MOTOR SYNTH

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

TobyB2019
Learning to Wiggle

Re: MOTOR SYNTH

Post by TobyB2019 »

I'm a fan of trying and encouraging new stuff ... one of the reasons I've bought GameChanger Audio stuff ... and things like the Motorsynth, Gotharmann's LD-3, Modor, Audiothingies, VectorSynth, etc. all far more interesting to me than most of the things the BIG companies are making (especially clones/copies/re-issues/re-imaginings of 70's analogue instruments!)
muddy ranks
Common Wiggler

Post by muddy ranks »

Ran into a couple of videos recently from this guy named Floyd Steinberg using Motor Synth to produce track so thought I'd share here. =]

And here's another from a different person running through some patches that he made for himself.
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

i loved the sound that i heard in demos by the company, so i took a chance and ordered one of these, which arrived today. Just sitting down with it now, and I'm thrilled.

now i'm wondering whether any owners here have used a mic on the motor itself and sent it through the audio input? Obviously the motors produce lots of noise (if one wants a quiet instrument, stay several planets away from this thing), and that actually intrigued me. But you know, in playing some drones on it (haven't sat down to figure out the sequencer or midi, etc - just churned out some droning sounds) the motor sounds really fit in. But of course that sound isn't recorded.

Has anyone attempted this? If so, do you have any recommendations on the type of mic, how best to attach it, etc? (I really know nothing about microphones)
behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy »

jebus. i still want one of these hellza bad.

Babbbbboooooo Of The Nelsons - hit me up if you end up not digging on yours?

so. how loud DOES it get? like. i share an office/music room with the wife, doubt i'd be able to run it when she's working. but. howwww louuuuud?
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy
GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:49 pm
Has anyone attempted this? If so, do you have any recommendations on the type of mic, how best to attach it, etc? (I really know nothing about microphones)
Don't have one, but first thought would be to tape on a contact mic
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

behndy wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:24 pm jebus. i still want one of these hellza bad.

so. how loud DOES it get? like. i share an office/music room with the wife, doubt i'd be able to run it when she's working. but. howwww louuuuud?
pretty damn loud....

i also would like to verify from an owner - i picked mine up on reverb, since the wait time is pretty long until the next batch. there is a note in the manual that the note record isn't implemented yet, but mentions a firmware update in august 2020. well....damn. but there are no firmware updates on the site, and sure as hell couldn't get the note record to work. so i just want to verify that it's not user error.
GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:58 pm
behndy wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:24 pm jebus. i still want one of these hellza bad.

pretty damn loud....

i also would like to verify from an owner - i picked mine up on reverb, since the wait time is pretty long until the next batch. there is a note in the manual that the note record isn't implemented yet, but mentions a firmware update in august 2020. well....damn. but there are no firmware updates on the site, and sure as hell couldn't get the note record to work. so i just want to verify that it's not user error.
Did you get one of the ones that was hardware updated to reduce noise? I watched a livestream with the makers and they mentioned that some have this some don't.
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

well, i kind of like it, but i don't know. there is a serial and a date on the box, and date said 11/2020, so i suspect that it is update? maybe not.
GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB »

Here's what they said in October:
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

mine looks like serial 216. that looks like a good video to watch though. thanks for that!

edit: he says in the video that the problem was with the first 125 units. those must have been very interesting....
strettara
which way is up?

Post by strettara »

Have to say I’m surprised by the variety of sounds they seem to be able to get out of it in that video, albeit all of a recognizable similarity. Looks like fun but definitely not anything I’d have a use for.
"Three generations of imbeciles is enough." - Oliver Wendell Holmes.

red
Wiggling with Experience

Post by red »

m o t o r

s y n t h

che macchina!
red
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

in some ways I am mentally fitting this into the niche of 'synth I've always wanted' in that it seems meant to center more around real industrial and artifical noise - traffic, construction, what the fuck, etc - stuff that you'd hear out in the city, on a train, etc, but maybe on another planet. the motor noise fits into that so well. I am going to take a short break and research contact mics - i know so little about them, how much one should pay attention to quality, various types, etc.

oh, and i really like the gamechanger people also. If they are people.
GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB »

Depending on what you want to capture, I'm now thinking a contact mic might not be what you want. The contact mic will pick up the vibrations transmitted through the case. I'd experiment with that first because I already have one and I'm curious. Any cheap piezo disc type would work (and on your violin too). If you want the high frequency whirs and buzzes from the air though, I'd use whatever I had around. Usi Pros would be my first try with what I've got, as they seem to excel at capturing small sounds, though they are omni so they'll pick up anything in the room. I'm also curious what an electromagnetic sensor like the Soma Ether would capture from the MS.

Either way, I'd think about re-recording a MIDI performance so as not to pick up those loud clicky buttons.
tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:05 pm in some ways I am mentally fitting this into the niche of 'synth I've always wanted' in that it seems meant to center more around real industrial and artifical noise - traffic, construction, what the fuck, etc - stuff that you'd hear out in the city, on a train, etc, but maybe on another planet. the motor noise fits into that so well. I am going to take a short break and research contact mics - i know so little about them, how much one should pay attention to quality, various types, etc.

oh, and i really like the gamechanger people also. If they are people.
I think korg do a reasonably respected contact mic for not much cash - I'll see if I can find it...
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

GrantB wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:34 am Depending on what you want to capture, I'm now thinking a contact mic might not be what you want. The contact mic will pick up the vibrations transmitted through the case. I'd experiment with that first because I already have one and I'm curious. Any cheap piezo disc type would work (and on your violin too). If you want the high frequency whirs and buzzes from the air though, I'd use whatever I had around. Usi Pros would be my first try with what I've got, as they seem to excel at capturing small sounds, though they are omni so they'll pick up anything in the room. I'm also curious what an electromagnetic sensor like the Soma Ether would capture from the MS.

Either way, I'd think about re-recording a MIDI performance so as not to pick up those loud clicky buttons.
the violin, a solid body, doesn't need another pickup. But I am ordering a couple of (what i researched to be) good contact mics. i'll give it a try. they should be useful for something.
strettara
which way is up?

Post by strettara »

Anyone interested in contact mics should check out Jez Riley French. I had a couple and seem to have lost them. He also does underwater mics. UK though.
Last edited by strettara on Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Three generations of imbeciles is enough." - Oliver Wendell Holmes.

TobyB2019
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TobyB2019 »

No firmware update as far as I know ... yet.
The noise isn't massive on mine, it's got the new washers suspension to keep it down ... it's far more noticeable when using the highest octaves when it's a high pitched whine. So far I have mainly been using it to try out bass arps, a bit like an Erica Synths DB-01, so low speeds and quieter much of the time. It's definitely noticeable ... but a useful approximation is playing an electric guitar ... when listening quietly, picking out a riff on a solid-bodied Strat or LP the string noise isn't much, but strumming a semi-hollow or hollow 335 or Gretsch you definitely notice it. Playing the MS with headphones on or at a significant volume, it's not an issue.
I think sticking an SM57 close-mic'ing it would be better than a piezo-buzzing contact mic if you wanted to capture it?
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

strettara wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:30 am Anyone interested in contact mics should check out Jez Riley French. I had a couple and seem to have lost them. He also does underwater mics. UK though.
that is actually whom I just ordered from
red
Wiggling with Experience

Post by red »

Just playing around with this crazy machine.... The mix of acoustic and electronic sounds is unusual - Motor Synth sounds much better than in any videos - a very dynamic and powerful sound - but with an amazing amount of control.

both ...from the same loud family

8-)
red
TobyB2019
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TobyB2019 »

I have the loud family too ... but you might want to introduce younger brother ... Light is MUCH more gentle and subtle if you want it to be ... and the same is true of the MS if you let it ...
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

this is just the most fucking weird sound generator. The manual is a bit sparse on detail, but once you get how to move around amongst the parameters and how to edit them, it's pretty easy.

trying to figure out what fx i like with it. played through their plasma rack last night, and while everything through the plasma sounds good, it takes away a little more than I'd like from the silly originality of the core sound here. trying a good reverb now. Just a little. Sounds really good.

fucking nazi demons from uranus applauding at my sounds. i can hear them. Stop it. Stop it. I'm being sucked into the input...arggggggggh
red
Wiggling with Experience

Post by red »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:35 pm fucking nazi demons from uranus applauding at my sounds. i can hear them. Stop it. Stop it. I'm being sucked into the input...arggggggggh
...how is such a statement supposed to enrich the discussion about the Motror Synth? Where is the connection ???
red
TobyB2019
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TobyB2019 »

[/quote]
...how is such a statement supposed to enrich the discussion about the Motror Synth?
[/quote]

I'm loosely interpreting this as "It doesn't sound or work like any of the re-issue/re-working/cloning/etc analogue synth's or X0X sampler/groove-boxes I have used so it's all a bit new"

And it is ... brilliant red flashing lights and all ... but it's not quite as mad as those Latvians make out ... not quite ...

Return to “General Gear”