Korg SQ-64

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Underglow
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Korg SQ-64

Post by Underglow »

tvparcable wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:12 pm
Underglow wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:32 pm
tvparcable wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:12 pm
Underglow wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:55 pm
tvparcable wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:38 am Has anyone used the SQ-64 as a midi to cv converter? I would like to use it to control my modular setup from either Orca (via individual tracks in Ableton if needed) or the M8 tracker. It looks fairly doable with the Beatstep pro, albeit apparently quite buggy, so I'd much prefer going with the SQ-64, which looks like a much more interesting device. My goal is to avoid using HP for Midi>CV conversion, as I usually sequence directly within my Eurorack system. Any real-life experience on that front?
I use the SQ64 to juice my modular every day. Keystep into the MIDI IN jack allows me to send MIDI signals directly out to the modular, with the SQ64 in between controlling the arrangement. Being able to switch MIDI channels directly on the Keystep means I can flip between all my outputs/instruments on a dime.

I don’t see why there would be a problem connecting an external tracker/sequencer, as long as it’s running directly through the MIDI IN jack, then appropriately configured.

I’ve considered letting go of my FH-2. But I decided against that, for the times that I want to use my modular, and my modular alone.
Thanks, that's encouraging! Is it as simple as telling your source which channels you are sending MIDI info to, then plugging that in the SQ-64's MIDI IN and grabbing the corresponding CV signal out of the respective channels? Maybe that's a naively optimistic scenario… would you mind describing the process?
I’ll describe for you what works for me in my current setup:

I have a Keystep (just the regular Keystep 32). With that device, the keyboard MIDI channel can be set to 1-16, directly on the hardware.

The Keystep DIN MIDI out connects to the SQ64 MIDI IN jack. Now, once I’ve configured “MIDI RX” appropriately (i.e., input on channels 1-4 output on SQ64 A-D), I can see MIDI keyboard input on each of the SQ64’s analog outputs.

Boom. MIDI-to-CV. Three pairs of gate+pitch, and 8 analog gates/triggers, from a MIDI keyboard.

The only MIDI sequence/tracking devices I have are software, so to use those I need a USB-MIDI connection, of course. But when I buy other hardware sequencers (of course I will), I’m guessing and hoping I’ll have the same results.
Thanks so much, that's super helpful! I'm looking into the manual and it looks like you can even attribute specific midi channel to specific tracks, which would be perfect to use with Orca. I might give it a try :)
My pleasure. All your mention of Orca got me curious, so I googled it…WOW!

If it can transmit MIDI via a DIN output, my guess is you’d be fine. If it’s transmiting via USB-MIDI, you may have to configure a workaround. If it’s your primary tracking sequencer I would just hard-configure the Orca’s outputs to the respective inputs of tracks A-D. Then, on the SQ64 itself, you could on a dime send the Orca’s outputs, through the SQ-64, to the inputs of any MIDI instrument in your studio.
Last edited by Underglow on Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Underglow
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Underglow »

Edit: double post.
tvparcable
Common Wiggler

Post by tvparcable »

Underglow wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:23 pm
tvparcable wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:12 pm
Underglow wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:32 pm
tvparcable wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:12 pm
Underglow wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:55 pm
tvparcable wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:38 am Has anyone used the SQ-64 as a midi to cv converter? I would like to use it to control my modular setup from either Orca (via individual tracks in Ableton if needed) or the M8 tracker. It looks fairly doable with the Beatstep pro, albeit apparently quite buggy, so I'd much prefer going with the SQ-64, which looks like a much more interesting device. My goal is to avoid using HP for Midi>CV conversion, as I usually sequence directly within my Eurorack system. Any real-life experience on that front?
I use the SQ64 to juice my modular every day. Keystep into the MIDI IN jack allows me to send MIDI signals directly out to the modular, with the SQ64 in between controlling the arrangement. Being able to switch MIDI channels directly on the Keystep means I can flip between all my outputs/instruments on a dime.

I don’t see why there would be a problem connecting an external tracker/sequencer, as long as it’s running directly through the MIDI IN jack, then appropriately configured.

I’ve considered letting go of my FH-2. But I decided against that, for the times that I want to use my modular, and my modular alone.
Thanks, that's encouraging! Is it as simple as telling your source which channels you are sending MIDI info to, then plugging that in the SQ-64's MIDI IN and grabbing the corresponding CV signal out of the respective channels? Maybe that's a naively optimistic scenario… would you mind describing the process?
I’ll describe for you what works for me in my current setup:

I have a Keystep (just the regular Keystep 32). With that device, the keyboard MIDI channel can be set to 1-16, directly on the hardware.

The Keystep DIN MIDI out connects to the SQ64 MIDI IN jack. Now, once I’ve configured “MIDI RX” appropriately (i.e., input on channels 1-4 output on SQ64 A-D), I can see MIDI keyboard input on each of the SQ64’s analog outputs.

Boom. MIDI-to-CV. Three pairs of gate+pitch, and 8 analog gates/triggers, from a MIDI keyboard.

The only MIDI sequence/tracking devices I have are software, so to use those I need a USB-MIDI connection, of course. But when I buy other hardware sequencers (of course I will), I’m guessing and hoping I’ll have the same results.
Thanks so much, that's super helpful! I'm looking into the manual and it looks like you can even attribute specific midi channel to specific tracks, which would be perfect to use with Orca. I might give it a try :)
My pleasure. All your mention of Orca got me curious, so I googled it…WOW!

If it can transmit MIDI via a DIN output, my guess is you’d be fine. If it’s transmiting via USB-MIDI, you may have to configure a workaround. If it’s your primary tracking sequencer I would just hard-configure the Orca’s outputs to the respective inputs of tracks A-D. Then, on the SQ64 itself, you could on a dime send the Orca’s outputs, through the SQ-64, to the inputs of any MIDI instrument in your studio.
Yes it's tons of fun, I highly recommend it if you are interested in an approach to live coding that doesn't really force you to learn a complex language. It's free/name your price and the minimalist approach really lends itself to avoid getting distracted. There's something very modular about it too, in the sense that you have operands (sort of like modules) interact with each other, and you don't always know what's going to happen. When you create any midi signal in Orca you need to give it a channel, so that wouldn't be a problem. Then you can just send Orca's messages to whichever midi device your computer knows: it can be a hardware usb to midi converter or a software that receives midi. I've used a simple Mio usb->midi cable to control my modular like that through my 0-coast as a midi>cv interface and it works great albeit with only one channel. I want my euro case to remain self sufficient without a computer, so I'm not fully ready to commit to using HP for a midi>cv module, so some 0 hp solution like the SQ-64 sounds ideal to me, especially since it seems to double up as a very interesting alternative to the Beatstep pro for everyday sequencing too… well, it's a sequencer after all :)
Thorsday
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Thorsday »

Spectra wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:48 am I tried using it as a multi channel midi2cv converter and had a bad time. That was before this update. Bought a dedicated 4 channel m2cv.
You just reminded me of the Ski Instructor from South Park.

MIDI-CV from Arturia Keystep works. Great for programming polyphonic stabs and what not.
Spectra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Spectra »

I'm not saying it doesn't work as a simple midi2cv converter. It doesn't do everything I need for midi2cv. This was a better fit for me with more capability.

The SQ-64 mostly gets used as a CV modulator. No notes!
Underglow
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Underglow »

Spectra wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:14 pm I'm not saying it doesn't work as a simple midi2cv converter. It doesn't do everything I need for midi2cv. This was a better fit for me with more capability.

The SQ-64 mostly gets used as a CV modulator. No notes!

Well, the SQ64 doesn’t implement poly MIDI-CV…just poly MIDI.

So if it’s dedicated poly CV one seeks…yes, a separate MIDI-CV would be required I suppose. That’s where my FH-2 shines. Are there other functions on the Doepfer that you are unable to replicate on the Korg? Curious.
Last edited by Underglow on Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spectra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Spectra »

I don't recall exactly what it can and can't do in that regard. I used the SQ64 for a day a when I first got it and promptly determined I needed a dedicated midi2cv module to sequence my 4 voice modular system from Ableton.

The SQ64 slaves to Abelton very well. I was using it for note pattern sequencing at first. Three parts and a drum kit. This was just to become familiar with it. Now it mostly gets used as a step modulator. No notes. Plus some occasional triggers to supplement my main midi2cv.
Underglow
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Underglow »

Edit: failpost
Last edited by Underglow on Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Underglow
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Underglow »

Edit: sorry mods. I keep pressing “quote” instead of “reply”. Need more coffee.
Spectra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Spectra »

It must have been a bad year for new sequencer/controllers because our SQ-64 just won the best new sequencer of the year.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/the-5-b ... socialflow
Boneoh
Common Wiggler

Post by Boneoh »

I've been experimenting with the Resync function. If I press SHIFT + BOUNCE, the track will continue playing until the last step, then begin the alternating forward, reverse, etc. If I press SHIFT + REVERSE or SHIFT + STOCH, the track will immediately begin the process. Its not consistent, but not a big deal. The challenge I have is trying to get the track to RESYNC. It seems to always immediately perform the resync. It's very difficult to get all the tracks back into sync again. I did not notice any difference in behavior having polyrythm on or off.

Does anyone have a better handle on this? The SHIFT options for playback are great, its just getting all tracks to resync is driving my nuts! :bang:

Thanks!
Vow3ll
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Vow3ll »

Spectra wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:18 am It must have been a bad year for new sequencer/controllers because our SQ-64 just won the best new sequencer of the year.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/the-5-b ... socialflow

lol x pi x Tree3 = sure
LuciferSam
1-Post Wiggler

Post by LuciferSam »

Newbie here just got my sq64 in the mail today and it’s actually my first external sequencer but it’s kicking my a** all over the place I can’t even get it to sync with my NTS1 or my volca sample which are the two things I wanted it for the most that and my monologue and Kastle synth . Anyways I just restored it to factory because it seemed to already have some patterns saved everything was coming out weird and I couldn’t map anything and barley even could get a sound. Any beginners tips would be seriously appreciated. Thanks guys and happy holidaze!!
robleighton22
Learning to Wiggle

Post by robleighton22 »

Try getting one synth to work first, and start with the 'A' channel. Make sure your synth is set to channel 1 internally and then use the global settings for 'A' channel on Sq64 to ensure it is also pointing to 1. Maybe set the SQ64 clock to be internal for now so that you can just press play and get the sequence going. Punch notes in via the Gate mode for Channel A, and mess with the pitch once you are confident the gate signals are reaching your synth. Most of what you need to do is in the global settings when you first start. Lots of tutorial videos out there, it's a pretty straight forward machine once you get it going. Sorry that may not have been too much help.
aethyr
Wiggling with Experience

Post by aethyr »

Since you just received the unit, verify it is running the latest firmware. If it is running the old software, it is essential to update.
JRamella
Common Wiggler

Post by JRamella »

So... I'm on my second SQ-64, first one was returned due to issues with the display. The "new" one, however, is like the first. It will accept sync (inbound MIDI clock) via the USB interface but not via the MIDI cable. I verified the MIDI cable is fine and again... it sync's fine via USB. Is anyone else experiencing this? I have looked at all of the YT videos out there and no one seems to be syncing via MIDI cable IN, so I don't know if this is a known firmware bug or maybe it needs it's MIDI out cable connected as well?? Thanks!
Spectra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Spectra »

Mine syncs fine with the midi input. I don't use the USB.

Maybe I should make a video. /s
Teer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Teer »

Sorry for posting this question again, but it is a very crucial topic to me, e.g. using rings:

is there a way that a muted track also mutes the pitch and mod channels, not only the gate channel?

If I mute a track it won't output gates but still the pitch information. is there a solution with the sq-64?

thanks
Spectra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Spectra »

If the gate isn't high, the values of pitch and mod shouldn't matter. You can't "mute" a pitch CV. It has to be a value. Same with mod. So you want the value to "freeze" when you mute the gate? It's not gonna happen.
electricfence
Veteran Wiggler

Post by electricfence »

Teer wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:55 pm Sorry for posting this question again, but it is a very crucial topic to me, e.g. using rings:

is there a way that a muted track also mutes the pitch and mod channels, not only the gate channel?

If I mute a track it won't output gates but still the pitch information. is there a solution with the sq-64?

thanks
Can you just patch the cv through a sample and hold module, using the SQ-64’s gate to gate the sample and hold as well?
joeSeggiola
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joeSeggiola »

electricfence wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:08 pm
Teer wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:55 pm Sorry for posting this question again, but it is a very crucial topic to me, e.g. using rings:

thanks
Can you just patch the cv through a sample and hold module, using the SQ-64’s gate to gate the sample and hold as well?
Or a VCA if you wanted CV/MOD to be zero when muted.
Teer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Teer »

ok. thanks. my mental model of a track mute is that it mutes not only the gate channel. Is this expected behaviour for you? does anyone know if it is the same e.g. with the beatstep pro?

At the moment I change the track to an empty pattern instead of using the mute function.
joeSeggiola
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joeSeggiola »

Teer wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:18 am my mental model of a track mute is that it mutes not only the gate channel. Is this expected behaviour for you?
I guess why it may seems obvious that way, but as Spectra said, if you think about it thoroughly, what voltage value should the sequencer output for CV and MOD when muted? Zero, I don't think so, or you'll get ghost notes on release tails. The only possible alternative is the last voltage before muting, as electricfence suggested...
Teer wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:18 amdoes anyone know if it is the same e.g. with the beatstep pro?
I don't have one, sorry, can't answer that.
Teer wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:18 amAt the moment I change the track to an empty pattern instead of using the mute function.
But you won't accomplish S&H that way. As soon as you switch pattern, you'll get CV and MOD values from the first step of the new pattern, which is not necessarily the last CV and MOD before muting...
Teer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Teer »

e.g. holding the cv value would be nice, at least not spitting out all the programmed values.
I don't want to get philosophical about the meaning of "mute", the implemented behaviour just does not meet my expectations.

thanks for all your thoughts about the topic.
mrfoxly
1-Post Wiggler

Post by mrfoxly »

I picked up an SQ-64 about a week ago, overall I'm really enjoying it as what I envisioned to be the heart of a mostly DAWless production process. I'm just having one issue that I hope is just user error.

My configuration looks like (I'm using a 6 port MIDI thru box):

A: MIDI 1 CH 1 - Moog Matriarch
B: MIDI 1 CH 2 - Korg Minilogue Xd
C: MIDI 1 CH 3 - Korg Volca FM
D: MIDI 1 CH 4 - Roland TR-6S

Subtracks D1-6 are also on CH4 TX out with the instrument tracks mapped to the Roland's MIDI notes

Individually muted every track plays fine, but I can hear the TR-6S playing underneath tracks A, B, and C whenever they play the same MIDI note in their sequence. Track D solo sounds as expected as well. I'm assuming I can probably fix this with another TRS to MIDI out and dumping the drums all onto MIDI OUT 2, but I feel like this should work.

Return to “General Gear”