Clockwork orange soundtrack phaser sound

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

doombient.music
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Clockwork orange soundtrack phaser sound

Post by doombient.music »

Richard deHove wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:40 pm Given the date of the movie isn't this most likely to be a Biphase or Phase-90? And while I'm a huge phaser fan so far as this music goes I think presentation in the original form is far superior:
Since the album was recorded in approx. 1970, the advent of the Biphase and the MXR was waiting far beyond the horizon. Even the Marshall Time Modulator -- which Wendy was planning to acquire -- didn't even exist at that time.

At a guess, I would say it's a combination of excessive filtering, tape speed modulation, and perhaps the Moog/Bode Frequency Shifter ("Klangumwandler", custom-built by Harald Bode) that Wendy had at her disposal.

Stephen
naos
Common Wiggler

Post by naos »

[deleted]
Last edited by naos on Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
naos
Common Wiggler

Post by naos »

MalteSteiner wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:15 am I don't think it was a Phasor at all. Moog modulars that time also had the Bode frequency shifter as an option which I think was used, it would also explain the clangious metallic sound. Mix it with the original signal and detune / shift it just slightly so a slow phasing set in.
probably this.
doombient.music
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by doombient.music »

It's more probably this one:

The oblong box on top of the Ampex, next to the lamp -- that's the Bode Klangumwandler.

I'll probably get sued for posting this picture.

Stephen
Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen »

doombient.music wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:22 am It's more probably this one:

The oblong box on top of the Ampex, next to the lamp -- that's the Bode Klangumwandler.

I'll probably get sued for posting this picture.

Stephen
Nice photo! What's that thing beneath the keys? Her ancient analogue audiointerface?
Nils
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Nils »

So was the Eventide Instant Phaser.
seancostello
Wiggling with Experience

Post by seancostello »

Frequency shifter. Take the Bode Frequency Shifter, route feedback around it, bam. You get that phasing sound.

I implemented an IIR Hilbert network in Csound back in 1999, and recorded a demo using Black Sabbath's "Sweet Leaf" as the sound source. The professor of the class said it sounded too synthetic. For the final, I used the same processing on Beethoven's 9th. The professor said it sounded great. There was a moment in the final track where the phasing sounded EXACTLY like the music near the end of A Clockwork Orange that was being used to torture Alex in the writer's house. But I can't find my track from 1999.

For anyone out there that has a computer, you can download a free plugin I made that implements frequency shifting:

https://valhalladsp.com/shop/delay/valhalla-freq-echo/

Set the shift from anywhere from 0.1 to 10 Hz (or negative), and turn up the feedback. You'll get that phasing sound.
SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SynthBaron »

seancostello wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:51 am Frequency shifter. Take the Bode Frequency Shifter, route feedback around it, bam. You get that phasing sound.

I implemented an IIR Hilbert network in Csound back in 1999, and recorded a demo using Black Sabbath's "Sweet Leaf" as the sound source. The professor of the class said it sounded too synthetic. For the final, I used the same processing on Beethoven's 9th. The professor said it sounded great. There was a moment in the final track where the phasing sounded EXACTLY like the music near the end of A Clockwork Orange that was being used to torture Alex in the writer's house. But I can't find my track from 1999.

For anyone out there that has a computer, you can download a free plugin I made that implements frequency shifting:

Set the shift from anywhere from 0.1 to 10 Hz (or negative), and turn up the feedback. You'll get that phasing sound.
Huh, the Bode 1630 clone in the Moog Modular module set for Cherry Modular (free demo period to play with if you want https://store.cherryaudio.com/bundles/vm900-collection) has a "regeneration" knob that the original hardware module doesn't, which I just assume is the same thing as feedback (like resonance on a filter). Cranking it up DOES give that really pronounced "phased" sound. But if you double up the effect (running your signal through two 1630's in series), it REALLY sounds like the Clockwork Orange effect. Which makes me wonder if not only the tracks were recorded with it being processed with the frequency shifter, but also compounded on a submix or final master mix.

I do have to agree with Peake now that I've used at least this 1630 in digital form (programmed by Mark Barton), does sound different than other frequency shifter's I've used.
Spectra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Spectra »

seancostello wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:51 am Frequency shifter. Take the Bode Frequency Shifter, route feedback around it, bam. You get that phasing sound.

Same code is also part of an old Reaktor module, right? Great work.
JES
Ultra Wiggler

Post by JES »

That is the only plug-in that I can say changed my life.
"Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower." --Aragorn23

Return to “General Gear”