Korg Wavestate

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

shuchoco
Common Wiggler

Re: Korg Wavestate

Post by shuchoco » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:40 am

Ahhh, hold ENTER and press TAP TEMPO and you go to the TEMPO SCREEN. :doh:
shuchoco wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:17 pm
I think the Wavestate is awesome, no doubt, but a couple things are majorly bugging me about it:

1. No BPM indication anywhere??? I can't find the BPM in any of the menus. Read the manual watched lots of tutorials. For a synth that's so good at rhythmic stuff you'd think you'd be able to set the BPM exactly (I realize you can tap tempo). Am I missing something? Please don't tell me to just sync it via MIDI because, duh.

2. Is there a way to re-trigger the envelopes for each sequencer step? I've been hunting around and can't find a way to do this. Seems like it should be an obvious thing.

I'm finding the user experience for the wave-sequencer laborious in general. I feel like they could have made it much more fluid. The fact that you have to menu dive to set the sequence length is insane to me.

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stikygum » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:40 am

shuchoco wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:40 am
Ahhh, hold ENTER and press TAP TEMPO and you go to the TEMPO SCREEN. :doh:
shuchoco wrote:
I think the Wavestate is awesome, no doubt, but a couple things are majorly bugging me about it:

1. No BPM indication anywhere??? I can't find the BPM in any of the menus. Read the manual watched lots of tutorials. For a synth that's so good at rhythmic stuff you'd think you'd be able to set the BPM exactly (I realize you can tap tempo). Am I missing something? Please don't tell me to just sync it via MIDI because, duh.

2. Is there a way to re-trigger the envelopes for each sequencer step? I've been hunting around and can't find a way to do this. Seems like it should be an obvious thing.

I'm finding the user experience for the wave-sequencer laborious in general. I feel like they could have made it much more fluid. The fact that you have to menu dive to set the sequence length is insane to me.
I don't have a Wavestate, but isn't it possible to assign the white knobs to any parameter you want? I thought you could do this per patch. But I understand you're saying that setting the sequence length doesn't have a knob. And I'm guessing that it's not possible that you set that for all patches at the same time. That could be a good feature request, to be able to assign a specific parameter onto any white knob to all patches.
WTB: Intellijel Quadrax

modulator_esp
schizophonic!

Post by modulator_esp » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:31 am

shuchoco wrote:
Tempo is on the Performance Setup page which is the last page of the Performance menus, accessed quickly by 'Shift' + '<' (PAGE -) from PERFORM Home page
I just like weird music and adventures in sound - gear for sale

modulator_esp
schizophonic!

Post by modulator_esp » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:40 am

shuchoco wrote:
I'd suggest trying either the shape sequence, or triggering notes with the arpeggiator and setting your sequences to note advance
I just like weird music and adventures in sound - gear for sale

Christopher W.
Lord of Tweed Manor

Post by Christopher W. » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:28 pm

Finally took delivery of mine after a 14 week wait. First world problems....

After reading all the complaints about the keybed I'm pleasantly surprised it's fine for my needs, though an extra octave or two would've been appreciated. I get the sense I'm going to have to spend a not insignificant amount of time to familiarize myself with it and actually read the manual, but this is not a bad thing - I'm impressed enough with the sound for this to be an inviting prospect rather than one that induces heart palpitations cough Elektron cough.

Tristana
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tristana » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:39 pm

I absolutely want the Wavestate sound- complex polymetric mod sequences combining lots of different timbres.

What I'm concerned about is the Wavestate workflow, though. Lots of time spent navigating menus.

Having just had my hands on a synth that excellently handles this- the Hydrasynth- how frustrated am I gonna be with the Wavestate? Is it simple once you 'get in the zone' or is it an endless stream of trying to remember how-to-do-what in the menus?

Any potential software plug-in substitutes for making similar patterns with an easier-to-use interface?
Have my freebie granular plug-in: viewtopic.php?t=192886

Christopher W.
Lord of Tweed Manor

Post by Christopher W. » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:05 pm

The problem with comparing the WS and Hydra (I've owned both) is that there's no effective way of providing the depth of sequencing options in the WS without resorting to menu diving. It would be nicer to have the multiple screens the Hydra features, but even if it had as many there would still be the need for page scrolling; it's a function of the depth of control.

The Wavestate system divorces waveform data from pitch settings and timing; that alone necessitates multiple pages.
Last edited by Christopher W. on Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:50 pm

One thing about the Wavestate’s complexity is that the menus are relatively shallow. Relatively shallow compared to how deep it is ;)

So even though you have have all those sequencing lanes (timing, sample, pitch, etc), each one has its own button to jump right into editing it. These are all 3 pages deep, and there are the 16 step buttons to go right to any step.
Most of the other functions are also 3 pages deep. And in all cases you can click through a whole page at a time (Shift < >), so you don’t need to go through every parameter to get to deeper ones.

It’s pretty intensive to edit, no doubt, but there are so many dedicated buttons on the panel that they have made it as painless as possible. To start editing any different thing (filter, amp envelope, reverb, pitch LFO, etc) is literally one click. But depending on which type of function it is, there may be from 1 to several pages of parameters to adjust.

I’m almost completely Eurorack, this is the only synth I’m using on a regular basis these days. I’ve saved 20 or so presets so far, and occasionally will add another, but I’m not spending that much time editing, more like a tweak here and there.

Anyway...fear of too much menu diving is totally understandable. And of course “too much” is subjective. For me, it’s been an acceptable price to pay because it sounds so great and can do such cool things.
Last edited by Zymos on Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

galaxiesmerge
Common Wiggler

Post by galaxiesmerge » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:52 pm

This is another super cool synth with a blast from the past but also into the future. The combinations and controls are really the best of what Korg did and its an amazing fun synth. I just got mine. I used to buy only old vintage synths but now I have been buying some of the modern rebuilds and they provide a really cool revision of the originals. Korg release the ARP 2600 unlike Roland whose forays into analog are mostly zero these days. I prefer to see some analog gear also from Roland.

toddADSR
Learning to Wiggle

Post by toddADSR » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:01 pm

Just got mine. One thing though, is prior to release everyone was saying definitely that you could load Wavestation patches into it, but I don't see anywhere that explains how to do that or any conversion app. Did I overlook something?

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:18 pm

I'm tempted by this as a 'one more synth' option to round out my current setup.

It's tough (almost always) listening to demos, since the great majority of people who make them like different kinds of sounds than I do. I usually have to extrapolate greatly from the demos - looking at the capabilities of the instrument, listening to maybe the core sound, if I can glean anything from that.

back when the wavestation came out, i read some rave reviews, and really liking the basic notion of wavesequencing, I bought one. I really hated it - mostly in that it just seemed intended for people who were into new agey sounds and music, and it was really tough to get away from that. Of course, this was years ago and I've learned a lot since then, but I still trust that instinct.

Has anyone who is into more experimental type far, NOT into making pretty sounds (I'm not criticizing people who are - i'm just trying to determine if this synth will work for me, maybe) had a go with this? It looks like there is tons of modulation, etc, and that one could potentially have great fun with it after or even during the learning curve. but i'm wondering if I'm going to have to fight the sounds.

EDIT: i've listened to demo after demo, several 'reviews', and i haven't heard the slightest hint that I wouldn't hate this thing. yeah, forget it. this is not made for me.
Last edited by Nelson Baboon on Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:06 pm

toddADSR wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:01 pm
Just got mine. One thing though, is prior to release everyone was saying definitely that you could load Wavestation patches into it, but I don't see anywhere that explains how to do that or any conversion app. Did I overlook something?
Anyone who was saying that was ignorant-it’s a completely different format. I hope that wasn’t a major reason you bought it. It’s possible someone could write a translator someday, though I don’t think Korg has published the details of the format.

toddADSR
Learning to Wiggle

Post by toddADSR » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:23 pm

No, not the main reason I bought it, but would have been an added bonus as I have many nice Wavestation patches archived. This thing's going to keep me busy as it is.

toddADSR
Learning to Wiggle

Post by toddADSR » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:40 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:18 pm

Can't see why you couldn't do more experimental stuff with the Wavestate, but maybe an Evolver (get crazy mad sounds out of mine) or Argon8?

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:19 am

finally found an online video that convinced me that this is worth a try. daniel fisher's sweetwater demo gets interesting after about 26 minutes. hmmmm- going to order one and see what happens.
Nelson Baboon wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:18 pm

It's tough (almost always) listening to demos, since the great majority of people who make them like different kinds of sounds than I do. I usually have to extrapolate greatly from the demos - looking at the capabilities of the instrument, listening to maybe the core sound, if I can glean anything from that.

back when the wavestation came out, i read some rave reviews, and really liking the basic notion of wavesequencing, I bought one. I really hated it - mostly in that it just seemed intended for people who were into new agey sounds and music, and it was really tough to get away from that. Of course, this was years ago and I've learned a lot since then, but I still trust that instinct.

Has anyone who is into more experimental type far, NOT into making pretty sounds (I'm not criticizing people who are - i'm just trying to determine if this synth will work for me, maybe) had a go with this? It looks like there is tons of modulation, etc, and that one could potentially have great fun with it after or even during the learning curve. but i'm wondering if I'm going to have to fight the sounds.

EDIT: i've listened to demo after demo, several 'reviews', and i haven't heard the slightest hint that I wouldn't hate this thing. yeah, forget it. this is not made for me.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:44 pm

i've now spent a few evenings with mine, and have the following comments, subject to revision.

No demo that I have heard shows the capabilities of the machine. Almost all of them sound like people playing presets, and maybe applying the randomize function a bit (daniel fisher's).

While to some degree some of this is determined by the many editable parameters, and sequence editing, i find the interface to be pretty terrible in spots. A recognition of this would lead logically to a computer editor, which I think absolutely should be done by Korg. Unless I'm missing something there is simply no way to view any of the sequence lanes in their entirety - you have to go into each step individually. In fact, this is one of the problems with the machine - there are so many ways to sequence and modulate especially, but the ability to see what is going on is severely limited.

The modulation is incredibly comprehensive, and probably the reason why I've decided not to sell the machine. And the interface for this is pretty good and intuitive. But if you start getting lost, or if you retrieve a saved performance from a few days ago, it would be rather difficult to see what is going on. Again - a computer editor would help immensely here.

I'm not sure why they would have determined that having user samples wouldn't have improved the machine....i've seen some comments where the usual fanboy types claim that there is no need for user samples given the vast quantity of samples that are there, but that entirely misses the point of trying to create a sound that is your own. And ah - maybe sampling ability....but i guess that's the v2 pro version.

My limited brain tells me that wave sequencing is essentially a sequential switch, which can be done with any sounds....i'd like to see this core concept extended. It seems like a machine that was designed by committee - here is the wave sequencing, and oh, Brad - how about you make the modulations and give a nod to more experimental types.....

The manual sucks. The info is mostly there, but i'm finding it hard to learn from.

I'm going to try this weekend to try to start with something like an init patch and build it from the ground up.

this 'review' sounds very negative, but I think that the synth, even as is, holds great promise.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:18 pm

Not sure what you are wanting to see when viewing “any of the sequence lanes in their entirety”- you can see the overview of all of them showing each one’s start and stop steps, which step it’s currently on, etc. But if you mean show the whole sequence with the values for each step, yeah, you’d need a computer editor- there’s no way to fit that on a display even if it were many times larger.

I’m still hoping they’ll open it up to user samples eventually, there is extra memory there for it, and they haven’t said they WON’T do this. Otherwise, the only explanation is unfortunately what you said, they are saving that for the Pro version or whatever.

Not a perfect synth for many reasons, but I’d been wanting a Wavestation since forever and this is way cooler for a reasonable price, so I’m pretty satisfied.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:22 pm

i thought it was obvious that i was referring to the info that differs by step. Obviously this isn't needed for the sequence overview.

and also obviously you can't fit it all into the small screen. that doesn't make it any easier.

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:16 pm

Similar review to Nelson.

Most of my complex synths are Elektron, and I really miss their UI hierarchy and key combos like copy and paste. Even just changing the length of a wave sequence is on page 3 of the sequence screens for that lane..

Also navigating the sample list is so long and arbitrary. Could we have folders please??

But even just layering a few 1- or 2-wave sequences, this thing can sound really great

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:23 pm

good example....i was initially frustrated that I couldn't just change the length of one of the lanes directly - if it was 3 steps, you couldn't change it to 4. Then i found in the manual that you have to change the length on the utility page....why? I can't think of a single reason that you should have to change the length of the sequence on another page and then come back to edit the sequence parameters.

I'm currently looking for a way to init a patch? Nothing so far. (Edit - didn't see in manual, but duh - it's the first in the list of performances)

pmboos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:53 pm

I hope as you learn this, perhaps make a review or tutorial on this stuff? (Maybe even charge a small amount for it.)
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:07 pm

Some of you might like this example, curious to learn about other examples you've come across (or have made yourself) by now. :)
Gaun Yersel!

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:50 pm

after 'figuring it out', i haven't used it in about a week, but have focused on various bits of midi processing, and some easier synths.

to me, there is a strong, inherent contradiction in the design. On the one hand, with the incredible modulation routings, obviously was thought of by the 'modulation designer' as an experimental machine. But the 'timbral designer' thought, 'gee, people will get so confused if they can design their own sounds from scratch', and left it, inexplicably to my mind, as a preset sample only machine. I still haven't decided whether i want to work with this, since on the one hand, for me, it means continually fighting with the design. On the other hand, there is so much in there.

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:09 am

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:50 pm
preset sample only machine
On one hand I feel like this is not a fair association with the machine, given that you can pick a raw waveform and modulate, filter, layer and effect it to a greater extent than a traditional subtractive synth.. so the sample set is not the biggest restriction in my mind.

But at the same time, when making patches, what samples I pick has probably the largest effect on the timbre, so I spend a lot of time just browsing that long, long list of samples.

I'm failing to reach for it in the studio, too. I love the sound, but usually pick something simpler that I can zone out and patch without thinking intentionally. Not intending on selling it at this point though, I prefer it's sound to subtractive polyphonic synths. But I do find the UI slows me down.

Return to “General Gear”