Korg Opsix

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Korg Opsix

Post by Pighood »

finalplane wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:47 pm i really want one of these but lack of multitimbrality is a bummer .... want a sy77 but it's too big ... tg77 is impossible to find .... but the opsix seems like such a nice little size! can sit in bed and make crazy sounds
Those sliders and knobs...Imma tellin you, FORGET ABOUT GETTING ANY SLEEP
*phnert*
mallarme
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mallarme »

After a lot of fiddling and digging I found that their driver was disallowed by my Mac. Messing with securities etc I got it to work. Works pretty well.
Estes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Estes »

Anyone found a easy way to make Windows recognize the Opsix as a device? apparently windows cannot handle well to many usb ports and now he does not recognize the Opsix. It seems to be a well known problem but couldn't find a solution that worked for me.
Looking for Videomodules open for trades for Eurorack.

unclebastard
Veteran Wiggler

Post by unclebastard »

Now the Medusa has 3op FM, I can stop looking at this...
Good deals with: Eremitalf, ben_hex, matttech, Elevator Sound
Estes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Estes »

unclebastard wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:07 pm Now the Medusa has 3op FM, I can stop looking at this...
Well the beauty of the opsix is that fm is not a feature but rather the whole fundament of this synth. Having all 6 operators with level faders makes fm playable more than ever.

unclebastard
Veteran Wiggler

Post by unclebastard »

I'm not disagreeing, I think the Opsix looks and sounds great, but I don't have the money or space for it and the Medusa will do the job. Not as well, fully or elegantly, but that's life.
Good deals with: Eremitalf, ben_hex, matttech, Elevator Sound
Rost + Licht
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Rost + Licht »

Having the OP6 now for about a month I can truly say it’s an amazing modern take on fm without sacrificing anything essential. What I like most about it is the organic change of timbre in a patch due to level sliders (which are all MIDI controllable btw. Take sth like a OT and go figure.. blows the Digitone out of the water).
I had my concerns before sound wise compared to the earthy and haptic sound of my loved DX11 but it can also go there. The Lofi waveforms, lofi global setting, Amp, Rotary and Decimator settings bring it in very pleasant haptic and dusty territory. Don’t be fooled by the cheesy presets! Sequencer is nice and straightforward too.

Both for FM synthesis conossieur and newcomers this is the way to go rn imo.

I’d luckily pay 2k for a HQ version though and would favour a module.
h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted »

I’m hanging on this for a module , the form factor is awkward.

I know it’s probably not worth it to the big guns , but I wish they would make luxury versions of their popular synths. I’d pay for high quality build versions. I know some company’s do it , but it’s normally just touch ups here and there.

Do you think I’d regret selling my Nord Drum for this ?
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.
abruzzi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by abruzzi »

h4ndcrafted wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:06 am I’m hanging on this for a module , the form factor is awkward.
I'd buy a module version of this and the Wavestate in a heartbeat, but Dan Phillips at Korg has said it's not going to happen. I may still go for one, but I don't really have the space (no room for more keyboards.) Though FM is easily my favorite synthesis type, so....
jonne74
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jonne74 »

Nice 6-op supersaw tutorial. I have to try this and evolve it. I guess it eats away at polyphony quite quickly.

TheRosskonian
Veteran Wiggler

Post by TheRosskonian »

abruzzi wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:34 pm
h4ndcrafted wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:06 am I’m hanging on this for a module , the form factor is awkward.
I'd buy a module version of this and the Wavestate in a heartbeat, but Dan Phillips at Korg has said it's not going to happen. I may still go for one, but I don't really have the space (no room for more keyboards.) Though FM is easily my favorite synthesis type, so....
My guess from reading the comments from Korg on the Wavestate thread in gearslutz was that a module version is not coming. They also made it sound like a bigger keys version of the Wavestate was not coming either, but it ended up happening. Someone in that same thread had chopped off the keyboard and said it wasn't too difficult.

I had a Wavestate for a few months and actually really liked the form factor. They keyboard wasn't the best, but I appreciated the full size over the minikeys on the 'logues and the whole thing was so light it easily sat on any kind of stand above a midi controller. I would say treat the current form factor as a module and pickup a 2 tier keyboard stand to use with a midi controller or a dj stand to get it where you want it on a tabletop.
Estes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Estes »

jonne74
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jonne74 »

Rost + Licht wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:07 am
The Lofi waveforms, lofi global setting....
Wait, what is the lofi global setting?
Rost + Licht
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Rost + Licht »

cant look right now but think its under the 'misc' or 'voice' sub menu. adds a bit of hiss and rounding, kinda like a lower bit DAC
u0421793
Common Wiggler

Post by u0421793 »

What would be pleasing now would be if Korg released a nice overview/editor software in the same vein as the software the Modwave has.
Overorange
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Overorange »

u0421793 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:27 pm What would be pleasing now would be if Korg released a nice overview/editor software in the same vein as the software the Modwave has.
The keyboard and the lack of an editor are the two things that have been holding me back from picking up an opsix.

FM synths benefit from software editors. Even an FM synth with a good interface can be better programmed when one can see many of the parameters at once, particularly when dealing with six operators. I mean, someone will eventually release an opsix editor. It just would have been nice if Korg had given it an official editor out of the gate as they seem to be doing with the modwave.
Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio »

Overorange wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:16 pm
u0421793 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:27 pm What would be pleasing now would be if Korg released a nice overview/editor software in the same vein as the software the Modwave has.
The keyboard and the lack of an editor are the two things that have been holding me back from picking up an opsix.

FM synths benefit from software editors. Even an FM synth with a good interface can be better programmed when one can see many of the parameters at once, particularly when dealing with six operators. I mean, someone will eventually release an opsix editor. It just would have been nice if Korg had given it an official editor out of the gate as they seem to be doing with the modwave.
It may seem 'lower league', but the 4 operator Reface DX can be programmed pretty well from its front panel. Also, the variable feedback and waveshape for each operator takes will well beyond the usual realm of 4 operator FM, and can deliver pretty complex timbres.
u0421793
Common Wiggler

Post by u0421793 »

Blairio wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:26 pm

It may seem 'lower league', but the 4 operator Reface DX can be programmed pretty well from its front panel. Also, the variable feedback and waveshape for each operator takes will well beyond the usual realm of 4 operator FM, and can deliver pretty complex timbres.
My first ever commercial paid-for synth [1] was a Yamaha CX5m with the composer cart and voicing cart (I eventually upgraded it to SFG05 and also later bought an FB-01 to go alongside). Learning FM on a screen – even if it was a tiny black and white portable telly – was very useful for me and explains why I’m so comfortable with FM.

[1] it wasn’t my first synth, my first synth was a pcb and switches drilled into a bent metal sheet containing an SN76477, then I built another. Then I embarked upon building a group of Digisound-80 modules as finances allowed.
Overorange
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Overorange »

Blairio wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:26 pm

I agree! I really like my Reface DX, and the front panel does a great job of making the synth straightforward.
Bobby
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bobby »

+1 on the reface. Lush little moble synth.
u0421793
Common Wiggler

Post by u0421793 »

New version of the firmware/system updater 1.0.4 2021.07.12 : https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/product/0/874/
Estes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Estes »

Did you check out Oscillator Sinks tutorials? Fun faxt people listened to some recorded opsix sounds and always wondering ifts an analog synth. Honestly even the filter modellings do a good job here.

gminorcoles
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gminorcoles »

its such a great synth. I sold my Kronos, didn't even notice (not that I am comparing them directly) , this thing is central to my setup now.
u0421793
Common Wiggler

Post by u0421793 »

I’m wondering… the lack of a pre-delay on the envelopes. If the sequencer could be set to be a one-shot (which quickly looking in the manual I don’t think can be done, so that’d need to be a software revision to add the feature) then it might open the door to using the sequencer (in one-shot) as a way of achieving pre-delay. And indeed, all sorts of similar parameter effects involving staggering / positioning in time during the execution of one note. I haven’t looked in detail, just a few mins in the manual
dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 »

pighood, what do you think man? this or hydra? i like deep programming, but not if its too fiddly. also, prefer it able to make harsh, almost brutal sounds.

Return to “General Gear”