How Do I Choose A New Interface?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

folpon
Wiggling with Experience

Re: How Do I Choose A New Interface?

Post by folpon » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:21 am

Monofunk wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:36 am
You might find this thread on audio interfaces worth reading.

If you are concerned about Universal Audio plugins you can buy one of their DSP cards.

Not having the plugins tied to the interface you choose is a long term benefit.
Agreed. And yes, I use the UAD pci-e cards.
Los Angeles Public Libra
@folpon

gloamtrotter
Common Wiggler

Post by gloamtrotter » Thu May 14, 2020 5:04 am

How are you feeling about your choice now that you've been using it for a few months?

Granny
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Granny » Thu May 14, 2020 5:15 am

im cheap, i have a focusrite 3rd gen and it works perfectly. i don't have any problems with it

ok, one problem i had was, when i used a longer usb cable (1.9m) i had connection problems

i had a 2nd gen before and updated because i wanted more ins/outs

and i must say that the 3rd gen sounds… bigger? can't explain it. feels like it has more headroom/dynamic sound

but thats just my subjective impression. i didnt do any research/tests about it

folpon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by folpon » Thu May 14, 2020 9:15 am

gloamtrotter wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:04 am
How are you feeling about your choice now that you've been using it for a few months?
Audio quality is great. Latency over thunderbolt is great. I don't really like using a software routing matrix, but it's tolerable. I don't use any of the Antelope plugins or software. It's completely adequate for my purposes.

That being said, once quar is over I am probably going to redo my whole system with a large mixing console and Lynx Aurora, and separate the converter/interface/monitoring etc.
Los Angeles Public Libra
@folpon

folpon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by folpon » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:09 pm

Update for anyone who might be searching:

I have literally never owned a less reliable piece of gear than the Antelope Audio interface -- and I own Buchla.
Los Angeles Public Libra
@folpon

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:29 pm

folpon wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:09 pm

I have literally never owned a less reliable piece of gear than the Antelope Audio interface -- and I own Buchla.
Haha what now? I’m a Goliath owner. Really that’s the only interface of theirs I can somewhat recommend. Mainly because there’s nothing else like it especially at the price point. I’ve definitely had some down time with it but for the most part Antelope has been pretty decent with support (though some times I had to be forceful to get them to remote in and fix the issue they fd up with an update). I used two UAD Apollos prior. I kind of regret switching but the Goliath did simplify things in many ways. I think people who get the most out of the Goliath use it strictly conversion and then connect to a MADI interface that’s more reliable like an RME box.

winn3r
Common Wiggler

Post by winn3r » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:56 pm

Used to own an Orion, now happier than ever with RME to DirectOut and Burl converters over MADI :rock:

Monofunk
Common Wiggler

Post by Monofunk » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:51 pm

folpon wrote:

This is why I can vouch for RME. They make a stable product that works for years.

folpon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by folpon » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:54 am

Sinamsis wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:29 pm
folpon wrote:

Haha what now? I’m a Goliath owner. Really that’s the only interface of theirs I can somewhat recommend. Mainly because there’s nothing else like it especially at the price point.
What now is basically that every couple months I wake up and some or another aspect of the interface is suddenly not working for unclear reasons. This time the computer audio out has lost its routing. Sigh. Back to the help line. I'm glad the Goliath works for you, though. Maybe I'm just too dumb for this thing.
Los Angeles Public Libra
@folpon

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:02 pm

folpon wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:54 am
Sinamsis wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:29 pm
folpon wrote:

Haha what now? I’m a Goliath owner. Really that’s the only interface of theirs I can somewhat recommend. Mainly because there’s nothing else like it especially at the price point.
What now is basically that every couple months I wake up and some or another aspect of the interface is suddenly not working for unclear reasons. This time the computer audio out has lost its routing. Sigh. Back to the help line. I'm glad the Goliath works for you, though. Maybe I'm just too dumb for this thing.
I wasn’t being a smartass. I’ve been there. There’s a setting to turn off updates. Do yourself a favor and turn them off. If it’s working you don’t need updates. It’s usually for the bullshit effects that you and I both never use. It works for me. But it’s by far the most unstable interface I’ve ever used.

folpon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by folpon » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:12 pm

Sorry. Wasn't thinking you were a smartass, apologies if I came off critical. Just felt a bit dejected, really. But also wow -- thank you for pointing out the "turn off updates" button. That's a crucial piece of info; really appreciate that suggestion. Cheers to you, sir.
Los Angeles Public Libra
@folpon

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:56 pm

folpon wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:12 pm
Sorry. Wasn't thinking you were a smartass, apologies if I came off critical. Just felt a bit dejected, really. But also wow -- thank you for pointing out the "turn off updates" button. That's a crucial piece of info; really appreciate that suggestion. Cheers to you, sir.
Ha I know. Just wanted to be clear though because I come off as one often. Yeah. Last time an update broke my system they pointed it out to me. Has worked great since. I’d hang in there man. Personally, if you have a lot of stuff to connect I would grab a Goliath. It’s a pain in the ass when it’s not working, but when you do get it set up it’s nice. There are a TON of features. You may not use all. But the sheer number of inputs, 16 pres, 4 instrument inputs on the front, a reamping section are just unheard of. And what the older gen goes for second hand these days is nuts. I use mine with an older Orion 32 and they do the job fine. I may eventually get a second Goliath but the current system seems to be working fine. If mine keeps working I don’t think I’ll upgrade any time soon. I could spend the money on other things, like an analog summing solution, which is why I bought the Goliath in the first place (to have enough dedicated outputs to be able to use an analog summing box).

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:20 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:56 pm
Personally, if you have a lot of stuff to connect I would grab a Goliath.
Have you seen the next model? The Galaxy 64 Synergy Core?

I'm in a similar position to the OP and I've been mulling over which way to go for at least a year now. The Antelope Orion 32+ Gen 3 was looking good and it seems most people are not experiencing problems. But a thread like this makes me doubtful. Because I need to import into this country I am cautious about anything that might need to be returned.

I'd never considered the Presonus Quantum 4848 but after reading this thread I did some research and it seems to punch well above its price range. I might go with that actually.

I'd like to g with RME but once you start looking at what's needed to achieve 32 I/O the price is too high for me to justify.

Monofunk
Common Wiggler

Post by Monofunk » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:42 pm

dubonaire wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:20 pm
I'd like to g with RME but once you start looking at what's needed to achieve 32 I/O the price is too high for me to justify.
I agree with you there. That is a big consideration to make with RME. Higher channel counts can become expensive.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:46 pm

dubonaire wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:

I'm in a similar position to the OP and I've been mulling over which way to go for at least a year now. The Antelope Orion 32+ Gen 3 was looking good and it seems most people are not experiencing problems. But a thread like this makes me doubtful. Because I need to import into this country I am cautious about anything that might need to be returned.

I'd never considered the Presonus Quantum 4848 but after reading this thread I did some research and it seems to punch well above its price range. I might go with that actually.

I did see the Galaxy. Dude I think it’s starting at $8k or so here. Too rich for my blood. The further I’ve gone with interfaces the more I realize I personally don’t need the newest model. I need decent conversion, high channel count and low latency. And direct monitoring through the interface. All that can be achieved with the older gen Goliath I have so I’m more than happy. I ONLY bought the Goliath because at the time Sweetwater was carrying Antelope. My TB port died in the first month and my unit had to be replaced. Fortunately Sweetwater overnighted me a replacement. Shortly thereafter they dropped Antelope. So if I were to pay top dollar again I would not buy an Antelope interface without the support of a big retailer. I think given your situation you really need to go with stability. I can’t recommend Universal Audio highly enough. Even the older models. They are expandable and even when the limit is reached multiple units can be connected and function as one interface controlled by their pretty decent console app. The only downside of this compared to a single unit like the Goliath is that the Goliath allows you to freely route any of its physical inputs to an output, which gives you zero latency for tracking. This has no impact when I’m just sequencing stuff, but when I’m playing an instrument and the processing is impacted by my playing dynamics (and therefore influences my playing style) I want to hear it in real time. Anyways for stability, quality, feature set and support I’d vote UAD, unless you need the other stuff that the Goliath offers, which is what ultimately lured me away. And I wouldn’t be afraid of ordering second hand units. You could get a decent interface for MUCH less than retail.

wuff_miggler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:51 pm

pix wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:30 pm
lynx aurora if you have the budget.
i use Lynx AES-16 card with 1 x Apogee Rosetta 800. i can connect another Lynx Aurora or another Apogee Rosetta if i wanted 16 ins and outs.
Rolling your own solution is pretty damn good imo.
Downside is you'll need to investigate monitor controller options.

The great part is i dont feel that i'm skimping in any part of my chain :-)

That said - this was the best solution for me 10 yrs ago when i bought it!

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:19 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:46 pm
dubonaire wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:

I did see the Galaxy. Dude I think it’s starting at $8k or so here. Too rich for my blood. The further I’ve gone with interfaces the more I realize I personally don’t need the newest model. I need decent conversion, high channel count and low latency. And direct monitoring through the interface. All that can be achieved with the older gen Goliath I have so I’m more than happy. I ONLY bought the Goliath because at the time Sweetwater was carrying Antelope. My TB port died in the first month and my unit had to be replaced. Fortunately Sweetwater overnighted me a replacement. Shortly thereafter they dropped Antelope. So if I were to pay top dollar again I would not buy an Antelope interface without the support of a big retailer. I think given your situation you really need to go with stability. I can’t recommend Universal Audio highly enough. Even the older models. They are expandable and even when the limit is reached multiple units can be connected and function as one interface controlled by their pretty decent console app. The only downside of this compared to a single unit like the Goliath is that the Goliath allows you to freely route any of its physical inputs to an output, which gives you zero latency for tracking. This has no impact when I’m just sequencing stuff, but when I’m playing an instrument and the processing is impacted by my playing dynamics (and therefore influences my playing style) I want to hear it in real time. Anyways for stability, quality, feature set and support I’d vote UAD, unless you need the other stuff that the Goliath offers, which is what ultimately lured me away. And I wouldn’t be afraid of ordering second hand units. You could get a decent interface for MUCH less than retail.
2 X UAD Apollo x16s is about the same price as the Galaxy.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:54 pm

dubonaire wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:19 pm
Sinamsis wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:

There's no arguing against features for the price when talking about Antelope. And conversion is good. But reliability, not so much. Especially on a completely new product like that. I got the Goliath early on. Ha it was not a smooth ride. But the features lured me. That said, my current set up of older gen Goliath and Orion 32 could probably be found second hand for somewhere between $3-4k. You'd have the same channel count more or less with this set up. That said, in your situation I wouldn't do that. Maybe the Orion 32 is a more mature product at this point. You might be ok. But I might look elsewhere. And knowing what I know now, interfaces are replaced with newer models almost yearly, depreciating the value of older units and not offering a lot more in the new unit. I will probably always buy older generation models moving forward. I paid $4600 for the Goliath new... now you can get the same model second hand for $2000-$2500. It's still feature rich, and at this point mostly stable (I think). And it's supported even though it's discontinued. That's the one positive thing about Antelope. They might drop their interfaces quickly, but they support them still.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:00 am

Sinamsis wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:54 pm
dubonaire wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:

There's no arguing against features for the price when talking about Antelope. And conversion is good. But reliability, not so much. Especially on a completely new product like that. I got the Goliath early on. Ha it was not a smooth ride. But the features lured me. That said, my current set up of older gen Goliath and Orion 32 could probably be found second hand for somewhere between $3-4k. You'd have the same channel count more or less with this set up. That said, in your situation I wouldn't do that. Maybe the Orion 32 is a more mature product at this point. You might be ok. But I might look elsewhere. And knowing what I know now, interfaces are replaced with newer models almost yearly, depreciating the value of older units and not offering a lot more in the new unit. I will probably always buy older generation models moving forward. I paid $4600 for the Goliath new... now you can get the same model second hand for $2000-$2500. It's still feature rich, and at this point mostly stable (I think). And it's supported even though it's discontinued. That's the one positive thing about Antelope. They might drop their interfaces quickly, but they support them still.
I think I'm going to go with the Presonus Quantum 4848 based on the reviews and price. Many reviewers have described it as very clean. I also like the simple implementation. It may even mean I move to Studio One because the integration looks impressive. It looks like the solution I've been looking for.

winn3r
Common Wiggler

Post by winn3r » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:10 am

Will probably be tough to beat Presonus on price, but another option if you're mainly looking for high channel count is getting a simple MADI interface from RME (MADIFace USB is < $1K, rock solid, and supported by their current software TotalMix FX) and spending the rest on converters (RME, DOTEC, Antelope?)

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:53 am

Ive owned original Orion Studio for years. Recently had a failed attempt at a Zen Tour(old version), settled on Discrete 4 Synergy Core instead

My take is that the Synergy Core series feels more solid and reliable than the older models. It physically produces less heat, and so far I have had no issues of reliability or hardships of setup. Although my original Orion is still kickin it nicely for me, i would not recommend buying the older interfaces. The support team is great and they still support the legacy gear but you can kinda tell there was just some inherent issues built into them somehow. Im REALLY hoping they can stop coming out with new models every year and stick to these Synergy Core as being the way forward.

btw Vintage King is selling Antelope stuff now, theyre great

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:33 am

dubonaire wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:00 am
Sinamsis wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:54 pm
dubonaire wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:

I think I'm going to go with the Presonus Quantum 4848 based on the reviews and price. Many reviewers have described it as very clean. I also like the simple implementation. It may even mean I move to Studio One because the integration looks impressive. It looks like the solution I've been looking for.
Ha I'll probably stop quoting because it's getting huge.... but Presonus historically has made very well priced interfaces. I've owned a couple in the past. These were not flagship interfaces mind you but they were over all pretty stable. One of them would drop connection and I'd have to reinstall drivers a couple times a year. Honestly, only a mild nuisance; it was like 30 minutes of down time. Otherwise sound quality was ok, but not as good as other ones I've had. Over all I much preferred the Personus to a Focusrite interface I tried. But you bring up a really interesting point. The integration with a dedicated DAW. I never really tried Studio One, back then I think it was in its infancy. I'm pretty happy with my DAW, but the concept of an interface that connects seamlessly with a DAW is appealing. UAD Luna caught my attention. I guess the benefit is latency free tracking in the DAW, which I assume the Presonus will give you as well. I do use a ton of UAD plugins, so being able to track with effects and no latency seems really appealing. But anyways, an integrated interface/DAW solution seems very appealing. And I agree, transparent converters are probably ideal.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:43 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:33 am
Ha I'll probably stop quoting because it's getting huge.... but Presonus historically has made very well priced interfaces. I've owned a couple in the past. These were not flagship interfaces mind you but they were over all pretty stable. One of them would drop connection and I'd have to reinstall drivers a couple times a year. Honestly, only a mild nuisance; it was like 30 minutes of down time. Otherwise sound quality was ok, but not as good as other ones I've had. Over all I much preferred the Personus to a Focusrite interface I tried. But you bring up a really interesting point. The integration with a dedicated DAW. I never really tried Studio One, back then I think it was in its infancy. I'm pretty happy with my DAW, but the concept of an interface that connects seamlessly with a DAW is appealing. UAD Luna caught my attention. I guess the benefit is latency free tracking in the DAW, which I assume the Presonus will give you as well. I do use a ton of UAD plugins, so being able to track with effects and no latency seems really appealing. But anyways, an integrated interface/DAW solution seems very appealing. And I agree, transparent converters are probably ideal.
From what I've read this Quantum series are markedly better sounding than the predecessors. The other feature that Studio One has is a very powerful hardware insert VST called Pipeline XT which you can configure for each hardware device, which apart from apparently being excellent at removing latency, has this cool feature where you can take a picture of the current state of the hardware device and insert into the VST for that particular setup. There are a few other features of Studio One that really impress me and the Pro version comes free with the interface.

The Quantum doesn't have a software layer between the interface and the DAW. Upside is super low latency, downside is you don't have a matrix router like the Antelopes. But that won't really bother me with 32 I/O and patchbay.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:30 pm

dubonaire wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:43 pm
Sinamsis wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:33 am
From what I've read this Quantum series are markedly better sounding than the predecessors. The other feature that Studio One has is a very powerful hardware insert VST called Pipeline XT which you can configure for each hardware device, which apart from apparently being excellent at removing latency, has this cool feature where you can take a picture of the current state of the hardware device and insert into the VST for that particular setup. There are a few other features of Studio One that really impress me and the Pro version comes free with the interface.

The Quantum doesn't have a software layer between the interface and the DAW. Upside is super low latency, downside is you don't have a matrix router like the Antelopes. But that won't really bother me with 32 I/O and patchbay.
Interesting. So that photo feature exists as a plugin. I’ve been meaning to install it. I forget the name but the guy I collaborate uses it. It sounds like their VST hardware insert is their solution to the routing matrix and might be as or even more convenient. Any built in DSP? I never use my Goliaths (I need to look into it) but I would like it for tracking vocals. UAD has the option of using effects only on the monitored audio while not committing them to the recorded audio. It’s probably not critical for most stuff but is nice having some compression and reverb while singing poorly.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:26 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:30 pm
Interesting. So that photo feature exists as a plugin. I’ve been meaning to install it. I forget the name but the guy I collaborate uses it. It sounds like their VST hardware insert is their solution to the routing matrix and might be as or even more convenient. Any built in DSP? I never use my Goliaths (I need to look into it) but I would like it for tracking vocals. UAD has the option of using effects only on the monitored audio while not committing them to the recorded audio. It’s probably not critical for most stuff but is nice having some compression and reverb while singing poorly.
No DSP. No monitor I/O. It only has two ADAT I/O for 16 channels and 1 word clock I/O. That is where they have shaved some cost I'd say. It fits my needs because I don't need different I/O types and I don't really use many plug-ins so I'm OK without DSP and it has very low latency anyway.

Pipeline XT: https://s1manual.presonus.com/Content/B ... ional).htm

Return to “General Gear”