Korg SQ-64

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Korg SQ-64

Post by R.U.Nuts »

I'm also one of the guys who think that the SQ64 is a pretty good sequencer. Besides the fact that I badly miss Realtime input and recording for the drum track and that I can't figure out how the pattern chain mode works there are some features which are absolutely brillant and unique (at least to my knowledge):
- 64 pads and the resultig amount of visual feedback.
- the step randomizer: This is just brilliant because: 1. there is not only pure randomness but also the possibility to make a trigger occur for example every second or every fourth cycle of a pattern predictably. 2. If you hold down several pads at the same time and then adjust randomness this will make the held down steps all occur or not occur within one cycle of a sequence. This makes it possible to not only randomize individual steps but whole short sequences within a sequence.
3. the solid hardware, which IMHO isn't something that I learned to expect from Korg...
pseudospaceman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pseudospaceman »

Currently have about a month with the SQ-64 now and have developed some thoughts. Overall, I really like it and I am making stuff I never would have without it (isometric keyboard is a huge reason behind this). It does have some pretty big shortcomings that I hope Korg will resolve because it has the potential to be a truly great sequencer.

A few improvements that I think would like to see:

- independent sequence lengths, speeds, Fill probability, and playback directions for each D Sub-Track.
- a way to mute tracks with one hand. Solution: an option within the Global page to swap Control and Shift button functions.
- more step-by-step sequence capabilities for Mod output: ability to select shape of modulation for each step (ramp up, ramp down, high, low, random, etc.). Even a straight up LFO option would be a huge improvement.
- when Playing a sequence with Pitch/Keyboard view, the assigned notes should flash on the keyboard per step (or just every gate for simplicity).
- with Play engaged and within Pitch/Keyboard view, user selected “live” notes and gates should override sequence.

There are more glaring issues, such as Loop mode bugging out and unable to cancel the loop by double tapping, lack of quantization and ability to overwrite previous note data when recording, an undo record function, the Mod section being a total pain to use, etc. but they must know of those issues and will hopefully fix those too.
R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts »

pseudospaceman wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:28 am
- with Play engaged and within Pitch/Keyboard view, user selected “live” notes and gates should override sequence.
This is possible. There's a page in the global settings where you can choose between override or transpose as behavior for the keyboard mode.
pseudospaceman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pseudospaceman »

R.U.Nuts wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:44 pm
pseudospaceman wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:28 am
This is possible. There's a page in the global settings where you can choose between override or transpose as behavior for the keyboard mode.
THANK YOU!! Not sure how I missed that.
JRamella
Common Wiggler

Post by JRamella »

So... what is the magical way to power this thing? Plugging into my Mac Pro - it works perfectly but I get digital noise. Using an apple watch usb power adapter and the display gets all wonky when I start scrolling. I read reviews of the Korg wall-wart (for the Volca's) and there are complaints about a high pitch whine. I tried my KARP Odyssey wall-wart and I get the same display issue. And of course, my Cioks DC cables which fit every pedal - don't fit.

How do you power this thing?
TJontheRoad
Common Wiggler

Post by TJontheRoad »

JRamella wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:58 am So... what is the magical way to power this thing? Plugging into my Mac Pro - it works perfectly but I get digital noise. Using an apple watch usb power adapter and the display gets all wonky when I start scrolling. I read reviews of the Korg wall-wart (for the Volca's) and there are complaints about a high pitch whine. I tried my KARP Odyssey wall-wart and I get the same display issue. And of course, my Cioks DC cables which fit every pedal - don't fit.

I'm using this with the 1.7mm adapter. Works as should. USB power doesn't let the light brightness to great enough to see.
TJontheRoad
Common Wiggler

Post by TJontheRoad »

dup post
Last edited by TJontheRoad on Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TJontheRoad
Common Wiggler

Post by TJontheRoad »

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts »

JRamella wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:58 am So... what is the magical way to power this thing? Plugging into my Mac Pro - it works perfectly but I get digital noise. Using an apple watch usb power adapter and the display gets all wonky when I start scrolling. I read reviews of the Korg wall-wart (for the Volca's) and there are complaints about a high pitch whine. I tried my KARP Odyssey wall-wart and I get the same display issue. And of course, my Cioks DC cables which fit every pedal - don't fit.

I use a USB hub connected to my Macbook Air and have no issues. However I have a USB port on my mixer which only puts out power for USB gooseneck lights and such. Connected to this USB port I get that high pitched whine, too...
sket
Common Wiggler

Post by sket »

Got distracted and wandered away from the computer today before finishing checkout on one of these boys….thankful for my ADHD ass brain after reading this thread LMFAO

for those undeterred there is a US shop on reverb that got these for $249, new, free shipping….i think i will pass tho…..
pseudospaceman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pseudospaceman »

The Korg KA350 AC Adaptor (that came with my minilogue) works great! No whine whatsoever.
Spectra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Spectra »

USB connected to the wall with an adapter works fine. It doesn't come with a power supply.
Underglow
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Underglow »

I am able to power the SQ64 (@ 2A) via a powered hub, and use both DAWs and my desktop synths (Minitaur & MEGAfm) without any whine (and no adapter).

As soon as I send that config to my Expert Sleepers FH-2 powered by my Doepfer PSU3, though, whine is introduced to the signal. Plugging the adapter takes care of that.

Some sort of subjective power/electrical issue between certain devices, it seems to me. I haven’t the expertise to isolate the exact cause. I just know that I need to keep the adapter :hihi:
joeSeggiola
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joeSeggiola »

Yeah, as Underglow says, it probably depends on the setup. In my experience everything is fine, unless I power the SQ-64 with the USB port of my Eurorack power module: in that scenario I can hear a high-pitched noise in the signal path that is proportional to the number of LEDs that are currently lit on the sequencer. My guess is that some noise is introduced in the ground path. If I power the SQ-64 with a battery or a different external USB power supply, then everything is perfectly silent also when connecting the SQ-64 output to the modular.

About the LEDs brightness, I keep mine set at 500mA because I usually play quite in the dark. Anyway my USB power supplies (a wall adapter and a portable USB power bank) are both capable of making the SQ-64 a lot brighter if set to 2A. When powered by the PC, instead, it falls back to 500mA also if set to 2A: I guess my PC simply doesn't deliver enough through the port.
R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts »

Those cheap USB wall warts you get with - for example- Smartphones are really crap. I have one or two on which you can already hear that whine coming out of the wall wart itself. :eek:
I also briefly had a Beatstep Pro which actually sent full on 50 Htz ground hum through all the CV and gate outputs when used with certain USB power plugs. So you probably can't blame the SQ 64 for this...
Headphones73
Common Wiggler

Post by Headphones73 »

So are these still worth getting or are they still buggy? I could use a MIDI/cv hub I can sequence, but someone here mentioned there were some issues. Haven’t had time to go through this post in awhile, but I figured it would be good to find out if Korg updated this lately.
Gear owned: Hungry Robot Modular Oscillator, Output, Slew, Sample & Hold, Sonicsmith Modulor A1, Behringer Crave, RD6, RD9, TD3, Korg EA-1, ER-1 MK2, Boss SP202, SP404, SP505, RE20, Line 6 M5, Akai Miniak, S20, XR20, S2000, Moog MF102, MF104M, CP251, Dreadbox Taff2, Roland SP202, SP404, SP505, RC505
Spectra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Spectra »

R.U.Nuts wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:51 am Those cheap USB wall warts you get with - for example- Smartphones are really crap. I have one or two on which you can already hear that whine coming out of the wall wart itself. :eek:
I also briefly had a Beatstep Pro which actually sent full on 50 Htz ground hum through all the CV and gate outputs when used with certain USB power plugs. So you probably can't blame the SQ 64 for this...
I'm using a USB wall adapter from 10 years ago from a defunct phone maker, HTC. It works fine. No noise. YMMV.
Underglow
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Underglow »

Headphones73 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:54 am So are these still worth getting or are they still buggy? I could use a MIDI/cv hub I can sequence, but someone here mentioned there were some issues. Haven’t had time to go through this post in awhile, but I figured it would be good to find out if Korg updated this lately.
In my experience, I would not describe it as buggy at all. There is a lot of configuration involved to get things up and running, but I guess that can be expected with such a device. It works as it ought to, though. And quite spectacularly, when it does.

It does feel…unfinished, perhaps. Full of untapped potential. But the device is still brand new, in the scheme of things. I have no doubt Korg will release an editor, which ought to level things up significantly. And from there we’ll see.

Also…it DEFINITELY works as a MIDI-to-CV device! I use it every day as such, both the melodic voices and the gate/trigger outs, to send MIDI through the SQ-64 to my modular.
jetkin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jetkin »

Is there any way to backup/restore projects to/from external storage?
Underglow
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Underglow »

jetkin wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:46 pm Is there any way to backup/restore projects to/from external storage?
Not until they release that darn editor. I’m just building sessions and hoping for the best.
jetkin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jetkin »

Underglow wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:48 pm
jetkin wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:46 pm Is there any way to backup/restore projects to/from external storage?
Not until they release that darn editor. I’m just building sessions and hoping for the best.
Thanks for the quick reply!

That's kind of scary...is the editor something Korg has announced? Is there anyplace I can read about it?
Luap
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luap »

^ The editor is mentioned briefly in the manual. I don't think I've seen it mentioned elsewhere though.
aethyr
Wiggling with Experience

Post by aethyr »

I really like my SQ64 and as mentioned previously, while there a few minor issues but for $250, you can't go wrong. $2-3k for a sequencer, no thank you!
Boneoh
Common Wiggler

Post by Boneoh »

Raphie wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:05 am ...
The other Bug I've found it erases always Part D, no matter which part you select, pressing shift + clear erases part D
This has been driving me crazy today!

I really like this SQ 64, but it's been a frustrating learning curve. Lots of great features, but also lots of quirks and more bugs than there should be.

There are a lot of good ideas in this thread, hope Korg is paying attention.

Another annoying thing is when I set the gate to zero, the LED stays red until I touch the pad again.

I'd like to see a quick save feature to save the current project without having to use the knob and keys.

Somehow I thought that pressing pads and shift and clear would clear the gate or pitch, but nothing happens.

Overall I give it a B, fixing the quirks and bugs would make it an A.

The manual is terrible, should be a lot longer with detailed step by step instructions. Someone at Korg that did not help develop this should have been involved in testing with only the manual, no questions to the devs and no internet.
Boneoh
Common Wiggler

Post by Boneoh »

joeSeggiola wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:51 am ...
❌ No way to send (or receive) a reset over CV. If you don't need the modulation track, you could reset it to zero and set a full value of 127 on the first step.

❌ Modulation CV is not sent for steps without active gate! I guess this have to do with the fact they thought of modulation mostly as velocity. This means you can't control, for example, a filter cutoff while a previous note rings, unless you extend the note with tied gates. This is mentioned in the manual, but I missed it at first look. There's room, I think, to add an option switch for that in firmware.
I'd like to see a setting in Global or Project where I can set the default Mod value. It's a small issue but I want to use the Mod CV for my filter cutoff. Resetting the Mod CV values to zero is just another step to remember, Shift + Param 1, but my memory is awful. I already had to look it up twice. It's been a long day coming up the learning curve, apologies for the rant.

Edit: Fixed to Param 1.

Return to “General Gear”