Korg Opsix

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

unclebastard
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Korg Opsix

Post by unclebastard »

rplktr wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:44 am FM in Medusa is similarly hands-on but it's 3-op versus 6-op on Opsix and 6-voice instead of 32. So there's no contest here. Medusa's strength is being a hybrid, with an analog filter and three analog oscillators to boot.
I'd prefer Opsix in a module since the keys would be dead weight for me.
I'm considering letting the Medusa go, because I don't get on well with its' particular implementation of a grid for control. It's a powerful and great-sounding synth, no question, I find myself struggling with the workflow. I, too, would prefer the Opsix as a module for precisely the same reason. I'm going to continue working with the Medusa until the teased Abyss v2 comes out, and make my final decision then.
Good deals with: Eremitalf, ben_hex, matttech, Elevator Sound
czern
Common Wiggler

Post by czern »

tried diving into a sequence patch from init last night to see how long it would take to get something going vs starting from a preset with drums and splits. didn’t take too long and now I know how to copy splits in the menu to other ops which makes it even faster.

didn’t plan on making a vid but made some sounds I was hoping to make with the OPSIX when I bought it so thought I’d capture it and share. kind of a slow, groovy IDM thing.
wildfrontiers
Veteran Wiggler

Post by wildfrontiers »

some Opsix musings

gminorcoles
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gminorcoles »

wildfrontiers wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:55 pm some Opsix musings

this is crazy
Sweetfiltersweep
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Sweetfiltersweep »

wildfrontiers wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:55 pm some Opsix musings

Wonderful. :tu:

Starting myself to have fun with the opsix:

drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by drowld »

Has anyone tried both the Opsix and the wavestate?
I'm really curious which one I should get. I love the fact that you can route everything in the OPsix but the wavestate looks so deep which makes it a dope sound design unit too.
I feel like the wavestate carry a lot more in the front panel. The Opsix seems to be hiding a lot of things under the hood and it's less immediate.
gminorcoles
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gminorcoles »

drowld wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:50 am Has anyone tried both the Opsix and the wavestate?
I'm really curious which one I should get. I love the fact that you can route everything in the OPsix but the wavestate looks so deep which makes it a dope sound design unit too.
I feel like the wavestate carry a lot more in the front panel. The Opsix seems to be hiding a lot of things under the hood and it's less immediate.
they are not comparable but I love my opsix and hate my wavestate, so
drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by drowld »

gminorcoles wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:40 am
drowld wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:50 am Has anyone tried both the Opsix and the wavestate?
They kind of are because they are really deep synth which can harvest a lot sound design wise even tho synthesis are different.
I know i love FM but i'm not sure about how it's offered in the wavestate
gminorcoles
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gminorcoles »

drowld wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:28 am
They kind of are because they are really deep synth which can harvest a lot sound design wise even tho synthesis are different.
I am not aware of much in the way of FM in the wavestate, not sure
Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio »

gminorcoles wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:57 am
drowld wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:28 am
I am not aware of much in the way of FM in the wavestate, not sure
The wavestate was based on wavestation EX technology, itself a 'lift and shift' of prophet VS wavetable scanning and vector synthesis.
jonne74
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jonne74 »

Opsix and Wavestate are now available as Korg native plug-ins. Really cool.
thisoldmike
Common Wiggler

Post by thisoldmike »

jonne74 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:11 am Opsix and Wavestate are now available as Korg native plug-ins. Really cool.
Yep, I'm pretty stoked about this, opsix in particular. Going to give it a test run with Korg Software Pass this weekend when I have some time, looking forward to checking it out. :sb:
gminorcoles
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gminorcoles »

I cross graded and it is working well so far
cruelangelthesis
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cruelangelthesis »

What a nice surprise. Been debating selling my opsix, not a fan of the size/keybed but I do love the sound design.
kcearl
Veteran Wiggler

Post by kcearl »

I liked the look of the Korgs but Im out of space and nothing Id move for one of them so Ill likely buy the native versions….not sure how I’d feel if I just bought the hardware though.
Kennymester
Common Wiggler

Post by Kennymester »

kcearl wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:09 am I liked the look of the Korgs but Im out of space and nothing Id move for one of them so Ill likely buy the native versions….not sure how I’d feel if I just bought the hardware though.
I have a limited amount of space too and I had the Opsix because it was unique and not something I could get in software. Now that it is software I might sell it and devote that space to something else I can't get in software.
kcearl
Veteran Wiggler

Post by kcearl »

Kennymester wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:02 pm
kcearl wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:09 am I liked the look of the Korgs but Im out of space and nothing Id move for one of them so Ill likely buy the native versions….not sure how I’d feel if I just bought the hardware though.
I have a limited amount of space too and I had the Opsix because it was unique and not something I could get in software. Now that it is software I might sell it and devote that space to something else I can't get in software.
Ive got a feeling there might be a glut of these appearing on reverb etc soon…their build and size werent quite gigging level and in a studio maybe something hardware that isnt exactly the same in software can take that spot.
Kennymester
Common Wiggler

Post by Kennymester »

kcearl wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:06 pm
Ive got a feeling there might be a glut of these appearing on reverb etc soon…their build and size werent quite gigging level and in a studio maybe something hardware that isnt exactly the same in software can take that spot.
Yeah I agree, the build quality is very plasticy and lightweight although doesn't surprise me considering on the inside the whole thing is powered by a RasberryPi. If there was a module version I would probably keep that.

I already see a ton on Reverb already and at really low prices.
kcearl
Veteran Wiggler

Post by kcearl »

Kennymester wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:54 am
kcearl wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:06 pm
Yeah I agree, the build quality is very plasticy and lightweight although doesn't surprise me considering on the inside the whole thing is powered by a RasberryPi. If there was a module version I would probably keep that.

I already see a ton on Reverb already and at really low prices.
*heads over to reverb* :mrgreen: :guinness:
unclebastard
Veteran Wiggler

Post by unclebastard »

Anyone who fancies swapping theirs for my Medusa, PM me.
Good deals with: Eremitalf, ben_hex, matttech, Elevator Sound
DumbleDor
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DumbleDor »

is the sound the same
kcearl
Veteran Wiggler

Post by kcearl »

DumbleDor wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:27 am is the sound the same
The same
Aleyas
Common Wiggler

Post by Aleyas »

Has anyone made any nice patches with the phaser operator? I've had limited success pinging the phaser op. With feedback at 100 (excited by short impulse from op2), I can get a woody little pluck of about 150ms or so. And while it is 'woody', it's very subdued. The short delay operator by contrast rings out like crazy, not to mention the comb filter.
Admittedly, I've only tried 1 op > 1 phaser op. Maybe placing a few phaser ops in series would deepen the tone.

edit: okay, I just put three phaser ops in series. The key is adjusting the ratio. Huge difference! Still not ringing very long, but the sound gets deeep and complex quick. Very percussive, very Buchla-ish. Really great with some step sequencing.. Though, I am unclear what 'ratio' is doing to the phaser when phaser mix is 0 (only the effect is heard, not the operator osc itself). Whatever it does, I like it.
Sweetfiltersweep
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Sweetfiltersweep »

Korg opsix raw sound processed with external equipment:

jonne74
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jonne74 »

Finally cross graded. Got stuck on the RNDIS driver update on Win10. There was an optional "choose Network Adapter", that I missed for 30mins.

What a great plug-in! Experimenting with sound edits is a easier different experience on a big screen. You can export them to your hardware, but I noticed that once I've made a patch, it's quick to re-create it on the Opsix. The exporting will come in handy when the patches start to pile up on the plug-in though.

Return to “General Gear”