Korg SQ-64

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Eklektric
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Korg SQ-64

Post by Eklektric »

Anyone experiencing this problem when recording/sending out midi with the SQ-64? Anyone knows what the PPQN of this sequencer is?
Eklektric
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Eklektric »

I did some tests. Recorded a midi sequence from Ableton into the SQ-64, then played it back and recorded it back into Ableton. You can clearly see how the notes become shorter after recording them in the SQ-64 (I used the midi in and out)
DumbleDor
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DumbleDor »

Korg sq-64 us a Buggy Mess with no Editor Korg Sux!
Raphie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Raphie »

It is, I lost 3 months trying to give this thing a purpose in my setup. The workflow is the worst I've ever experienced. I'm back to my Squid actually making music.
Raphie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Raphie »

So I narrowed it down to 2 main issues for me:
1. you can not play any channels (live by key input) when in PLAY mode, only in stop or REC mode, this is useless, as you cannot rehearse before recording
2. The midi input (using external keyboard) plays all channels by default, the routing is broken, you would expect only to hear the channel that is highlighted (either A,B,C or D)
so you need to disable midi input for channels you don't want to hear, or want to overwrite while recording.

These 2 things are show stoppers for me. That's such basic behaviour than one would not expect for this NOT to work. This is ridiculous behaviour, how can this be overlooked?!?
If this is user error, pls explain where I go wrong?
Vow3ll
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Vow3ll »

Vow3ll wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:32 pm Got one today (latest firmware) and I really like it. And since I'm allergic to manuals, these helped with the broad-strokes.

Well, after the shiny new toy feeling wore off I'm hitting a lot of the limitations mentioned hereof, I don't see how this all couldn't be fixed via a re-write of the firmware and I've no idea why Korg is doing nothing. With the right software, this could be a must-have item given its size and hardware.

At the very least, they should release the development tools and let the community (looking at the Parasite people) fix them properly.
R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts »

Raphie wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:02 pm So I narrowed it down to 2 main issues for me:
1. you can not play any channels (live by key input) when in PLAY mode, only in stop or REC mode, this is useless, as you cannot rehearse before recording
2. The midi input (using external keyboard) plays all channels by default, the routing is broken, you would expect only to hear the channel that is highlighted (either A,B,C or D)
so you need to disable midi input for channels you don't want to hear, or want to overwrite while recording.

These 2 things are show stoppers for me. That's such basic behaviour than one would not expect for this NOT to work. This is ridiculous behaviour, how can this be overlooked?!?
If this is user error, pls explain where I go wrong?

1. I can use the keyboard on tracks A-C during playback. Make sure you change keyboard behavior from transpose to overwrite in the global menu.
2. You can assign any track to any MIDI channel. You can even assign a different channel for MIDI-in and MIDI-out for each track and you can assign them to any of the two physical output ports of the unit. It's all in the global menu. And It's even documented in the crappy manual. So you're lucky: It's user error :party:
Raphie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Raphie »

That’s not the problem. Most synths have either a setting for 1 out (often mirroring the in) or all out (sending 16 channels in parallel)
I know I can change the SQ-64 midi input to any channel, for each channel.
But if i make A 1, B 2, C 3, D 10, then that requires me to go back into the settings menu of my remote device to change the output to ch 1,2,3 or 10.
When I make all channels on the SQ inputs ch1, then they all record at the same time. (All channels are always armed)
The desired behavior would be a global midi in setting and only arming a channel by selecting it (like any other hardware sequencer)
Ofcourse I can either change the midi out on my remote device, or dissable the midi ins for the SQ tracks I don’t want to record, but that’s extremely tedious and cumbersome.
But you are right, it’s by design and not a bug, it’s just an idiotic choice, being a workflow killer.
Ishkash
Common Wiggler

Post by Ishkash »

I can't quite put my finger on it, but I can't shake the feeling (and I'll be the first to admit that I may very well be wrong on this one) that Korg has a sleeper hit with the SQ-64. Even with its limitations at firmware build 1.01, it is (IMO) tremendously elegant and capable, though certainly not a jack of all trades. That FILL knob alone...God, in the heat of the beat, I could ride that thing for hours. It's really well done.

Worst case scenario, Korg irons out a couple of niggles/feature requests so as not to entirely ruin the legacy of the device, and leaves the SQ-64 to rot, in which case I'd say it was worth the initial investment, for which I'll almost certainly get back most of the sum, when I level up to the next sequencer up the food chain. Some of you more experienced sequencerists (sequencisists?) may find the SQ-64 to be small potatoes...I myself have already learned quite a bit on it and continue to grow with it, albeit within certain limitations.

ON THE OTHER HAND! I just noticed today that the price of the SQ-64 has raised from $299 to $329, at least here in the US. So I start to wonder...maybe Korg's got a master plan here...version 1.1 next year for example...then version 2.0 perhaps 3-5 years down the line...all the while slyly positioning the device upmarket, which, IMO, would be perfectly appropriate if Korg really did start to add some killer features.

OR that price hike is just 2021 “COVID Tax”. That would be shitty.

Eh, a fella can dream.
"It’s much easier to be done than to be satisfied." ~ Bruce Swedien
boonie
Common Wiggler

Post by boonie »

Ishkash wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:37 am
Worst case scenario, Korg irons out a couple of niggles/feature requests so as not to entirely ruin the legacy of the device, and leaves the SQ-64 to rot,
With Korg's track record that's more like a best case scenario.
u0421793
Common Wiggler

Post by u0421793 »

boonie wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:08 pm
Ishkash wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:37 am
Worst case scenario, Korg irons out a couple of niggles/feature requests so as not to entirely ruin the legacy of the device, and leaves the SQ-64 to rot,
With Korg's track record that's more like a best case scenario.
…starring Tom Cruise
behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy »

i thought THREE. WORD. MOVIE TITLE was Seagal's wheelhouse?

yeah. i wanted to like the SQ-64. but soooooo many problems. i, also, have zero faith Korg will address them in a timely manner.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy
Raphie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Raphie »

Stop mode > midi in works
Play mode > midi in doesn’t work
Rec arm mode > midi in doesn’t work (why do even have this mode? It’s the same as playing)
Rec mode > midi in works
You can not simply rehearse a rif, of noodle over what you are already happy with, with this thing. Korg UAT sucks bigtime. I can’t even remotely imagine how these bugs passed QA testing.
This could potentially be a great handson tactile sequencer, now it’s a nice paper press.
Rollo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Rollo »

Keyboard playing works fine in play mode, set global setting to “override”. MIDI in is broken, no way to have a controller simply follow each active track. How that got past testing is unreal. No global quantize? Wtf? This thing has the potential to be a solid tool but dang, talk about half baked. Oh yeah, the manual is a joke as well. Someone dropped the ball over at Korg.
Rollo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Rollo »

Pattern mode, launching a pattern on one track makes the track below it lose it’s light status making it look blank. Stopping play resets it. :razz:
Scrog1er
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Scrog1er »

Anyone aware of any chatter about timeline for firmware updates?
Luap
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luap »

^ Going on their past history of soft/firmware updates, I'd be surprised to see a 1.0.2 update or similar. They are more likely to go straight to a bigger V2 update, as they've done with other gear recently.
Its anyones guess really though! :despair:
Spectra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Spectra »

Hey. I have one of these too! I love reading long complaint threads about gear that I am happily using. Please carry on...

Tell me more about how I can't make music with it while I make music with it. /s

It does have some bugs though. More than acceptable for any company. Especially Korg. They haven't sold a lot of them. My serial is around 1000. Bought it a couple months ago. Not selling. Finding it to be a fun and useful buggy toy.
artilect99
Common Wiggler

Post by artilect99 »

Damn on paper the SQ64 looks amazing, but after reading through this thread I don't know what to think. I'm trying to keep track of everything that's broken, or doesn't work like one would expect:

the "arp" is more like a chiptune chord ratcheting thing;
there's no quantize record;
it won't route midi through to your devices while the sequencer is playing (e.g. from midi keyboard);
you can't use a master keyboard as MIDI input without recording to all the tracks simultaneously (or going thru and manually changing the midi input channel settings);
there's no step record, only real-time or note-by-note "data-entry" style...

is all that true? I keep thinking I must be misunderstanding, because all that sounds... stupid. I need a polyphonic sequencer (but not necessarily 3 tracks worth)... should I stay away from the SQ-64?
WTB - DOD FX45, ROCKTRON PROCHORUS
Spectra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Spectra »

Instead of focusing on what it currently doesn't do, try to focus on what it does do well. My SQ64 syncs perfectly with Ableton. I can set up 4 bar loops and let it run for an hour. The sync remains rock solid. Grid style programming is easy and it works fine. I'm using it to sequence midi and CV simultaneously. Real time recording is not important. Playing notes with a keyboard while the sequencer is running is not important. I don't need them to make music.

Where else are you gonna find a 64 step 16x4 midi and cv sequencer for $300? You aren't. It's a great value for the money even with all the missing features and bugs.
oozitron
solder fume huffer

Post by oozitron »

Spectra wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:02 am Where else are you gonna find a 64 step 16x4 midi and cv sequencer for $300? You aren't. It's a great value for the money even with all the missing features and bugs.
If you are into a little DIY... I built my MIDIBox Sequencer V4 for $400.
Basically 16 sequencers (tracks), each 256 steps long
each with its own length, clock division, direction, etc etc etc
each can be a note (up to 8 notes in a track) sequence, a drum sequence, a CC (with up to 16 CC seqs) track or a Chord track
ANYTHING can be changed while playing
Save everything. Machine holds 64 x 16 tracks in memory, endless supply on SD card
I built mine with 4 MIDI outs, 2 MIDI ins, 16 trigger outs and 8 CV/Gate pairs.

For me it's a dream come true.
Drew
Never want to come down, never want to put my feet back down on the ground
artilect99
Common Wiggler

Post by artilect99 »

Spectra wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:02 am Real time recording is not important. Playing notes with a keyboard while the sequencer is running is not important. I don't need them to make music.
I'm happy for you that the SQ64 lines up so well with your needs. However I still want to know exactly what I'm buying. It seems to do a lot of stuff that's unique, and it also uniquely DOESN'T do a lot of stuff that almost every other sequencer does -- or does it in some bizarre way -- that I had to dig to find out about.

Nevertheless I'm still considering it, because like you said, price vs. what it does. But in order to do that calculation I need to know exactly what it does and what it doesn't do.
WTB - DOD FX45, ROCKTRON PROCHORUS
mixxalot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mixxalot »

Hopefully the improve it as would love one to go with a future full size MS20 and ARP 2600 synth.
Boneoh
Common Wiggler

Post by Boneoh »

Spectra wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:02 am ...
Grid style programming is easy and it works fine.
Where else are you gonna find a 64 step 16x4 midi and cv sequencer for $300? You aren't. It's a great value for the money even with all the missing features and bugs.
The grid style would be a better fit for me, I'm very slow with the keyboard. The SQ-64 is on my 'want to buy' list now!
TJontheRoad
Common Wiggler

Post by TJontheRoad »

I've had my SQ-64 for almost a couple weeks now and used it on a few sessions while clocked to Pamala's New Workout + Erica Synths Black Sequencer. Despite some bugs and quirks, I do like the workflow except the note input could improve. The screen could also offer more real time feedback. OTOH, the drum track is very intuitive and the timing is solid. I like to see a random note/pattern generator implemented like what is on the Black Sequencer.

Overall, the firmware does feel like a beta release. Come on Korg!!! You can do us better. I do think SQ-64 could be a classic box with just a bit more attention. I'm keeping mine in hopes you come through.

Return to “General Gear”