Korg SQ-64

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Teer
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Korg SQ-64

Post by Teer »

hi,

is there a way that a muted track also mutes the pitch and mod channels, not only the gate channel?

thanks
Raphie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Raphie »

1.10 update out! So is the Editor!
bibenu
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bibenu »

Raphie wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:42 am 1.10 update out! So is the Editor!
Looks like it provides an editor for windows users and not much else ?

https://www.korg.com/us/support/downloa ... /872/4737/
Spectra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Spectra »

bibenu wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:56 am
Raphie wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:42 am 1.10 update out! So is the Editor!
Looks like it provides an editor for windows users and not much else ?

https://www.korg.com/us/support/downloa ... /872/4737/
The only OS that matters. :razz:
Spectra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Spectra »

Misterp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Misterp »

Thanks for the tip off Spectra. SQ64 updated and Korg Kontrol installed on Win 10 PC. Only had my SQ64 for 2 weeks but loving it so far and pleased to see editor support.
Underglow
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Underglow »

EDITOR HAS ARRIVED! HOORAY!

Lol. I’m happy for this and I’m sure this thread is too. Now let’s check it out and make sure it works!
Spectra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Spectra »

Now we can find a new batch of things to whine about.
Raphie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Raphie »

Any improvements found yet? All my gripes still seem to be there
The editor helps configuration though.
Underglow
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Underglow »

Booyeah! Custom scales! The raga/microtonal lover in me rejoices.

The ability to finally start backing up projects, control mappings, even the entire workspace, etc. is a much needed step up. Time to really build with this.
TJontheRoad
Common Wiggler

Post by TJontheRoad »

I'm glad to see Korg coming through with some support and the editor. A full list of bug fixes in the notes would be nice. I'm a bit disappointed there isn't any note input or sequence editing from the "editor". But, maybe that's coming.
Spectra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Spectra »

What is the editor for if you can't edit a sequence? Just dumps?
Underglow
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Underglow »

Spectra wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:45 am What is the editor for if you can't edit a sequence? Just dumps?
Setting up MIDI control mappings. Having banks of custom buttons for all my MIDI gear/tools kicks butt and makes the SQ64 more of a “hub” for me.

Setting up custom scales, too.

If I feel like using a mouse to click in sequences, I just use software sequencers. Doesn’t the fun from this kit come from using one’s hands to build? It does for me. But, I arrived here after being “in the box” almost entirely, for years. Horses for courses…
Boneoh
Common Wiggler

Post by Boneoh »

DrVecctor wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:54 am ...

On another topic: I am not aware what exactly the resync problems were with firmware 1.0 since I started working with firmware 1.01, but I am encountering still:
It appears that in order to resync an out of sync track (let's assume all other tracks are in sync), one has to press resync for that track exactly at the right moment (which is not what I expected from this feature, I am not dexterous enough, I am not a drummer lol).
When I do that, at the right moment, the track will stay in sync for a moment, but for some reason, after reaching the end of the pattern it will go out of sync again.

Actually this happens when polyrythm is OFF. As long as polyrythm is ON, it will stay in sync. So it appears that when polyrithm is OFF, the software "reverts" the resync at the end of the pattern. Hope this will get fixed soon...
This is my challenge for today. I applied the update to v 1.10 yesterday. Here is a link to the post for the update SQ 64 update.

I have a project with four tracks. Before starting, I use the SHIFT button and set all tracks to Polyrythm, then press PLAY. All is well. Then I press SHIFT + BOUNCE for Track A and let it play, then press SHIFT + BOUNCE to return to normal playback mode. Sure enough, the tracks will resync. Beautiful!

But if I try SHIFT + REVERSE, SHIFT + STOACH, or SHIFT + RANDOM, let it play, and then try to return to normal playback, it will Not resync. It would be great if the sync behavior was constistent.

Still having a ton of fun with the SQ 64 tho. :hihi:

EDIT: I just tested this again with polyrythm on and off. It seems I was getting lucky with my timing when turning bounce off and getting resynced. All of the tracks are 16 steps and the tempo is kinda slow. So the answer for now is I can't get the tracks to resync unless I get lucky!
Thorsday
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Thorsday »

Boneoh wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:17 pm
DrVecctor wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:54 am ...

On another topic: I am not aware what exactly the resync problems were with firmware 1.0 since I started working with firmware 1.01, but I am encountering still:
It appears that in order to resync an out of sync track (let's assume all other tracks are in sync), one has to press resync for that track exactly at the right moment (which is not what I expected from this feature, I am not dexterous enough, I am not a drummer lol).
When I do that, at the right moment, the track will stay in sync for a moment, but for some reason, after reaching the end of the pattern it will go out of sync again.

Actually this happens when polyrythm is OFF. As long as polyrythm is ON, it will stay in sync. So it appears that when polyrithm is OFF, the software "reverts" the resync at the end of the pattern. Hope this will get fixed soon...
This is my challenge for today. I applied the update to v 1.10 yesterday. Here is a link to the post for the update SQ 64 update.

I have a project with four tracks. Before starting, I use the SHIFT button and set all tracks to Polyrythm, then press PLAY. All is well. Then I press SHIFT + BOUNCE for Track A and let it play, then press SHIFT + BOUNCE to return to normal playback mode. Sure enough, the tracks will resync. Beautiful!

But if I try SHIFT + REVERSE, SHIFT + STOACH, or SHIFT + RANDOM, let it play, and then try to return to normal playback, it will Not resync. It would be great if the sync behavior was constistent.

Still having a ton of fun with the SQ 64 tho. :hihi:

EDIT: I just tested this again with polyrythm on and off. It seems I was getting lucky with my timing when turning bounce off and getting resynced. All of the tracks are 16 steps and the tempo is kinda slow. So the answer for now is I can't get the tracks to resync unless I get lucky!
Are you externally clocking it?
Boneoh
Common Wiggler

Post by Boneoh »

Thorsday wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:19 pm
No, but being somewhat of a noob and using the minimalist manual, I'm sure making my share of mistakes!

I have time on my hands and will test some more tomorrow to see if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks!
E150
Learning to Wiggle

Post by E150 »

Boneoh wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:05 pm
No, but being somewhat of a noob and using the minimalist manual, I'm sure making my share of mistakes!

I have time on my hands and will test some more tomorrow to see if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks!
Does there happen to be a maximalist version of said manual?

Just got this thing a few days ago and I’m still pretty lost. ;)
tvparcable
Common Wiggler

Post by tvparcable »

Has anyone used the SQ-64 as a midi to cv converter? I would like to use it to control my modular setup from either Orca (via individual tracks in Ableton if needed) or the M8 tracker. It looks fairly doable with the Beatstep pro, albeit apparently quite buggy, so I'd much prefer going with the SQ-64, which looks like a much more interesting device. My goal is to avoid using HP for Midi>CV conversion, as I usually sequence directly within my Eurorack system. Any real-life experience on that front?
Spectra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Spectra »

I tried using it as a multi channel midi2cv converter and had a bad time. That was before this update. Bought a dedicated 4 channel m2cv.
tvparcable
Common Wiggler

Post by tvparcable »

Spectra wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:48 am I tried using it as a multi channel midi2cv converter and had a bad time. That was before this update. Bought a dedicated 4 channel m2cv.
Thanks for sharing, this is very useful to know - what did you end up going for?
Boneoh
Common Wiggler

Post by Boneoh »

E150 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:36 am
Boneoh wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:05 pm

Thanks!
Does there happen to be a maximalist version of said manual?

Just got this thing a few days ago and I’m still pretty lost. ;)
Unfortunately I have not seen one. I've got the basics down after about a week for Gate, Pitch, and Mod. I need to wrap my head around the Loop and Pattern features. Thats my goal for this week.

FWIW I am really enjoying the SQ 64. I really like the grid approach vs. keyboard. Yesterday I had fun setting a lot of the Mod values for filter cutoff and other modulation. I expect that we will be seeing more updates as time goes by.
Underglow
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Underglow »

tvparcable wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:38 am Has anyone used the SQ-64 as a midi to cv converter? I would like to use it to control my modular setup from either Orca (via individual tracks in Ableton if needed) or the M8 tracker. It looks fairly doable with the Beatstep pro, albeit apparently quite buggy, so I'd much prefer going with the SQ-64, which looks like a much more interesting device. My goal is to avoid using HP for Midi>CV conversion, as I usually sequence directly within my Eurorack system. Any real-life experience on that front?
I use the SQ64 to juice my modular every day. Keystep into the MIDI IN jack allows me to send MIDI signals directly out to the modular, with the SQ64 in between controlling the arrangement. Being able to switch MIDI channels directly on the Keystep means I can flip between all my outputs/instruments on a dime.

I don’t see why there would be a problem connecting an external tracker/sequencer, as long as it’s running directly through the MIDI IN jack, then appropriately configured.

I’ve considered letting go of my FH-2. But I decided against that, for the times that I want to use my modular, and my modular alone.
tvparcable
Common Wiggler

Post by tvparcable »

Underglow wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:55 pm
tvparcable wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:38 am Has anyone used the SQ-64 as a midi to cv converter? I would like to use it to control my modular setup from either Orca (via individual tracks in Ableton if needed) or the M8 tracker. It looks fairly doable with the Beatstep pro, albeit apparently quite buggy, so I'd much prefer going with the SQ-64, which looks like a much more interesting device. My goal is to avoid using HP for Midi>CV conversion, as I usually sequence directly within my Eurorack system. Any real-life experience on that front?
I use the SQ64 to juice my modular every day. Keystep into the MIDI IN jack allows me to send MIDI signals directly out to the modular, with the SQ64 in between controlling the arrangement. Being able to switch MIDI channels directly on the Keystep means I can flip between all my outputs/instruments on a dime.

I don’t see why there would be a problem connecting an external tracker/sequencer, as long as it’s running directly through the MIDI IN jack, then appropriately configured.

I’ve considered letting go of my FH-2. But I decided against that, for the times that I want to use my modular, and my modular alone.
Thanks, that's encouraging! Is it as simple as telling your source which channels you are sending MIDI info to, then plugging that in the SQ-64's MIDI IN and grabbing the corresponding CV signal out of the respective channels? Maybe that's a naively optimistic scenario… would you mind describing the process?
Underglow
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Underglow »

tvparcable wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:12 pm

Thanks, that's encouraging! Is it as simple as telling your source which channels you are sending MIDI info to, then plugging that in the SQ-64's MIDI IN and grabbing the corresponding CV signal out of the respective channels? Maybe that's a naively optimistic scenario… would you mind describing the process?
I’ll describe for you what works for me in my current setup:

I have a Keystep (just the regular Keystep 32). With that device, the keyboard MIDI channel can be set to 1-16, directly on the hardware.

The Keystep DIN MIDI out connects to the SQ64 MIDI IN jack. Now, once I’ve configured “MIDI RX” appropriately (i.e., input on channels 1-4 output on SQ64 A-D), I can see MIDI keyboard input on each of the SQ64’s analog outputs.

Boom. MIDI-to-CV. Three pairs of gate+pitch, and 8 analog gates/triggers, from a MIDI keyboard.

The only MIDI sequence/tracking devices I have are software, so to use those I need a USB-MIDI connection, of course. But when I buy other hardware sequencers (of course I will), I’m guessing and hoping I’ll have the same results.
tvparcable
Common Wiggler

Post by tvparcable »

Underglow wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:32 pm
tvparcable wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:12 pm

I’ll describe for you what works for me in my current setup:

I have a Keystep (just the regular Keystep 32). With that device, the keyboard MIDI channel can be set to 1-16, directly on the hardware.

The Keystep DIN MIDI out connects to the SQ64 MIDI IN jack. Now, once I’ve configured “MIDI RX” appropriately (i.e., input on channels 1-4 output on SQ64 A-D), I can see MIDI keyboard input on each of the SQ64’s analog outputs.

Boom. MIDI-to-CV. Three pairs of gate+pitch, and 8 analog gates/triggers, from a MIDI keyboard.

The only MIDI sequence/tracking devices I have are software, so to use those I need a USB-MIDI connection, of course. But when I buy other hardware sequencers (of course I will), I’m guessing and hoping I’ll have the same results.
Thanks so much, that's super helpful! I'm looking into the manual and it looks like you can even attribute specific midi channel to specific tracks, which would be perfect to use with Orca. I might give it a try :)

Return to “General Gear”