Korg SQ-64

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Naga
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Korg SQ-64

Post by Naga »

Hi Folks, I am thinking about getting one of these and making a case so it can sit in my Eurorack. I will work out some way of bringing the sockets on the back up through the case so they are usable. I was wondering if anyone has done or has an idea of what little circuit I would need to make to use my Eurorack power supply busboard as the power for this, happy to run it with the lowest power requirements, like the 500ma usb option? Cheers, D
weldp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by weldp »

My configuration looks like (I'm using a 6 port MIDI thru box):

A: MIDI 1 CH 1 - Moog Matriarch
B: MIDI 1 CH 2 - Korg Minilogue Xd
C: MIDI 1 CH 3 - Korg Volca FM
D: MIDI 1 CH 4 - Roland TR-6S

Subtracks D1-6 are also on CH4 TX out with the instrument tracks mapped to the Roland's MIDI notes

Individually muted every track plays fine, but I can hear the TR-6S playing underneath tracks A, B, and C whenever they play the same MIDI note in their sequence. Track D solo sounds as expected as well. I'm assuming I can probably fix this with another TRS to MIDI out and dumping the drums all onto MIDI OUT 2, but I feel like this should work.
Does the MIDI RX on the TR-6S have a setting for Omni channel? My Bitbox has this feature so it will play the notes from any MIDI channel. Try setting MIDI RX to CH 4?
Last edited by weldp on Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joeSeggiola
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joeSeggiola »

Naga wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:15 pm Hi Folks, I am thinking about getting one of these and making a case so it can sit in my Eurorack. I will work out some way of bringing the sockets on the back up through the case so they are usable. I was wondering if anyone has done or has an idea of what little circuit I would need to make to use my Eurorack power supply busboard as the power for this, happy to run it with the lowest power requirements, like the 500ma usb option? Cheers, D
SQ-64 DC IN is 9V, I would use a regulator from +12V and hijack that instead of 5V 500mA USB, which wouldn't be enough to set full display and LEDs brightness, for example. If you're happy with that anyway, I think you can just wire Eurorack 5V power and GND to the USB connector on SQ-64 and you're good to go. That's what a I did to power my old SQ-1 with the modular.
Boneoh
Common Wiggler

Post by Boneoh »

My biggest complaint after over a month of using the SQ-64 is the pitiful manual. :help:

Can someone explain to me how the Pattern mode and Chain mode work? I really need a step-by-step example to learn this from.
R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts »

Boneoh wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:03 pm My biggest complaint after over a month of using the SQ-64 is the pitiful manual. :help:

Can someone explain to me how the Pattern mode and Chain mode work? I really need a step-by-step example to learn this from.
Oh Yeah. I asked that question before and nobody could give me a clue. In the mean time Korg released some tutorial videos and guess what? They're equally useless as the manual :doh:
Pattern chain mode is basically not working simply because there's no sufficient documentation on it. :doh:
Boneoh
Common Wiggler

Post by Boneoh »

R.U.Nuts wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:50 pm
Boneoh wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:03 pm My biggest complaint after over a month of using the SQ-64 is the pitiful manual. :help:

Oh Yeah. I asked that question before and nobody could give me a clue. In the mean time Korg released some tutorial videos and guess what? They're equally useless as the manual :doh:
Pattern chain mode is basically not working simply because there's no sufficient documentation on it. :doh:
Thanks for the feedback. It's frustrating, I really do like this device. I used to have a KeyStep, the manual is about 70 pages with instructions for every feature. Korg should get a clue, their manual is about 13 pages with about 3 pages of charts.
unexpectedbowtie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by unexpectedbowtie »

I am so curious about the SQ-64, but everything I've seen early on was negative. Is that still the case at this point with bugs and tuning weirdness etc?
Boneoh
Common Wiggler

Post by Boneoh »

unexpectedbowtie wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:15 pm I am so curious about the SQ-64, but everything I've seen early on was negative. Is that still the case at this point with bugs and tuning weirdness etc?
I believe that the tuning issue was fixed in the latest firmware update. I really like this device, but the lack of anything close to adequate documentation is frustrating, a real bummer. :bang:

I'm not a sophisticated user by any means, so take it with a grain of salt.

The only bug that I'm aware is that when using the SHIFT+CLEAR button to clear a track, it always clears track D even when you select A, B, or C.

I'd like a few enhancements.

1. Press and Hold SHIFT key for 3-5 seconds will leave the device in the Playback mode so you can mute tracks, change track timings, track playback order, etc. without needing to press SHIFT. Press SHIFT again to return to normal mode.

2. Ability to set default MOD values in the settings somewhere. The default is 127. I use the MOD for filter cutoff, etc. so it's a pain to go change every step value.

3. Add a "Quick Save" function to one of the Bar buttons. Currently you need to press PROJECT, turn the dial to SAVE, press the pad for the appropriate project slot, then press 1 to confirm. Would be nice to press one button to save the unsaved changes to the current project.
joeSeggiola
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joeSeggiola »

Boneoh wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:28 pm The only bug that I'm aware is that when using the SHIFT+CLEAR button to clear a track, it always clears track D even when you select A, B, or C.
That's because there's no "CLEAR button". The CLEAR label refers to the column of buttons (as the other similarly placed labels do). So, to clear any track, you have to press SHIFT and the corresponding track button in the CLEAR column. That's true for the other SHIFT features too.

Nice wishlist, I agree on all three suggestions.
Spectra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Spectra »

Thank goodness Joe is paying attention here.
R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts »

unexpectedbowtie wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:15 pm I am so curious about the SQ-64, but everything I've seen early on was negative. Is that still the case at this point with bugs and tuning weirdness etc?
There are three types of negativity I suppose:

1. Bug reports. Most of them are taken care of by firmware upgrades AFAIK.
2. Crappy manual. No change.
3. People complainig about the device not having this or that feature. I for example wish you could do realtime recording on the drum track the same as you can do on tracks A-C.

Overall I think It's kinda great and outperforms the competition AKA Beatstep Pro. But there's still lots of room for improvement which will hopefully occur in future updates.
pseudospaceman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pseudospaceman »

Boneoh wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:28 pm 1. Press and Hold SHIFT key for 3-5 seconds will leave the device in the Playback mode so you can mute tracks, change track timings, track playback order, etc. without needing to press SHIFT. Press SHIFT again to return to normal mode.
Would love this!
DumbleDor
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DumbleDor »

Could be So much better than it is currently!
BentPot
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BentPot »

Does anyone know if the SQ-64 sends a run/start signal via it’s MIDI port when syncing it via Analog Clock sync?

I have seen few devices claim they accept and translate Analog Clock to MIDI Clock - but they leave out the most important part, sending the Transport signal to start the slaved device!

Can anyone please let me know if this is possible with the SQ-64?
Spectra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Spectra »

I could try this, but it would be a hassle. Korg knows the answer.
Boneoh
Common Wiggler

Post by Boneoh »

BentPot wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:31 am Does anyone know if the SQ-64 sends a run/start signal via it’s MIDI port when syncing it via Analog Clock sync?

I have seen few devices claim they accept and translate Analog Clock to MIDI Clock - but they leave out the most important part, sending the Transport signal to start the slaved device!

Can anyone please let me know if this is possible with the SQ-64?
I'm not sure if I understand the question. I just tried a test with my SQ-64 and Volca Beats. I use the SQ-64 as the clock and normally run a patch cable from the SQ-64 Sync Out to the Beats Sync In. All works well when sending the MIDI to the Beats. But if I unplug the Sync cable from the Beats, it doesn't work right. I suspect that this is more to do with the Beats design than the MIDI implementation in the SQ-64. :hmm:
BentPot
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BentPot »

[/quote]
I'm not sure if I understand the question. :hmm:
[/quote]

What I meant was this:

If you plug in the Analog Sync output from Volca #1 into the Analog Sync Input on the SQ-64, will Volca #2’s sequencer start when you hit Play on Volca #1?

Volca #2 MUST be attached to a 3.5mm-to-5-pin DIN dongle on the MIDI Output of the SQ-64.

This lets me know if the Korg SQ-64 can act as a true Analog Clock to MIDI Clock Converter - All other converters fail at sending the initial Run/Start message that is supposed to start the slaved sequencer of the MIDI device.

Failing to send the initial Run/Start message means that, although the converter is doing its job, anything slaved to it will be shifted with a delay due to having to start the slaved device manually.

Thanks for taking the time to check this for me!

(The device I’m referring to btw is a Retrokits RK-004 - it doesn’t actually do what I thought it claimed it can do)
zollenz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by zollenz »

BentPot wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:50 pmWhat I meant was this:

If you plug in the Analog Sync output from Volca #1 into the Analog Sync Input on the SQ-64, will Volca #2’s sequencer start when you hit Play on Volca #1?
I was working with a similar setup a while ago (LXR-01 sending analog clock to SQ-64 sending MIDI clock to DB-01). IIRC it was working but I feel like there was some fiddling with the DB-01 sync but TBH I can't remember exactly what it was. Would have to test this scenario again to be sure and I can't do that until next week. And of course you still have to reset and arm the SQ-64 for the analog sync input after every stop.
BentPot
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BentPot »

zollenz wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:16 am

I was working with a similar setup a while ago (LXR-01 sending analog clock to SQ-64 sending MIDI clock to DB-01). IIRC it was working but I feel like there was some fiddling with the DB-01 sync but TBH I can't remember exactly what it was. Would have to test this scenario again to be sure and I can't do that until next week. And of course you still have to reset and arm the SQ-64 for the analog sync input after every stop.
Thanks for the input!

I’m asking this question because I’m interested in using analog clock to clock an MIDI device.

My ideal set-up would be:

Boss DR-55 —> (SQ-64) —> Roland MC-202

The SQ-64 doesn’t output DinSync of course, but I have MIDI clock to DinSync converter… so I need to make sure the SQ-64 takes care of the “hard-to-accomplish” conversion.

Buying the SQ-64 just for this will seem like a waste, but that’s my main interest… using it to convert analog clock to MIDI clock.

I will also use it as intended though; but only if it’s able to do this conversion. If not, I may not get it.
MOOSEKNUCKLE
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MOOSEKNUCKLE »

BentPot wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:58 pm
zollenz wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:16 am

Thanks for the input!

I’m asking this question because I’m interested in using analog clock to clock an MIDI device.

My ideal set-up would be:

Boss DR-55 —> (SQ-64) —> Roland MC-202

The SQ-64 doesn’t output DinSync of course, but I have MIDI clock to DinSync converter… so I need to make sure the SQ-64 takes care of the “hard-to-accomplish” conversion.

Buying the SQ-64 just for this will seem like a waste, but that’s my main interest… using it to convert analog clock to MIDI clock.

I will also use it as intended though; but only if it’s able to do this conversion. If not, I may not get it.
Roland SBX-1 > Kenton Thru products + modular synth works for me.

Return to “General Gear”