Korg SQ-64

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

joeSeggiola
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Korg SQ-64

Post by joeSeggiola » Mon May 03, 2021 8:45 am

kinkujin wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:11 am
It seems that issues are being ironed out with firmware, eh?
Not really. They fixed the biggest issue (tracks synchronization in PATTERN mode) recently. Some (eg. SonicState) says it's not really 100% fixed, but I didn't manage to reproduce the issue anymore... The rest of bugs described in this thread, and especially the obvious missing features (eg. automatic tempo-quantization, transposition with external keyboard, etc) are still there, and we have no news of incoming updates. For me that's not a deal-breaker, but if these features are essential for you (check the thread for a complete list) I suggest you to wait for an actual fix...

kinkujin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by kinkujin » Mon May 03, 2021 8:49 am

joeSeggiola wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:45 am
kinkujin wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:11 am
It seems that issues are being ironed out with firmware, eh?
Not really. They fixed the biggest issue (tracks synchronization in PATTERN mode) recently. Some (eg. SonicState) says it's not really 100% fixed, but I didn't manage to reproduce the issue anymore... The rest of bugs described in this thread, and especially the obvious missing features (eg. automatic tempo-quantization, transposition with external keyboard, etc) are still there, and we have no news of incoming updates. For me that's not a deal-breaker, but if these features are essential for you (check the thread for a complete list) I suggest you to wait for an actual fix...
Ugh. Thanks Joe. I guess I wait some more.

Ishkash
Common Wiggler

Post by Ishkash » Tue May 04, 2021 4:54 pm

OK, now Anderton's UK has updated its new ship date to the start of June! Which means I guess I can expect the same here in the US... :doh:

To any of you wigglers in the above areas or beyond...where did/are you scoring yours?

I'm just aching to start with it! The more I learn about it, the more I believe I will be a very happy customer.

EDIT: I appear to have struck gold. Quick, Western wigglers, quick!!! Pitbull Electronics in National City, CA are stocking 5 Korg SQ-64s. Actually, 4 as of just a minute ago. The company's tech support confirmed that the units are in stock and ready to ship.
Last edited by Ishkash on Tue May 04, 2021 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My precious (in progress, obv....so quit ripping on me, you elitist jerks 😋): https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1514020

electricfence
Veteran Wiggler

Post by electricfence » Tue May 04, 2021 4:59 pm

My Sweetwater rep suggested that they will be receiving a shipment any day now. I think I preordered in February. Maybe try there.

Guillem
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Guillem » Wed May 05, 2021 6:10 am

Guillem wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 4:36 am
Hello,

I have a problem, I would like to be able to play in real time, but this option is only possible if SQ-64 is in STOP in keyboard mode, the idea would be to be able to play in real time on the other tracks without having to record the sequence.

Any ideas?

Thanks
I found the answer.

In global settings, (a13) keyboard behavior, override (by default is setting in transpose mode)

onlyHzwhenI...
Common Wiggler

Post by onlyHzwhenI... » Sat May 08, 2021 6:20 pm

joeSeggiola wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 7:06 am
Arnie wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 12:42 pm
Does 2 midi-outs mean you can connect only 2 midi-instruments, such as Volcas? Or can you connect more using different midi channels?
If your instruments have MIDI Thru ports, you can chain them and just use different MIDI channels for each one of them (SQ-64 is easy to configure for this use case). This way the instruments will respond to their MIDI channel and pass the rest along the MIDI Thru port for the other ones.

Edit: and yes, if more than two of your instruments does not have MIDI Thru, you'll need a MIDI router or splitter box, as Headphones73 said.
Anybody know if the 3.5mm TRS midi from the SQ-64 can be split passively by using a TRS --> multi-TRS headphone splitter, then fed to several hungry Volcas via several type A midi dongles?
Last edited by onlyHzwhenI... on Sat May 08, 2021 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ishkash
Common Wiggler

Post by Ishkash » Sat May 08, 2021 7:39 pm

It's a marvelous bit of gear. I love it. I'm using it via USB-MIDI for now, to learn the basics and set up DAW interconnection, before I inject its brainpower into the modular. That will surely be a jaw-droppingly happy day.

It can be a bit confusing, even maddening, at first. The manual is indeed long on reference but woefully short on practical tutorial. It is almost as if Korg is pushing this towards more advanced users, that notion reinforced by a UX that is highly sophisticated, if a bit inaccessible. Yet...the price point is SO accessible! Hats off to them for raising the bar in that regard (IMO).

It's smaller than I thought (in a good way). Solid though, like a little bulldog. Damn sexy (IMO).

I've got serial # 000917. That's a lot of zeroes (though I realize one can't always tell how these serials are coded). I believe Korg is looking to make a sizable mark with this one, and I do anticipate significant firmware upgrades over the next 5 years.

I could be disappointed in that regard. But for now I'm very happy.

+1!
My precious (in progress, obv....so quit ripping on me, you elitist jerks 😋): https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1514020

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Tue May 11, 2021 1:04 pm

hurm. was batting back and forth about canceling my order and.... Control just sent a shipped email.

i have huge lusts for the No Announced Date Korg drum machine coming up, curious about the SQ with that.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

Ishkash
Common Wiggler

Post by Ishkash » Tue May 11, 2021 7:47 pm

Is anybody else having trouble pitch-sequencing their CV gear? I'm using Track A to juice my Minitaur...gate is transmitting fine...but pitch seems hopelessly bugged. I can't figure out if I'm missing something in config, or have encountered a MADDENING bug...

I'm pretty sure the problem is not on my Minitaur's end, since I am still able to "play" it from a MIDI keyboard, with pitch intact.

But the SQ's pitch sequencer is being shady as hell. Changing step pitch...basically does nothing? It was working for a few minutes when I started...sort of.

But now, changing pitch seems to do nothing. At all. Its super erratic. It's only playing back two notes...I believe they're D1, alternated with the Minitaur's highest note (C5). Or something along those lines.

Using the "Test Output" function" also only gives me the same two notes.

WTF?

I noticed that calibrating for +1V & +4V in the Minitaur Editor fixes the problem. But as soon as I reset the SQ-64...pitch control is gone...and I'm back just two notes.

As Walter once said to Donnie...I'm out of my element. Perhaps one of you higher-level wigglers has a clue what's going on here.

EDIT: I don't seem to have this problem in USB-MIDI mode. Only when using the analog outs. They just don't appear to work (on the pitch channel). I feel like I may have heard about this problem in one of the early review videos, though I can't remember which (edit: nah, this is different). Definitely maddening...unless I am missing something (and I hope I am).
Last edited by Ishkash on Tue May 11, 2021 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard deHove
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Richard deHove » Tue May 11, 2021 8:05 pm

Ishkash wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:47 pm
Is anybody else having trouble pitch-sequencing their CV gear?
Have you set the correct voltage value for the CV pitch track output? (Page 20 in the manual) Or at least tried changing it to see if it makes any difference.

Ishkash
Common Wiggler

Post by Ishkash » Tue May 11, 2021 8:18 pm

Richard deHove wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:05 pm
Ishkash wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:47 pm
Is anybody else having trouble pitch-sequencing their CV gear?
Have you set the correct voltage value for the CV pitch track output? (Page 20 in the manual) Or at least tried changing it to see if it makes any difference.
Thanks for your response, Richard. Looping back to the manual as you mentioned, are you referring to the voltage bias setting, or the reference note setting? Adjusting the voltage bias seems not to make the slightest difference to anything. Adjusting the "reference note" (and I still don't even know exactly what that refers to) also doesn't seem to remedy anything at all. At one point, I noticed that setting the reference note to C5 (the highest playable pitch on the Minitaur) seemed to unlock the full range of notes. But I still don't know how that works or what it refers to. Either way, neither setting seems to address the issue. It's almost as if the pitch CV out is totally broken.

pmboos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Tue May 11, 2021 8:21 pm

behndy wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 1:04 pm
hurm. was batting back and forth about canceling my order and.... Control just sent a shipped email.

i have huge lusts for the No Announced Date Korg drum machine coming up, curious about the SQ with that.
There is a new Korg Drum Machine coming out?
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Tue May 11, 2021 9:16 pm

apparently there is an AWFUL preview vid for it. it looks like a super Volca but with samples and such.

https://djmag.com/news/korg-teases-new- ... um-machine

Ishkash
Common Wiggler

Post by Ishkash » Tue May 11, 2021 9:32 pm

Update from my earlier post (if anyone cares, hehe) - after hooking the SQ-64 up to my modular, it would appear the fault does indeed lie in the Minitaur. My preliminary research indicates that getting proper CV pitch control over it is tricky. I'm going to have to dig deeper and/or contact Moog.

Korg, you're off the hook for now :D

Ishkash
Common Wiggler

Post by Ishkash » Tue May 11, 2021 10:13 pm

Last post about this, promise:

I fixed it. SQ-64 + Minitaur owners: you have to calibrate pitch at +1V and +4V, using the reference note on the SQ-64 as a base, and the SQ-64 test outs to send the signal for both +1 and +4V (C1-C4, for example - the reference note being C1). All this with Moog's editor software, of course. You probably already knew this...I myself did not.

Happy wigglin'.
Last edited by Ishkash on Wed May 12, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Ishkash
Common Wiggler

Post by Ishkash » Wed May 12, 2021 10:21 am

OK, well...here's another problem.

Global MIDI assignments on Track D don't appear to be saved with the unit. I have to re-configure the note assignments every time I power the unit on. The global settings for the melodic tracks appear to save and recall properly upon exiting the Global menu...but not for Track D.

EDIT: Solved that one too. SOLUTION: can't have a single overlapping MIDI assignment. If you do, nothing is saved.

See, this is the kind of picayune crap they should have explained in the manual. Too much trial and error for the new user. Supercilious if you ask me.

Whatever. As long as it works.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Wed May 12, 2021 2:40 pm

thanks for all the problem solving tricks!

i have a soft spot for Korg loot. when i was a kicken and couldna afford anything i scraped and saved until i could grab an og Electribe M (during their first release cycle). i dived into EVERY inch of that thing. Korg has always been a bit idiosyncratic about their device interfaces, so went through all the trial and error to get comfy with every way they meant it to be used and all the little things i don't think they planned on.

being before there was a real, accessible to everyone, broadly adopted enough internet that niche but verbosely helpful sites weren't a thing, it would have been nice to have pointers.

pmboos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Wed May 12, 2021 5:13 pm

behndy wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:16 pm

apparently there is an AWFUL preview vid for it. it looks like a super Volca but with samples and such.

https://djmag.com/news/korg-teases-new- ... um-machine
I wouldn't call it awful; it's just not awesome. I'm guessing they are still working on the full sound palette for it. I hope they pull some of the sounds forward from the M1 library (I think it was...). They had castenets, cabasas, tablas, guiros, log drums, gongs, bells, and so many other great instruments. Seems a shame not to pack those into a hybrid. I hope they also provide an ability to reverse the sound. I love that about my Sequential Tom (what a great drum machine...).
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

echologist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by echologist » Fri May 14, 2021 11:38 am

Just received mine a few days ago. It’s pretty cool so far… I do have a question though: if I want to create a random sequence from scratch on track A, how do I do that? Is it possible? The manual offers up very little on this I think… It would be a damn shame if it isnt 🤨

Ishkash
Common Wiggler

Post by Ishkash » Sat May 15, 2021 1:03 pm

echologist wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 11:38 am
Just received mine a few days ago. It’s pretty cool so far… I do have a question though: if I want to create a random sequence from scratch on track A, how do I do that? Is it possible? The manual offers up very little on this I think… It would be a damn shame if it isnt 🤨

Yes you can. When Track A is selected, holding Shift + Pad A-8 will randomize the order of the sequence (or reverse, bounce, or stochasticize it on the neighboring pads). You still have to write the notes though!

echologist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by echologist » Sun May 16, 2021 12:14 pm

Got ya! Thanks for this 🙏🍻
Ishkash wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 1:03 pm
echologist wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 11:38 am

Yes you can. When Track A is selected, holding Shift + Pad A-8 will randomize the order of the sequence (or reverse, bounce, or stochasticize it on the neighboring pads). You still have to write the notes though!

karolziober
Learning to Wiggle

Post by karolziober » Wed May 19, 2021 6:37 am

Does anyone know if it is possible to use scale while selecting notes for a step? seems like all the time all of the notes are available. the scale option seems to be available in keyboard mode.

Arnie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Arnie » Tue May 25, 2021 3:21 pm

I recieved my SQ64 like a week ago and I am in the process of learning. Like many others here I have mixed feelings about it. It seems like a great concept but it has a few weird flaws or rather...gaps that hinder the workflow.

What is bugging me the most right now is that you can not record to the Drum-Track. Not via an external midi-device but also not on the SQ64 itself. It seems absurd that they wouldnt add a virtual Drumpad for track D, when it has a virtual piano for the other tracks.
I can set steps in the sequencer but most of the time I would want to play my drums :(

Edit: and here is another noob question regarding CV. I´m using the SQ64 with my Moog Subharmonicon. I want to use the mod-track of the SQ64 to control the cutoff of the Subharmonicon. The manual of the SH says that the Cutoff-Input works with -5V to +5V. On the SQ64 I can set the output of the mod somewhere between 0V to 10V.
How do I get the SQ to output negativ Voltage. Is that even a thing (sorry my understanding of CV isnt very good). Or should I just turn it up to 10V? Can that damage my Subharmonicon?
Thanks!

Ishkash
Common Wiggler

Post by Ishkash » Fri May 28, 2021 3:52 pm

Ugh, another problem.

I can't get TRS-MIDI to transmit from the SQ-64 to either my DAW (via my audio interface) or to an external synth (MEGAfm). I bought a TRS-MIDI cable...this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TM8BT3G?ps ... ct_details

I'm wondering if I got a bunk cable. Are all TRS-MIDI cables made equal? Is this the wrong adapter?

Why on earth isn't this working? I've surely adjusted all my "Global" settings on the SQ-64 to match up appropriately. But there's no darn signal.

Anyone successfully transmitting MIDI via the TRS-MIDI out on the SQ-64?

Very frustrating.

EDIT: I believe it's a Type-A vs Type-B problem. I'm learning new things every day.

joeSeggiola
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joeSeggiola » Fri May 28, 2021 4:55 pm

Ishkash wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 3:52 pm
EDIT: I believe it's a Type-A vs Type-B problem. I'm learning new things every day.
Yep. Korg always used the "Type-A" adapter, which recently became part of the official MIDI standard. Unfortunately "Type-B" adapters are still very common since Arturia used that for its popular controllers.

Return to “General Gear”