Sequential Pro 3

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

strettara
which way is up?

Re: Sequential Pro 3

Post by strettara »

Stupid question most likely, but can you use the Pro 3 as a polyphonic midi controller? I am really leaning towards this synth and this would be the absolute cherry on the cake. I assume the answer is yes, just checking.
"Three generations of imbeciles is enough." - Oliver Wendell Holmes.

wiperactive
Veteran Wiggler

Post by wiperactive »

I would have thought so. All MIDI equipped monos, in my experience, transmit polyphonically. I'm currently using a Korg Prophecy mono synth to keyboard control a Modal Argon8m polysynth with no problems.
nostalghia
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nostalghia »

I can confirm the assumption-answer is yes.

I just tried it with my Pro 3, since I realized I had never actually done that in the time I've had it, as I use my Kawai K5000S as the primary controller to play midi rack modules polyphonically. Played some chords on a Yamaha Motif rack from the Pro 3 keyboard. Pitch and mod wheels, octave transpose switches all affect the Motif too. Did not try using the knobs to transmit CC data, but no reason that shouldn't work too if set up properly on the Pro 3 and receiving unit.

Only odd or negative thing to mention is that the master volume knob (output level) on the Pro 3 affects the remote synth's volume level too, and I couldn't figure out how to prevent that (didn't see anything to indicate knob is transmitting cc#7, midi volume). Think I remember seeing someone post about this on the Sequential forum. May need a firmware update?
“If you look for a meaning, you'll miss everything that happens.” - Andrei Tarkovsky
https://soundcloud.com/nostalghia70s
strettara
which way is up?

Post by strettara »

Well the Pro 3 arrived last night. When I opened the package though, I found it was an old TV with "seq 3 (pro)" scrawled on the back in white marker, along with some gingerbread biscuits which I have to admit weren't even stale. Quite tasty actually. Then I woke up.

So this morning I ordered the SE. It's gotta be the SE innit.

Totally fucking excited. Oh my god.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol »

strettara wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:12 am Well the Pro 3 arrived last night. When I opened the package though, I found it was an old TV with "seq 3 (pro)" scrawled on the back in white marker, along with some gingerbread biscuits which I have to admit weren't even stale. Quite tasty actually. Then I woke up.

So this morning I ordered the SE. It's gotta be the SE innit.

Totally fucking excited. Oh my god.
Ooohhh an SE. Quite envious. Do share some pics of that tasty bugger please.
Gaun Yersel!
strettara
which way is up?

Post by strettara »

It’s an indulgence, but also practical. With the Pro 3 on a second tier above and behind the C15 (it needs a second stand because the C15 is 40cm deep), the option to raise the control panel is more ergonomic. And of course it just looks so cool :party:

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

Nice! Looks like an excellent synth. Great combination. Funny dream.
Technologear?
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Technologear? »

induktor wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:51 am It's exactly what I had hoped it would be. To me it's an evolution of the Evolver. Gnarly industrial face punch.
That last statement just got me interested, cheers.
strettara
which way is up?

Post by strettara »

Well it’s here. First impressions are that it’s beautifully designed and built, a vast range of preset sounds and the low end shakes the room. I’ll know more in a week or so. Right now my mind is blown.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol »

strettara wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:09 am Well it’s here. First impressions are that it’s beautifully designed and built, a vast range of preset sounds and the low end shakes the room. I’ll know more in a week or so. Right now my mind is blown.
Enjoy!! :party: :party:

Some ideas perhaps, I think that Paul has some tutorials up on YT too.
https://m.soundcloud.com/pauldither/set ... tial-pro-3
Gaun Yersel!
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

strettara wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:09 am Well it’s here. First impressions are that it’s beautifully designed and built, a vast range of preset sounds and the low end shakes the room. I’ll know more in a week or so. Right now my mind is blown.
:tu:
h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted »

The SE is nice just for the printed legend , the standard is a sticker. Not that it’s bad or anything , I love my standard.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.
strettara
which way is up?

Post by strettara »

I also like the wooden cheeks and the tilting panel, but it’s a matter of personal taste in the end. I just felt like spoiling myself because I could, and I’m happy I did.

strettara
which way is up?

Post by strettara »

Has anyone else experienced their Pro 3 just locking up and playing a single note? Even the master volume control doesn't work. I have to turn it off and back on again to reset it.

On second thoughts this may be due to being in one of the menus...
Last edited by strettara on Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moho
Common Wiggler

Post by Moho »

strettara wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:42 am Has anyone else experienced their Pro 3 just locking up and playing a single note? Even the master volume control doesn't work. I have to turn it off and back on again to reset it.
Make sure the firmware is up to date the early ones were pretty buggy :tu:
grizzleb
Common Wiggler

Post by grizzleb »

strettara wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:42 am Has anyone else experienced their Pro 3 just locking up and playing a single note? Even the master volume control doesn't work. I have to turn it off and back on again to reset it.

On second thoughts this may be due to being in one of the menus...
Yeah that happens to mine pretty regularly. I'm pretty lazy I should really email sequential about it but haven't gotten round to it yet
strettara
which way is up?

Post by strettara »

Thanks Moho. I just updated the OS, pretty straightforward. I was on 1.0.0, now updated to 1.1.0. Uploading the new OS reminded me of the old dialup modem days :lol: Hopefully that will resolve the problem.

grizzleb
Common Wiggler

Post by grizzleb »

I'm on the latest firmware and it still does it so let me know how you get on strettara
induktor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by induktor »

Interesting. This hasn't happened to me yet. I'll post a follow up is it does.
strettara
which way is up?

Post by strettara »

The firmware update seems to have solved the problem which hasn't cropped up since.

Apart from that... this machine is magical. I am literally dumbfounded by what it can do.

mallarme
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mallarme »

Couldn't find this on the thread, so I'll ask now. Can this synth sound clean and beautiful as well? Capable of more ethereal tones, specially when arpeggiated? Or it is just raw, aggressive, grumbling noise? I know it is perfect for drones, and I had an Evolver back in the day and loved it and can see this as being Evolver on steroids, but I also appreciate quieter textures, softer sounds. It looks like modulation heaven and I'm tempted, but I'm trying to find examples of more clean timbres... Thank you.
Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis »

mallarme wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:20 am Couldn't find this on the thread, so I'll ask now. Can this synth sound clean and beautiful as well? Capable of more ethereal tones, specially when arpeggiated? Or it is just raw, aggressive, grumbling noise? I know it is perfect for drones, and I had an Evolver back in the day and loved it and can see this as being Evolver on steroids, but I also appreciate quieter textures, softer sounds. It looks like modulation heaven and I'm tempted, but I'm trying to find examples of more clean timbres... Thank you.
I think the Pro 2 is closer to the Evolver, but the Evolver is far grittier. Even the Pro 2 is capable of those sounds. I’d be shocked if the Pro 3 wasn’t. I am tempted almost weekly by the Pro 3. I own a Pro 2 and love it but the Pro 3 really calls out to me. Especially with the ability to load your own wavetables. The limited tables in the Pro 2 are frustrating. I mention this because I would think it makes the Pro 3 all the more flexible. The major shortcoming of the 3 vs 2 to me is the filter routing. I don’t think I would be willing to give up the flexibility of the 2 for the features of the 3.
unease
Wiggling with Experience

Post by unease »

Some of you may already have heard this but I did a demo of the Pro-3 where I tried to recreate some of the early songs by Yazoo, mostly from Upstairs at Eric's. I used the Pro-3 as the only sound source and only it's internal effect, no other processing. I think this demo shows that the Pro-3 can do other sounds than the more distorted and evil ones (which I really love though!)

/TOmmy
jabberwalky
Common Wiggler

Post by jabberwalky »

unease wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:27 am Some of you may already have heard this but I did a demo of the Pro-3 where I tried to recreate some of the early songs by Yazoo, mostly from Upstairs at Eric's. I used the Pro-3 as the only sound source and only it's internal effect, no other processing. I think this demo shows that the Pro-3 can do other sounds than the more distorted and evil ones (which I really love though!)

/TOmmy
Unease! I remember browsing your Yazoo recreations ages ago for the original P1. Great work on the new version. Some patches sound dead on (the lead in Situation), while others sound a bit more weedy to my ear. I think the original production on those records has a lot to do with it as well. Very dry and up front mix that still has a lot of punch today.
https://www.youtube.com/c/FortressofSound/videos - NEW "The History of The Cat synthesizer | with exclusive creator interview | Performances | & slime!"
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi »

unease wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:27 am Some of you may already have heard this but I did a demo of the Pro-3 where I tried to recreate some of the early songs by Yazoo, mostly from Upstairs at Eric's. I used the Pro-3 as the only sound source and only it's internal effect, no other processing. I think this demo shows that the Pro-3 can do other sounds than the more distorted and evil ones (which I really love though!)

/TOmmy
sounds great!
as said before, some patches are practically identical to the OG, and others sounds like made by the meth-addict Vince Clarke evil twin! a more abrasive version of the originals that I like a lot too!
great audio, thanks for sharing this

Return to “General Gear”