U.D.O. Super 6 hybrid "binaural" poly

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

ProtoAlf
Learning to Wiggle

Re: U.D.O. Super 6 hybrid "binaural" poly

Post by ProtoAlf » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:23 am

Awesome reply thanks.

Also just wanted to be clear that I wasn't accusing you of a nostalgia bias, I was wondering out loud if me being drawn to the OB-6 character was some kind of nostalgia bias on my own part.

I mean, I’d absolutely love both but there is no current way I could afford that or sensibly fit them into my setup.

After extensive listening I’m drawn to both but I think will go with the OB-6 for now and cover other poly duties with my arsenal of softsyths for the time being. I’m just really drawn to the sound. I have a variety of outboard filters with envelope followers I can experiment with to tame the fizz if the soft synths aren’t cutting it on a particular use case.

Man the Boards of Canada patch (first one) in that demo is so beautiful!

Thanks again for all your input I really do appreciate it.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:27 am

blipson wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:19 am
Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:26 am
you seem set on the ob-6
I think he's set on both and should pull the triggers accordingly. Shoot first and ask questions later.
legit thats what i did.
TOO FAR GONE

Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Illwiggle » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:53 pm

I tried the OB-6 at Guitar Center, didnt like it. Sounded too much like a DSI synth...didnt feel the Oberheim character coming thru. Maybe I was hoping for something that would be a little reminiscent of my OB-8, but suped up with modern twists... but it sounded boring to me.... the Prophet 6 was below it & sounded much better to me.

The best demos Ive heard of the Super 6 were from the Matt Johnson of Jamaroquai youtube demo and the long George Hearn interview where he tours the UDO workspace, he plays an amazing little set with 2 Super 6s. Those two demos convinced me to pull the trig on what logically didnt make sense to me, spending over $2k for a digital synth . Once it got into my hands, all reservations had vanished. This synth is amazing, I love how jammable it is & how many different sonic territories I can travel to so quickly

abmusic
Common Wiggler

Post by abmusic » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:49 pm

Illwiggle wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:53 pm
The best demos Ive heard of the Super 6 were from the Matt Johnson of Jamaroquai youtube demo and the long George Hearn interview where he tours the UDO workspace, he plays an amazing little set with 2 Super 6s. Those two demos convinced me to pull the trig on what logically didnt make sense to me, spending over $2k for a digital synth . Once it got into my hands, all reservations had vanished. This synth is amazing, I love how jammable it is & how many different sonic territories I can travel to so quickly
Seconded. The Super 6 has been a revelation for me. The way the filter/VCA affects the digital waveshapes has yielded some amazing pads and once you get the LFOs out of phase to mess around with the stereo image :sb:

I'm sure there are lots of synths that could approximate all the things S6 can do, but having it all in front of you in a logical way with a great layout allows for really exciting stretches of sound design. Really glad to have it!
Album "Schematic" Available Here:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/schem ... 1248682775

Also on Spotify!

ProtoAlf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ProtoAlf » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:41 pm

Illwiggle wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:53 pm
I tried the OB-6 at Guitar Center, didnt like it. Sounded too much like a DSI synth...didnt feel the Oberheim character coming thru. Maybe I was hoping for something that would be a little reminiscent of my OB-8, but suped up with modern twists... but it sounded boring to me.... the Prophet 6 was below it & sounded much better to me.
I actually own the Prophet 6 Desktop and find it too polite until you get into the polymod. I don't go near the distortion on it as I'm not a fan of the tone. I'm on the fence about selling it to fund this purchase.

ProtoAlf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ProtoAlf » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:15 am

So, I bought the Super 6. I went to a store and spent hours playing every synth they had (most of the big contenders). I was genuinely surprised at how shoddy some of the builds felt or looked once I had been on the Super 6 – including the OB-6, the caps make it look so cheap! I’d love the OB-6 in the future still (when I’m not a student) - the sound is just so beefy and commanding and probably quite complementary.

I realised I have an aversion to synths that lean on onboard FX to give it character .. for instance, I preferred my Subsequent 37 to the Pro-3 by a large margin. All very subjective really. I also feel that I can enter quite similar sonic territory to Super 6 with Massive X, but I think that Super 6 is bringing some interesting ideas to the table packaged in a way that’s totally inspiring and makes you want to explore and play it – which I am personally happy to pay for as I have the expendable savings / income to do this.

Thanks for your input and happy music making all 😊

everydaycurry
Wiggling with Experience

Post by everydaycurry » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:22 am

My Super 6 has been in NY Customs since the 19th. Hope they're just backed up and it's not lost but DHL handing it off to USPS makes it hard to figure out.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:14 am

everydaycurry wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:22 am
My Super 6 has been in NY Customs since the 19th. Hope they're just backed up and it's not lost but DHL handing it off to USPS makes it hard to figure out.
who’d your order from?
TOO FAR GONE

everydaycurry
Wiggling with Experience

Post by everydaycurry » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:30 pm

musicstore.de

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:54 pm

everydaycurry wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:30 pm
musicstore.de
i knew it! im waiting on something from them too. its been in customs since the 15th and so far they’ve been the least helpful company i’ve ever had the displeasure of doing business with. i know there’s a pandemic etc. but ive received three other items from europe during that same duration, all of which were ordered at a later date.
TOO FAR GONE

everydaycurry
Wiggling with Experience

Post by everydaycurry » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:46 pm

Yep, Pladask got me a pedal from Europe in 3 days this week. Smaller and all but that's been my experience with Europe purchases in general and why I felt confident ordering the Udo. I wonder if they screwed up the paperwork?

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:51 pm

everydaycurry wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:46 pm
Yep, Pladask got me a pedal from Europe in 3 days this week. Smaller and all but that's been my experience with Europe purchases in general and why I felt confident ordering the Udo. I wonder if they screwed up the paperwork?
i think they get cheap by handing it off to USPS instead of having the package stay with DHL but i cannot confirm.
TOO FAR GONE

Jee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jee » Sat May 01, 2021 2:55 am

Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:54 pm
everydaycurry wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:30 pm
musicstore.de
i knew it! im waiting on something from them too. its been in customs since the 15th and so far they’ve been the least helpful company i’ve ever had the displeasure of doing business with. i know there’s a pandemic etc. but ive received three other items from europe during that same duration, all of which were ordered at a later date.
Surprising, I purchase almost only from them and they were always super helpful, reactive and never argued when I had issues with some of my orders. I guess they cannot do much if it’s in customs except telling you it’s there, probably the transporter change or customs causing issue.

everydaycurry
Wiggling with Experience

Post by everydaycurry » Fri May 07, 2021 11:52 am

Finally made it out of customs and arrived - I don’t have monitors or… anything set up so I’ve just gotten to play a bit with headphones.

Very impressive - the high pass ‘off’ bass boost makes it thump hard. Preset A3 is an incredible electric piano sound, one of the best I’ve heard from a synth. Delay and chorus are both excellent.

Negatives: I’m going to have to actually read the manual to fully grasp the secondary functions and how to do quite a bit of stuff.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Fri May 07, 2021 11:25 pm

everydaycurry wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 11:52 am
Finally made it out of customs and arrived
my order from them is still rotting in customs somewhere. congrats on the new unit!
TOO FAR GONE

HenryBurlingame
Veteran Wiggler

Post by HenryBurlingame » Fri May 28, 2021 5:09 pm

Well this is easily the best synth I have ever played. If I could go back in time and just start with this and a pulsar 23 I could save myself a lot of time...

Hmm, but if I went back in time I couldn't get either of them... I guess we live in a pretty wonderful time for hardware synths! Lets enjoy it before spotify's AI can steal your musical style so they can stop paying you those pennies for your streams and just auto-generate your music in realtime for free!

ProtoAlf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ProtoAlf » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:05 pm

Anyone got opinions on a good mono synth to complement the super six? I currently own the Subsequent 37 which is basically the perfect modern bass and leads machine but eyeing off the Pro3 cautiously 8-)

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:51 pm

ProtoAlf wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:05 pm
Anyone got opinions on a good mono synth to complement the super six? I currently own the Subsequent 37 which is basically the perfect modern bass and leads machine but eyeing off the Pro3 cautiously 8-)
the Roland SH-101 compliments it perfectly.
TOO FAR GONE

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:53 pm

ProtoAlf wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:15 am

I realised I have an aversion to synths that lean on onboard FX to give it character ..
There is quite a history to the inclusion of fx in synths. In the early days it gave synths like the D50 (with EQ, delay, mod dx and reverb) bragging rights over competitors which at best had a delay or chorus.

Most of these fx were fine for live, but once in the studio their shortcomings (especially with reverb) were laid bare. This is why the Rack mount version of the D50 (which came after the keyboard version) had a setting that let you disable / enable reverb globally, on every patch.

Things have moved on a fair bit. My Nord A1 has excellent reverb, delay and mod fx, and can contribute extensively to a patch, especially because key parameters can be linked to the mod wheel and key velocity. So I am happy to see fx on synths as long as they sound good, and to some extent can be 'played' and form part of the performance.

strettara
which way is up?

Post by strettara » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:38 am

ProtoAlf wrote:
The Pro 3 is bloody amazing. I know nothing about synths but I'm right about this.
"Three generations of imbeciles is enough." - Oliver Wendell Holmes.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:47 am

Blairio wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:53 pm
Things have moved on a fair bit. My Nord A1 has excellent reverb, delay and mod fx, and can contribute extensively to a patch, especially because key parameters can be linked to the mod wheel and key velocity. So I am happy to see fx on synths as long as they sound good, and to some extent can be 'played' and form part of the performance.
i agree. i had the A1 for a minute and the effects section is excellent and a step-up from the Lead 4. my Virus TI2 has some of the nicest delays and reverb effects ive ever used. ive made so many patches they rely on the delay almost exclusively.

that being said, the delay and chorus on the Super 6 are world class. but its also one area where its obvious the inclusion of a small screen would have been nice i.e. tempo rate, clock divisions etc.
TOO FAR GONE

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:51 am

ProtoAlf wrote:
go with the Pro3, it´s perfect to complement the two you have, both in features and sound

gruebleengourd
Ultra Wiggler

Post by gruebleengourd » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:30 am

ProtoAlf wrote:
If you are interested in the flexibility of the pro3, and are willing to approach a different programming paradigm. I would highly recommend the motas-6. I replaced a pro3 with the motas and I couldn't be happier with the decision. While the motas may be more unusual in the programming department, despite less familiarity, I get the sounds i want faster as it doesn't suffer from UI decisions regarding the envelopes in the pro3.

Other than that, for what's available new, a TTSH / Korg 2600m (when released) or an Analog Solutions Fusebox would be my recommendation if you don't need patch memories.

HenryBurlingame
Veteran Wiggler

Post by HenryBurlingame » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:21 am

ProtoAlf wrote:
I think you've got it nailed with the subsequent 37, but don't let me talk you out of a new synth ;-).

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:57 pm

woot! DetMod has them in stock. mines should be here Wednesday. i am EXCITED.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

Return to “General Gear”