The Elektron Model:Cycles Thread

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

soon_come
Veteran Wiggler

Re: The Elektron Model:Cycles Thread

Post by soon_come »

tigerhill wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:09 pm Model cycles > model samples? I have the latter and now own a more serious sampler... that said I have a digitone too... :) decisions decisions
I think the Samples is a bit like a crippled Digitakt, while the Cycles is definitely not a crippled Digitone... it punches way above its weight IMO. Obviously, you can’t get deep into the nitty gritty of FM parameters, but it’s got great range and you won’t be dependent on a class compliant host for transferring sounds to it (contrast to the Samples). Even as a sequencer for other gear, it’s fantastic, but being able to do polyphony on just one channel is a blessing.
tigerhill
Common Wiggler

Post by tigerhill »

Yea I love the way it sounds - how much do you love it for drums? The use the samples mostly as a drum sketch pad to get a quick beat going. Do you get bored of the range of drum sounds?
th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas »

tigerhill wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:16 pm Yea I love the way it sounds - how much do you love it for drums? The use the samples mostly as a drum sketch pad to get a quick beat going. Do you get bored of the range of drum sounds?
It's kick is worth the price alone, to be honest. Especially if you make techno. It can bang, boom, sizzle, stomp, zip, AND zap.
rohelineoun
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rohelineoun »

soon_come wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:47 pm I think the Samples is a bit like a crippled Digitakt, while the Cycles is definitely not a crippled Digitone... it punches way above its weight IMO. Obviously, you can’t get deep into the nitty gritty of FM parameters, but it’s got great range and you won’t be dependent on a class compliant host for transferring sounds to it (contrast to the Samples). Even as a sequencer for other gear, it’s fantastic, but being able to do polyphony on just one channel is a blessing.
I've been able to get my hands on both and I feel like you're half right. Both are capable instruments benefiting from the Model's framework of trading depth for immediacy but being a sample player, the M:S needs to have a super intuitive and quick to navigate sample management to match which is not quite there from the factory. The potential is there if you get a relatively small number of samples organized but compared to the M:C where you have the manifold options of the Digitone engine simplified into six engines that can be pulled up almost instantly, the sample architecture of the Samples feels at odds with what the M:S is trying to be. It can be a worthwhile instrument though if you are on top of your sample game.
tigerhill
Common Wiggler

Post by tigerhill »

rohelineoun wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:27 pm
soon_come wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:47 pm I think the Samples is a bit like a crippled Digitakt, while the Cycles is definitely not a crippled Digitone... it punches way above its weight IMO. Obviously, you can’t get deep into the nitty gritty of FM parameters, but it’s got great range and you won’t be dependent on a class compliant host for transferring sounds to it (contrast to the Samples). Even as a sequencer for other gear, it’s fantastic, but being able to do polyphony on just one channel is a blessing.
I've been able to get my hands on both and I feel like you're half right. Both are capable instruments benefiting from the Model's framework of trading depth for immediacy but being a sample player, the M:S needs to have a super intuitive and quick to navigate sample management to match which is not quite there from the factory. The potential is there if you get a relatively small number of samples organized but compared to the M:C where you have the manifold options of the Digitone engine simplified into six engines that can be pulled up almost instantly, the sample architecture of the Samples feels at odds with what the M:S is trying to be. It can be a worthwhile instrument though if you are on top of your sample game.
Yea I know what you mean - browsing samples is a little annoying but I have them set up as kits in small folders labeled by drum machine. That said I only just it for drums mostly so for that it does not feel as limited to me. I wish it had a little more "color" to it or effects (maybe bitcrush or sp404 style) that applied more specifically to sound designing drums instead of just delay and reverb which I usually add in the box.

Model-cycles gets me excited about the design aspect of it and morphing a sound to be exactly what you need for a song but I don't know how versatile it is. I don't want 2 drum machines and I had the drum brute experience which really sucked IMO with regards to the usability of sounds. Drumbrute interface is amazing but sounds were only somewhat usable and not for enough different material.
rohelineoun
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rohelineoun »

tigerhill wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:40 am Model-cycles gets me excited about the design aspect of it and morphing a sound to be exactly what you need for a song but I don't know how versatile it is. I don't want 2 drum machines and I had the drum brute experience which really sucked IMO with regards to the usability of sounds. Drumbrute interface is amazing but sounds were only somewhat usable and not for enough different material.
I remember when the Drum Brute was announced. It should have been a red flag that the one good promo video for it featured it hooked up to a giant mixer with tons of insert and send effects.
tigerhill
Common Wiggler

Post by tigerhill »

Yea - I was newer to hardware at that time and was not so shrewd. I LOVED the interface though it is probably the nicest drum macine I have ever touched with regards to the right amount of knobs and the way the sequencer is laid out. The Impact seems to have fixed some of the issues but I realized the bigger issue was that with easy-to-use analog drum circuits there is an inherent limitation in sound flexibility (if you limit the knobs). That is my worry with the cycles.
darcmorcel
Common Wiggler

Post by darcmorcel »

Well you definitely get a nice diversity of sounds with the M:C, but it's still a 300$ groovebox which also got "an inherent limitation in sound flexibility" that you'll reach at some point...
It's a super nice 300$ groovebox tho, I love it.
soon_come
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soon_come »

They go for less than $250 used, which is a steal. You can use it for drum sounds (and it excels at that), but you can also use it as a 6-track FM synth for melodic and harmonic stuff. Kinda incredible. I'm being serious when I say I would pay $200+ for it as a MIDI sequencer alone (you get probability and note data, no CCs, but that's very powerful). I was really surprised by how much I like it after buying it on a whim, and I think it's overlooked by many.
tigerhill
Common Wiggler

Post by tigerhill »

Yea totally love it as a sequencer but to clarify I am a model:samples owner which is debating a switch but enjoys the same sequencer already :)
dandandan
Common Wiggler

Post by dandandan »

dropthedyle wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:58 pm A first modelcycles only track with my daughter singing :
Great track - Super cool vocals!
dropthedyle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dropthedyle »

electricfence wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:37 pm That’s really great. Thanks for sharing.
dandandan wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:33 pm Great track - Super cool vocals!
Thanks !
it really is a fun little machine, and I find that the pads surprisingly responsive for live fingering/programming
Wavy Davy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Wavy Davy »

Thanks !
it really is a fun little machine, and I find that the pads surprisingly responsive for live fingering/programming
[/quote]

The Track pads on mine, have very poor velocity sensitivity, I have to bang hard on them to get them to trigger.
This seems to be a common complaint about the Model:Cycles/Samples. With the only advice, to disable Velocity on them....
In the pad menu, I have to turn "Fix" from off to 127, to get a sound volume, that matches the 16 Trigger pads.
Even then, I have to hit them hard to get them too trigger.

The 16 Trigger pads work well for me though, as they have a light touch, and can play chromatically.

I'm wondering how you use the Track and Trigger pads on yours, that worked well for you?
Thanks for posting, and best wishes for your continued success.
xcc
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xcc »

dropthedyle wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:25 pm
electricfence wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:37 pm That’s really great. Thanks for sharing.
dandandan wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:33 pm Great track - Super cool vocals!
Thanks !
Totally agree. Unfortunately buying the Cycles ended up to be an expensive move for me. I dug it so much I ended up buying a Digitone and Octatrack a few weeks later. No ragerts.
Wavy Davy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Wavy Davy »

Totally agree. Unfortunately buying the Cycles ended up to be an expensive move for me. I dug it so much I ended up buying a Digitone and Octatrack a few weeks later. No ragerts.
[/quote]

Yes the Model:Cycles it Elektron's gateway drug.
For me the trajectory has been, Korg Volca Drum, Volca Sample > Elektron Model:Cycles > ?
They all pack a lot of fun, into small packages :-)

Glad you are enjoying yours.
dropthedyle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dropthedyle »

Wavy Davy wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:55 pm The Track pads on mine, have very poor velocity sensitivity, I have to bang hard on them to get them to trigger.
I may have a biased experience because I am used to being violent with the keys of my machines and because I have not had a lot of synths with pads before ...
xcc wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:03 pm Totally agree. Unfortunately buying the Cycles ended up to be an expensive move for me. I dug it so much I ended up buying a Digitone and Octatrack a few weeks later. No ragerts.
i followed the same route last year... M:C>digitone>octatrack.
... i had a monomachine and a digitakt in the past but sold both.
as i don't click with the octa, i think about selling it but M:C and digitone are keepers.
i have mixed feeling about elektron machines, some don't fit my worflow
Wavy Davy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Wavy Davy »

I I did this modification on my Model:Cycles, and it made is much more fun to play, for me.
I don't have to bang as hard, to make the Track Pads respond.
It involves taking it apart, and putting duct tape on the bottom of the rubber Track 1-6 buttons.

mg05
Common Wiggler

Post by mg05 »

Is it possible to sequence a Vermona DRM with the Cycles?
Does it make sense?
Did anyone try it?
chiasticon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by chiasticon »

mg05 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:28 pm Is it possible to sequence a Vermona DRM with the Cycles?
Does it make sense?
Did anyone try it?
I haven't, but it should work. you can make any (or all) track(s) a monophonic sequencer for external gear. so you could sequence it with that but you'd be limited to only playing one drum sound on the DRM1 per step, for each track of the Cycles you dedicate to it. you could also just find out what notes Cycles is using for each sound and assign those to the DRM1 sounds. but again, you'd be able to play at most six sounds at once (and you couldn't, say, use one Cycles track for two non-overlapping sounds). BUT then you could layer the DRM1 sounds with the Cycles sounds... :sb:
mg05
Common Wiggler

Post by mg05 »

Thanks!
erstlaub
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by erstlaub »

I've had a Samples for a few months and ended up also getting a Cycles recently just because one popped up on Ebay and I thought it would be fun.

I definitely feel like both machines have their strengths but I was a little bit disappointed with the limited machines and fixed but sort of abstract parameters that are available each. I think it's a shame there's not a more traditional subtractive voice included as it'd be a nice offset to the overall FM vibe, I've yet to find my ideal hats settings either.

All in, they are both excellent boxes for the money, amazing sequencers and lots of really flexible under the hood settings for midi. If I HAD to choose one, I think Samples would win for me just because you can put anything into it as opposed to trying to excavate what you want out of the limited resources in Cycles.
nostalghia
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nostalghia »

Posting here as it's a more popular thread, although I personally have the Model:Samples (might add the Cycles at some point later).
Looks like the BP-1 Power Handle for the Models is now available from Elektron. Price is $49/€49.
Carrying handle, folding stand and portable power source (4xAA batteries).

Photos and details:
https://www.elektron.se/accessories/power-handle-bp-1/

“If you look for a meaning, you'll miss everything that happens.” - Andrei Tarkovsky
https://soundcloud.com/nostalghia70s
Headphones73
Common Wiggler

Post by Headphones73 »

I saw one for $220 at a local pawn shop. I can put down $40-50 and make payments on it. I know it doesn’t sample, I know it’s not as powerful as a Digitakt, but it’s an insane bargain, and I’m down to get it.

But I haven’t done much homework on it, and I haven’t really used Elektron gear that much. (Once tried a Octatrack and couldn’t figure it out). So I assume you can import samples by USB but can’t edit them too much??? Or are there things to keep in mind with EMSamples?? As far as I’m concerned I’d rather own Cycles for the FM, but the EMS is the bargain, so I’ll just have to try it. It can likely compliment my other drum machines and effects pedals, so I’m definitely game for that.
Gear owned: Hungry Robot Modular Oscillator, Output, Slew, Sample & Hold, Sonicsmith Modulor A1, Behringer Crave, RD6, RD9, TD3, Korg EA-1, ER-1 MK2, Boss SP202, SP404, SP505, RE20, Line 6 M5, Akai Miniak, S20, XR20, S2000, Moog MF102, MF104M, CP251, Dreadbox Taff2, Roland SP202, SP404, SP505, RC505
Kingnimrod
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kingnimrod »

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief »

Kingnimrod wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:26 am BP-1 safety recall:
That makes me doubly glad I just went for the MyVolts cable instead.

Return to “General Gear”