Sequential Pro 3

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

unease
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Sequential Pro 3

Post by unease »

Thanks guys! Yes there’s more to it than just getting the synth patches as close as possible. They recorded to tape and used high end reverbs like Lexicon 224 etc, which adds a lot to the character. Many of the sounds were probably done on an Arp 2600 (which I don’t have) rather than on the Pro-One (which I have) and I’m not sure how close the Pro-3 can get to the Arp. I think it can get close to the Pro-One sounds though.
wiperactive
Veteran Wiggler

Post by wiperactive »

Much has been made of the "one filter at a time" configuration in the Pro 3. I don't have access to one but intend to buy in the not too distant future being quite happy with this filter set-up, but...

.., after a little RTFM session something quite promising presented itself. I can't find any mention of anyone's experience in utilising the 4th high-pass filter 'hidden' within the effects section, say, in series (as it seems it must be) with the any of the front panel analogue filters, albeit I would reckon, with it being placed at the end of the signal chain post VCA. Like the rest of the effects this filter can have two parameters modulated from numerous independent front panel sources (including ADSR and LFO), in this case the cut-off and resonance. This would typically be used at a 100% wet 'effects' setting.

I should imagine that this admittedly digital 'effects' HPF has enough response to modulation to be quite useful in extended dynamic tone manipulation in conjunction with any of the other filters (typically set as LPFs) to render a workable and extra dynamic band-pass filter.

Anyone tried this, and if so, what is the quality of the results?
unease
Wiggling with Experience

Post by unease »

Yes, it works just like you would have another filter after the analogue one. You can modulate both cutoff, resonance and mix with any modulator like envelops, controls, oscillators etc. Since the modulation is done at full audio rate, it works really well even for fast modulation.
wiperactive
Veteran Wiggler

Post by wiperactive »

unease wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:12 am Yes, it works just like you would have another filter after the analogue one. You can modulate both cutoff, resonance and mix with any modulator like envelops, controls, oscillators etc. Since the modulation is done at full audio rate, it works really well even for fast modulation.
Thanks unease. Quite surprised there's been no mention of it - so far as I can see - here or elsewhere. So would you say that it imparts a noticeably digital character to things or would it pass as an analogue-like implementation (especially concerning resonance) that sits nicely with the other onboard analogue filters? I'm kind of guessing, from your comments, that the latter is more the case.

I'm wondering if it would stand favourable comparison with a similar configuration on something like the Pro 2 with its front panel dual filters set in series.
grizzleb
Common Wiggler

Post by grizzleb »

Yeah the hi pass filter isn't a character filter at all but can come in handy for some patches. More of a useful utility than anything I would use for patching regularly but I dunno maybe others have had more use of it
unease
Wiggling with Experience

Post by unease »

I would agree with grizzleb, the digital filter works just fine and I don't think it imparts a particular digital character if you use it. But I wouldn't expect the same kind of character as the analogue filter(s). The resonance will not get close to self resonant and you won't get any nice saturation effects but it still works well, just like some other VA filters. I tend to use it mostly as en EQ, to remove low frequencies for e.g. drum sounds etc.
wiperactive
Veteran Wiggler

Post by wiperactive »

Thanks for those clarifications grizzleb and unease, homing in a bit more on the nature of that filter has been most helpful.
thevegasnerve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thevegasnerve »

Have a Pro3 on the way! I think it’s gonna compliment the Sub37 well.
strettara
which way is up?

Post by strettara »

Well I've had the Pro3 for a few months now and it is a mighty tool. Unfortunately the firmware seems to be quite buggy - yes I have the latest - and I get intermittent problems like envelopes not behaving as they should if I've left it on but untouched for half an hour or so... occasionally it just freezes and I have to switch it off and back on again, which is annoying if I am at a certain point with a patch and haven't saved it yet. These problems usually crop up after I've left the synth untouched for a while, I'll try disabling the screensaver and see if that has any effect.

But apart from that it's very useful. I'm not a big sound designer by any stretch of the imagination - I've come to realise that I like simple sounds without too much automated modulation or too much going on and it's definitely very useful for that - and much more. The keyboard action is crisp, light and precise, which is ideal for how I'm using it, and the sequencer and arpeggiator are very powerful and useful.

Am I the only person who would like to have a clock that runs slower than 30 bpm?

Do I love it? Is it the apple of my eye? Frankly, no. It's a very useful tool in my music making but I could replace it tomorrow with an alternative without a twinge of regret. I could see selling it to part finance a Voyager and being very happy with the outcome, but it's not anything I feel a strong urge to do. The Pro3 gets the job done for the time being.
"Three generations of imbeciles is enough." - Oliver Wendell Holmes.

taylor12k
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by taylor12k »

i had a Pro 3 for about a year and just sold it and bought a Pro 2. i really love paraphonic synths and the 3 gave me something no other synth in my studio did with that feature.. especially the ability to trigger sequencer steps with each press of a key...

but in the end, i was not crazy about the sound of the oscillators, most of the wavetables, or the filters. speaking of the filters, and the high pass mentioned above.. for me, i found every patch i made needed the high pass filter to cut mud.. so i'm glad it was there.

the pro 2 seemed really interesting.. adding more flexible filters, FM and digital oscillators, including a sine wave. i much prefer the more cleaner sound of the pro 2's oscillators and it has 4 voices of paraphony instead of 3 ... i haven't found anything yet that the 3 had that i miss that the 2 doesn't have... it even looks cooler.. those rubber over-designed knobs on the 3 were a bit cheesy..

oh, the 3 does have one thing the 2 doesn't have.. the beautiful SEQUENTIAL name plate... oh well :)

but, at the end of the day, while i had some really interesting sounds on the 3, something about it just didn't gel for me and i much prefer the 2.
In_black
Common Wiggler

Post by In_black »

taylor12k wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:39 am i had a Pro 3 for about a year and just sold it and bought a Pro 2. i really love paraphonic synths and the 3 gave me something no other synth in my studio did with that feature.. especially the ability to trigger sequencer steps with each press of a key...

but in the end, i was not crazy about the sound of the oscillators, most of the wavetables, or the filters. speaking of the filters, and the high pass mentioned above.. for me, i found every patch i made needed the high pass filter to cut mud.. so i'm glad it was there.

the pro 2 seemed really interesting.. adding more flexible filters, FM and digital oscillators, including a sine wave. i much prefer the more cleaner sound of the pro 2's oscillators and it has 4 voices of paraphony instead of 3 ... i haven't found anything yet that the 3 had that i miss that the 2 doesn't have... it even looks cooler.. those rubber over-designed knobs on the 3 were a bit cheesy..

oh, the 3 does have one thing the 2 doesn't have.. the beautiful SEQUENTIAL name plate... oh well :)

but, at the end of the day, while i had some really interesting sounds on the 3, something about it just didn't gel for me and i much prefer the 2.
I recently parted with my Pro-3 too due to it sounding too muddy. It was a bummer, I really wanted to like it.
thevegasnerve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thevegasnerve »

Mine appears to have the issue with a second filter led flickering while it’s set on a different one. I guess I will have to see what Sequential says. Otherwise, it’s a cool synth but I’m not entirely sold on it. But i will give it time to see if it can find its voice. The OTA filter is really nice, definitely the standout for me.. I love the interface, keys feels really nice, and it will probably make an outstanding controller. so we shall see.
sinfunc
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sinfunc »

my first impression after only about a day with one is that it's really scratching my itch for a pro one. i'm certainly much happier with the pro 3 than i would have been with the toraiz as-1 i was previously considering. suppose time will tell if the enthusiasm is lasting but couldn't be happier at the moment...
thevegasnerve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thevegasnerve »

sinfunc wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:18 pm my first impression after only about a day with one is that it's really scratching my itch for a pro one. i'm certainly much happier with the pro 3 than i would have been with the toraiz as-1 i was previously considering. suppose time will tell if the enthusiasm is lasting but couldn't be happier at the moment...
the Pro One presets I remember playing sounded really good. This synth can get the Prophet vibe well. But the wavetables is why I will likely keep it. That adds another dimension.
unease
Wiggling with Experience

Post by unease »

When I try to replicate Pro-One sound on my Pro-3, I can get it to sound really close. It’s not going to sound exactly the same since the filter is a bit warmer on the Pro-3 (filter 1). The ladder filter is brighter but sounds different in other ways. But the Pro-3 can capture more or less everything I like about the sound of the Pro-One, maybe except some quirks that come from the scratchy pots etc.

I don’t think I’ll ever sell the Pro-One anyway though, there’s just this thing with playing an old synth that is inspiring and make you approach it in other ways.
thevegasnerve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thevegasnerve »

unease wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:02 am When I try to replicate Pro-One sound on my Pro-3, I can get it to sound really close. It’s not going to sound exactly the same since the filter is a bit warmer on the Pro-3 (filter 1). The ladder filter is brighter but sounds different in other ways. But the Pro-3 can capture more or less everything I like about the sound of the Pro-One, maybe except some quirks that come from the scratchy pots etc.

I don’t think I’ll ever sell the Pro-One anyway though, there’s just this thing with playing an old synth that is inspiring and make you approach it in other ways.
no doubt, keep the original! I am holding the Pro 3 to a high standard given all the choices, but the fact it can cover some Prophet territory is great.its my first synth with so many modulation capabilities that it’s a little overwhelming! in a good way.
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

I'm not sure what exactly pushed me to take the plunge with the pro 3.

I had decided not to buy any more synths from them, but as usual with these kind of things, I can't remember exactly why.

The only experience that I would describe as bad was from years ago, and it was really about the disparity between the ads for the polyevolver, and the actual instrument. I bought the keyboard when it was pretty new, and no one seemed to know that their claim that it was like 4 evolvers in a box wasn't really true. What I had to discover for myself was that (this after spending all afternoon building a multi) when you then saved the multi, it initialized all of the individual patches. It was all gone. WTF? I got an answer from DSI (from Dave himself) which was that people would get "confused", since the multi contained references to the patches only, and the patches would get overwritten.

I thought that this answer was a bit bizarre - here there was this synth with crazy modulation and other capabilities, seemingly meant for precisely those people who wouldn't get confused....

I haven't returned many synths over the years, but this one went back, and I insisted on no return shipping or restocking fee - since the info on it was obviously not correct.

but hell, that was years ago.....I've tried a couple of others over the years...the prophet 12 is a fine instrument, but i don't think that the core sound is very good. Just me - it just started grating on me really quickly. And then there was the pro 2. I remember really liking it, but ultimately selling since at the time I just didn't have the space for it. But I remember it as being fun....which was nagging at me.

And I suppose it was just too easy after a couple of glasses of wine to just spring for one....

but the surprise for me is how fun this instrument is. It's like, there are no real surprises with a DSI/sequential synth - he just takes what he's already done and perfects it a bit more for the particular context (in this case, keyboard mono synth with sequencer and lots of modulation). But the ui just flows for me. The sound isn't as strong as some other synths I have, but it is damn well good enough. And did I say that it's lots of fun? I was torn between buying this and the pro 2, but my intuition was to go for the one with the updated sequencer (can't remember why i decided it was worth going for the pro 3). I don't have the pro 2 to compare this with, but I have no temptation to try to turn the pro 3 into a pro 2.

I am pretty fucking disappointed with the soundtower editor though. They used to be called 'sucktower' on one particular list because their stuff tended to be so buggy. I don't even boot the editor up now because important stuff just doesn't work. It is so blatant that I doubt they tested it completely. For instance, from what I could tell, you can't edit the ratcheting for the sequencer. The option is there, but when I select it, it doesn't do anything. It's really easy to edit on the synth itself. And there was at least one other bug like this that I found.
Wavtekt
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Wavtekt »

Well Sequential Pro 3 perhaps not the best sounding synth out there, but definitely a very flexible workhorse that integrates with Eurorack well!

You can do plenty of advanced modulation with the sequencer like envelope trigger specific step, 1-64 step sequences, octave shift, modulating effects with CV etc., plus you can use gate or trigger to activate the sequencer.

Lots of distortion paths: analog distortion, filter feedback and overdrive, digital tuned feedback.

Plus a customizable wavetable oscillator and CV connections.

You can get complex modulations out of it, meanwhile still very intuitive to use.

I think Sequential has push the Pro / Evolver line to almost perfection.
Last edited by Wavtekt on Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
thevegasnerve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thevegasnerve »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:05 pm I'm not sure what exactly pushed me to take the plunge with the pro 3.

I had decided not to buy any more synths from them, but as usual with these kind of things, I can't remember exactly why.

The only experience that I would describe as bad was from years ago, and it was really about the disparity between the ads for the polyevolver, and the actual instrument. I bought the keyboard when it was pretty new, and no one seemed to know that their claim that it was like 4 evolvers in a box wasn't really true. What I had to discover for myself was that (this after spending all afternoon building a multi) when you then saved the multi, it initialized all of the individual patches. It was all gone. WTF? I got an answer from DSI (from Dave himself) which was that people would get "confused", since the multi contained references to the patches only, and the patches would get overwritten.

I thought that this answer was a bit bizarre - here there was this synth with crazy modulation and other capabilities, seemingly meant for precisely those people who wouldn't get confused....

I haven't returned many synths over the years, but this one went back, and I insisted on no return shipping or restocking fee - since the info on it was obviously not correct.

but hell, that was years ago.....I've tried a couple of others over the years...the prophet 12 is a fine instrument, but i don't think that the core sound is very good. Just me - it just started grating on me really quickly. And then there was the pro 2. I remember really liking it, but ultimately selling since at the time I just didn't have the space for it. But I remember it as being fun....which was nagging at me.

And I suppose it was just too easy after a couple of glasses of wine to just spring for one....

but the surprise for me is how fun this instrument is. It's like, there are no real surprises with a DSI/sequential synth - he just takes what he's already done and perfects it a bit more for the particular context (in this case, keyboard mono synth with sequencer and lots of modulation). But the ui just flows for me. The sound isn't as strong as some other synths I have, but it is damn well good enough. And did I say that it's lots of fun? I was torn between buying this and the pro 2, but my intuition was to go for the one with the updated sequencer (can't remember why i decided it was worth going for the pro 3). I don't have the pro 2 to compare this with, but I have no temptation to try to turn the pro 3 into a pro 2.
totally agree with this. it really feels like Sequential has “evolved” a lot these past 10 years due to the constant new products. the Pro3 has so many of its better parts as a synth maker.
thevegasnerve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thevegasnerve »

Pro 3 week! I heard a morphing feature and more wavetables are coming.

dBVelocity
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dBVelocity »

Oh yes...Patch Morphing!? So glad I finally picked one up.
strettara
which way is up?

Post by strettara »

I’ve been having some fun recently running the C15 through the Pro 3’s mixer and combining it with its own voices in paraphonic mode, filters, effects and tuned feedback. Using the audio in to fm the Pro 3’s oscillators or filters. Lots of potential for thickening up the acoustic sound of the C15 with extra oscillators and now the C15 has midi, plenty of potential for mutual control.
"Three generations of imbeciles is enough." - Oliver Wendell Holmes.

orangehexagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by orangehexagon »

I have a Pro 3 up for sale in the For Sale thread... It's a fun synth but i need to pay bills.

Honestly my favorite part of the synth is how easy it is to assign things to the modulation matrix
thevegasnerve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thevegasnerve »

orangehexagon wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:42 pm I have a Pro 3 up for sale in the For Sale thread... It's a fun synth but i need to pay bills.

Honestly my favorite part of the synth is how easy it is to assign things to the modulation matrix
sorry you have to sell. someone should grab it quickly!
r010159
1-Post Wiggler

Post by r010159 »

I Have a question for those of you that own this synth I have recently acquired one for myself. I think there’s a problem. Each VCA sounds fine when played individually. When both are played at the same time, pitch slowly goes up and down within a wide range, periodically with something that sounds like a sine wave at a hogher pitch. Its like the filter is being modulated, but of course this does not fully explain the problem.

I have all mod sources disabled, fine tune knobs at their neutral positions, and the slop for both is set at zero.

What is happening here? Does anyone else have their synth with this problem? My retailer told me that it is normal for VCAs to behave this way. However, IMO the specifics of this matter point in another direction.

Thanks!

Bob

Return to “General Gear”