Migrating to Apple silicon - issues, solutions, trouble-shooting

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.
clwilla
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Migrating to Apple silicon - issues, solutions, trouble-shooting

Post by clwilla »

charlie2 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:25 am I want to upgrade from my quad core i5 iMac but find myself a little lost. I've been moving more in the box and am looking for something that can handle a decent amount of VSTs, UAD plugins, etc. It doesn't seem that the silicon world is optimized for that quite yet. Is this impression of mine wrong? But that doesn't leave me with many options in the Mac world. At this point, I'm considering getting a spec'd out cylinder since you can find them for pretty cheap these days. But that seems backwards and support for those might drop off soon enough. Any suggestions?
I’d say it is. You should be able run pretty much whatever you, even if you need to use Rosetta mode.
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

clwilla wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:52 pm
charlie2 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:25 am I want to upgrade from my quad core i5 iMac but find myself a little lost. I've been moving more in the box and am looking for something that can handle a decent amount of VSTs, UAD plugins, etc. It doesn't seem that the silicon world is optimized for that quite yet. Is this impression of mine wrong? But that doesn't leave me with many options in the Mac world. At this point, I'm considering getting a spec'd out cylinder since you can find them for pretty cheap these days. But that seems backwards and support for those might drop off soon enough. Any suggestions?
I’d say it is. You should be able run pretty much whatever you, even if you need to use Rosetta mode.
I agree, it would be a backward step.
Kent
Curator/Janitor/Zookeeper

Post by Kent »

Any help on this would be appreciated.

My audio-production-only MacInTrash 17" laptop is getting close to 13 years old now. Solid workhorse with zero problems.
Alas, it has come to the point wherein compatibility is becoming an issue. I'll probably just use it as an effects processor.

I'm curious as to what the consensus is on 'the b3st!!1!!' Mac Laptop for Ableton Live and the usual stuff.

My core concerns are:

My whole studio -drives, UA audio interface, other interfaces via Aggregate Audio Devices, etc.- is connected via Firewire 800. I do have the Thunderbolt card for my UA interface, but that's it.

Has anyone successfully used a newer Mac and transitioned from Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt without huge expense? I could buy a new Thunderbolt RAID for audio but that's just extra expense.

Thoughts and feedback appreciated.
ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet »

Kent wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:25 am Any help on this would be appreciated.

My audio-production-only MacInTrash 17" laptop is getting close to 13 years old now. Amazing workhorse with zero problems.
Alas, it has come to the point wherein compatibility is becoming an issue. I'll probably just use it as an effects processor.

I'm curious as to what the consensus is on 'the b3st!!1!!' Mac Laptop for Ableton Live and the usual stuff.

My core concerns are:

My whole studio -drives, UA audio interface, other interfaces via Aggregate Audio Devices, etc.- is connected via Firewire 800. I do have the Thunderbolt card for my UA interface, but that's it.

Has anyone successfully used a newer Mac and transitioned from Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt without huge expense? I could buy a new Thunderbolt RAID for audio but that's just extra expense.

The biggest problem for me is that, even though my old Cheese Grater Mac tower (early 2008), with dual Quad core Xeon processors, 16GB of ram and 6TB of drives, will not go past El Capitan 10.11.5 without hacking the firmware (something I'm not willing to do). This means the latest versions of Ableton and Reason, my main DAW programs, are stuck in the versions below the latest available. Lucky for me, I don't particularly need any of the features added to those programs in their latest versions, so things have been ok. Someday that will change though. I will get a new music computer then. I do have the latest Intel Mac Mini as a graphics computer, so someday may get a new one of those and the Intel Mini will move into a music role and I can then update those programs (it is running Ventura now). It will be a sad day though. That old tower will become a render farm or just run older VSTi or Reason as a MIDI instrument.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases
Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 »

Kent wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:25 am Has anyone successfully used a newer Mac and transitioned from Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt without huge expense? I could buy a new Thunderbolt RAID for audio but that's just extra expense.

its not my territory,
but from what i´ve read, do people have to take TWO adapters,
one, from firewire to thunderbolt,
and another one, from TB 1 or 2, to TB3.
This seems to work.

i´d just ask the guys at RME. they shurely know.
imagine, you´ve just got a 2nd hand firewire800 something from RME from a friend, and have to switch the laptop now.
For sale:
jimfowler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jimfowler »

I was in a similar position (old MacBook Pro running flawlessly but being rendered obsolete due to software) and the utter lack of physical I/O on the latest MBPro models (plus my wife's ongoing keyboard issues with her late-model Pro) drove me to get a Studio. If you're not married to the idea of a laptop...

I upgraded from FW to TB when I purchased the Pro of which I speak and the performance/reliability benefits vastly outweighed any cost increase. My old Lynx Aurora TB plugs in to my Studio w/o incident as the protocol is backwards-compatible.
Weston Underwood
Common Wiggler

Post by Weston Underwood »

Yep, cheese grater with no further upgrade ability and bluetooth packed up. It an environmental disaster in the long term.
charlie2
Learning to Wiggle

Post by charlie2 »

clwilla wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:52 pm
Just to follow up, I'd say my initial impression was wrong as well. Looks like UAD is starting to migrate their plugins (everything available in Spark has M1 native versions), Reaktor has an M1 beta out there, and BFD3's M1 update seems to be close. Everything else I use has already updated. I was aware of Rosetta, but heard that it could be a CPU hog so wanted to avoid using it if possible and it looks like we're almost there at least as far as stuff I use goes.

So as much as I kind of wanted one of those eBay trashcan macs, it seems silicon is the way to go.
Spanningtree
Loop free patching via 802.1d

Post by Spanningtree »

My audio-production-only MacInTrash 17" laptop is getting close to 13 years old now. Solid workhorse with zero problems.

My core concerns are:

Maybe use OpenCore to breath a bit more life into your machine? While it is a PITA and time consuming any direction you choose is. I recently used OC on a 2012 13" MBP, worked well and have Big Sur running now, normally unsupported. My next target will be a 2009 cheese grater that still has pretty killer specs. I want everything from this tube of toothpaste before moving to the M series processors for my desktop. Just a thought.

Return to “General Gear”