Korg Opsix

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

everydaycurry
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Korg Opsix

Post by everydaycurry »

Anyone Opsix owners also have a MegaFM (or had)? I like the sound of my MegaFM, less fond that it doesn't work particularly well (and sometimes not at all) - wondering if the Opsix's low-bit sines can get in the same grungy world.
abluesky
Learning to Wiggle

Post by abluesky »

everydaycurry wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:38 am Anyone Opsix owners also have a MegaFM (or had)? I like the sound of my MegaFM, less fond that it doesn't work particularly well (and sometimes not at all) - wondering if the Opsix's low-bit sines can get in the same grungy world.
I’ve got a MegaFM and it works perfectly.
everydaycurry
Veteran Wiggler

Post by everydaycurry »

I wish mine did too.
u0421793
Common Wiggler

Post by u0421793 »

Is it just me, or is anyone else with both the physical OpSix and the software OpSix finding that the physical synth sounds just vastly better than the software one? (Also, the software one is ridiculously crashy (even updated to the latest v as of this date))

I would actually prefer if the software one could mainly act as a direct editor to the physical one, the present sonic capabilities of it being a secondary use.
Chopper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Chopper »

u0421793 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:08 pm Is it just me, or is anyone else with both the physical OpSix and the software OpSix finding that the physical synth sounds just vastly better than the software one? (Also, the software one is ridiculously crashy (even updated to the latest v as of this date))

I would actually prefer if the software one could mainly act as a direct editor to the physical one, the present sonic capabilities of it being a secondary use.
Your post actually answers a lot of questions I had about it....
I am very interested in getting one of those and the interface is tempting (best one I've seen on an FM synth in my opinion).
I bought the software, and indeed, it's rather buggy. Great sound, loads of possibilities but lacks the punch FM basses can accomplish usually. It's all there but somehow I was expecting a bit more.... I was wondering if the hardware was better....

Great synth for pads and textures, looking forwards to get the hardware one, and yes, I was hoping the software would be useful as an editor, so hey ....
u0421793
Common Wiggler

Post by u0421793 »

Chopper wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:32 pm
u0421793 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:08 pm Is it just me, or is anyone else with both the physical OpSix and the software OpSix finding that the physical synth sounds just vastly better than the software one? (Also, the software one is ridiculously crashy (even updated to the latest v as of this date))

Your post actually answers a lot of questions I had about it....
I am very interested in getting one of those and the interface is tempting (best one I've seen on an FM synth in my opinion).
I bought the software, and indeed, it's rather buggy. Great sound, loads of possibilities but lacks the punch FM basses can accomplish usually. It's all there but somehow I was expecting a bit more.... I was wondering if the hardware was better....

Great synth for pads and textures, looking forwards to get the hardware one, and yes, I was hoping the software would be useful as an editor, so hey ....
The interface of the physical OpSix isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. It looks good, in a photo of it, but when it comes down to using it, the interface is really those six sliders, and everything else is secondary or cumbersome.

The sliders, for a start, could be set to anywhere when you select a patch, and then as you move them you might suddenly find the patch change sound because the slider has moved an operator which was at, say, 10% level into another operator, suddenly being, say, 87% level, because that’s where the slider was when you started moving it. I’ve adopted a sort of superstition where I set all sliders to roughly halfway before I recall a patch. It’s not the real solution, but it makes things a bit safer.

The knobs above the sliders – what were they thinking? Does anyone else hold a note down and just wildly twiddle through the oscillator ratios? All six of them? If you do, then this is the perfect interface for such a thing. However, nobody ever does that. Maybe it’s a new fad which we’ll hear soon – notes held down and the coarse ratio of all six operators are manically swept. Of course if you do that you’ll pretty much never get it back to where it was when the note started.

The six knobs over the right side are not at all ‘knob per function’ as you have to go somewhere via buttons to get to the particular knobular mode you might want (eg filter) and being endless rotary encoders they feel a bit disconnected (and seem to have a velocity action – sometimes – or maybe not?). There’s a lot of paging and going elsewhere involved. Basically it’s those six sliders that do the performance stuff, and of course pitch bend and mod, like everything else.
Chopper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Chopper »

Ah, this is everything I needed to know. Thanks!
gminorcoles
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gminorcoles »

I have the physical opsix which I used on every track since I bought it, and now the VST has a slot in my Logic template. The opsix VST ui is easier to deal with for me than the physical synth. I cant tell any difference in sound, except perhaps the VST needs less tweaking of levels. as for "punch", I have used the opsix for drum sounds and it seems pretty percussive? I never know how to take coded language like "punch" since it seems usually invoke when a synth is lacking it.
wuff_miggler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler »

gminorcoles wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:36 am The opsix VST ui is easier to deal with for me
whoa! im so glad i read this comment. I thought the Wavestate/Opsix plugins were just a patch builders/controllers...no...they're actually a full VST. My wavestate had to be returned (fucked pixels and couldnt get a replacement as i bought it as factory second lol)- im so glad i can just get all the sound - with all the depth of PC editing. Amazing :D
u0421793
Common Wiggler

Post by u0421793 »

If the physical and software OpSixes do sound identical, then it could just be me driving the physical one’s stereo pair into my Steinberg UR22C a bit dangerously hot, as I tend to do. It’s certainly given the same patches (my own patches) a lot more balls that way. But the impression I get is that no matter the levels, even if I’m tame and conservative and well behaved, there’s just a ‘bigger’ or even ‘fuller’ and more powerful sound with my physical OpSix. It could just be my impression, hence my asking. I don’t quite know what I’m hearing, it’s as if the physical one has the ‘better’ knob turned up more, if there were such a knob.
gminorcoles
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gminorcoles »

u0421793 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:32 am If the physical and software OpSixes do sound identical, then it could just be me driving the physical one’s stereo pair into my Steinberg UR22C a bit dangerously hot, as I tend to do. It’s certainly given the same patches (my own patches) a lot more balls that way. But the impression I get is that no matter the levels, even if I’m tame and conservative and well behaved, there’s just a ‘bigger’ or even ‘fuller’ and more powerful sound with my physical OpSix. It could just be my impression, hence my asking. I don’t quite know what I’m hearing, it’s as if the physical one has the ‘better’ knob turned up more, if there were such a knob.
For me, any vague quality that could be explained by distortion or just turning the volume up or down isn't really on ny radar. It's not that I disagree I just don't care, i will just turn the volume up a bit.
u0421793
Common Wiggler

Post by u0421793 »

gminorcoles wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:29 am
u0421793 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:32 am If the physical and software OpSixes do sound identical, then it could just be me driving the physical one’s stereo pair into my Steinberg UR22C a bit dangerously hot, as I tend to do. It’s certainly given the same patches (my own patches) a lot more balls that way. But the impression I get is that no matter the levels, even if I’m tame and conservative and well behaved, there’s just a ‘bigger’ or even ‘fuller’ and more powerful sound with my physical OpSix. It could just be my impression, hence my asking. I don’t quite know what I’m hearing, it’s as if the physical one has the ‘better’ knob turned up more, if there were such a knob.
For me, any vague quality that could be explained by distortion or just turning the volume up or down isn't really on ny radar. It's not that I disagree I just don't care, i will just turn the volume up a bit.
True, could be just that that's going on, then.
Headphones73
Common Wiggler

Post by Headphones73 »

I wish it had more keys, but I wouldn’t necessarily like to plop on another $300-400 for more. I’m very tempted by it and liked what I heard at a music store that had it. Maybe for Christmas I’ll treat myself??
Gear owned: Hungry Robot Modular Oscillator, Output, Slew, Sample & Hold, Sonicsmith Modulor A1, Behringer Crave, RD6, RD9, TD3, TD3MO, Korg EA-1, ER-1 MK2, Boss SP202, SP404, SP505, RE20, Line 6 M5, Akai Miniak, S20, XR20, S2000, Moog MF102, MF104M, CP251, Dreadbox Taff2, Roland SP202, SP404, SP505, RC505
Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol »

Headphones73 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:39 pm I wish it had more keys, but I wouldn’t necessarily like to plop on another $300-400 for more. I’m very tempted by it and liked what I heard at a music store that had it. Maybe for Christmas I’ll treat myself??
As a plugin it's just 150 bucks now. Some early Christmas perhaps?
https://korg.shop/opsix-native.html?___store=english
Gaun Yersel!
Headphones73
Common Wiggler

Post by Headphones73 »

No computer, and I prefer hardware over DAWs/Software.
Gear owned: Hungry Robot Modular Oscillator, Output, Slew, Sample & Hold, Sonicsmith Modulor A1, Behringer Crave, RD6, RD9, TD3, TD3MO, Korg EA-1, ER-1 MK2, Boss SP202, SP404, SP505, RE20, Line 6 M5, Akai Miniak, S20, XR20, S2000, Moog MF102, MF104M, CP251, Dreadbox Taff2, Roland SP202, SP404, SP505, RC505
dopefiend
Likes SHOUTING!

Post by dopefiend »

Headphones73 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:50 pm No computer, and I prefer hardware over DAWs/Software.
Hey! Another kindred soul! I can’t stand computers, and have no interest in learning how to operate DAW’s. I thought I was the only one… :yay:
Noisemakers: Maracas. Squeaky shoes. Bean-induced flatulence.
An oncologist is like The Lone Ranger: he is chemo savvy.
Headphones73
Common Wiggler

Post by Headphones73 »

I can’t stand crashing computers, viruses, constantly updating operating systems, and having to micromanage where you put every .wav sample, VST/AU, and missing the “feel” of touching a real piece of kit. Yeah there’s tons of controllers, but to me it just ain’t the same.

If I could afford a Mac & Ableton I’d probably use both. But I just can’t be bothered. Gear isn’t perfect either, with a rats nest of patch/power/audio cables, but I never seem to get issues from my stuff.

Return to “General Gear”