Korg SQ-64

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Korg SQ-64

Post by behndy » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:50 am

whether Dumbles agrees or disagrees with you, i think their point was this is ModWiggler, not KORGWiggler. you're probably not going to change anything by repeating the same thing over and over here.

contact Korg. or be vocal on one of their forums. that seems a better avenue to address problems you'd like fixed?
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

Ishkash
Common Wiggler

Post by Ishkash » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:44 am

Just return it and get your money back :75:

Plenty of happy customers including myself.
My precious (in progress, obv....so quit ripping on me, you elitist jerks 😋): https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1514020

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:41 pm

still haven't had a chance to run mines (the Erica Drum and Black Seqs are DISTRACTING), but can confirm, at least for me, that it is WAY brighter with the power supply than powered over USB. i tried two different powered hubs, about twice as bright with the PSU.

badboy10000000
Learning to Wiggle

Post by badboy10000000 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:35 pm

computer controlled wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:22 am
MIDI from the SQ is hitting Ableton an octave lower
I have a couple other pieces of gear like this, Roland TR-8S comes to mind. Seems to be a different idea of midi note C0 in Japanese brands maybe

DumbleDor
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DumbleDor » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:59 am

Enjoy your Myocarditis onset and be happy with that! Hurry Up Korg with your Pathetic Firmware no shows, Release the Editor as was Stated!

iamlov3d@yahoo.com
1-Post Wiggler

Sounds like MIDI OMNI MODE

Post by iamlov3d@yahoo.com » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:54 am

I just got my SQ-64… I recorded a beat on my volca sample (pajen firmware) in track D I go to track A and change it to midi channel 16 for my opsix (I am not using 16 on the volca) Why is my opsix playing the kick? I have tried everything and it seems like every track is picking up what I have done on track D (no matter what Midi channel I set it to) HELP PLEASE i can’t be the only one experiencing this right? This is been a very difficult thing to figure out even making a simple beat on track D has been super challenging.

Ishkash
Common Wiggler

Post by Ishkash » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:00 pm

DumbleDor wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:59 am
Enjoy your Myocarditis onset and be happy with that! Hurry Up Korg with your Pathetic Firmware no shows, Release the Editor as was Stated!
Hey Dumbodor, I’m not the one with the broken heart here ;) in fact I enjoy every moment with this device.

Patience, young man…patience. Learn it and nurture it…it will serve you well.
My precious (in progress, obv....so quit ripping on me, you elitist jerks 😋): https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1514020

DYG
1-Post Wiggler

Post by DYG » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:41 pm

badboy10000000 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:55 pm
Anyone else having any issues with probability per step? I have a very simple sequence on a Sub-D track right now, 16 steps, 2 are active, one is at 100% prob and the other is at 5%. The 5% step is triggering 2 loops in a row out of every 4 loops. Using 8th inch trigger output to modular. I remedied it by using the gate output of an unused sequence. I got expected probability behavior after that. But now I'm wondering if the drum track has some probability breaking bug. That combined with sub-D tracks all being the same length makes this a pretty lacking drum sequencer imo but im enjoying using it in tandem with my BSP.

Anyone experience anything similar or have an idea of some settings i goofed up or something?

I'm experiencing exactly the same behavior. A step on a Sub-D track at 5% probability triggering for 2 cycles in a row every 4 cycles.
I get recurring trigger patterns at other percentages too, 3 out of every 4 cycles at 20% for example.
It's like it's mimicking the 'alternate' settings under the same probability option.

Really hope it'll be fixed in a future update.

I'm having a good time with this machine. Bought one a couple of days ago and must say its immediacy is inspiring.
But it's a shame and very frustrating when you go in to dial something in and it doesn't work the way it should.

And like many others, fingers are crossed that variable lengths for the sub-D tracks will be added.
It would add a ton of depth to an already feature-rich sequencer in this price range.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:49 pm

a better manual would be GOOD.

there must be a way to get the D lane to output notes on a MIDI channel? to use it as a drum sequencer into Live or a hardware drum machine without the gates out being connected?

never mind. figured this one out.

EDIT -

also, running the gates out into a Nord Drum 2, i'm getting 2 gate hits per step. any idea what i'm doing wrong?

EDIT EDIT -

okayyyyyyy. i get single hits if the length is at 15% or lower, double at any other length. that's... odd. and kind of annoying.

EDIT EDIT EDIT -

durp. i need to set the gates out to triggers. how does one do this?

i went to Global, pressed D, then tried all three options (listed in the manual as "---, V-Trig, S-Trig" at 5 and 10 volts. still getting double hits if the length of the gate is at anything more than 15%.

can't find a way to have a short trigger.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:26 am

yeah. it's a fun little drum sequencer, but like it more for melodic stuff actually. tried every combo of gate out options, only works with Nord 2 with it lower than 15% gate length. i am NOT trying to have to do that for every hit.

have a Toraiz Squid on the way to trade spots with this booper. might keep it for the melodics though.

going into Live it's a great starting point for putting a melody together.

my favorite thing to do is make a more staccato melodic pattern on A, record some longer notes on B, then a mix of both on C, play with different pattern lengths on B and C while A stays steady.

DrVecctor
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DrVecctor » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:39 am

Hi!

I am having two questions about the SQ 64 and the manual is really not a great help. Hoping that somebody can help:

First, I am not able to delete/clear pitches I have entered for a step. Sure I can turn off the gate, but the pitch information remains intact.
This is very annoying when I accidentaly entered more than one pitch for a step, even when using CV, because then I have to make sure that the actual pitch I want to be played is lower than the "garbage pitch". When editing pitches for a step, there is no entry in the list that says "-". I tried to use the clear button, but it doesn't work for single steps, only for the whole pattern/track. This will clear all pitches for all steps, but that's not what I want.

Second, I do not understand why some parameters are marked with an asterisk/star/* sometimes. It happens for example when turning a gate off and on again or when (unsuccessfully) trying to clear a single step with (step button)+(shift)+(clear for corresponding track)... As far as I can tell, the "manual" does not mention this asterisk at all....

Many thanks in advance!

joeSeggiola
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joeSeggiola » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:10 am

DrVecctor wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:39 am
Hi!
The asterisk is shown in all cases when the parameter value shown on the display is not the same for all the selected steps. For example, if you set a step length to 50% and the following to 75%, then press both steps buttons, you'll see the asterisk (and if you move the corresponding knob, both will be changed).

I don't remember if it's possible to clear single notes, I'll tell you when I get back home (if no one else does before).

DrVecctor
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DrVecctor » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:54 am

Thanks joeSeggiola, I found the solution on "sequencer.de" (in German):
In order to reduce the number of pitches, one has to (without realtime recording) go into keyboard mode, press the respective step button, then play the desired number of keys.

On another topic: I am not aware what exactly the resync problems were with firmware 1.0 since I started working with firmware 1.01, but I am encountering still:
It appears that in order to resync an out of sync track (let's assume all other tracks are in sync), one has to press resync for that track exactly at the right moment (which is not what I expected from this feature, I am not dexterous enough, I am not a drummer lol).
When I do that, at the right moment, the track will stay in sync for a moment, but for some reason, after reaching the end of the pattern it will go out of sync again.

Actually this happens when polyrythm is OFF. As long as polyrythm is ON, it will stay in sync. So it appears that when polyrithm is OFF, the software "reverts" the resync at the end of the pattern. Hope this will get fixed soon...

Return to “General Gear”