your modern apple silicon mac that requires reduced security, you have to jump through some reboot/BIOS type hoops. That's not a problem, but for some reason this caused very intermittent connectivity to the interface and if I tried to select the Orion in AudioMIDI setup (macos utility) I got a nice bright magenta kernel panic every time. Not good.

So I uninstalled and reinstalled and found then it just didn't see the interface at all. Tried different USB ports, etc.

After uninstalling and reinstalling about 15 times it just suddenly worked perfectly for no obvious reason and has been stable ever since.

The only thing I think I did differently was doing double reboots after each uninstall and reinstall step, which doesn't seem that meaningful.

It's more likely the Orion driver is flakey about USB port aliasing (because it was on my old mac) - it was always pot luck whether I got it to work on the currently connected USB port...
PS: The rest of my migration, aside from having all the wrong USB cables, was entirely painless

Return to “General Gear”