MOTOR SYNTH

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

strettara
which way is up?

Re: MOTOR SYNTH

Post by strettara »

Have to agree that a music box is pretty obviously a completely different thing. And yes I’m a boomer so :fu:
"Three generations of imbeciles is enough." - Oliver Wendell Holmes.

Synth Con Meo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Synth Con Meo »

ugerhard wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:41 am From an email from Gamechanger Audio yesterday:
"Happy to say that we are finally shipping your Motor Synth order. It will be dispatched by the end of this week and you should receive it at some point from the 20th of July to the 24th of July."

:party:
Sweet! I don't remember where I am on the list, I think there was quite a few pre-orders before me. But hopefully I'll be receiving an shipping notification fairly soon.
Synth Con Meo
<RIP> Kibou, I miss you.
Grinder
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Grinder »

Motors wear out much faster than voice chips, interesting for sure but pass, doesn’t sound too unique to me.
muddy ranks
Common Wiggler

Post by muddy ranks »

From their social media, it looks like the first 50 shipped. (two larger batches planned to ship over in mid to late August and in September) I wonder how people are getting on with it. If anybody here's got one, don't be shy – share some sounds or first impressions! :tu:
muddy ranks
Common Wiggler

Post by muddy ranks »

Cool insight into the final unit.
winn3r
Wiggling with Experience

Post by winn3r »

Chaklack
Common Wiggler

Post by Chaklack »

My take away is that it sounds annoying in use and doesn't really do much for me (subjective) soundwise. Especially for 2k$
Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff »

winn3r wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:03 am There's one on FS/T already https://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4&t=235946 :hihi:
Yes, and at the “new” price, not at the Kickstarter price they undoubtedly paid :confused:
EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR »

FWIW the box artwork and the user manual really do look excellent. everything is time and money to develop. not sure how many people in here have every released a product at this scale. however I don't think I would by this. I would put 8 slew limiters before my 8 VCO's. that way I can unpatch them. I am not convinced that there are any wavetables that sound different when you start using a tone wheel organ. this is why B3 VST sound so good. now if you look at it from the other perspective.... how much of an inconvenience it would it be to patch up a slew every time you use a filter to simulate an LPG. people will buy the LPG instead. it is the features and flexibility vs the immediacy and conducive nature of purpose built modules.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist »

a noiz box that physically generates more noiz while working.
perfect!

should go well with my radioactive isotope S&H module.
:P
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space
gloamtrotter
Common Wiggler

Post by gloamtrotter »

I got mine in the mail today. First impressions are that it is very well built, cool looking and overall has been fun and interesting to use. I've found what i'd consider some sweet spots and overall have been happy with the sound i'm getting out of it.

However, the motor operational noise is insane, even at idle and especially at higher frequencies. I can almost smell my teeth getting drilled while i'm using it. I just turned it off after 20 minutes of using it and it was a massive relief on my ears. I'll probably end up using it with closed back headphones to protect my sanity. Still, I'm intrigued by it and not sorry I bought it, especially at the early price.

Curious to hear how other people will respond to the motor noise. Maybe my ears are too sensitive and I've spent too much time at the dentist...
PatrickW
Common Wiggler

Post by PatrickW »

gloamtrotter wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:19 am Curious to hear how other people will respond to the motor noise. Maybe my ears are too sensitive and I've spent too much time at the dentist...
I had only 10 minutes time to play it, but boy, this is some really weird instrument.
The sound is really great.
Even in my headphones, it produces a very thick raw sound.
The filters sound very agressive and fat.

But the sound of those motors, when you use one of the higher scales, it's scary.
I'm not kidding you.
The motors start to sound like a jet starting up its engine :eek:
This is definitely not an instrument that you want to let sit idle in your studio while powered on.
(Correction : just found out that if you turn the volume to zero, you can put the synth in "sleep mode", keeping it quiet exept for the fans)
Last edited by PatrickW on Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
winn3r
Wiggling with Experience

Post by winn3r »

For ambience :hihi: it's a feature not a bug!!
Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff »

wow... this is very good to know about the motor noise. Pretty much sounds like a dealbreaker (internal sigh of relief, one less synth to think about :D)
PatrickW
Common Wiggler

Post by PatrickW »

Sir Ruff wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:40 am wow... this is very good to know about the motor noise. Pretty much sounds like a dealbreaker (internal sigh of relief, one less synth to think about :D)

Personally, I'm extremely happy to have bought this "synth".

I think that this is one of the most unique electronic instruments I have ever experienced.
When you set the two voices in the 2' scale and then power it up, I would not be surprised if this thing would lift-off and fly away :hihi:
If you are allergic to "fan noise" in your studio, be prepared to be shocked :twisted:
In fact, this is the first music instrument in my life for which I bothered to read the safety measures written on the brochure in the box.

I would place this "instrument" in the same category as the Sherman Filterbank and the stuff from Soma : weird, unique, loads of character, not for the faint of heart, ...
Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff »

PatrickW wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:16 am
Sir Ruff wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:40 am wow... this is very good to know about the motor noise. Pretty much sounds like a dealbreaker (internal sigh of relief, one less synth to think about :D)

Personally, I'm extremely happy to have bought this "synth".

I think that this is one of the most unique electronic instruments I have ever experienced.
When you set the two voices in the 2' scale and then power it up, I would not be surprised that this thing would lift-off and fly away :hihi:
If you are allergic to "fan noise" in your studio, be prepared to be shocked :twisted:
In fact, this is the first music instrument in my life for which I bothered to read the safety measures written on the brochure in the box.

I would place this "instrument" in the same category as the Sherman Filterbank and the stuff from Soma : weird, unique, loads of character, not for the faint of heart, ...
yeah, I would love to try one, but as a hyperacusis sufferer, constant high-pitched whiny noises in the studio are a complete dealbreaker.
gloamtrotter
Common Wiggler

Post by gloamtrotter »

PatrickW wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:17 am (Correction : just found out that if you turn the volume to zero, you can put the synth in "sleep mode", keeping it quiet exept for the fans)
Nice, thanks for the tip. I was looking around the manual for something like that but couldn't find it.
otoskope
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by otoskope »

I just received mine, but I have a weird problem. Wave selector doesn't work - all I get is sine waves or the M (electromagnetic) wave. Saw and square are showed as labels in the display (so the switch works), but no difference in sound whatsoever. Oscilloscope diaply also just shows sine waves. Filter is off, so it's not that. All presets sound really dull because of this. I've seen in video reviews that it really should give very different timbres at the different settings, but not on mine :(
Anybody else has had the same problem?
I'm hoping it is a firmware bug or something, because I really don't want to have to send it back after all this wait.
(Yes, I have written to them, but also want to ask other owners.)

Btw, I received mine after they did the vibration insulation change - causing a couple of months extra delay. It seems much more quiet now! (Compared to what I've heard in videos and people's comments - never heard the early ones IRL.)
The brain is always greener on the other side.

soundcloud1 soundcloud2
bandcamp
youtube
Synth Con Meo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Synth Con Meo »

I'm still waiting for my confirmation of shipping.
Synth Con Meo
<RIP> Kibou, I miss you.
Blingley
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Blingley »

Can the guys who pulled the trigger and got theirs post some audio demos? It would be nice to see what you all come up with something this left-field.
comesect nocisum
Learning to Wiggle

Post by comesect nocisum »

this synth is the reason I didn't throw down on their spring reverb, which is perfect...I just got a feeling there would be an oops with such an ambitious team, idk...game changer is an appropriate name.
ugerhard
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ugerhard »

Blingley wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:23 pm Can the guys who pulled the trigger and got theirs post some audio demos? It would be nice to see what you all come up with something this left-field.
Not a demo per se, but here's a track that features the Motor Synth (the Motor Synth is the voice that comes in 30 seconds into the track):

https://soundcloud.com/udo-gerhards/mec ... iJCaqJlwk5

The Motor Synth is run through a T-Rex Replicator Junior tape echo. Additional gear on the track: Moog Subharmonicon, Moog Matriarch and Gotharman's SpazeDrum plus Fine Gear Dust Collector plus some VST effects.
Blingley
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Blingley »

ugerhard wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:55 am
Blingley wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:23 pm Can the guys who pulled the trigger and got theirs post some audio demos? It would be nice to see what you all come up with something this left-field.
Not a demo per se, but here's a track that features the Motor Synth (the Motor Synth is the voice that comes in 30 seconds into the track):

https://soundcloud.com/udo-gerhards/mec ... iJCaqJlwk5

The Motor Synth is run through a T-Rex Replicator Junior tape echo. Additional gear on the track: Moog Subharmonicon, Moog Matriarch and Gotharman's SpazeDrum plus Fine Gear Dust Collector plus some VST effects.
Thank you! That sounds beautiful. I do like how it bridges the gap between organic (Or I guess mechanical) and synthetic in the track. Definitely sounds like you put it to good use. :yay:
TobyB2019
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TobyB2019 »

Got mine yesterday. Seriously HEAVY Metal, very impressive bit of construction. Noisy on start-up ... and certainly when you hit the high notes ... I think it's this heavy to stop it taking off. It might be that putting a contact mic on it will provide an extra track to mix ...
Not been able to explore too much. Trying the presets (seems to be a lag turning the selector and finding them ...early days) it's not easy to get an idea of where its sweet spots might be. But just playing about with it, it seems potentially straight-forward setting oscillator, filter ... and is clearly capable of melodic stuff in some guise ... although like a Gothararmann it goes wild quite easily. I bought this on the early Kickstarter, intrigued ... but had it in mind that it might take on a role that others would go for with the EricaSynths Baseline ... and first impressions are that it might ...
Most noticeable so far is the legatto/portamento slew ... even with max acceleration and zero attack on the envelopes ... but with a touch of drive it still has a moderate bite (if not a snap) to potentially hold a pulse ... maybe it's a defining characteristic to make use of ...
sallyshapirofreak
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sallyshapirofreak »

Regardless of how it sounds, the sound generation is novel and NEW. Please support new ideas instead of ones stuck in the past.
Forward thinking companies and engineers +1 * 1+ Infinity please.

Return to “General Gear”