Polyend Tracker

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

francoprussian
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Polyend Tracker

Post by francoprussian » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:43 pm

$75 will get you Renoise, which is 1000x better than this half-arsed, underpowered, overpriced fad gadget and is actually recommended by aphex in several interviews. it had a recent update with VST3 support among other things. devs are excellent coders and it's one of the most stable trackers/DAWs around. that $75 should last you at least 5-10 years of updates. it's an excellent investment.

banedox
Common Wiggler

Post by banedox » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:50 pm

francoprussian wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:43 pm
$75 will get you Renoise, which is 1000x better than this half-arsed, underpowered, overpriced fad gadget and is actually recommended by aphex in several interviews. it had a recent update with VST3 support among other things. devs are excellent coders and it's one of the most stable trackers/DAWs around. that $75 should last you at least 5-10 years of updates. it's an excellent investment.
yeah I wan planning on downloading it, my problem is I cant sit at a computer anymore to ADD, Sciatica pain, extra long torso is finally kicking in to not sit errgo wise. So I need a DAWLESS Setup...

Also your opinon seems to be half the market and other half love it.

fruitsnake
Common Wiggler

Post by fruitsnake » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:07 pm

banedox wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:50 pm

I'm the "other half" that says get it, but only if the limitations don't bother you. If you're on the fence at all, just get Renoise. I use mine as a replacement for an MPC2000, which it does fantastically. But I never intended on using the bounce down feature, nor the Performance mode, which seem to be the buggiest scenarios. I also HATE using a mouse while I'm making music, so just the fact that the Tracker is a little box with a big knob pretty much does it for me, but from a technical standpoint Renoise destroys the Tracker, especially considering it's literally :75:

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:38 pm

fruitsnake wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:07 pm
banedox wrote:

I'm the "other half" that says get it, but only if the limitations don't bother you. If you're on the fence at all, just get Renoise. I use mine as a replacement for an MPC2000, which it does fantastically. But I never intended on using the bounce down feature, nor the Performance mode, which seem to be the buggiest scenarios. I also HATE using a mouse while I'm making music, so just the fact that the Tracker is a little box with a big knob pretty much does it for me, but from a technical standpoint Renoise destroys the Tracker, especially considering it's literally :75:
This.

Also, if you learn all the keyboard shortcuts for Renoise you barely need a mouse. You just tab to the different screen sections and use the arrow keys once in the section.

I was super duper skeptical about a tracker on a touchscreen, but SunVox has changed all of that for me. Obviously no mouse needed and easy on the back.

But yeah, if you want to go without a laptop or tablet, we all happen to be in luck because there will soon be three different hardware trackers to choose from! Spoiled for choice these days.

==========

Editor/writer-- The SissyFuss

dunes82
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dunes82 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:58 pm

450 is a deal!

banedox
Common Wiggler

Post by banedox » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:01 pm

22tape wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:38 pm
fruitsnake wrote:
banedox wrote:

This.

Also, if you learn all the keyboard shortcuts for Renoise you barely need a mouse. You just tab to the different screen sections and use the arrow keys once in the section.

I was super duper skeptical about a tracker on a touchscreen, but SunVox has changed all of that for me. Obviously no mouse needed and easy on the back.

But yeah, if you want to go without a laptop or tablet, we all happen to be in luck because there will soon be three different hardware trackers to choose from! Spoiled for choice these days.
what are the other hardware trackers? i got renoise install xd

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:06 pm

banedox wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:01 pm
what are the other hardware trackers?
https://dirtywave.com/

https://xor-electronics.com/nerdseq-portable/
banedox wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:01 pm
i got renoise install xd
:tu:

==========

Editor/writer-- The SissyFuss

unexpectedbowtie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by unexpectedbowtie » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:54 pm

banedox wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:49 pm
Dang all the bug issues are making me wary of this
.. I'm new to trackers but finally understand this is what I've been missing trying to get some sounds I want. I. E aphex twin

Thing 450 for one is decent? Or should I wait and stick with my Elektron gesr?
I personally sold a Digitakt partly to fund a Tracker. The latter is just far more capable, has the capacity to take microSD cards (versus 1GB internal storage on the DT) and doesn't rely on VSTs (Overbridge) to get the separate stems out, which is great for future proofing.

That said, the bugs have been a huge pain in the arse over the past six months, and while things have gotten significantly better, if you are looking to use it as a fully featured audio workstation, I personally would hold off a bit before dropping almost 500 quid on one. I wouldn't discourage anyone from getting one, but I would check out what features are important to you, and see what state they currently are in on GitHub etc.

Roy72
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Roy72 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:52 pm

^^ I swapped out a digitakt for one as well. I find it easier to create stuff on, fill function is great for unexpected surprises. I think the advice to check out the current bugs and see if they matter you is sound, I haven't tried to export stems and maybe I'm not using it to its full potential but haven't found too many bugs.

banedox
Common Wiggler

Post by banedox » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:39 pm

Yeah, I got a tr8s right now and with a octatrack and analog 4. But i just can't get a good work flow with samples that way. Maybe a tracker is what my autistic mind needs.

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:30 pm

The electric shocks thing is interesting. Mine gives that floating voltage tingle that would be familiar to MacBook users, though a couple of times recently the knob has given me a little jolt. The most recent incident was while I was busy cursing some UI bug or other, so I didn't stop and question it.

That said, yes, the thing is definitely electrically "innovative" from time to time. Guessing that mild electric shocks are one thing that won't be patched out.

(edit due to weird autocorrect typo)
Last edited by Kattefjaes on Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

cat_abyss
Common Wiggler

Post by cat_abyss » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:24 am

22tape wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:06 pm
[...] https://dirtywave.com/ [...]
oh, i didn't know the M8 had audio in! That certainly makes it interesting.

....still lurking here looking for some sign to jump on the PT... but not yet... i DID buy renoise with my earmarked tracker money, but so far i've opened it twice (my computer is large and unwieldy).

Wick
Common Wiggler

Post by Wick » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:24 pm

banedox wrote:
.. I'm new to trackers but finally understand this is what I've been missing trying to get some sounds I want. I. E aphex twin

make sure to get one with no jog wheel issues that's a major failure on the polyendtracker right now.

banedox
Common Wiggler

Post by banedox » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:38 am

Wick wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:24 pm
banedox wrote:

make sure to get one with no jog wheel issues that's a major failure on the polyendtracker right now.
yeah i was reading about the shock issues

unexpectedbowtie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by unexpectedbowtie » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:14 pm

Bearing in mind the date... there's now some 'artist editions' up on the Polyend site... with a bit of an extra price tag on there.

https://polyend.com/

stepvhen
Common Wiggler

Post by stepvhen » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:47 pm

unexpectedbowtie wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:14 pm
Bearing in mind the date... there's now some 'artist editions' up on the Polyend site... with a bit of an extra price tag on there.

https://polyend.com/
Hm. Ok. The commodore one looks cool, I guess.

gentleclockdivider
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gentleclockdivider » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:09 pm

fruitsnake wrote:
banedox wrote:

Thing about trackers is that the use of a mouse is reduced to a minimum ( except for the instr. editor) .
Been using renoise for almost 2 decades and it’s kind of sad to see that the majority of people are now realising the huge potential trackers offer .
They needed a crippled polyend hardware box as an introduction to trackers , kind of lame if you ask me.
If you listen to aphex drukqs, bogdan rackzynski etc...it has written tracker all over the place .(fast tracker , scream tracker , player pro tracker)
It’s really fun to recognize the different effects commands etc ..
Renoise all the way !!

Wick
Common Wiggler

Post by Wick » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:29 am

banedox wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:38 am
Wick wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:24 pm
banedox wrote:

yeah i was reading about the shock issues
shock issues are nothing compre to the jogwheel issue this is the encoder inside the polyend tracker.using constantly the weight of that big metal cap on top on that encoder could face issues if not been careful in the long term
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

banedox
Common Wiggler

Post by banedox » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:17 am

i now see other concern xD

fruitsnake
Common Wiggler

Post by fruitsnake » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:05 pm

Haha wow, I haven't had any jog wheel issues so far, but looking at that janky little thing, I'm sure I will one of these days!

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:35 pm

those are all hideous. i’d rather see a firmware update for the poor saps still using the seq.
TOO FAR GONE

francoprussian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by francoprussian » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:53 am

Wick wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:29 am
shock issues are nothing compre to the jogwheel issue this is the encoder inside the polyend tracker.using constantly the weight of that big metal cap on top on that encoder could face issues if not been careful in the long term
Interesting. I can see how using a heavy metal cap on that encoder could cause shock issues. It could brush against the stem housing when being turned, and if the grounding isn't very well designed there's a chance of stray current getting to your fingertips. The fact the thing runs off USB power supply is a warning sign that the grounding is unlikely to be up to snuff. Has anybody reported hum or audible issues?

BTW it looks to be a Bourns PEC series encoder, similar to what Elektron use on most of their old boxes. The plastic shaft is quite flimsy. They use electrical contacts to send the encoder pulses which can tarnish over time and start to cause jittering/jumping values, or other problems. A squirt of Deoxit D5 down the shaft might help, but not a guaranteed fix.

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:46 am

francoprussian wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:53 am
The fact the thing runs off USB power supply is a warning sign that the grounding is unlikely to be up to snuff. Has anybody reported hum or audible issues?
Oh yes.

unexpectedbowtie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by unexpectedbowtie » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:54 am

I put together a video a few weeks ago with my experience of the Tracker thus far. Mostly just mirroring the conversation we've had here.

I did get a few comments from people who clearly didn't like any criticism of the Tracker at all, and kind of missed the point that the device is great - but still a bit away from delivering on everything it set out to.

That said, with the export function now much more reliable, I've found myself writing on the Tracker almost every night. I have a few templates set up with drum samples that I like, and I love that I can sit on the couch with a battery pack and bash out a bunch of patterns to export into Logic for additional synth layering/effects.

The track below is one that I did that way. Created a bunch of patterns in the Tracker over an hour or so, exported them to Logic, and processed them. I really hope all the issues get ironed out/addressed, because when the Tracker works well it really is such a great bit of gear.

francoprussian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by francoprussian » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:24 pm

Thanks for making that vid, Steven. I appreciated hearing a balanced opinion about the Tracker. Sorry to hear that the prickly mob got on your case about it. Really bugs me that so far the only videos to go into any detail have treated the Tracker as an exotic bird to be awed by, rather than what it is, which is a product arising from a long, very niche tradition, and making that more accessible/presentable to people than before.

It seems i have a fairly similar background in trackers as you do (first got into them through LSDJ), and i was quite interested when i heard about the Polyend one. But as it came out and the problems began being reported i quickly came to think it was something best left until they sort out the issues, or i grab one for a steal 2nd hand. Now i'm thinking even waiting for a V2 (not the missile!) might be the better idea, as the electrical engineering of the device seems quite suspect. Borked encoders after less than a year?! That's a huge red flag.

I also have an inbuilt bias against buying anything filled with presets by 'youtubers', but that's another story... i understand they need to market the thing. And i'm just a luddite.

Return to “General Gear”