Korg Opsix

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

Pumping-Alien
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Korg Opsix

Post by Pumping-Alien »

@Mind Flayer

When pressing the home-button you can change attack and decay of all operators at once, by two rotary knobs. It is (roughly) similar to the time parameter of Ableton operator, but independent for attack/decay and it has a wide range. Very important feature esp. for fine tuning the duration of short sounds to the mix, I agree.
Northward
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Northward »

The Opsix sounds like it’s capable of changing our general perspective of what FM synthesis sounds like.

Does it have sample bit reduction? / some sort of compression fx or quality? It would be very interesting with e.g. patches that combines a grungy or digital compressed -early sampler-like sounds with glassy, tinkering sounds on different octaves.
Pumping-Alien
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Pumping-Alien »

By the way, the Opsix is kind of multitimbral when you use the split keyboard feature. (Someone above said it is not).
Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pighood »

Korg is dragging ass in releasing it...a month away at minimum.
*phnert*
jonne74
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jonne74 »

Northward wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:32 pm The Opsix sounds like it’s capable of changing our general perspective of what FM synthesis sounds like.

Does it have sample bit reduction? / some sort of compression fx or quality? It would be very interesting with e.g. patches that combines a grungy or digital compressed -early sampler-like sounds with glassy, tinkering sounds on different octaves.

Yes, there is an effect for bit reduction. I think I've seen a compressor too, but I've mostly used delays and reverb.
Bobby
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bobby »

I'm hoping they are adding microtuning. I wontt get it if they dont sadly
Michael O.
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Michael O. »

Bobby wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:01 am I'm hoping they are adding microtuning. I wontt get it if they dont sadly
Another weird oversight, especially for a non-Western company. The programmable pitch tables were a huge selling point of Yamaha’s DX series (internationally), and a big part of why they’re still commonly used in musics from Asia and Africa.
Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pighood »

Update: Detroit Modular just got some in stock. Mine ships tomorrow.
*phnert*
Easterner
Common Wiggler

Post by Easterner »

Just received from Detroit Modular and looking forward to exploring!
D Rock
Common Wiggler

Post by D Rock »

Let us know what you think! Can’t wait to see some demos of people who can play some keys, there is so much potential for the $$$.
mafouka
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mafouka »

Bobby wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:01 am I'm hoping they are adding microtuning. I wontt get it if they dont sadly
+1
這一生中有多少人擦肩而過?而朋友是多麼可貴啊
h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted »

? Kinda quiet
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.
Easterner
Common Wiggler

Post by Easterner »

Not actually playing the keys directly here... but am sequencing a range of sounds from the Korg Opsix from a Processing sketch sending out midi events... kind of a generative ambient for the first one, and noisier for the second two of the three videos in this IG post: Korg Opsix sounds sequenced by generative processes
Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol »

Easterner wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:00 pm Not actually playing the keys directly here... but am sequencing a range of sounds from the Korg Opsix from a Processing sketch sending out midi events... kind of a generative ambient for the first one, and noisier for the second two of the three videos in this IG post: Korg Opsix sounds sequenced by generative processes
Some lovely sonic content in there, thoroughly enjoyed it!
Gaun Yersel!
Easterner
Common Wiggler

Post by Easterner »

Still have to delve deeper into this. But as an FM fan (among being a fan of synthesis and sound design in general!) I have always been searching for more controllable, good-sounding FM synthesis. The Opsix is doing great on these fronts! Focusing on digital FM...

For old school sound and grit, I enjoy the old Yamaha synths, but they're not so fun to programme quickly. I had gotten the Stereoping knob box to control and automate the DX-100. The Volca FM is a lot of fun to automate, and sounds like a DX-7. I have messed around a bit with the FS1R (8-op FM!) but it lives up to its reputation as a stubborn thing, even with a software editor. I love the 2-op synths Yamaha PSS-460, PSS-380, PSR-36 that might seem like toys (and that's not a bad thing anyway) but provide sliders to control a number of parameters, giving some nice live tweaking.

And there's modern FM hardware synths that are pretty tweakable, ranging from Akemie's Castle to Nozoid MMO-3 and the Modor NF-1, which I love too.

Among that, the Korg Opsix is a step up and I think a keeper. I don't need more octaves for the keyboard. I like the 6 sliders and knobs. The filter, wavefolder, effects and more go a good way to expanding the sonic possibilities. But within the FM part, the modulation matrix and controllable randomisation are really appreciated for getting the kinds of sounds I want. This goes well beyond the list of preset operator algorithms. And midi cc makes it nicely controllable externally for rhythmic modulation and glitching, whether for more groove in any bass or pad or lead line, but also for glitchy textures and percussive sounds.

Yes, more complex envelopes would be nice, proper multitimbrality, etc. But I'm definitely enjoying this!
Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pighood »

My randomizer seems very weak and results in quiet samey peeps, and sometimes freezes the synth, necessitating forced reboot. Anyone else seeing this?
*phnert*
Easterner
Common Wiggler

Post by Easterner »

I didn't run into those issues...
memovitch
Learning to Wiggle

Post by memovitch »

Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pighood »

No Mac support what the actual fuck
*phnert*
Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pighood »

Pighood wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:23 am No Mac support what the actual fuck
Never mind...there IS MAC support for 10.12 and above.
*phnert*
Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pighood »

The librarian is speedy AF and has zero bugs. Happy I invested in the synth....a JOY to program and play. Who cares about the pants keybed.
*phnert*
u0421793
Common Wiggler

Post by u0421793 »

I’d get one if they made a version without that quaint row of oddly-arranged narrow black and white slabs getting in the way along the front edge.
mallarme
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mallarme »

I can't get the library to work. It says it needs to be version 1.0.1, but at the Korg website I can only find and download the 1.0.0 (for Mac). Am I missing something?
Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pighood »

mallarme wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:50 am I can't get the library to work. It says it needs to be version 1.0.1, but at the Korg website I can only find and download the 1.0.0 (for Mac). Am I missing something?
They’ve only released one librarian, and it runs fine on my Mac using OS 10.12.
*phnert*
finalplane
Common Wiggler

Post by finalplane »

i really want one of these but lack of multitimbrality is a bummer .... want a sy77 but it's too big ... tg77 is impossible to find .... but the opsix seems like such a nice little size! can sit in bed and make crazy sounds
whipcreamsfruitquartet.bandcamp.com

Return to “General Gear”