Sequential Pro 3

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Sequential Pro 3

Post by h4ndcrafted »

Just wanted to say, the recent update has fixed my issues, gate mode working well now, effects clipping gone!

The update took a while , so I was guessing they were going to get the big bugs out the way. These updates are still listed as beta though.

There are some issues still , like values lagging to update etc, but it’s gone from doing not much, to being a lot more usable.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.
Thelefthandpath
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Thelefthandpath »

Divinital_ wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:19 am
Thelefthandpath wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:59 am Just got mine today. It's beautiful both in sound and looks. I'm sure if I could be bothered I could find things not to enjoy, but I'm not that kind of loser to look for problems. It's perfect for the industrial metal band I'm in, and sounds great with Prophet 6.
I cancelled my order due to the uncertainty of the global climate and already having an ARP 2600 on preorder. I'd like to hear some of the music your band does utilizing the Pro 3. It really excels at industrial sounds. Enjoy.
Sadly as a late member to the band I don't own any rights to the music & they're currently suing theIt old label so all music is down for now but we hope to have something finished next year, released independently on vinyl & digital.
Tofupancho
Common Wiggler

Post by Tofupancho »

h4ndcrafted wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 3:32 am Just wanted to say, the recent update has fixed my issues, gate mode working well now, effects clipping gone!
That’s awesome! Although not gonna lie, waiting for shipment was a lot easier when there were major bugs to be squashed. Great demos still popping up are a big help.
Tofupancho
Common Wiggler

Post by Tofupancho »

Turns out I just needed to say it out loud. My SE showed up at my dealer today!
coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg »

Just out of curiosity, are the Pro-3's filters discrete?
New video on Prophet 12 Drone Patches:
Prophet 12 Drone Patches
Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol »

coolshirtdotjpg wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:04 am Just out of curiosity, are the Pro-3's filters discrete?
Discrete in operation, discrete in sound (if you don't crank the resonance ghehe), but looks like it's an integrated circuit looking at the panel controls alone (can only assume, perhaps someone has already openend it).
Gaun Yersel!
coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Voltcontrol wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:47 am
coolshirtdotjpg wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:04 am Just out of curiosity, are the Pro-3's filters discrete?
Discrete in operation, discrete in sound (if you don't crank the resonance ghehe), but looks like it's an integrated circuit looking at the panel controls alone (can only assume, perhaps someone has already openend it).
Not that it matters, but the prophet 6, the pro 2 and probably the OB-6 have discrete filters, I figured the pro-3 would be the same, but I haven’t seen it described in the literature. Again, doesn’t matter as far as it being a great synth, I’m just wondering what chips were used, if they are not.
Prophet 12 Drone Patches
Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol »

coolshirtdotjpg wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:39 am
Not that it matters, but the prophet 6, the pro 2 and probably the OB-6 have discrete filters, I figured the pro-3 would be the same, but I haven’t seen it described in the literature. Again, doesn’t matter as far as it being a great synth, I’m just wondering what chips were used, if they are not.
Meant to add that I'm also curious to find out if it is or ain't. :)
Gaun Yersel!
coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Voltcontrol wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:48 pm
Meant to add that I'm also curious to find out if it is or ain't. :)
Yeah, totally. Either way, it's one of the best mono synths ever made. I want one despite having a Prophet 6 and a Pro 2. It's just a beast.
Prophet 12 Drone Patches
gruebleengourd
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gruebleengourd »

coolshirtdotjpg wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:04 pm
Yeah, totally. Either way, it's one of the best mono synths ever made. I want one despite having a Prophet 6 and a Pro 2. It's just a beast.
I for one didn't gel with it. While it is certainly capable it I didn't really like the inherent tone or the complexity and menu system. Spending 40 minutes tweaking the modulation of an envelope on a tiny screen and then adjusting the times, and then readjusting the modulation again ... just to get a contour that sounds right is not fun. Was not a joyful synth for me. First keyboard I ever returned. It doesn't mean much to me if it is a "preset" modular if I can't ever make the patch sound like I want and I can program something equivalent/better on the modular 10x as fast. Ultimately it made me fully realize I am pretty opposite it's design philosophy.
OTOH I love the prophet12.
Last edited by gruebleengourd on Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gruebleengourd
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gruebleengourd »

double
coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

gruebleengourd wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:35 pm
coolshirtdotjpg wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:04 pm
I for one didn't gel with it. While it is certainly capable it I didn't really like the inherent tone or the complexity and menu system. Spending 40 minutes tweaking the modulation of an envelope on a tiny screen and then adjusting the times, and then readjusting the modulation again ... just to get a contour that sounds right is not fun. Was not a joyful synth for me. First keyboard I ever returned. It doesn't mean much to me if it is a "preset" modular if I can't ever make the patch sound like I want and I can program something equivalent/better on the modular 10x as fast. Ultimately it made me fully realize I am pretty opposite it's design philosophy.
OTOH I love the prophet12.
That’s funny, I love the Prophet 12, but I only have the module, so i guess that messing around with screens isn’t an issue for me. I do know what you mean about the envelope. It takes too much time to do something really easy on Maths for example, but I also think when buying a synth like this you just need to embrace the limitations and workarounds you find. Probably there’s a faster way of getting the results you are looking for. Every time I get a new instrument it takes 10X as long to do things, until I find a workaround. Probably you would find envelope curve settings that work for you and just use those in every patch, or create a basic patch with the envelope curve pre-set and just copy that when you want to initialize a patch. But also, if you don’t get along with a synth, that’s just the way it goes. There are plenty that I haven’t gotten along with
Prophet 12 Drone Patches
gruebleengourd
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gruebleengourd »

coolshirtdotjpg wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:39 am That’s funny, I love the Prophet 12, but I only have the module, so i guess that messing around with screens isn’t an issue for me.
I have the P12 module too. It doesn't bother me at all there. I think because it is all so compact and you are not jumping from here to there and it's easier to have the screen setup central where you can read it well. As I said I no longer have the Pro3 anymore but the screen seemed smaller and more distant, more difficult to use. I'm sure it's actually the same size, but the setup / perception is different I guess.

I'm not at all saying it's a bad synth, but I think the hyperbole of best mono synth ever is overblown at the moment. It is flexible, but it is also all over the place. It offers the patching possibilities of a modular with storage, but without the continuous resolution that let's you coax a fully analog system into a breathing creature. It suffers from my #1 pet peeve, oscillator modulation resolution where I would only ever use the first value for pitch mod. I suppose you can set some modulator on the modulation to fix that too. There is probably some way to make almost anything work, but it can take a lot of work. It's a bit too blank slate in tone as well, and a tendency to be more harsh/hard than toasted when you try to use the different overdrive options. I struggled to make it sound "good to me." I almost always ended up using the SEM filter, but everytime I did I would look over to my telemark and wonder why I am spending so much time trying to make this sound "good to me." Something similar in depth of programmability, that I do like is the xenophone hypersynth. If I were to go modern monosynth that would be my pick, but I already got a buddy to buy one...

The biggest thing was since I already have the p12, a sem based mono and a moog mono, it really didn't bring anything new, and each facet was covered better by the device I already had with more joy. I was at least expecting it to satisfy me in a sequential mono manner ala the pro-1 or evolver. I had sold a toriaz as-1 to partially fund this, and to me that had a better prophet mono sound, despite the minimal interface. I guess it is a compliment that it is not really a retread or replacement of older sequential monos, but I didn't connect with this one. It was a really strange feeling because I *love* synthesizers and am so rarely disappointed.
coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Those are all interesting points. I don't actually own one since I have a Pro-2, Prophet 6, Prophet 12, etc., but loved it when I had chance to record with one. I think it's more, if you only had one synth, that's seems like it's the one to get, if you are willing put up with it's quirks. I actually feel the same way you do, but about Moogs. I like my model D clone, but any moog stuff I've ever owned/had access to, I've never enjoyed using. I don't the way the moog ladder filter sounds, they always seem too costly for their capabilities, etc.
Prophet 12 Drone Patches
gruebleengourd
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gruebleengourd »

coolshirtdotjpg wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:20 am Those are all interesting points. I don't actually own one since I have a Pro-2, Prophet 6, Prophet 12, etc
The place where the Pro3 rules is in the step sequencer / arpeggiator. However, I am just not really into that busy 16 step techno bleep thing anymore. But if you like that sound it is awesome. It is very powerful the way you can chain patches, use many layers, and interact real time. If you are interested in that pro-1 sequenced techno sound, but want greater variety it's hard to beat.
Last edited by gruebleengourd on Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
gruebleengourd
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gruebleengourd »

double
h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted »

After putting it up against my other synths, the actual sound is as strong as the sequencer imo. It really does all the mono sounds really well. Surprisingly good at Moog stuff.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.
kingsmore
Common Wiggler

Post by kingsmore »

Waiting on my SE but the manual is really good. Very descriptive and a lot of general synthesis info
GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy »

They are discrete according to Carson Day’s demo. VCF 1 is based mostly on the Prophet 6’s filter according to Dave. No idea what components are involved.
deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by deltaphoenix »

I have been enjoying mine. It is my only synth with black and white keys on it - I have a decent amount of all banana modular synths and a little Buchla. Someone above said it made sense as someone's only keyboard and I agree (in my case).

My intent was for something that could cover a lot of sonic territory that had decent keys to make a nice midi controller. Interacting with the bananas via a format jumbler and the Buchla via format jumbler and/or midi Is all a super plus that I have not fully explored.
tom
Common Wiggler

Post by tom »

I like the sound from demos but am wondering how much this is a consumer-toy for kids ...

Am wondering if the digital control is year 2020 ready:

Do all parameters have a resolution of 0-128 7-bit only?
Can you change the shape of the envelopes somehow (exp,lin,log and in between)?
Can you modulate the envelope-stages?
Is there a hold-stage in the envelopes?

Can I route post-filter audio in the modulation matrix?
Does the matrix have PW-Modulation as target?

Can I route stereo LR channels independently with different synthesis?
Can I route audio through the CV outs?

What bit-resolution have the CV outs?
What's the latency of the ADed VCO's in the matrix?
Is all audio out DAed or is there a pure analog path, too?
Thelefthandpath
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Thelefthandpath »

It's a great synth. Sits well in the mix for techno, industrial, trance & heavy metal. Easy to play & program. It does what it says on the box. How about worrying less about the fine details and make music? Or are you just upset that you don't have one?
tom
Common Wiggler

Post by tom »

not at all. And I am sure that I am the only one who can decide what I want or should do ...
I don't see the point in bashing someone who looks at a wider picture and doesn't say yes amen. It's not Hobson's choice.
If the answer to all my questions is no ? no suprise, then this is once more another piece of consumerism, recycled without any progressive thinking by a big company with profit written all over the face.
Many of those features would be in software only and are really easy to implement and very powerful...
I don't think it's too much to ask.
Yes, I know there are synths that sound face-melting with all those limitations and this might be one of them. But then again I have some - they are 20 years old and for this price I want a 2020 mono.

I don't see the point in limiting to the 80s Midi-standard and shapeable envelopes are common nowerdays.
tom wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:27 pm Do all parameters have a resolution of 0-128 7-bit only?
Can you change the shape of the envelopes somehow (exp,lin,log and in between)?
Can you modulate the envelope-stages?
Is there a hold-stage in the envelopes?

Can I route post-filter audio in the modulation matrix?
Does the matrix have PW-Modulation as target?

Can I route stereo LR channels independently with different synthesis?
Can I route audio through the CV outs?

What bit-resolution have the CV outs?
What's the latency of the ADed VCO's in the matrix?
Is all audio out DAed or is there a pure analog path, too?
Last edited by tom on Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy »

tom wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:27 pm I like the sound from demos but am wondering how much this is a consumer-toy for kids ...
Am wondering if the digital control is year 2020 ready:
There are a lot of top shelf synths that don't have the specs you're asking about. Specs that are super important to one person aren''t to another but that doesn't make it a consumer toy.

But here are answers to your questions. Most are available in the manual.

tom wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:27 pm

Do all parameters have a resolution of 0-128 7-bit only? No
Can you change the shape of the envelopes somehow (exp,lin,log and in between)? No
Can you modulate the envelope-stages? Yes
Is there a hold-stage in the envelopes? No

Can I route post-filter audio in the modulation matrix? Yes, Audio Out
Does the matrix have PW-Modulation as target? Yes

Can I route stereo LR channels independently with different synthesis? No
Can I route audio through the CV outs? Yes

What bit-resolution have the CV outs? Don't know
What's the latency of the ADed VCO's in the matrix? Don't know
Is all audio out DAed or is there a pure analog path, too? Analog if effects are off
tom
Common Wiggler

Post by tom »

GuyaGuy wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:42 am
There are a lot of top shelf synths that don't have the specs you're asking about. Specs that are super important to one person aren''t to another
I agree.

Do all parameters have a resolution of 0-128 7-bit only? No

What is the resolution?
Can you modulate the envelope-stages? Yes
Oh cool! It might be possible to shape the curves this way.

Thank you!

Return to “General Gear”