Korg Opsix

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Korg Opsix

Post by Pighood »

dooj88 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:50 pm pighood, what do you think man? this or hydra? i like deep programming, but not if its too fiddly. also, prefer it able to make harsh, almost brutal sounds.
Great gravy meng....I'm the wrong guy to ask since I have both. For brutality though, the Opsix gets filthier because of the REAL feedback.
*phnert*
drumasaurusrex
Common Wiggler

Post by drumasaurusrex »

Neo wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:18 pm
dogoftears wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:06 pm the biggest criticism that comes to mind is that the envelopes-per-operator are not complex enough, they are simple ADSR envelopes. even the addition of just a delay parameter would potentiate more evolving sounds. i was looking at the screen and it didn't appear that there are any deeper parameters/options for the EGs, but hopefully i'm wrong. my dream would be to have cz-101 8-stage envelopes per op... hold down a key and listen to a sound evolve for minutes on end!
This does seem like an unfortunate limitation, but perhaps all is not lost for evolving patches. It has 3 lfo's and interesting slewed random lfo waveforms, so assigning the 3 lfo's to operators 1-3 and the 3 lof's inverted to operators 4-6 might make for some interesting ever evolving sounds.
You can set the EG parameters as destinations in the virtual patch system… so you can use EG3 or LFOs or other v.patch sources to modulate the EGs. Not the same thing, but thought maybe worth mentioning.
obscurerobot
Turing Tested

Post by obscurerobot »

dooj88 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:50 pm pighood, what do you think man? this or hydra? i like deep programming, but not if its too fiddly. also, prefer it able to make harsh, almost brutal sounds.
It seems obvious that you'd want the HSK for poly aftertouch and then the OPSIX or maybe a MODX for FM.

You have to go all the way to the Montage to get FM with channel aftertouch, so the HSK is a mandatory purchase.
Headphones73
Common Wiggler

Post by Headphones73 »

I’m in love with the sound, but not sure I’m comfortable with a. $800+tax synth with only 49 keys. But the user interface looks excellent and fairly simple to select your operators & modulators, and the random patch generation could make me sounds I would never create from modular or VSTs!!

So gonna wait & see if prices don’t drop just a little. But pair it up to a Digitone or reFaceDX, and that’s a ton of FM to explore!!!
Gear owned: Hungry Robot Modular Oscillator, Output, Slew, Sample & Hold, Sonicsmith Modulor A1, Behringer Crave, RD6, RD9, TD3, TD3MO, Korg EA-1, ER-1 MK2, Boss SP202, SP404, SP505, RE20, Line 6 M5, Akai Miniak, S20, XR20, S2000, Moog MF102, MF104M, CP251, Dreadbox Taff2, Roland SP202, SP404, SP505, RC505
Estes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Estes »

Good news here, Oscillator Sink exploring the buchla side of fm of the OPsix.

Looking for Videomodules open for trades for Eurorack.

submute
Common Wiggler

Post by submute »

Anyone have thoughts about the OpSix versus the Waldorf M?
jonne74
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jonne74 »

submute wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:36 pm Anyone have thoughts about the OpSix versus the Waldorf M?
I have both, anything specific?
submute
Common Wiggler

Post by submute »

jonne74 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:47 am I have both, anything specific?
Yeah: just general curiosity. If you could only buy one, strengths/weaknesses, limitations, just your experience with both and if someone wanted one FM-ish synth in their room, that kind of thing. I know the M has only been out for a hot minute, so experiences may be limited.
jonne74
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jonne74 »

The obvious difference is price. You could get wavetable and FM with the Korg Modwave and Opsix. I really like the Opsix and the Buchla thing shows how crazy it can get. The Waldorf feels more expensive, has analog VCAs & VCFs and sounds better to me. More niche and aims to do one thing really well. No FX like on the Opsix, less polyphony, less plastic. I wish the M had the modulation from the Opsix patch system. I would try the Opsix first, it can do familiar subtractive things too.
morgulbee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by morgulbee »

New opsix firmware 2.0 is available. A few useful new features and 100 new preset sounds.

More info and downloads here:
https://www.korg.com/us/products/synthe ... six/v2.php
abluesky
Learning to Wiggle

Post by abluesky »

morgulbee wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:10 pm New opsix firmware 2.0 is available. A few useful new features and 100 new preset sounds.

More info and downloads here:
https://www.korg.com/us/products/synthe ... six/v2.php
That pushed me over the edge. Looks great!
Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pighood »

Does installing 2.0 automatically overwrite custom patches or can you audition them and load wherever?
*phnert*
morgulbee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by morgulbee »

Pighood wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:12 am Does installing 2.0 automatically overwrite custom patches or can you audition them and load wherever?
The new set of presets are installed separately using the Sound Librarian software. Use that to backup any custom patches you have, and rearrange them in the Librarian if you want.
joey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by joey »

i reviewed and loved the opsix:

Bobby
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bobby »

Mts?
joey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by joey »

thesingingarc
Common Wiggler

Post by thesingingarc »

Just came here to say I absolutely adore this. I can even forgive it the keybed and I -really- hate the keybed.

That is all.
Modular Grid - Ding Dang Horribly Whilst High
n00b, learning, background in studio recording.
gminorcoles
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gminorcoles »

joey wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:37 am
funny enough this video actually caused me to buy a Digitone so now I have both. not Sure about the DT though long-term
IntervoxOptima
Wiggling with Experience

Post by IntervoxOptima »

I got an Opsix this Friday from Sweetwater, and while it sounds amazing it's frozen up on me a BUNCH of times while editing patches or trying to load a patch I created. I updated it to the most recent firmware but it still freezes. Anyone else have a similar experience or did I get a dud?? Not a good first impression. Maybe I should send it back for a replacement.
NiteEagle
Common Wiggler

Post by NiteEagle »

IntervoxOptima wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:04 am I got an Opsix this Friday from Sweetwater, and while it sounds amazing it's frozen up on me a BUNCH of times while editing patches or trying to load a patch I created. I updated it to the most recent firmware but it still freezes. Anyone else have a similar experience or did I get a dud?? Not a good first impression. Maybe I should send it back for a replacement.
There are people reporting lockups with 2.0 in the opsix owners FB group, but others, me included, have zero issues with version 2.0.
Chief circuit wrangler at SDIY Chicago
IntervoxOptima
Wiggling with Experience

Post by IntervoxOptima »

NiteEagle wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:52 pm
IntervoxOptima wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:04 am I got an Opsix this Friday from Sweetwater, and while it sounds amazing it's frozen up on me a BUNCH of times while editing patches or trying to load a patch I created. I updated it to the most recent firmware but it still freezes. Anyone else have a similar experience or did I get a dud?? Not a good first impression. Maybe I should send it back for a replacement.
There are people reporting lockups with 2.0 in the opsix owners FB group, but others, me included, have zero issues with version 2.0.
Thanks for the tip NiteEagle! I think the firmware is too buggy for me to commit to the Opsix at this point. after posting about the issue It locked up on me a number of times again :waah: Gonna be going back.
jsepeta
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jsepeta »

1) Is there a computer-based editor for the OpSix? That is something I'd like to help me to understand how everything works without menu-diving.

2) My GF prefers the OpSix to the Wavestate, for what it's worth. Just got a ModWave so last year's 3 Korg purchases are giving me a lot to learn.

3) My old DS-8 had aftertouch. Korg doesn't even put aftertouch on the $2500 Nautilus, so no surprise that it's not on the Wavestate, OpSix, or ModWave - but DAMMIT, aftertouch can be used to add expression to one's playing.
http://www.lo-res.com has been my personal website since 1995
a few of my songs can be found at
http://www.soundcloud.com/badsamaritan
NiteEagle
Common Wiggler

Post by NiteEagle »

IntervoxOptima wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:32 am Thanks for the tip NiteEagle! I think the firmware is too buggy for me to commit to the Opsix at this point. after posting about the issue It locked up on me a number of times again :waah: Gonna be going back.
Do you still have the opsix? Version 2.0.1 of the OS came out today with a fix for the lock ups.
Chief circuit wrangler at SDIY Chicago
unclebastard
Veteran Wiggler

Post by unclebastard »

This is one synth I'd consider swappng my Medusa for. Not bothered about the small keys, as it would be controlled from the Sledge.
Good deals with: Eremitalf, ben_hex, matttech, Elevator Sound
rplktr
Common Wiggler

Post by rplktr »

FM in Medusa is similarly hands-on but it's 3-op versus 6-op on Opsix and 6-voice instead of 32. So there's no contest here. Medusa's strength is being a hybrid, with an analog filter and three analog oscillators to boot.

I'd prefer Opsix in a module since the keys would be dead weight for me. It's puzzling to me that while the synth engine supports it, the keys have no aftertouch. For synthesizers as complex as Wavestate/Opsix/Modwave this seems like a missed opportunity.

But really what would be a game-changer in it is if it were multitimbral. Even just two-part multitimbral by keyboard split would be enough for me. At 32-voice polyphony it's a waste not enabling this. After all, this is where purely digital synthesizers can outshine analogs and hybrids.

In the end I'm eyeing the synth since it came out but it's hard to justify the purchase, even though I personally love FM synthesis.
Out now, a six track EP showcasing Polyend Medusa's digital FM:

Return to “General Gear”